Message Boards

Topic : Stress at Work

Number of Replies: 237
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:24:47 am
Author : dataimport
How do you manage stress in the workplace? How do you leave the office at the office and manage a stress-free home life? Join us to share strategies.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 16, 2007, 4:41 pm CDT

what to do

I recently graduated from college and am feeling like I am already in a rut in my career.  After graduating I got a job.  I found it very stressful ( I cannot handle stress well).  I could not complete my tasks without losing it.  The administrative assistant position opened up in my company so I took that job.  I moved to another state recently so I found a new job as an admin assistant.  There is room to move up in this company but I am afraid to because I don't like the positions they have open.  I heard they are very stressful.  I don't want to be stuck as an admin assistant for the rest of my life but I really hate office jobs and don't want the stress that comes along with them.  I have thought about healthcare jobs but I would need to go back to school for 2 yrs in order to do those jobs.  I don't know if I am ready to go back to school and be broke.  What should I do?

March 21, 2007, 1:08 am CDT

I hate working.

Quote From: kwindshawn

Myself-I absolutely despise working.  There was a time I enjoyed it, but after years of abuse by unrealistic money hungry bosses, I don't give two shits about working.  Don't have a baby to stay at home-when I was married, that happened to me, and it gave me 18 years of sheer hell.  The husband didn't help, money was a constant problem, plus you are stuck in the house with a whining screaming infant.  It sucked!!!!!  Plus, I still had to work on top of it all-pretty much ruined my life.  I would rather have my fingernails pulled out without anesthetic than go through that again.  I have not been able to find any type of work enjoyable-I just hope I can make it to retirement without losing my sanity or my ass....
The thing is, I do want to have a baby one day.  I know it wasn't the right thing to say that I want to have a baby to get out of work, because that wouldn't really be the reason.   But hating my job is making me want to have a baby sooner.  I am 32 years old now, so having a baby isn't out of the question right now.  I'm just trying to make sure I do it for the right reasons.

So at the moment I've decided my next plan is to do a part time course that will allow me to teach adults.  I don't know if I'll be able to get a job or not.  But at least it'll be a step in the right direction.  And there is plenty of casual work in teaching adults so maybe it's something I can do at night once a week with the hope of eventually getting into the area full time.

March 21, 2007, 1:25 am CDT

People who get away with things..

Quote From: nightflight50

I am a single 50 year old woman. My bigest gripe about work ( I work 2 jobs) is these mothers that use their kids for an excuse to leave work. When work gets hard or it is near time for cleanup. Their baby gets sick. They have to leave work, and the bulk of the work falls on me or someother single person. I have No problem with a legitmate sickness. But this business of useing your kid to bolt from work just sucks.  Any  one  caught doing that should be fired. it is too simple to do.. You use your cell phone to call some one to call in a fake child problem and then you leave. I am now refuseing to answer my phone on off hours (espeically on the weekends)  because of this type of crap. I never minded working holidays for those that have children, but singles have lives and families too. And we get short changed on scheduled work hours because we are single and do not have kids. People with kids get the lions share of the work scheduled work hours and we singles have to make do with what ever hours are given to us even though we have to pay everything by ouselves.   My next job, I will lie about have kids and being married. Cause telling the truth does not pay.
I really hate people who use their kids all the time as an excuse to get out of work too!!  But it's not just women!  There's one guy at my work who arrives at work late and leaves work early every day.  He misses compulsory meetings and doesn't do his share of the work load.  And the bosses notice this but they don't do anything about it!

And there are also people at my work without kids who just leave early.  Or who don't turn up at all without calling in sick!  Or who don't do any work while at work.  Or whom are forever sick with different things.  I was genuinely sick one day and took the day off.  The next day one of my co-workers asked me what I had been sick with.  I told her that I suffer from migranes.  She said that she'd never have a migrane before and quizzed me on what it felt like and when I get them and where it hurts, etc..  Next day she came to me and said "I think i've got a migrane".  She now takes days off because of migranes.

But what really really gets to me is.. why don't they get fired?!?!?!!!!  I do all the right things and I don't get any praise or rewards.  They do all the wrong things and nothing happens to them.  Now I've started to slack off a bit too.  But it's not in my nature to do a terrible job.

I think most managers are afraid of telling people off or of firing people.  So these people continue to get away with things.

March 22, 2007, 2:52 am CDT

Stress at Work

Quote From: merestcat

I really hate people who use their kids all the time as an excuse to get out of work too!!  But it's not just women!  There's one guy at my work who arrives at work late and leaves work early every day.  He misses compulsory meetings and doesn't do his share of the work load.  And the bosses notice this but they don't do anything about it!

And there are also people at my work without kids who just leave early.  Or who don't turn up at all without calling in sick!  Or who don't do any work while at work.  Or whom are forever sick with different things.  I was genuinely sick one day and took the day off.  The next day one of my co-workers asked me what I had been sick with.  I told her that I suffer from migranes.  She said that she'd never have a migrane before and quizzed me on what it felt like and when I get them and where it hurts, etc..  Next day she came to me and said "I think i've got a migrane".  She now takes days off because of migranes.

But what really really gets to me is.. why don't they get fired?!?!?!!!!  I do all the right things and I don't get any praise or rewards.  They do all the wrong things and nothing happens to them.  Now I've started to slack off a bit too.  But it's not in my nature to do a terrible job.

I think most managers are afraid of telling people off or of firing people.  So these people continue to get away with things.
     I think the workplace is a huge joke.  That is exactly what goes on in my job, yet if I take a day off for a bona fide illness, the office falls apart and they can't handle it without major issues.  God why can't I retire?

March 28, 2007, 7:14 am CDT

A Co-worker and Friend Passed Away

Yesterday, a dear friend and co-worker passed away. I am heart broken and  feel very raw and lost right now. I am a clerk at an elementary school and  have to  school my emotions to begin with.  My hubby called this morning very excited and informed me that her  position has been listed  as a new job opening. I felt sick and disgusted that is was so easy to just replace her. He was jovial over it because my friend had always joked that she was going to groom me to take the job when she was retired. I dismissed it with a "you will be here for plenty of years for us to deal with that much later" Well, my hubby wants me to go to my boss/principal and inform her that I would like to be considered for the position. I hung up on him and cried. It is too soon to even think about this but he (over the answering machine) says if its not me it will be someone else and she wanted me to have it when she was gone. I can't even think straight! What do I do? How do I even consider this? I feel sick just thinking about it but oh I don't know... What do I do????
Sincerely Heartbroken and feeling pushed when not ready, Angela

April 20, 2007, 7:56 am CDT

Alternatives

Quote From: lynng456

I recently graduated from college and am feeling like I am already in a rut in my career.  After graduating I got a job.  I found it very stressful ( I cannot handle stress well).  I could not complete my tasks without losing it.  The administrative assistant position opened up in my company so I took that job.  I moved to another state recently so I found a new job as an admin assistant.  There is room to move up in this company but I am afraid to because I don't like the positions they have open.  I heard they are very stressful.  I don't want to be stuck as an admin assistant for the rest of my life but I really hate office jobs and don't want the stress that comes along with them.  I have thought about healthcare jobs but I would need to go back to school for 2 yrs in order to do those jobs.  I don't know if I am ready to go back to school and be broke.  What should I do?

I have kids and what me and my husband do is this...he works days and I work nights. I've been doing this for a while and it gets to you after a while. I never wanted to dedicate my life to a J.O.B. And there's no job security anymore either! But there is a light at the end of the tunnel because I also work at home with my own business helping families.  It amazes me how companies treat people..they're dispensible. Where I'm working now, there are many older ladies who've been working there for yrs and they depend on the income. When there isn't much work, the company will call them and tell them  not to come in and have newer employees come in because they make less. It's unbelievable and very stressful.

We have to be strong and not complacent and put up with these companies. There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

May 1, 2007, 12:59 pm CDT

Is it wrong to want to be treated with respect at work

I am 46 yo and have worked at many different types of jobs, but as I have aged I have found myself going through emotional upheavels in my life.  I feel like I have come through them, but am unable to get back into my chosen field of work.  Thus I have taken a job as a Telephone Sales Representative (telemarketer).  I have been there since March 12, 2007 and have gone through many emotions trying to fit into this position.  I hate getting hung up on lol but realize people don't like getting calls at home about products or services, heck I don't like getting them either.  But I try to treat each person I call with respect and am not a pushy seller, but I do get sales most every day, some days more than others. 

My biggest problem right now is the new supervisor and his constantly badgering people, hollering on the sales floor like he is still in high school.  Hollering across the floor to someone about a mile away from where he is standing.  He lacks total respect for those of us who are on the floor, in sales, working hard to maintain a conversation  and rapport with customers when he is hollering and joking or belittling someone in the background.  Is it wrong to want to be treated with respect. 

I was in a sale one day, near the end of the sale, following the legal guidlines we have for selling over the phone, this supervisor comes over and gets in my ear and hollers, "Get off this phone right now so I can get the rest of the floor back to work!"  After the fact I found out there was a system issue and they were waiting for people to get off the phones so they could reboot the system.  Had he come over and courteously told me to get off so that the customer did not hear him being rude it would not have bottered me so much.  I lost the sale,  he told me to set it as a call back.  The customer had hung up, not sure what he thought about the incident that had transpired between the supervisor and myself.  I did not call the man back, it was embarrassing to be talked to that way and for the customer to hear it.  This has stuck in my craw for weeks now.  Am I wrong?  If not how would you handle such a situation.  Did go to management about it, but nothing was accomplished.  Would appreciate any feedback.

May 3, 2007, 3:29 am CDT

Stress at Work

Quote From: janetz

I am 46 yo and have worked at many different types of jobs, but as I have aged I have found myself going through emotional upheavels in my life.  I feel like I have come through them, but am unable to get back into my chosen field of work.  Thus I have taken a job as a Telephone Sales Representative (telemarketer).  I have been there since March 12, 2007 and have gone through many emotions trying to fit into this position.  I hate getting hung up on lol but realize people don't like getting calls at home about products or services, heck I don't like getting them either.  But I try to treat each person I call with respect and am not a pushy seller, but I do get sales most every day, some days more than others. 

My biggest problem right now is the new supervisor and his constantly badgering people, hollering on the sales floor like he is still in high school.  Hollering across the floor to someone about a mile away from where he is standing.  He lacks total respect for those of us who are on the floor, in sales, working hard to maintain a conversation  and rapport with customers when he is hollering and joking or belittling someone in the background.  Is it wrong to want to be treated with respect. 

I was in a sale one day, near the end of the sale, following the legal guidlines we have for selling over the phone, this supervisor comes over and gets in my ear and hollers, "Get off this phone right now so I can get the rest of the floor back to work!"  After the fact I found out there was a system issue and they were waiting for people to get off the phones so they could reboot the system.  Had he come over and courteously told me to get off so that the customer did not hear him being rude it would not have bottered me so much.  I lost the sale,  he told me to set it as a call back.  The customer had hung up, not sure what he thought about the incident that had transpired between the supervisor and myself.  I did not call the man back, it was embarrassing to be talked to that way and for the customer to hear it.  This has stuck in my craw for weeks now.  Am I wrong?  If not how would you handle such a situation.  Did go to management about it, but nothing was accomplished.  Would appreciate any feedback.

I have found in the last few years that management in this country is a joke.  They feel that belittling and threatening employees are great motivators.  Me, I would tell them to take the job and shove it up their ass.   See, I had a similar situation this past Monday.  I work in medical equipment and with the Deficit Reduction Act and other cutbacks, the medical system is in real trouble.  Most of my coworkers are in severe burnout, alcoholics, suicidal, you name it.  Yes, these are the people who care for us.  Those who aren't in that dire of situation are so nasty to work with, it makes for a really volatile work environment.  Anyway, due to a patient not qualifying for the equipment, I got to listen to a 15 minute tirade from my boss-on speakerphone on her end.  The whole time I was being berated, I was literally biting my tongue to prevent telling her what she could do with her temper tantrum-I was ready to walk.  After that tirade, she all of the sudden stopped and asked if I was ok-I told her I was overwhelmed-I was furious, still trying to be professional.  So she addressed part of the problem, and I did what I could on my end.  I took Tuesday off from work to think about the future, and also missed our normal wednesday morning meeting (aka make me rich or else) .  The damage is done.  I have been there nearly 6 years and always overlooked this behaviour, but she crossed the line this time.  I am actively looking for work-and will leave there if I have to take half my salary as a pay cut-the blood pressure, anger, and other health consequences to me are not worth it to put up with that witch.  In a nutshell, no one deserves that treatment, and I have decided staying in that type of environment is no longer worth the money.  I have financial issues that could ruin me (again), but you know what?  At least I will have peace and at least I won't be stuck in a wheelchair from a stroke induced by stuffing all this negativity.  On a side note, my whole department is already planning to leave one by one-almost all of us will be gone by the end of the year. 

May 17, 2007, 2:37 am CDT

Stress at Work

Quote From: kwindshawn

I think the workplace is a huge joke.  That is exactly what goes on in my job, yet if I take a day off for a bona fide illness, the office falls apart and they can't handle it without major issues.  God why can't I retire?

Today those who work hardest get the brunt of the pressure to be there, to perform above and beyond... Many times, those in management do not have the true qualifications to do their jobs. 

When a person who is important to a managers' productivitivity, the worker is looked at more carefully than a more  "slacking" employee.  Thats why good workers get more s__+ than crappy managers and supers that dont even know what they are doing.

I agree:  work life in America is in trouble.

May 17, 2007, 8:25 am CDT

Stress at Work

Well i am running sometimes my bum off, at my work.

Sometimes I need to do so much, in so little time :(

So, that causes stress with me, and i can feel the stress going true my body.

I study psychology, and so i know that stress consists out of 2 components.

The first: a reaction on an event that is seen as a thread for the physical or mental wellbeing.

The seccond: a feeling of, not be able to coop with the thread.

So evrytime i really feel stressed on my work, because i have so much to do, in so little time.

I will tell to myself: I can do it, no matter what, I am able to do this, I will work hard, and i will find solutions.
I can do it !!

I will finnish this work before the shift ends, and so not, i know i worked my bum off, so I can't do more.

I can do it !!

HOOAH !!    ;-) 

And then the stress will fall from me off, like a blanket.

As long as you keep your internal dialogue positive and healthy.

Good luck !!!

Patrick :)

First | Prev | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | Next | Last