Message Boards

Topic : 06/10 Deadly Kids

Number of Replies: 247
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 12, 2007, 02:54:58 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 10/18/07) What if you feared your own child? Dr. Phil's guests say they worry that one day they may die at the hands of their offspring. Steven and Tori say Steven's 9-year-old son, Donovan, poisoned his siblings and then laced Tori's drink with aquarium cleaner. They say he laughed after his family members went to the hospital and has not shown remorse for his sinister acts. He's now in a treatment facility, but should Tori and Steven allow him back into their home once he's released? Then, Susie narrowly escaped death after her stepson tried to brutally kill her with a gun and then a knife. He's now behind bars, so why does she fear he will try to finish the job? And, Carrie and Lance fear their son, Michael, will be the next shocking murder headline. They say he threatened to cut his teacher's eyes out with a knife and kill his younger sister. When Michael becomes enraged, Carrie locks herself in the bedroom for fear of what he might do. Find out what Dr. Phil cameras caught on tape while at Carrie and Lance's house. And, why do the parents feel their son's behavior is influencing their daughter? What does Dr. Phil think is at the root of Michael's rage? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

June 10, 2008, 12:32 pm CDT

Protect the other children

In the case regarding Donovan, the parents are responsible for ensuring the safety of the other children first and foremost, this child is clearly very disturbed and should not be around them.  You wouldn't let anyone around your kids you knew was dangerous and that should apply to other your other children too.

June 10, 2008, 1:11 pm CDT

06/10 Deadly Kids

Quote From: courtneyb26

In the case regarding Donovan, the parents are responsible for ensuring the safety of the other children first and foremost, this child is clearly very disturbed and should not be around them.  You wouldn't let anyone around your kids you knew was dangerous and that should apply to other your other children too.
Tori says she began noticing Donovan's dangerous behavior when she began dating Stephen. No way I'd bring that into my children's lives by getting married. Maybe children shouldn't always come first, but their safety certainly should.

June 10, 2008, 1:21 pm CDT

bad egg?

Come on Dr Phil! Are you just trying to be nice and not tell these people Donovan is sick, very sick? If he is not a "bad egg" I don't know what is.

Sorry I disagree with all children being born with a clean slate. I know people who have had a rotten childhood turn out to be wonderful parents because they do NOT want to repeat what was done to them.

I believe people like Donovan are born that way. Just think of all that can go wrong while the brain is developing in utero.  I would never let him stay with me or my kids and put them in harms way. Sorry if anyone disagrees with me but this is MY opinion.

June 10, 2008, 1:58 pm CDT

06/10 Deadly Kids

Quote From: gammy58

Come on Dr Phil! Are you just trying to be nice and not tell these people Donovan is sick, very sick? If he is not a "bad egg" I don't know what is.

Sorry I disagree with all children being born with a clean slate. I know people who have had a rotten childhood turn out to be wonderful parents because they do NOT want to repeat what was done to them.

I believe people like Donovan are born that way. Just think of all that can go wrong while the brain is developing in utero.  I would never let him stay with me or my kids and put them in harms way. Sorry if anyone disagrees with me but this is MY opinion.

I have to agree with you!

I do believe that some children are simply born bad....and I believe these kids shown today are some of them. Look in their eyes and it's like looking into a black hole. I seriously doubt if any intervention will do any good.....but, I truly hope that I'm wrong and that there somehow is hope for these kids.

I'll tell you one thing, though:  I would NEVER lock myself in my room out of fear of my own child....or stepchild...or any child, for that matter. My house, MY rules!! What the hell does that kid do when his mother is locked in her room? Whoopee...he has the place all to himself to wreak havoc...which, I'm sure, is his goal.

I'm really tired of parents letting kids rule. The goal of these parents HAS to be to get them out of the house and into an in-house treatment facility where they cannot harm anyone. Permanently, if necessary!

June 10, 2008, 2:13 pm CDT

06/10 Deadly Kids

Quote From: ramair

Tori said that Donovan began acting out when she and Stephen first started dating. For me, that would be a deal-breaker. Especially if he were already threatening my own children. Not only wouldn't I have married Stephen. I would've broken off the relationship.

Boy, I'm with you on that one!!

Your children's safety and well-being should always be put first...no man is worth putting ahead of that. After all, your child has no ability to chose his/her own living situation; as a parent you are responsible for making sure it's a healthy and safe environment.

I have seen such rage in children today....and it's getting worse. A big part of it, I believe is because of the selfish, immature, lazy, and absolutely clueless parents they are stuck with who make horrible choices based solely on what they want, and the kids are left totally adrift.

June 10, 2008, 2:30 pm CDT

very upset over the carrie and lance story with michael

I wish Dr. Phil would have done more reseacrh on this couple with their child.  While there is no doubt that Michael is very disturbed, Dr. Phil should have inquired about the parents mental health history (i.e drugs consumed during pregnancy, maternal mental health history...etc).  If the parents would be straight forward regarding their own issues, it would benefit Michael more........ I only wish I would have seen the show on the original air date........I hope for Michael's sake, everything comes out. 

June 10, 2008, 2:32 pm CDT

Between a rock and a hard place....

Quote From: shawnylou

My lil 8 year old boy has the best smile on earth and the most precious face. He has been talking steadily since he was born making all sorts of sounds and babble ,he has the imagination of a future author to be and can go to any world in his mind. His large motor skills are beyong those of his age, his small motor skills are behind by at least 2-3 years and he is just starting to learn to read. He has just learned to hold a pencil.

This is his DX: He is BI-POLAR, Attachment disorder, ODD, and possibly early on-set shizophrenia. Is there a possibility if border line autism? Maybe. He has a high IQ and is cunning.

He has serious asthma and is on madications for that is advair, albuteral zyrtac and a nose spray nasennex.[ he has a nebulizer when things get too bad  In psychiatric meds, he has lamictal ,clonidine  Seroquel and when he gets so violent he will kill you and anyone he comes in contact with, we do GIVE HIM ketamine *K*  as the physicians call this hard medication. He is alergic to everything as  is his brother. he is an active kid and loves the outdoors and bike and rides and runs around and screams and plays harder than most. His older brother age 13 is not violent and is calm and .

The 8 year old is in a special school with a room if he acts up that is padded for the school staff to put him into so he does not hurt himself or anyone else.

Remember he is a precious child when not inflamed with hate and anger fear.

he has beat me and kicked me so hard I had bruises on my legs for weeks and at times I am scared to pieces of him. I am unable to take him to church because of his un-predictability and he would scare the lil ones to pieces. He has hardly any friends in the neighborhood. He never has anyone show up to his birthday party. He will fight just about anyone and threaten them with their lives.

My husband and I cannot leave him with a regular sitter, we have to have professioanl sitters who know how to handle this kid and NOT hurt him and know how to restrain him accordingly.  WE had CPS called on us at a lab one time because we had to restrain him for a blood draw and the lab tecnician refised to draw blood from the child because he was afraid of the child and so I threatened his job and he came back at me. CPS came in and knew about the child and said " Oh this lil guy"  I get the bruises and the child is fine. For all blood draws now they sedate him. For teeth fillings they use anesthesia and for me they use " Oh honey we admire you" really?

I /we do not want to lose this child and we struggle daily to weekly to hold on tight to this human being who we know can turn out to be a bit different in many ways. he is very VERY violent and yet he can be a pussy cat too. We do not keep any guns in the house, we would be dead by now and knives are carefully maintained. We have 4 cats and one dog. When he gets angry we have taught him if he hurts an animal we call the police. We have called the police on hurting humans and have had to call them when he refused to take his meds when he tore the hosue apart from one end to the next. A piece of dust set him off. CPS is now looking into respite care for my husband and I so we can go out once a month.. maybe. I trust no one with him , he is hard to handle and if he got hurt I would come apart. OR for that matter if anyone else got hurt I would come apart.. hell this is hard...

Boy, you really have a tough situation on your hands, and I truly feel for you. But, at the same time, I have to wonder if he would not be better off in a treatment facility, only because you are not medically qualified to give him the psychiatric treatment he needs, nor are you able to restrain him as he will need to be as he gets older and stronger. He's only 8 now....what will you do when he is able to overpower you? You're already afraid for your life, and you and everyone else who comes into contact with him is afraid.

You say you have threatened to call the police if he hurts the cats and dog....and does that work? If it does, why doesn't he respond to that threat regarding humans? (I have to wonder if he does hurt those animals when you aren't looking.)

Sometimes, you just have to make tough choices for the good of everyone.

June 10, 2008, 2:36 pm CDT

My child

My stepson is 4 almost 5. His real mother did all kinds of drugs when she was pregnant with him, then after he was born, kept him drugged to keep him alseep. When he got old enough to walk she would lock him in a dark room all day, or tie him to a tree with a rope. Yes his dad tried MANY times to get custody of him but the courts wouldnt give him to his dad. Untill she tied him to a dock (the people next door saw all this) and he fll him and drowned. They had to revive him. They have no idea how long he as out. They took him to the hospital. They did NO testing because he was up running around.   This is just some of my stepson's history.  We've had custody of him for almost 3 yrs. Let me tell you unless you live with this child, you have no idea. You can't make this child happy, no matter what you do. He throws fits 99% of the day. He wont play with anything any longer than 30 secounds, then he breaks it. My husband and I had a baby together, and we caught him with a pillow over the babys face. We asked why he did this he said "Because you have to feed him". Talking about punishment, there is NO form that works with this child. We have tried everything. Getting back to the never happy. You can give him 24 hr attention and yet he is still screaming, crying, throwing things, breaking things. You name it he does it. He cant sit still for more than a min. We never have a normal day in our house. If you tell him, to stop, its like his brain doesnt process it. Because in 20 sec he is right back doing what you got on to him for.  We dont let him play with may kids, because they are scared of him. He will bite them, pick up anything and throw it or wack them with a stick. Beats animals. We can not leave him alone with his brother who is 11 months old now. We took him to get some help, and they act like I am making all this up. They put him on Risperdal .25 mg,  twice a day, and Clonidine .1 mg  at bed time. The Risperdal helped a little. The Clondine helps to get him to settle down enough where what use to take us 4 hrs to get him to go to sleep to a hr. The Risperdal here lately seemed to be doing nothing. Because he was like I never gave it to him. So I told the doctor and she told me it was the best out there and other than waiting to he is 5 theres nothing else to do. She said he has RAD and ADHD. I love this child, and my husband, but I have had about all I can handle. My nerves are shot. Like i said there is no normal day in our home, unless he is not here.

June 10, 2008, 2:36 pm CDT

Parents get a clue

cndrilla, I totally agree with you, no man or woman is worth these kinds of problems.  The husband sits there like a poor mope that has not clue why this has happened.  I must have missed the first part of the show, where is the biological mother?  If you have a kid like this you spend 24/7 and all your resources on the child, not on dating and another womans children.  This woman should hit the road with her children.  Dr. Phil is very patient with these people. 

June 10, 2008, 2:57 pm CDT

06/10 Deadly Kids

I am so turned off by the parents who treat their son like the plaque.  All they are doing is creating a monster and he's playing off of it.  If they would spend less in the kitchen they could help their child.  I don't understand why two big people such as themselves would be in fear of a little boy.  It's a sad, sad world and being the father is a brother, he should be doing more.  He knows what's it like to be a young black and male and he's sitting back preparing his son to fail.

First | Prev | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | Next | Last