Message Boards

Topic : Career Goals

Number of Replies: 360
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:24:24 am
Author : dataimport
Are you stuck in a dead-end job, or do you feel you are on the career path of your dreams? Talk about how to set - and achieve - your goals!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 5, 2005, 5:20 pm CDT

WOW!

I have to begin with, wow! I didn't expect to get that kind of response. And both so different.   

I have been thinking long and hard about this for sometime now. And yesterday I made my decision. Both points of view made me realize what I want to do. And the reason I have made the choice is that the reason I left my previous long term job, was because I had no sense of reason when I was doing it. I need a reason and purpose to be doing something.   

So now I am on the path that I know is best for me. I want to thank you Rog for your support. You made me ask myself some of the questions that I had to ask myself.   

Thank you and all the best   

Nat   

September 5, 2005, 7:02 pm CDT

To Natalie

Quote From: bigred80

I have to begin with, wow! I didn't expect to get that kind of response. And both so different.   

I have been thinking long and hard about this for sometime now. And yesterday I made my decision. Both points of view made me realize what I want to do. And the reason I have made the choice is that the reason I left my previous long term job, was because I had no sense of reason when I was doing it. I need a reason and purpose to be doing something.   

So now I am on the path that I know is best for me. I want to thank you Rog for your support. You made me ask myself some of the questions that I had to ask myself.   

Thank you and all the best   

Nat   

And what pray tell did you dicide????? 

If it's the police dept - Be careful, be safe, learn how to defend yourself, tell your family you love them every single day, and Gods Speed. 

If it's the cafe - I will be here to lend my business knowledge if you need it. 

Take Care - Roger 

September 6, 2005, 4:22 am CDT

Career Goals

Quote From: renagade

And what pray tell did you dicide????? 

If it's the police dept - Be careful, be safe, learn how to defend yourself, tell your family you love them every single day, and Gods Speed. 

If it's the cafe - I will be here to lend my business knowledge if you need it. 

Take Care - Roger 

I have decided to Join the Federal Police.  

When I got the message from 'queentween' I realised that I would never be able to get past all those things that were mentioned. It's hard to explain. When I thought about running my own business, I could never visualise enjoyment in it and I thought to myself that if I went in to something with that feeling, that attitude, it was going to happen.  

The other factor is that my husband has been posted somewhere else, which would have meant splitting up my family. And without that support group I could not have coped. So why the police force? Well when I met my husband we were both in the Navy. I loved being a sailor, I just hated going to sea. I entertained the idea of joining a different force, but felt neither were me.  

I am very interested in counseling and helping people. However I also enjoy working in an environment that has clear guidelines, discipline, structure and chain of command. I also have to have variety in my work. I enjoy desk work and I love getting in and being physical. I like meeting people, but I like to have a certain level of contact. I feel that me as a person might not make a huge difference, but I can contribute to a group of people who do it every day.  

So again thank you so very much for your insight and guidance. It was much appreciated.  

All the best  

Natalie  

September 6, 2005, 1:50 pm CDT

All The Best Natalie

Quote From: bigred80

I have decided to Join the Federal Police.  

When I got the message from 'queentween' I realised that I would never be able to get past all those things that were mentioned. It's hard to explain. When I thought about running my own business, I could never visualise enjoyment in it and I thought to myself that if I went in to something with that feeling, that attitude, it was going to happen.  

The other factor is that my husband has been posted somewhere else, which would have meant splitting up my family. And without that support group I could not have coped. So why the police force? Well when I met my husband we were both in the Navy. I loved being a sailor, I just hated going to sea. I entertained the idea of joining a different force, but felt neither were me.  

I am very interested in counseling and helping people. However I also enjoy working in an environment that has clear guidelines, discipline, structure and chain of command. I also have to have variety in my work. I enjoy desk work and I love getting in and being physical. I like meeting people, but I like to have a certain level of contact. I feel that me as a person might not make a huge difference, but I can contribute to a group of people who do it every day.  

So again thank you so very much for your insight and guidance. It was much appreciated.  

All the best  

Natalie  

Your third paragraph says it best for you.  I still feel that 'queentween' is what nobody should listen to - this is an example of when people who go into business don't do their homework and still expect everything to function. 

You enjoy working in an environment that has clear guidelines, discipline, and all that 'good stuff'.  I am a person (left hander - mostly human - slightly intelligent) who if the guidelines arn't clear - I'll make them clear or do what I need to do, etc., etc.  For 11 1/2 years I worked for the Fed Govt and couldn't stand what you enjoy - different strokes/different folks.  I went back into the private world/some say real world, because Icould be myself.  In the business world - no one day is the same - almost new challenges every day where sometimes the only person you have to depend on is you - I personally Love it. 

Please keep reading this message board - as in 2 to 3 weeks there might be something. 

Take Care and Keep Yourself Safe 

Roger   

September 7, 2005, 7:26 am CDT

I Will stand Tall!

I am a single parent who has been unemployed due to illness related to a birth defect. I was born with club foot in my left foot in 1973. The doctors who performed the second surgery stitched together alot of the nerves in my foot and ankle. I've been a healthy, active person throughout my life, until about a year and a half ago. When it started, the doctors said that I had pinched the syatic nerve in my back. But, when it moved down to my foot and ankle I found out what real pain was. My condition is now controlled through medication and personal physical exercises and I'm ready to rejoin the workforce. I want to get a job that I can keep as a lifelong career and to take care of my daughter, as well as, my mother. I have an education from two technical schools and a wealth of work experience, not to mention an impressive list of references. I want to make my family proud, not to mention regain my sense of self worth. Any advice?   

ladymojo7 

September 7, 2005, 7:47 am CDT

First Step is...

Quote From: ladymojo7

I am a single parent who has been unemployed due to illness related to a birth defect. I was born with club foot in my left foot in 1973. The doctors who performed the second surgery stitched together alot of the nerves in my foot and ankle. I've been a healthy, active person throughout my life, until about a year and a half ago. When it started, the doctors said that I had pinched the syatic nerve in my back. But, when it moved down to my foot and ankle I found out what real pain was. My condition is now controlled through medication and personal physical exercises and I'm ready to rejoin the workforce. I want to get a job that I can keep as a lifelong career and to take care of my daughter, as well as, my mother. I have an education from two technical schools and a wealth of work experience, not to mention an impressive list of references. I want to make my family proud, not to mention regain my sense of self worth. Any advice?   

ladymojo7 

The first step is to stop worring - this will absolutly get you nowhere fast.  Do you know why you have no self worth, because you worry tooo much and probably listen to people instead of knowing who you are.  Your second last sentenance is the one I want you to focus on 'education from 2 schools and a wealth of work experince'. 

I can't say much now but will respond later - "Don't let anbody tell you you caint do something" 

Rog 

September 9, 2005, 1:35 pm CDT

Career Goals

Quote From: tray00

I am 31 a wife and mother of three.  I went back to work a year ago, after being home for 7yrs.  I work in a Doctors office, 4 evenings a week, 6 hours a day.  I have an opportunity to work for a surgeon 2 mornings a week and then in Jan go full time while his receptionist takes a 6 month maternity leave.  Most likely she will come back.  The pay is $4 more an hour and the the hours are day time, and also it is 40 hours a week rather then 24.   

I am not sure if I should take it, as after the 6 mths I won't have a job.  The doctor did say he would try to find me something with another doctors office.  Also my youngest is in kindergarden which is half days and I would be paying for daycare.  On the other hand, I would be home for supper, right now I don't get home until the kids are in bed........ 

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks so much! 

I just wanted to say that I took the job.  I will be starting full time in Jan, and the position will end in July.  I am so scared/nervous!  I am nervous about puting my kids in a dayhome, I am nervous about not finding a job after my time is up their.   

I know this will look good on my resume and possibly help me find something better in the future.  I also know that my income is going to double and then some and I can catch up on things that need to be paid.  But then after the six months and I don't find a job will I fall behind again......argh!  

September 9, 2005, 10:34 pm CDT

Why soo Scared??

I just wanted to say that I took the job.  I will be starting full time in Jan, and the position will end in July.  I am so scared/nervous!  I am nervous about puting my kids in a dayhome, I am nervous about not finding a job after my time is up their.   

I know this will look good on my resume and possibly help me find something better in the future.  I also know that my income is going to double and then some and I can catch up on things that need to be paid.  But then after the six months and I don't find a job will I fall behind again......argh!  

You are scaring your self into a whatever???  You are putting the cart before the horse.  Is it possible for you to calm down and think things thru - because with what your describing yourself as doing you ain't thinking at all. 

You have two Major problems that you are needlessly burdining yourself with - somewhere there is going to be good daycare, and haven't you ever done any networking for work.   

Is there something that you can do on the side that you might want to start a side business.  Are you good with the computer, etc. etc. 

Rog 

September 11, 2005, 8:44 am CDT

Career Goals

Quote From: renagade

You are scaring your self into a whatever???  You are putting the cart before the horse.  Is it possible for you to calm down and think things thru - because with what your describing yourself as doing you ain't thinking at all. 

You have two Major problems that you are needlessly burdining yourself with - somewhere there is going to be good daycare, and haven't you ever done any networking for work.   

Is there something that you can do on the side that you might want to start a side business.  Are you good with the computer, etc. etc. 

Rog 

Daycare:  they have to be able to drop off and pick my son up from school.  There is not very many people out thier who are willing to do that, or who live close enough to the school, or drive a big enough car to fit all the kids in...... 

Networking for work:  It has to be a good enough paying job in order for it to make sence to work it if you have to pay a babysitter.  Those jobs are hard to come by.   

Side Business:  nope, but if you have any ideas I would love to hear them!   

I thought I was thinking?  Thinking about what will happen after the 6 months is up, will I find a job soon enough before the next set of bills are due? 

Thanks.... 

September 11, 2005, 1:37 pm CDT

I hate to say this

Daycare:  they have to be able to drop off and pick my son up from school.  There is not very many people out thier who are willing to do that, or who live close enough to the school, or drive a big enough car to fit all the kids in...... 

Networking for work:  It has to be a good enough paying job in order for it to make sence to work it if you have to pay a babysitter.  Those jobs are hard to come by.   

Side Business:  nope, but if you have any ideas I would love to hear them!   

I thought I was thinking?  Thinking about what will happen after the 6 months is up, will I find a job soon enough before the next set of bills are due? 

Thanks.... 

But you are a very negative thinking person - you must have picked it up from someone or somewhere.  I don't think you have learned to go with the flow, or deal with life as it is handed to you. 

I am in the final stages of getting a business ready.  If you knew what I have had to go thru to get it to the final stage - my feeling is you would have given up - just by your responce. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last