Message Boards

Topic : 03/21 Is This Normal?

Number of Replies: 179
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 12, 2007, 02:57:45 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date 12/14/07) Dr. Phil’s guests call their loved ones on the carpet about their unusual behavior. Linda says her dog, Sasha, is more human than canine. She loves to dress Sasha in pearls when company comes and feed the pampered pooch off her fork. Linda’s future daughter-in-law, Jill, says Linda is going overboard with her doggie doting -- especially since Linda wants Sasha to host Jill’s bridal shower! Then, Mary says it’s time for her husband, Eric, to let go of his dream of being a rock star. He’s 50 years old, and she says it’s time for him to get a real job. Eric says she supported his passion for 27 years -- so why is it suddenly abnormal? Next, Amber says she’s concerned about her fiancé, Colin’s, unpredictable mood swings, because one minute he’s the nicest guy in the world, but the next minute he’s flying off the handle. Should she call off the wedding until he gets his temper under control? Plus, a picky eater says she wants to stop being a “food weirdo” and start enjoying meals like a normal person. And, a woman at odds with her husband over the dangerous hobby that left her with a fractured back. Should she pursue her passion even though it terrifies her spouse? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 13, 2007, 10:16 am CDT

Doctor Phil Show

Doctor Is Normal PhilThis. Is This Normal? Are you kidding me? What are you talking about? See you on--

Friday October 19th, 2007. Sincerley Your. Russell  Vlaanderen.---------------------------------------------------------

October 13, 2007, 12:30 pm CDT

response to amber, colin,linda

Linda needs to understand dog behavior... her actions make one think that it is all about Linda...

Amber needs to dump Colin. Why put herself at risk?

Anyone who hase a veru dangerous hobby has a death wish.

These people need to get into the real world and out of their fantasies and self-indulgent behavours.

October 13, 2007, 3:29 pm CDT

Doggie Hosting Bridal Shower

It sounds to me like this wedding is going to the dogs. Next thing you know the mother in-law to be will be giving her daughter a dog training manual to use for her son. Although men are dogs and in many cases a dog training manual actually would be of help with things like getting them to listen I don't think you will find a chapter in the dog manual on how to have a dog with table maners. That is best left to the humans and this woman should read a book on table manners herself.

October 13, 2007, 4:39 pm CDT

freedom

if USA is the country f freedom why is in international news USA is # 1 country that most of the people been in the jail?

why any time you have problem the lawyer is requiered,what about if you cannot afford one?

I tried to buy a house the owner breach my trust by cashing the check and run with it when I took him to the court the judge allow him to keep the money  even with cashing a posdated check just because the lawyer is known in the court.

I lost my  $5000 because his lawyer showed him the way how to steal money legaly and got him out of the breach of trust accusation too

October 14, 2007, 9:02 am CDT

Man won't work

My significant other has been with me for 9 years and has a problem with getting along with people. He gets a job and keeps it for about 3 months. He is a sweet man and makes up tasks that, to him, are a contribution to the relationship. And although it is, such as taking mail to the PO, picking up groceries, taking the car for service, cooking an occasional meal, and listening to my BS, the fact that he does not contribute monetarily is really tiring.

My friends pity me and people who find out that he does not work, immediately go into a lecture about how I have no self esteem and that I deserve better, etc. etc. I do agree with them, but this dependency is so deep, meaning that if my friend does not find another host, he will be homeless, without a car, without money, etc.  I feel responsible for letting him get so dependent and am reluctant to cut the cord without some sort of effort to make sure he is OK.  

What do you all think 

October 14, 2007, 9:06 am CDT

Amber & Colin

Quote From: jab123

Linda needs to understand dog behavior... her actions make one think that it is all about Linda...

Amber needs to dump Colin. Why put herself at risk?

Anyone who hase a veru dangerous hobby has a death wish.

These people need to get into the real world and out of their fantasies and self-indulgent behavours.

Amber definately should NOT write Colin off yet. My husband had the same problem and we struggled through it for years till he was finally diagnosed with Bipolar depression. Medications have changed him completely and he has been the best husband I could have asked for. Instead of dumping Colin, Amber should try to get him to seek help. If he won't  get the help he needs, that's a different story, but she should try before giving up and definately before walking down that isle.

October 15, 2007, 4:55 am CDT

Poor Doggies

I am a dog lover but, I feel so sorry for the animals people treat like human beings!  I know human beings don't appreciate being treated like animals.  I really love my dog, but she is a pet.  A pet is the perfect definition of "unconditional love."  I think if they could talk, they would ask their owners, "Why are you putting me in these silly clothes?  It's uncomfortable, they're heavy, they're itchy, etc. etc. etc."  Let the animals be animals!  Please don't misunderstand, we talk to our dog like she is human and we believe she understands us.  If she hears hollering in the house, due to an argument or from watching tv, she runs into our bedroom and hides until she thinks it's safe to come out.  She knows how to ask for a treat when she wants one, which is all the time of course.  If she wants to loved, she knows how to ask for that too.  They are smart creatures, but give them a break.

October 15, 2007, 5:26 am CDT

Haven't seen the program yet (of course)

...but Amber should git while the gitting is good.

How often does Dr. Phil do programs about battered women and loved ones of dead women who didn't listen to the warning signs when it was already in their faces?

October 15, 2007, 6:35 am CDT

Unusual Behaviors?

1.  Nothing has meaning until we give it meaning.

2. Every person gives their own meaning to situations.

3. We choose behaviours and keep behaviours because they serve a purpose or fill a need in our lives.

4. We do not necessarily give up a behavior or thought, just because it is destructive to ourselves or others.

5. If a persons' thought or behavior is destructive,  that person must become aware and then decide to replace it with another behavior or thought that is constructive.

6. Our beliefs are our truth until or unless we decide, that they are actually a lie.

October 15, 2007, 10:48 am CDT

I disagree

Quote From: viewerinpa

Amber definately should NOT write Colin off yet. My husband had the same problem and we struggled through it for years till he was finally diagnosed with Bipolar depression. Medications have changed him completely and he has been the best husband I could have asked for. Instead of dumping Colin, Amber should try to get him to seek help. If he won't  get the help he needs, that's a different story, but she should try before giving up and definately before walking down that isle.
You cannot make anyone do anything and Amber cannot make Colin seek help never mind make him take the help.  If they're at the point where they're coming on *national television* to see "is this normal?"  then to me it means that Colin does not want to seek help.  If he fly's off the handle and doesn't see that as a problem & the *idea that he might lose Amber* doesn't make him seek help then he *doesn't want to* or he just doesn't care.  If he loved her enough and didn't want to see her hurt he would have sought help long ago to get his problem under control.  Actions speak much louder than words and his inaction says he *does not care*.  You cannot love someone & *not care*.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last