Message Boards

Topic : Career Goals

Number of Replies: 360
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:24:24 am
Author : dataimport
Are you stuck in a dead-end job, or do you feel you are on the career path of your dreams? Talk about how to set - and achieve - your goals!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 23, 2005, 8:33 am CDT

Setting Goals

I have alot of trouble sticking to the goals I set.  I guess they are more wishes than goals because I am not unhappy when I don't make them.  I am pretty pleased with my life and don't feel the need to stress to reach another level.  I am in direct sales, a leader of my team, and I am always telling them to set goals, how to break them into smaller pieces, and I cheer them on when they achieve their goals.  I have been told and realize that I lead by example, but I can not seem to keep motivated myself.  I would love to prove to myself that I can set a goal and reach it.  I would love to have a steady show schedule and to lose 25 pounds and to keep that weight off. 

July 26, 2005, 9:26 pm CDT

Career Goals

Quote From: pccathe

I have alot of trouble sticking to the goals I set. I guess they are more wishes than goals because I am not unhappy when I don't make them. I am prettypleased with my life and don't feel the need to stress to reach another level. I am in direct sales, a leader of my team, and I am always telling them to set goals, how to break them into smaller pieces, and I cheer them on when they achieve their goals. I have been told and realize that I lead by example, but I can not seem to keep motivatedmyself. I would love to prove to myself that I can set a goal and reach it. I would love to have a steady show schedule and to lose 25 pounds and to keep that weight off.

I a similar problem.  It's a little different: My problem is that I set a goal but forget I set it.  It happens all the time.  Sometimes there is too much going on to keep track. 

How do you plan to lose the weight?  Any specific diet plan?

July 27, 2005, 9:21 am CDT

Career Goals

Quote From: acts431

I a similar problem. It's a little different: My problem is that I set a goal but forget I set it. It happens all the time. Sometimes there is too much going on to keep track.

How do you plan to lose the weight? Any specific diet plan?

Do you really forget or is the real problem that you just do not know how to get started on a goal?  Sometimes we push things off and then we say we do not have the time to do them.  A good way to stay on track with your goals is to use your word-processing system on your computer to list your goals and set tasks to achieve those goals. 

If losing weight is a goal you want to achieve you could start by making a list of healthy foods that you like or surf the net for good recipes that are healthy and make a shopping list before you go to the grocery store.  After ridding your pantry of junk food you should fit  a brisk walk in or turn on the radio and start dancing.  Even a small amount of activity combined with healthy foods can give you the strength to push you to meet your goals.

Remember, start with small goals that you know you can achieve.  This will allow you to gain confidence in yourself and your ability to achieve the goals  you set for yourself.

Kathy

July 28, 2005, 8:47 pm CDT

Career Goals

Quote From: thereaper

Do you really forget or is the real problem that you just do not know how to get started on a goal?  Sometimes we push things off and then we say we do not have the time to do them.  A good way to stay on track with your goals is to use your word-processing system on your computer to list your goals and set tasks to achieve those goals. 

If losing weight is a goal you want to achieve you could start by making a list of healthy foods that you like or surf the net for good recipes that are healthy and make a shopping list before you go to the grocery store.  After ridding your pantry of junk food you should fit  a brisk walk in or turn on the radio and start dancing.  Even a small amount of activity combined with healthy foods can give you the strength to push you to meet your goals.

Remember, start with small goals that you know you can achieve.  This will allow you to gain confidence in yourself and your ability to achieve the goals  you set for yourself.

Kathy

Yikes! You cought me.  Sometimes it's both.  At times I don't know how to get started, so I procrastinate.  Other times my short term memory fails me (medical situation).  That happens more often than I would like to admit because it's very embarrasing.  It seems like I can't get a grip on my own mind at times.  Sometimes I can't remember very simple things and it scares me. 

Thanks for the advice.  It's definatley worth doing. 

July 30, 2005, 3:18 am CDT

Slightly off topic

Hi

I know this is slightly off the topic of career goals, but it as close to my question as I could find.

For me to ask my question first I need to give a little background. When I left school I worked in a few casual jobs until I was employed Full time for about four and a half years. In that time I had my son and chose not to go back to work. After a few months of being an at home mum I realised that I am the type of person who needs to be busy or I go nuts and clean everything. So I went back to work. I left that job a few weeks ago because it was completely unsatisfying and my boss wasn't a nice person.

Anyway I have had arrange of jobs from cashier, to cleaner, to day care even the defence force and I still don't know what I want to do. I must add that I am only 25.

I have this feeling of wanting to go somewhere, I just have no idea where that somewhere is.

Anyone have suggestions on finding/changing career?

Thanks

Natalie

July 30, 2005, 5:36 am CDT

Career Goals

Quote From: bigred80

Hi

I know this is slightly off the topic of career goals, but it as close to my question as I could find.

For me to ask my question first I need to give a little background. When I left school I worked in a few casual jobs until I was employed Full time for about four and a half years. In that time I had my son and chose not to go back to work. After a few months of being an at home mum I realised that I am the type of person who needs to be busy or I go nuts and clean everything. So I went back to work. I left that job a few weeks ago because it was completely unsatisfying and my boss wasn't a nice person.

Anyway I have had arrange of jobs from cashier, to cleaner, to day care even the defence force and I still don't know what I want to do. I must add that I am only 25.

I have this feeling of wanting to go somewhere, I just have no idea where that somewhere is.

Thanks

Natalie

hi Natalie,

I understand what you mean by not knowing what you want to do. Am in my mid-30s and up to this point i still am not sure what i want to do - careerwise. although i think am getting there, after such a long time of finding and searching. while going through this though, i kept my day job and after office hours i'd do some reading, research, on books about finding your passion etc, tried the exercises in the books. eventually i decided to just go out there and try new things. slowly, i get to realise what i want after trying some jobs or projects. i find that it's only when we go out and try out what we think our passion is, is the way to find out if it's really something we want to do.

August 27, 2005, 2:34 pm CDT

Natalie

Hi

Thanks

Natalie

I can relate to you to some degree.  My background is finance/accounting and after being fired from almost every job I have had because I tried to show them that the accounting needed cleaning up or they were week in this/that area - I finally went out on my own.  I then found out that business owners were a lot of the times afraid to know what was actually going on - so let sleeping dogs lie. 

I then heard about this book 'Rich Dad - Poor Dad' that was about the authors father who had an earned Phd in education, rose up to be Superintendent of schools and died broke - the other dad who was actually his best friend in schools dad never went past the 7th grade, owned a couple of businesses and when he died he left and estate of 10 million.  It was about the way these two men thought.  They only agreed that education was the best thing for you and Tuesday was the day that came after Monday!  They disagreed on everything else. 

Reading this book I found out where I was wrong, and have set out to change things which I am in the process of doing.  I found out that I didn't want to 'as the author says - be a slave to a paycheck and wait for a retirement that may not be there'.  The author says that most people do not use their brains to its fullest.  The other factor he says is to create wealth - and that is exactly what I am attempting to do. 

Rog 

August 30, 2005, 4:19 pm CDT

Have I got this right?

Quote From: renagade

I can relate to you to some degree.  My background is finance/accounting and after being fired from almost every job I have had because I tried to show them that the accounting needed cleaning up or they were week in this/that area - I finally went out on my own.  I then found out that business owners were a lot of the times afraid to know what was actually going on - so let sleeping dogs lie. 

I then heard about this book 'Rich Dad - Poor Dad' that was about the authors father who had an earned Phd in education, rose up to be Superintendent of schools and died broke - the other dad who was actually his best friend in schools dad never went past the 7th grade, owned a couple of businesses and when he died he left and estate of 10 million.  It was about the way these two men thought.  They only agreed that education was the best thing for you and Tuesday was the day that came after Monday!  They disagreed on everything else. 

Reading this book I found out where I was wrong, and have set out to change things which I am in the process of doing.  I found out that I didn't want to 'as the author says - be a slave to a paycheck and wait for a retirement that may not be there'.  The author says that most people do not use their brains to its fullest.  The other factor he says is to create wealth - and that is exactly what I am attempting to do. 

Rog 

Thank you for your advice. Are you saying, that instead of focusing on my insecurities and failures, I should be focusing on my abilities and goals?  

I have thought about stepping out on my own, starting a business, fear always holds me back. My husband and I have had great ideas for business, but as soon as the idea is out there we are talking ourselves out of it.  

My goal in life isn't to be super rich (however it would be nice!), but to be happy and be able to provide a future for my son, whatever he wants to do. All I want is to be is "comfortable". But along the way I want to being doing something that is right for me. I don't see the point of having money and being to depressed, overworked etc to enjoy it.  

Thank you   

Natalie  

August 30, 2005, 10:32 pm CDT

Need some advice...

I am 31 a wife and mother of three.  I went back to work a year ago, after being home for 7yrs.  I work in a Doctors office, 4 evenings a week, 6 hours a day.  I have an opportunity to work for a surgeon 2 mornings a week and then in Jan go full time while his receptionist takes a 6 month maternity leave.  Most likely she will come back.  The pay is $4 more an hour and the the hours are day time, and also it is 40 hours a week rather then 24.   

I am not sure if I should take it, as after the 6 mths I won't have a job.  The doctor did say he would try to find me something with another doctors office.  Also my youngest is in kindergarden which is half days and I would be paying for daycare.  On the other hand, I would be home for supper, right now I don't get home until the kids are in bed........ 

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks so much! 

August 31, 2005, 9:37 pm CDT

Natalie, Natalie

Thank you for your advice. Are you saying, that instead of focusing on my insecurities and failures, I should be focusing on my abilities and goals?  

I have thought about stepping out on my own, starting a business, fear always holds me back. My husband and I have had great ideas for business, but as soon as the idea is out there we are talking ourselves out of it.  

My goal in life isn't to be super rich (however it would be nice!), but to be happy and be able to provide a future for my son, whatever he wants to do. All I want is to be is "comfortable". But along the way I want to being doing something that is right for me. I don't see the point of having money and being to depressed, overworked etc to enjoy it.  

Thank you   

Natalie  

Why on earth are you focusing on your insecurities and failures - this is one of the prime reasons people don't get ahead.  Insecurities and failures are not the same.  An insecurity is either real or imangined.   If it is real ok - deal with it and correct it if possible - if not - forgetaboutit.  A failure can and should be a learning tool.  Every time you fail at something - fine - learn from it. 

Yes - Natalie - you should be focusing on your abilities and goals.  I don't know why you arn't in the first place??? 

Is it fear of failure or fear of being successful, or fear of standing out from others that holds you back?    I further read about 'Rich Dad Poor Dad' that Rich Dad  had failures and made many mistakes - and he learned from each one.  I am doing the same.   I am waiting for one last ok to finish my website - and am waiting for another item to happen (lets say Part B). 

If your thinking of starting a business pick an area that you know a lot about, feel comfortable with, and can have fun with - yes have fun with. 

The other item that I employ and don't imploy is - I don't use a 'positive mental attitude' - I use a 'factual mental attitude' - this means that I deal with life as it comes.  Too many people that have a positive mental attutide get angry over negatives that happen - they say 'no I'm only going to be positive today - well how about being real. 

It is good that your goal is not to be superrich - making money should never, never be a goal.  Having a business that gives people what they want, and that belives in Customer Service Par Excellencant well get you there.  I read an article on customer service that said 4% of the people complain the other 96% go home angry - this is what will kill any business. 

Let me know your thoughts.              Rog 

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last