Message Boards

Topic : Career Goals

Number of Replies: 360
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:24:24 am
Author : dataimport
Are you stuck in a dead-end job, or do you feel you are on the career path of your dreams? Talk about how to set - and achieve - your goals!

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 13, 2005, 6:51 am CDT

Career Goals

Quote From: renagade

But you are a very negative thinking person - you must have picked it up from someone or somewhere.  I don't think you have learned to go with the flow, or deal with life as it is handed to you. 

I am in the final stages of getting a business ready.  If you knew what I have had to go thru to get it to the final stage - my feeling is you would have given up - just by your responce. 

You bet I have learned to go with the flow and take what life hands me.  I had a baby at 15, missed one day of school, went to high school eveyday for the next 2.5 yrs went to college and got a job.  Got married, started our own business sold the business a few years later.  Moved to another province - I stayed at home for 7 yrs and ran my dayhome.  Over the past 7 yrs we have struggled with money, haven't a dayhome isn't a secure income (kids come and go) I have fallen behind in bills and I am not ready to do that again.  I want to be a sucessfull person and I think by taking this new job it will get me thier, but I am scared that I will fall behind in bills again until I find my new job after this 6 months is up.   

I thank you for your responce, but I don't think I am being negative, I think scared of not having any money.....I dont' have a line of credit or credit cards I can rely on in the mean time.   

Thanks. 

September 13, 2005, 2:44 pm CDT

You are right

Quote From: tray00

You bet I have learned to go with the flow and take what life hands me.  I had a baby at 15, missed one day of school, went to high school eveyday for the next 2.5 yrs went to college and got a job.  Got married, started our own business sold the business a few years later.  Moved to another province - I stayed at home for 7 yrs and ran my dayhome.  Over the past 7 yrs we have struggled with money, haven't a dayhome isn't a secure income (kids come and go) I have fallen behind in bills and I am not ready to do that again.  I want to be a sucessfull person and I think by taking this new job it will get me thier, but I am scared that I will fall behind in bills again until I find my new job after this 6 months is up.   

I thank you for your responce, but I don't think I am being negative, I think scared of not having any money.....I dont' have a line of credit or credit cards I can rely on in the mean time.   

Thanks. 

Life has made you scared and I feel afraid not so much of life per say but afraid, just plain afraid, and not having any money only compounds this fear.  In fact I think you are taking your fears to a higher level.  Do you really no why you are doing this to yourself or is it because of not having any money? 

Falling behind in bills is no fun, however it has made you fearful.  You say you want to be a successfull person, but afraid of falling behind in bills - your fear is going to cancel out your success. 

I too am behind in bills am and in debt - however - there is a huge difference between us - I am concentrating on creating income and not on the bills.  I know that the bills were there yesterday, I know that the bills are here today, and I know that the bills will be there tommorrow, but I also know that if my focus is on creating/getting income - that will take care of the bills. 

YOU have got to take care of your fear.  Please do yourself that favor. 

Rog 

September 15, 2005, 1:43 pm CDT

Career Goals

Life has made you scared and I feel afraid not so much of life per say but afraid, just plain afraid, and not having any money only compounds this fear.  In fact I think you are taking your fears to a higher level.  Do you really no why you are doing this to yourself or is it because of not having any money? 

Falling behind in bills is no fun, however it has made you fearful.  You say you want to be a successfull person, but afraid of falling behind in bills - your fear is going to cancel out your success. 

I too am behind in bills am and in debt - however - there is a huge difference between us - I am concentrating on creating income and not on the bills.  I know that the bills were there yesterday, I know that the bills are here today, and I know that the bills will be there tommorrow, but I also know that if my focus is on creating/getting income - that will take care of the bills. 

YOU have got to take care of your fear.  Please do yourself that favor. 

Rog 

Thank you for your input. 

September 26, 2005, 6:04 pm CDT

hmmm

I have never heard such a negative responce from a business owner ever.  A business never has to be operated 24/7 unless the owner/management do not know what they are doing.  I have been to many restrauants and things followed smoothly. 

Yes when you have a business it does take a lot to get it going - but after the rough spots have been ironed out - owners/management should be able to keep the pace going with relative ease. 

When you hire people - you should be able to choose those that know what their doing from those that don't.  The only area I agree with you is family - they should never be a part of it unless they want to be. 

As far as the licensing to taxes to to to - if you hired people to do that then why are you complaining - or did you do that yourself - bad mistake. 

Rog 

Well, its obvious that you have never owned a business that operated 7 days a week. A restaurant caters to the needs of its customers, not to the needs of its owners. It would be lovely to trot out at 7am to make some beautiful muffins and jam. However, if the business caters to a working crowd, and opens at 5am, someone has to be there at 4am getting ready. And, if the opener decides to get sick, have kids that get sick, a car that doesn't run, and another sort of calamity, SOMEONE has to be there for the customers. And if the night staff discovers that the grill has a gas leak at 9pm, SOMEONE has to take charge. If you are the owner of a small business, that person is you. Get off your high horse and realize that actual work is involved with owning a business that meets the public.  

In retrospect, was my business a success? Yes. It brought in steady income for 15 years and gave me a financial base for  the rest of my life. People in the town it was located ask almost daily if I would buy it back from the present owner, and tell me how much they miss it. I wouldn't commit the time again for any amount of money. I started a small home party company (Black DIamond ent.)selling adult toys and lingerie and have fabulous salepeople making great money and making me some too. 

In reading your posts, its apparent that at 52, you are still trying to develop something for your financial future. You are about 2 decades too late. The early bird gets the worm, baby. 

October 5, 2005, 4:22 pm CDT

How do you get experience

I was wondering if anyone has been in this situation. I am just finishing my schooling to become a Medical Coder and Biller. I have been putting in resumes but most of the ads I come across they want 2 or more experience. There are very few employers that are willing to train, I was wondering where do I get the experience so I can get the job. The school has a graduate service center and have signed up for a couple of temp agencies but I am afraid that is not enough. It seems that no employer wants to really train anymore. I think if more employers were willing to train then I think more people would not be in povtrey. 

diane 

October 5, 2005, 9:21 pm CDT

Career Goals

Quote From: dianem1965

I was wondering if anyone has been in this situation. I am just finishing my schooling to become a Medical Coder and Biller. I have been putting in resumes but most of the ads I come across they want 2 or more experience. There are very few employers that are willing to train, I was wondering where do I get the experience so I can get the job. The school has a graduate service center and have signed up for a couple of temp agencies but I am afraid that is not enough. It seems that no employer wants to really train anymore. I think if more employers were willing to train then I think more people would not be in povtrey. 

diane 

I really don't have an answer for you but temp services can be a good thing. My husabnd went through a temp service I think 10 years ago and the company that he was working for hired him full time and he hasn't had problems findinfg jobs since then. With him, it came down to his good attitude and desire to work and learn and if an employer sees the potential and good qualities that one has, they would probably be more opened in training, at least that is what happened with my husband. He continued to send out resumes and searching but in the end, working through this temp service benefitted him a great deal and it did bring in money. It isn't like you have to stay there for ever but something is better then nothing and with hard work, a good attitude and persistence, you will eventually get where you want to be.

October 5, 2005, 9:39 pm CDT

I agree with jettav

Quote From: dianem1965

diane 

Go to a temp service, they can be wonderful.  I also agree with you, only real good employers want to train anymore - and even if they say 'will train' that means you still must have experience, we will train you 'our way'. 

October 8, 2005, 12:16 am CDT

Get an Internship

Go to a temp service, they can be wonderful.  I also agree with you, only real good employers want to train anymore - and even if they say 'will train' that means you still must have experience, we will train you 'our way'. 

Unfortunately, you're facing a double edge sword -- you need experience in your field, but nobody wants to hire you for the experience. I have a solution, but you might not like it -- become an intern for the company you want to work for. Employers LOVE to hire interns becaue they don't have to pay them. Although you won't be getting paid, you'll be getting something more valuable -- college credit and real life work experience in your field. Plus, if you work as an intern, you'll have a better chance of scoring a job with the company because you'll already be working there and have many opportunities to prove to everything that YOU ARE THE RIGHT CANDIDATE FOR THE JOB!! Good Luck!

October 8, 2005, 12:20 am CDT

Get an Internship

Unfortunately, you're facing a double edge sword -- you need experience in your field, but nobody wants to hire you for the experience. I have a solution, but you might not like it -- become an intern for the company you want to work for. Employers LOVE to hire interns becaue they don't have to pay them. Although you won't be getting paid, you'll be getting something more valuable -- college credit and real life work experience in your field. Plus, if you work as an intern, you'll have a better chance of scoring a job with the company because you'll already be working there and have many opportunities to prove to everything that YOU ARE THE RIGHT CANDIDATE FOR THE JOB!! Good Luck!

October 8, 2005, 5:08 am CDT

Career Goals

Just needing to let off a little steam:

I have a highschool diploma. I've done college, TWICE. I recently graduated from a medical program with honours. However, I cannot seem to be able to get a decent job!! It's so hard to get a job in the hospital. My cousin did the medical course with me. He has next to no education (he didn't even finish highschool), HOWEVER, he got an interview for a job with a hospital, but I, someone who has highschool and college education, cannot even get an interview!!!!  My friends all have decent jobs, and most of them never did college. Why is it that the ones who never went onto higher education have the good jobs, and I'm stuck bussing tables!

I'm only 21, and I plan on going back to school in January to get even more education. It's just so depressing. I hate my job. Well, I dont HATE it. It's a nice job to hold for someone my age and thats going to school; but I only make about $400 a month!! I'm also sick and tired of being scheduled in to work EVERY single weekend, including this thanksgiving weekend, I have to work a 10 hour shift, plus I'm closing every day and I won't be able to be with my family on thanksgiving!  I havn't been able to spend time with my friends in months, since they work during the week, and have the weekends off...but I work during the week, and all weekend.

I'm contemplating qutting my job, as I see no point in working there anymore: I only make just enough money for gas to get me to work, I have been working there since June and I still havn't been able to buy ONE thing for myself besides gas! Whats the point of working if all you can afford is gas to get to work?!? I work my butt off, and I still make nothing. I miss my friends. It's starting to depress me! Just needed to let that out!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last