Message Boards

Topic : 03/21 Is This Normal?

Number of Replies: 179
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 12, 2007, 02:57:45 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date 12/14/07) Dr. Phil’s guests call their loved ones on the carpet about their unusual behavior. Linda says her dog, Sasha, is more human than canine. She loves to dress Sasha in pearls when company comes and feed the pampered pooch off her fork. Linda’s future daughter-in-law, Jill, says Linda is going overboard with her doggie doting -- especially since Linda wants Sasha to host Jill’s bridal shower! Then, Mary says it’s time for her husband, Eric, to let go of his dream of being a rock star. He’s 50 years old, and she says it’s time for him to get a real job. Eric says she supported his passion for 27 years -- so why is it suddenly abnormal? Next, Amber says she’s concerned about her fiancé, Colin’s, unpredictable mood swings, because one minute he’s the nicest guy in the world, but the next minute he’s flying off the handle. Should she call off the wedding until he gets his temper under control? Plus, a picky eater says she wants to stop being a “food weirdo” and start enjoying meals like a normal person. And, a woman at odds with her husband over the dangerous hobby that left her with a fractured back. Should she pursue her passion even though it terrifies her spouse? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 8, 2007, 4:36 am CST

Let me tell you about one of my dogs.

My oldest dog Sammie is 13 (Sept.9). He is blind,mostly deaf, and has trouble walking. But, on the other hand, he is still eating well, and still responds to our love. So, what I've been doing is, since he can't get around well, I carry him out to do his business. I take him outside, set him down, he does his thing. I pick him up and bring him back into the house. If he was a big dog, I would not have this option. He has been our bud for 13 years, I cannot stand the thought of having him put down because he is old and blind and arthritic.  I know he may get to a point where he might NEED to be put down. I'm praying that he will just die a natural death. Time will tell. I realize that we have the responsibility as his people to figure out just when enough is enough. But, for now, I think what I'm doing is reasonable.

I have never thought of any of my pets as human. But, they ARE a big part of our everyday life. And when you get attached to them, you don't get unattached.

December 8, 2007, 6:59 am CST

12/14 Is This Normal?

People that treat their pets like humans just make my skin crawl!! Believe me, I am an animal lover, I have 2 dogs and 2 cats ( and 2 kids). I love my animals, we take good care of them, and we have fun with them. But they are ANIMALS, they are pets, they are not humans. I used to go to a hair stylist who has a dog that she treats like a child. She calls him her "son", and will only go out with her husband if she leaves the dog with a sitter; she never leaves him alone. I quit going to her because she has her salon in the basement of her house, and the dog has free reign while she's doing hair. If she's styling someone's hair, and the dog needs something, she stops and tends to him. Sorry, I think that's unprofessional!! If she was working in a public salon, she wouldn't be allowed to take the dog to work with her. I'm not talking about a service dog, like a seeing eye, or hearing dog, ( which by the way, I think are really cool!!!) this is just a spoiled pet.

I love my pets and I certainly don't think anyone should mistreat animals, but there is a line that shouldn't be crossed!!

December 8, 2007, 3:37 pm CST

Doctor Phil Show

Doctor Is Normal Phil This. When was it on? Last week?  Or a week before? I donot remember at all.  See-

you on Friday December 14th, 2007. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.---------------------------------------------

December 8, 2007, 5:09 pm CST

So... Whats normal?

I'll start with Jill. Your marrying the son not the mother! I would never consider telling my mother in law how to do things! She was doing them long before me and who an I to try to change her? I love my in-laws even though they do some things I may not, I love them for who they are as part of my husband's and now part of my life. If she wants to be nice enough to have her dog through you a bridal shower enjoy it. You can have more than one! Smile, laugh, joke about it with your friends later but appreciate it!!!  She loves you enough to offer it! You should love her enough to accept her and Sasha!

Now Mary I can understand your feelings on this but you married him just the way he is! It's obviously not a financial problem after 27 years. So why now would you want to take a dream away from a man you loved enough the way he is to marry? At 50 I would support my husband and his dreams for another 27 years as he would mine.

Most important Amber!!!!!! Do not marry some one that is in any way violent!!!!! It's nice he's a wonderful fiance, it's the sometimes thing thats a problem!!!! If he has a violent streak now just imagine how it will be once your married and he keeps getting worse and worse and you don't want to leave your husband, and it gets worse and you feel you can't leave, and it gets worse and your afraid to leave.  Why do this to you or him? Get him help work with him and when the temper is resolved if it resolves move in the direction that makes you happy. 

December 9, 2007, 5:20 pm CST

normal??

I am a dog trainer and has worked as a behaviourist.  Dogs are not human and when  human tries to humanize a dog, there can be trouble.  Dogs do not and never wil think like a human.  We love them, we train them, we become the alpha, never a equal and never humanize a animal. 

As for the person with mood swings, do not marry him!!  My ex had mood swings and was dx with bi-polar manic behaviour.  He needs help first and a dx of his behaviour because it will destroy you and the marriage.  You cannot love him out of it.

December 12, 2007, 7:42 pm CST

12/14 Is This Normal?

Quote From: housewife52

My oldest dog Sammie is 13 (Sept.9). He is blind,mostly deaf, and has trouble walking. But, on the other hand, he is still eating well, and still responds to our love. So, what I've been doing is, since he can't get around well, I carry him out to do his business. I take him outside, set him down, he does his thing. I pick him up and bring him back into the house. If he was a big dog, I would not have this option. He has been our bud for 13 years, I cannot stand the thought of having him put down because he is old and blind and arthritic.  I know he may get to a point where he might NEED to be put down. I'm praying that he will just die a natural death. Time will tell. I realize that we have the responsibility as his people to figure out just when enough is enough. But, for now, I think what I'm doing is reasonable.

I have never thought of any of my pets as human. But, they ARE a big part of our everyday life. And when you get attached to them, you don't get unattached.

Sammie is a lucky dog.  He has more unconditional love than most people. 

Do you think Jill should allow her future mother-in-laws dog to host her bridal shower?  No.  That's going waaaaaaaaay out on that limb.

December 13, 2007, 7:33 am CST

is this normal

Quote From: fby0553

I am a dog lover but, I feel so sorry for the animals people treat like human beings!  I know human beings don't appreciate being treated like animals.  I really love my dog, but she is a pet.  A pet is the perfect definition of "unconditional love."  I think if they could talk, they would ask their owners, "Why are you putting me in these silly clothes?  It's uncomfortable, they're heavy, they're itchy, etc. etc. etc."  Let the animals be animals!  Please don't misunderstand, we talk to our dog like she is human and we believe she understands us.  If she hears hollering in the house, due to an argument or from watching tv, she runs into our bedroom and hides until she thinks it's safe to come out.  She knows how to ask for a treat when she wants one, which is all the time of course.  If she wants to loved, she knows how to ask for that too.  They are smart creatures, but give them a break.

Hi

I am also a dog lover, I have three dogs  ones (jake a german shepard) ones a westhighland terrier name Whiskey and the other one is a terrier x named piggly .  I do love my dogs and my dogs are my kid they are like little children I mean I don't dress them up in silly clothes,  but my dogs let me know what they want  and I don't consider them just a pet they are a part of my family .  I mean my dog jake will actually go to his food dish and hit his paw on the dish telling me that they want their food and my little dog whiskey will scratch at the door if he wants out and my othe dog piggly goes to bed the same time as my husband.

I do agree that they are smart, but they are alot smarter than us .

can't wait to see the show on Friday Dec 14

H wilson

December 13, 2007, 7:40 am CST

Quote From: dixieblu

I am a dog trainer and has worked as a behaviourist.  Dogs are not human and when  human tries to humanize a dog, there can be trouble.  Dogs do not and never wil think like a human.  We love them, we train them, we become the alpha, never a equal and never humanize a animal. 

As for the person with mood swings, do not marry him!!  My ex had mood swings and was dx with bi-polar manic behaviour.  He needs help first and a dx of his behaviour because it will destroy you and the marriage.  You cannot love him out of it.

I stongly strongly disagree on this one , I'm a dog lover and I love any kind of animal and I think animals such as dogs think like humans because they are actually smarter than us

Fietkau2

December 13, 2007, 11:55 am CST

12/14 Is This Normal?

Quote From: michelegal

My significant other has been with me for 9 years and has a problem with getting along with people. He gets a job and keeps it for about 3 months. He is a sweet man and makes up tasks that, to him, are a contribution to the relationship. And although it is, such as taking mail to the PO, picking up groceries, taking the car for service, cooking an occasional meal, and listening to my BS, the fact that he does not contribute monetarily is really tiring.

My friends pity me and people who find out that he does not work, immediately go into a lecture about how I have no self esteem and that I deserve better, etc. etc. I do agree with them, but this dependency is so deep, meaning that if my friend does not find another host, he will be homeless, without a car, without money, etc.  I feel responsible for letting him get so dependent and am reluctant to cut the cord without some sort of effort to make sure he is OK.  

What do you all think 

So, you're going to be this parasite's host for the rest of his life? Or, yours, should he outlive you? Then, where will he be? Homeless, car-less, money-less, etc. You're doing your friend no favors by allowing him to become increasingly dependent on you. Cut the cord now!

December 13, 2007, 2:57 pm CST

12/14 Is This Normal?

Quote From: ramair

So, you're going to be this parasite's host for the rest of his life? Or, yours, should he outlive you? Then, where will he be? Homeless, car-less, money-less, etc. You're doing your friend no favors by allowing him to become increasingly dependent on you. Cut the cord now!
I totally agree!! He can't get along with people?!? Bull, that's just another excuse for being lazy. As my Grandma used to say, he hasn't been hungry yet. Push him out of the nest and see how long it takes for him to get along with people once his belly starts growling.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last