Message Boards

Topic : 03/21 Is This Normal?

Number of Replies: 179
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 12, 2007, 02:57:45 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date 12/14/07) Dr. Phil’s guests call their loved ones on the carpet about their unusual behavior. Linda says her dog, Sasha, is more human than canine. She loves to dress Sasha in pearls when company comes and feed the pampered pooch off her fork. Linda’s future daughter-in-law, Jill, says Linda is going overboard with her doggie doting -- especially since Linda wants Sasha to host Jill’s bridal shower! Then, Mary says it’s time for her husband, Eric, to let go of his dream of being a rock star. He’s 50 years old, and she says it’s time for him to get a real job. Eric says she supported his passion for 27 years -- so why is it suddenly abnormal? Next, Amber says she’s concerned about her fiancé, Colin’s, unpredictable mood swings, because one minute he’s the nicest guy in the world, but the next minute he’s flying off the handle. Should she call off the wedding until he gets his temper under control? Plus, a picky eater says she wants to stop being a “food weirdo” and start enjoying meals like a normal person. And, a woman at odds with her husband over the dangerous hobby that left her with a fractured back. Should she pursue her passion even though it terrifies her spouse? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 1, 2007, 1:42 pm CST

50 rock star

if he is 50

and has not made it yet

it's time to give it up

December 1, 2007, 2:10 pm CST

Doctor Phil Show

Doctor Is Normal Phil This? Are you kidding me? I saw this last year aswell. See you on Friday December-

07th,2007.  Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 1, 2007, 6:53 pm CST

laugh a little

Quote From: hpmx59

Doctor Is Normal PhilThis. Is This Normal? Are you kidding me? What are you talking about? See you on--

Friday October 19th, 2007. Sincerley Your. Russell  Vlaanderen.---------------------------------------------------------

My thought when I first read it, "What a nut!!"  I mean that in a funny way.  Like a good sense of off beat humor.  Everyone needs to laugh at life.  Your future mother-in-law is.  My mom gave us Christmas gifts one year, signed, "Licks and Slobbers, Rico".  We all laughed and knew it was just her off beat sense of humor.  If she seriously sees the dog as a human then she needs a padded room.  That's not really the case though, is it??

December 1, 2007, 7:22 pm CST

normal?

If your husbanf wants to play rock and roll at 50 let him.

Mick Jagger is 64 and moves like he's 35.  And there's plenty of others.

Get a clue. Its not your age!!!!!

December 1, 2007, 10:46 pm CST

Amber, RUN FOR THE HILLS!!!!!!!!!!

Amber, I was ONCE married to a man that had some awful mood swings. It took me going to treatment to see that there was not only something terribly wrong with him, but with me!!! Honey, NO ONE EVER changes without some kind of treatment. I had to find out what was wrong in me that I allowed that kind of behavior in my life. Now I am married to the most wonderful man in the entire world. AND it took me 1 1/2 yrs. to figure out how to act around him. I thank GOD everyday I get to share his life. So, please honor yourself, and RUN FOR THE HILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 2, 2007, 9:15 am CST

12/07 Is This Normal?

I have to say I respect this girl for seeking help BEFORE the ceremony (and hopefully before having children with him), if he choses to get help, then just postpone the wedding UNTIL you are sure he has it under control, if he refuses (and she can't FORCE him, and he has to be willing to do it for HIMSELF not HER ), then she has to decide, does she want to take the risk of him harming her or children when he flies into a rage, walking on eggshells isn't a good feeling.  I only hope she isn't so blinded by  "LOVE" , that she can't think through it realistically.
Pearls on a DOG ? Mine would probably try to eat them.  Hosting the Bridal Party, well if the Bride to Be is okay with it, and the dog is well behaved around guests, well why not ?  However, I think what MANY of these extreme dog people don't get is NOT everyone wants your precious pooch around them or in their homes, not everyone appreciates having their cotches sniffed, or being licked (mine are NOT allowed to lick the face, so you could imagine what I think about them using my cutlery, GROSS).  That said, if you don't like dogs, are scared of them or allergic (same goes for cats), my house is NOT where you want to be.  If the Bride to Be dosen't want to, then maybe she could suggest having the party at a "Dog Free facility".  But she should try to have some compassion and understanding, I think people who "Humanize" their pets to this degree are missing something in their lives.
Picky eating, oh yeah I can relate to that.  My son and I are both sensitive to textures and smells, so it makes us both rather picky, I cannot chew peas without gagging my kids and husband think its amusing, my son won't touch meat, the exture for him, and if it looks rubbery, slimy smells funny it won't be eaten by me (sigh, guess Kalamari and Octopus are out ), needless to say we don't eat out much.
What is normal anyway ? We all have little quirks that make us unique as individuals, granted some of them are serious and should be taken seriously, flying off the handle at a moments notice NEEDS to be taken seriously,  being unable to chew peas, not so serious.

December 2, 2007, 1:54 pm CST

12/07 Is This Normal?

Have to give Mary credit, she suppoerted his passion longer than many of us would, 27 years is a long time, maybe she would like a chance to be able to follow a passion of her own.  If she's been working to support them and raising kids (didn't say in the blurb if there were any kids or not), then maybe she would like to be taken care of for a change, as far as people like the Rolling Stones, they made it big many years ago, they've transcended generations, so its not like Mick Jagger in his sixties is just starting out competing with twenty somethings.  Though I don't think he should be forced to give it up completly, maybe doing local gigs on weekends, or even in the next town while he works during the week.
Okay, with the other couple she fractured her back, ouch, but dosen't want to give up her hobby, was she doing this BEFORE they were married ?  I think really he should be happy he married such a strong woman and one that dosen't give up with adversity.  However, his feelings need to be taken into account as well maybe he could participate with her ? Or go and watch ?  With anything, no matter what precations we take, accidents happen, a responsible person does what is necessary to minimize the risks.  That's why we wear seatbelts, and use child restraints in our own cars (and driving to work some days is a "high risk" activity), we are taking responsibility for our safety and the safety of our kids, they won't prevent an accident, but they can minimze the risk of death and injury in most cases, not all I know.  Professionals KNOW the risks and use the proper equipment and get the proper training to minimize risk.
I think its a matter of perspective, some people may see snowboarding as dangerous, personally I think crossing the street is a higher risk activity.

December 3, 2007, 6:16 am CST

Loving Dogs

I rescue dogs in and around the Dallas area, sometimes from death's door in shelters. The abuse and neglect can be unspeakable!! If only every dog could be treated like Sasha shelters would be out of business and M. Vick would not be in prison. Think about the alternative before you judge this person. IF you have never been to a shelter I highly urge you to walk through & one look into the eyes of deserving animals that will not get a chance to live out their lives in a home like Sasha.

December 3, 2007, 3:55 pm CST

50 YR OLD ROCK STAR

I don't think the Rock Star's chosen profession (or lack thereof) is the issue.  Perhaps the guy expects to be TREATED LIKE HE IS ON STAGE when he is at home.  Perhaps he thinks that the rules everyone else lives by don't apply to him...that he is SPECIAL........

I have been married to an 'entertainer' for 15 years.  He just turned 60.  I would like to tell you that it gets better as they age...but in fact it only gets worse.  Get help for yourself.  Don't be his mommy.  He won't like it...he may in fact leave...mine did for 3 years.....you must establish healthy boundaries or you will go crazy........

Good luck.

December 4, 2007, 11:08 am CST

My dog Cosby

Now I have a service dog to help me with my seizures and sometimes he acts more human than dog but I never would go as far as this gal has. No dog is capable of hosting an event. I work in athletics for a unniversity and Cosby would never host an event. He walks around the building like he owns it but I never treat him like a human. Like I talk to him but I know he cann't reply to me.  I do it just to make it easier for him to help me during a seizure.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last