Message Boards

Topic : 06/06 Suing for Love

Number of Replies: 693
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 12, 2007, 02:56:16 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 10/19/07) Have you ever been so devastated after a breakup that you wanted someone to literally pay for your broken heart? When Bonnie and her ex, Charles, broke up, she says he went to an unexpected low. He wrote and distributed The Bonnie Chronicles -- a diary that she says is all vicious lies. He claims she has AIDS, seasonal bipolar disorder and is promiscuous. She took him to court and won a monetary settlement, but he maintains that the book is truthful and says he's not paying her a dime! Bonnie says she's ready to move on, but is she really done with Charles? Then, Dawn unknowingly had an affair with a married man and was sued for her crime of passion. You won't believe who sued her, and what she has to pay. And, DrPhil.com viewers weigh in with their thoughts about suing over a lost love. Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 19, 2007, 8:49 am CDT

Suing for Love?

Being married for over thirty years to the same women.  Having our share of problems and going beyond them I find this couple "stupid."  If he wanted to keep a journal (diary) that is his business!  If he gave them to others either by without or with request is wrong!  For her to sue him for punitive damages is really not right, but under the circumstances I see why she did!  My only question for both of them is this, where is the love.  Real love covers many problems, but it doesn't allow the sharing confidences with others.  Both of them need to "grow up" and stop this petty bickering.

With your other guest,  what ever happened to true love?  It doesn't separate because of petty differences, nor does it look for others for fulfillment.  We can have friends, but to replace your mate with someone else is wrong!  I agree with our audience the man in this case was really wrong.  But his wife to do what she did is even worse.  What caused the problem that separated these two people in the first place?  Why is she so sue happy just because her husband loves another women more than her?  This couple is dead wrong.  I'm of the opinion, that extra-marital affairs are wrong, even premarital affairs are wrong.  I'm not blind enough to say it doesn't happen, I'm just saying these practices have cause a host of problems in our lives.  He sleeps with her, she sleeps with others, or she sleeps with him and he sleep with others, or  he and she sleeps with each other while sleeping with others.  These practices are why there is so much STP's along with men and women who take each advantage of each other.

October 19, 2007, 10:00 am CDT

Suing for love

The alienation of affections law dates back to the 19th century with breach of promise and other causes of action that have been abolished in most states. The primary reason it still exists in North Carolina and a few other states is a windfall for family law attorneys. The courts have no business being involved in the private affairs of individuals and the rationale behind such laws are dealt with more than adequately in divorce actions. The at-fault party can be made to pay though property distribution and/or alimony. Therefore, in the case of the straying husband who lied to the woman about his marital status the abandoned spouse can and should go after him, but trying to spread the liability out to a third party is having the courts invade in our personal lives too much. In these days of tremendous court backlogs to hear cases, these kinds of cases really don't need to be there.

October 19, 2007, 10:40 am CDT

10/19 Suing for Love

bonnie and charles seem completely nuts! It's obvious they both lied on the show about things to make themselves look good and that's just frustrating. It makes them both equally guilty. As for getting sued for stealing some guy's affection...whoever has so much insecurities to do that needs major help! That's like when someone tells their partner "it's not you I don't trust, it's everyone else". How frustrating!!!!!!!!

October 19, 2007, 10:46 am CDT

10/19 Suing for Love

Bill Clinton screwed around on Hillary during their marriage. At the first indiscretion she could have left. But for some reason she thougt that her political future was tied to his coat tail. Especially with the Monica Lewinsky situation she could have taken the moral high ground and said, "My fellow women, we don't have to take this. And I am not going to any longer. This is not what marriage is about." But she took the political low road again and gave men the idea that since "the prez" was getting away with it  they could, too.

Too many people who are in the public eye because of movies or music or politics or athletics have the morals of an alley cat. And too many others are following their sorry example.

October 19, 2007, 11:29 am CDT

hm.

i wonder if this book is available on ebay or something.

i'd personally like to read it.
Maybe i'll understand what was ACTUALLY going on during the relationship.

October 19, 2007, 11:42 am CDT

This happened to my mother

This law is aweful.  My mother's boyfriend was sued by my stepdad and he settled out of court after paying $30,000 in lawyer fees.  He couldn't keep fighting it.  I can't beleive a person can take someone to court for something so stupid.  My mother tried to leave my stepdad for many many years and he would hurt her or take my brother and me and go to another state.  She feared for her life and ours.  Yet, that couldn't be brought up in court and my mother's boyfriend, the wonderful man he is, had to deal with these issues and financial lose.  I had to deal with the stress, my brother was 12 at the time and he turned to drugs.  This was going on for years in court.  By the time my brother was 16, he had turned to drugs.  I'm 10 years older than him...he ended up coming to live with me.  Now he is doing well at 19.  Still, because my stepdad and his father was feeled with evil and the courts allowed him to hurt my mother, her boyfriend and our family, my stepdad kept going on...and in the end made money.  What is wrong with this law and why aren't people doing something about it!!???  Please!

October 19, 2007, 12:20 pm CDT

Give me a Break!

You have got to be kidding?  First and foremost, the ex-fiance is a jerk!  Writing something like that and sending it to everyone!  What a vicious man!  Bonnie should have had a clue but then again love is blind.  Like Dr. Phil says.... kick this jerk to the curb!

This guy has so much anger inside of him he needs some serious therapy.  A diary!  Give me a break.  It was a little black book.  He is sick, sick, sick, sick!!!  He is a liar!!!!!!!!  Hi is mentally ill!!!!!!

I would have sued the jerk for sending that "book" out to everyone I knew.  How hateful and vengeful he is!  She deserves every penny and more after what he did!  You go girl and know that he is a jerk and crazy and move to another city and state and never say his name again!  Put him in the past!  Remember, forgiveness does not mean restoration..... forgiveness is for you not for him and let go of the anger and move on.

I am proud of you for taking this public and hopefully no other woman will get involved with him.  You have probably saved others from his sick existence on this earth!

October 19, 2007, 12:40 pm CDT

When will people get it?

I'm sorry to be a stick in the mud to those who have an ex who has done them wrong and have nothing better to do that figure out ways for revenge.  When will people take responsibility for their own actions and get on with life?  True there are some people who have the morals of a rock and go after some one whether they are married or not but you know it's not always the the outside lover who is to blame for going after your spouse.  Have you ever considered your spouse is lying to both of you just to come out looking better?  The courts are clogged to the gills with people who are suing for stupid things.  Anyone remeber the guy who sued the dry cleaners for ruined pants in the millions??  You know if your spouse or significant other is cheating on you sue HIM/HER and take them for everything they've got!!  There now not only do you have your revenge but now you can go on with life and not let bitterness eat you up to the point where there is nothing left of the person you were and instead your family and friends are left with a person who they do not recognize and stuggle to live with from that point on.

As for Charles I think he's a vindictive mean old cogger who just wanted some attention.  Maybe she did cheat on him who knows?  But to destroy her reputation is more cruel and manipulative than anything she may have done.  He SHOWED her his diary at the end of every year??  The only person who would get to read my diary is some one who doesn't know me after I'm dead!!  I also notice he was dating his ex wife again.  There is a reason they were divorced in the first place.  Perhaps she's forgotten what a pain in the butt he is to live with?  I mean there has to be a reason why they broke up?  Maybe HE cheated on his wife and she kicked him to the curb.  They say cheaters are the first to accuse their partners of cheating.  So if I was his ex wife I would take a long hard look as to why he is suddenly back in your life. 

October 19, 2007, 12:53 pm CDT

10/19 Suing for Love

Its too bad that Dr Phil must remain so professional on this show, but if I could see through this guy, I know Dr Phil did.  He showed to be an arrogant immature child and his ex wife was just as deceived.  I also expected the same response from the kids.  Neighbours, well, you can only go by what you see and many killers were known in their neighbourhoods as 'nice guys'.  I am sorry Charles, but you really need help.  I am not saying Bonnie was perfect, but the diary was way overboard....subject to paranoia.  It is sad that someone can get away with that, even though the courts gave Bonnie a victory, I don't think she would ever see the money.  Bonnie, you can get freedom from this if you forgive and then move on.  Material things will not make the hurt go away.  Get this guy out of your life completely.

October 19, 2007, 12:57 pm CDT

forgive me but

these people need to grow up.do you think your the only ones that have ever had a problem and broke up.my god grow up

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last