Message Boards

Topic : Stress at Work

Number of Replies: 237
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:24:47 am
Author : dataimport
How do you manage stress in the workplace? How do you leave the office at the office and manage a stress-free home life? Join us to share strategies.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 5, 2005, 5:26 pm CST

skills

Quote From: golden1

The word "stress" barely describes what I'm enduring at work: people who refuse to adhere to deadlines and procedures, their "inability" to do the simplest tasks (not "stuck on stupid," buying a condo and moving in) and the supervisors who support them. There are situations that raise your stress level; there are people who are stress levels unto themselves; I work with both. The sad part is, I've worked here for over 15 years and am not qualified for anything else (except for a fast-food restaurant). On top of all this, this organization has "expanded;" translation: they have a multi-million-dollar building project for which they've had to borrow money, and the cost is coming out of the employees' wages by way of "comp time" and no cost-of-living increase like in past years. I don't know how much more I can endure of all this; I see my paycheck and KNOW I won't be paying some bills this month.
sounds like it might be worth surveying the landscape outside your current job.  You surely have skills and abilities far beyond what you realize with 15 years experience.  Have you considered visiting a headhunter or placement agency to consider your possibilities?  If your company is mired in debt the way you are decribing, you never know when it may fall apart.

November 5, 2005, 6:56 pm CST

new priorities

Quote From: yewberry

Hi guys - UK fan of Dr Phil here with a career crisis. Having read this thread, I'm so glad I'm not the only one! 

On the face of it, I'm doing okay.  What follows is middle-class whining, please be warned. 

I'm a divorce lawyer : I've been a partner since April in a good firm.  I deal with interesting and complicated divorce cases (usually where the folks concerned have  more money than an objective sense of fairness) - I make good money (for the area of England I live in, at least).  

I was in academic training to be a lawyer for the 7 years before strarting in practice (not having done a law degree, the path to qualification was longer than usual. I actually did a degree in English Literature). 

Compared to many people, I know I've apparently got it good. But but but....... 

Now that I've so-called "made it", I find myself hating my job and hating what it does to me. My life is ruled by the chargeable unit and making my time financially profitable ; I manage a team of 20 people and spend a lot of my daily life chasing them to work more efficiently and profitably whilst being pressured by upper management to kick their backsides. I also live by meeting daily targets in terms of time and fees. 

I've become at the age of 35 an irritable, curt, intolerant person who can't even wait in a supermarket queue without feeling that I'm going to kill the slow person in front of me who insists on paying for £10 of  stuff with a card.  And who has a loyalty card. And vouchers. And who wants a chat with the check-out lady about the weather. 

Or who drives to work and rants and raves at the perfectly ordinary driver in front of her because they aren't driving at 90 mph. 

Or who makes snotty comments to friends and family without meaning to hurt them, but because she's feeling stressed-out. 

Quite suddenly, it's dawned on me that I really hate my job and the person I've become. Nothing in particular has sparked this off. Maybe I'm just more knackered than usual (knackered = exhausted in English-speak). Maybe my 35th birthday has made me revalue my life. Maybe I'm just bored. 

But now I find myself dreading doing through the doors at work. I'm casting about me to think about what else I can do and how I can continue paying my mortgage etc. I'm longing for a complete career change - to something that matters, and to something that doesn't feel like it's crushing my spirit - and at the same time, I'm scared witless. 

Phew, good to get that off my chest? Is there anyone here who has been through something like this ?  

Hi Yewberry 

I'm also 35 and have a good job as a police investigator in financial crime.  I've had to work really hard to get to where I am, and once I got here, I realized it isn't wasn't nearly what I'd hoped for.  On my road to this place I had some very difficult periods at work, and I became for a while a pretty miserable and nasty person.  Thankfully, I think I'm over that now.  I still work for the same organization, but changed my location and my job function.  I also had to give up some dreams I had for my career:  I finally realized that the price I had to pay to make those dreams only possibly come true were too high.  So now I've downsized my expectations, upped my education, and did the sideways slide.  I did have a bit of luck to help, and it's paid off.  I've had a promotion since I made the change, and my personal life is in much better order.  I have more advancement opportunity before me now than I did before.  Still, my past difficulties have left me very disillusioned with my agency, and I'm also considering a career change.  I also recognize I have a good thing going that will be hard to beat anywhere else. 

I don't know if you have the same opportunity within your job to change focus without making a wholescale change.  People tell me that in life, work as well as everything else has its ups and downs.  When work is down, it's time to focus on something else:  friends, a hobby, whatever.   I am friends with a number of lawyers and am aware of the particular challenges there - hopefully you have friends outside your field to keep you grounded.  I try and make sure I spend time every week with friends, doing art of some kind, and getting exercise outdoors.   When this combination is in play, people comment to me that I appear very happy.   

As for changing jobs, think carefully!  It may well be time to change, but consider where you are going and plan your moves like a chess game:  what may come two or three moves down?  You may be exchanging one set of problems for another, and this is the very question which I am considering.  I did a course on organizational design which covered which types of work styles are appropriate to what kind of tasks and what kind of organization.  In my course, some classmates swore by start-ups while others preferred mid to larger size organizations.  That's another consideration:  you may prefer to be a lawyer in a smaller firm, where there is more room to manoeuver.  It may be a very different job.  Or move to government, and work as a lawyer in policy development.  Lot of opportunities are out there to refocus without abandoning what you've already built.  You may want to move away from a management role if you are finding the HR portion of your job draining.  Not everyone is cut out to be a manager, and being a good manager is far more difficult than being a lawyer. 

As for becoming demanding and confrontational, your personality has adapted to becoming an effective lawyer.  This is not a bad thing, it just means you have to recognize you've had to take on certain traits to be effective at your job.  Good for you.  Who wants a sissy lawyer?  Your next step is to learn to turn those traits on and off as required.  You are not your job, and you have to become 'you' again at the end of your workday or in work conditions when those traits are counter-productive.  In policing, people struggle with this all the time.  People who lose that struggle eventually become divorced or alcoholics.  You don't want that.  You can learn to control it. 

I think 35 is for women what 40 is for men:  a time of reckoning.  The questions are pretty universal: is this what my life all adds up to?  My hyper-successful older sister says 35 is when you realize this is what your life is about, and you accept your path.  She has a great job, is on her third career, and complains of the same problems as the rest of us despite all the variety she's had.  I'm not sure she's right about the buddhist-style acceptance thng, but it sure helps in dealing with the daily grind.  So I think of my sister when I don't like my job, and I think of her when I go home to my nice boyfriend, my nice house and the pretty things my job has allowed my to buy, and plan my next caribbean vacation.  Acceptance is good... 

November 5, 2005, 7:17 pm CST

distance ed

Quote From: hercules12

I am really sutck in a bad position. I have a job working 12 hour shifts. I would definately like to change jobs. I saw a course at a near by college that I want to take to start a new career. Because of my crazy 12 hour shifts, my boss will not authorize my to take the time off to take this course. So I am stuck in this job because it is the only think I know how to do. It is all I have done sice I come out of high school. GRRRRRRRRRRR. So frustrating.  

all that needs saying. 

November 8, 2005, 3:44 pm CST

I know the feeling

Quote From: wishinthin

I'm 40 yrs old and work for my father at his real estate office. It is a small business with about 20 employees. For 12 years I worked as his assistant, he is the broker, and everything was good. Then I discovered that the bookkeeper he employed was embezzling money and had been for years. She was paying all her bills, her housepayment, every thing and getting cash plus her weekly paychecks. My father never checked the check register or bank statements. Now I tried to tell him and he would put me off, until very bluntly I showed him copies of checks she forged, and copies of the check register that changed every week after she would correct them. So she was fired immediately and my father made me take over everything. Now the problem is I do all the bookkeeping, all the property management, all the office support and I was never formerly trained for accounting, I do everything from the taxes, payroll taxes, distribution of rental income, etc.  I can't keep up, I'm getting more behind everyday, the help he hires me is pathetic, I work overtime don't get no overtime, no benefits, no insurance, no nothing no raises and he tells me how bad I'm doing everyday cuz I'm not keeping up with everything. I want to quit but this is my kids future this business and I want to get them interested to help me. what do i do?

You're not alone I'm now almost 42 and lived in the same situaton for years. You're only hope is  

that you're father is soon going to retire as mine did. I found out at a young age that labor laws 

do not apply to you're children. Sure you have the option of getting another job. But, you have worked so hard to make this business you're future. One day I walked up and put it on the table 

I demanded a decent wage and respect. I meant it and it worked. Now 6 years later, I own the company and my parents are retired. I was a long road but, one worth walking.   

November 16, 2005, 4:00 pm CST

Some ideas For Kristin

Quote From: kristin

Hello Everyone, 

I would like to start by saying that I'm writing in hopes of finding help for someone I love. I'm almost 25 and he'll be 26 in a couple months. We've been dating for at least nine months now and in that time have grown close to the point where I feel he is such a perfect fit in my life. I know I want to spend my life with him because, as a person, he is so caring and in all the years I have been dating, I have never had such a strong, incredible connection with another person as I have with him. He feels the same way about me and we always have a wonderful time together. Everything we do from cooking, to hiking and planning the future meshes together. I can be myself, and feel like I have finally found happiness. Currently, I live at home with my parents and am planning to move out in the next 7 months or so. As a family, we made the choice to let me stay at home while I went to college for four years for my education. I completed that and am now currently employed full time and saving to move out. The problem is somewhat undefined for me, but it centers around the problems my boyfriend has with working/finding a better job. He was originally from Ontario (we live in BC now), and over 6 years ago he moved to Ohio to be with another girl before he met me. He had been somewhat of a loner, shy, and short on friends. His parents split when he was young, and his older brother was essentially kicked out of the house for not doing much with his life other than be loud and annoying at home. He met this girl online and ended up living with her for 5 years. In the beginning, he took a college (2 year) degree program for computing, but because he was a Canadian citizen living in the US, he wasn't able to get a job in the US. Additionally, the girl was usually confined to bed with some sort of sickness, so he basically did all the shopping, cooking and household things. He had his hobbies like drawing, bike riding, composing simple songs on the computer, and reading. The relationship wasn't one of love or great companionship and he was not happy with the situation, but felt trapped. She was not an easy person to talk to and got jealous if he spoke with other people (such as on the computer). However, he did meet some people online who live in my city, and eventually they convinced him to break free and move here to make a better future and be around friends who cared about him. Unfortunately, he had already wasted 5 years of his life where work history was concerned. 

He moved here and managed to get a job at the call center in town dealing with people who needed long distance customer support. I met him online and decided to contact him after reading his profile and learning that we had many of the same interests. He stayed at Convergys for a few months while we were together, but expressed to me that it was a stressful, monotonous job with a punch clock style, haphazard shift times, and far short of his actual skill set. He felt he could do better, but was stuck for how to remedy the situation. Because everything was so up in the air for him in a new town and just having met me, he was really stressed out. He ended up quitting the job and taking a while to find something else. It was not a good idea because of his tight financial situation, but it appeared to be what he needed. There's a fine line between doing something because you have to survive, and hating what you do to the point where it affects you too deeply. 

Eventually he ended up working at Toys R Us as a part time stock person in the back, then was laid off when they didn't need the extra seasonal staff. He found another part time job at Michaels doing more stocking and some cash register work. The problem was that he knew he could do more and wanted a better job, but his resume was not that appealing because of the 5-year work history gap. Who would employ someone like that when there are streams of young graduates coming out of the local university? The only jobs that seemed to call him back were minimum wage, part-time "icky" jobs. My opinion was that he needed to either do something to make a positive change, or suck it up and do the best he could to help achieve his goals. He did and still does live in shared accommodation with a single room and a shared bathroom. He was also very lonely, so when I found him, he was so happy to have the company and that developed into a lot more because of how compatible we are. He doesn't feel that his life is settled. He's always ended up having something change and never been truly settled. I've always tried to help and be there for him. Because he didn't have a car or even a license, I encouraged him to at least get that; it might open up more job opportunities. He managed to take some lessons and get his drivers license. He also took a food safe course and received that certification. I tried to think of ways that would make things easier or give him better opportunities, and I knew that an updated education could be the answer. The thing is that he was just getting by - existing in that tiny room with just enough to eat and pay the bills with not much left over. He wasn't getting anywhere and obviously, that would be quite depressing for anyone. 

After suggesting further education, we started to look at his options. Affordability was naturally a great concern, as well as something where there would be available jobs upon graduation. Most of the people I know were quite certain that the trades would be a good place to start. There is demand for skilled trades people, and also a better chance of making a better wage so that he would be able to save quicker. We reviewed the information on a local 6-month plumbing program and he thought that he could go for it and start actively working on his future. He ended up taking out a student loan and enrolling in the program. I was hopeful that it would work out and that he could get out of his rut, but it turned out that the plumbing program was just not for him. His heart was not in it, and he honestly couldn't see himself doing it. He hasn't had any real hands on experience, and lacks the confidence for trying something like plumbing knowing that he already didn't like it and didn't feel he would be good at it. The positive part was that he was able to communicate to me how he felt about it. I understood and didn't want him to do something he really hated just for me or because I thought it might be a good idea. I didn't want him to resent me in the future or end up being unhappy. He withdrew from the plumbing program and continued to work at Michaels part time. At this point in time, he is still there, and also just starting a part time position at Extra Foods. The difficult part is that he still is in debt because of the student loan, and the lessons he took for driving etc. I believe it is a few thousand dollars.. probably no more than 3 or 4 grand, but with the kind of money he makes now part time with no benefits, he can't afford to get ahead. He hasn't even seen a doctor, dentist or optometrist in probably 2 years either. At the rate he's going, it will take forever to do that and to get out of debt. His MAIN problem is the stress at work. It's not one particular job, but for some reason, things tend to get to him. He's been in this city for over a year now, and the fact that he's actually worse off financially than when he came here is weighing heavily on him. He is trapped in that small room and not able to move forward - he is living this against the backdrop of my life and how well things are going for me. I've got a car, am moving out soon to a good place because I can afford it, have a well paying full time job I like, and have extra for things I might want. 

Now, with most people, I would tell them to suck it up and work at it to pay off the debt, but for him, he has a really tough time doing that. I don't know the exact root of his problem, but he told me at one point that there are times when it feels so bad/overwhelming that he physically starts to shake. He will either end up quitting the job for something else, or he will be completely miserable, stressed and not able to deal with other things. It is affecting our relationship with the fact that my parents see him as lacking ambition. They want the best for me and feel that by pursuing him, I am "throwing away my life" because he is not moving forward. They don't understand why he won't go for any and every job available such as even starting in construction. He feels that most things he won't like doing, or they will be jobs way below his level of skill. One thing I should note is that when he was in school, he was not challenged enough. He did well, but then started slacking off because it was too boring and easy. He is not being challenged at all in these recent jobs and we can't seem to find any better prospects that could meet his needs. It's like this circle of dependencies that he can't seem to jump out of. He needs a better job that he A) likes and B) pays better, but in order for that to happen, his resume needs to be better by either experience (which he can't get because none of the jobs are along those lines), or by more education. Education is hard because he needs more money and needs to know what he does want to do. He is unsure. From where I sit, it's as if he is coming out of high school (because of those 5 wasted years), and he does not know where to turn or what to do and it is all so big and scary because any risk he takes with such low funds, means that he could really be in debt trouble or severely stressed. I've tried the 'one small step at a time' approach and it seems to work to a point, but it's at a stand still now. 

He doesn't know what to do or where to get help. In my opinion, if he can't stick with these part time jobs or find something better, there is something wrong - he's got some kind of issue(s) and they really need to be addressed so that he can work seriously on his future. My parents are concerned about me because if we remain together or even get married, he will certainly not be dependable as a provider, seems (to them) to be unambitious, and would not be able to help if something went wrong with me, such as if I got sick and couldn't work for a while or got pregnant. He is barely existing as it is, so there is no way he could provide for the both of us. I should note here that I do want to work and don't expect to sit at home while he works his butt off - I want us to be equals and working together for our future.  

So many people have abandoned him in his life in some form and I do not want to be another. I'm not trying to help out of guilt or pity or pressure. I just want to see him succeed and be happy. Obviously I have a vested interest in his future because I want to be a part of that future too. I love him so much that it hurts to see him going through this. But he is still young and there is still hope. Things in life could always be worse, but right now I want to concentrate on positive things. My family is frustrated with me now because of the dead end they see for me by staying with him. What can I/we do? I'm thinking of contacting Family Services or Mental Health through the Ministry - I'm not sure how that works, but I think he needs some kind of counseling/therapy in order to find the real problem and take active steps to fix it. This was suggested by a friend in addition to Big Brothers. I don't know anything about how these things work; all I do know is that he can't afford to pay for any extra services or therapy. I've told him that he has to find help (and that I will be there for him) so right now I want to figure out what to do. He's got so much potential if we could only just move this road block. 

Has anyone else had a similar situation? is there something that I'm overlooking, do I have false hope? To me, it seems that potentially this could be a long time in fixing. People don't get out of debt and find a good job over night. They also don't just get out of crippling stress either without intervention and direction. Whether or not we're together in the future, I do want to help and see him succeed in reaching his goals. I want my parents to see that he can do well and is good for me. They want to see him doing something that is productive. He enjoys his art, but we know that being a painter or regular artist takes a lot of work and you have to be really great in order to do well with that as a living. I'm between a rock and a hard place. I would be happy if he found a well paying job where he didn't have to worry about things and we could be happy together, but I also want him to be happy with what he does. It would not work to be in something that pays better if you have to drag yourself to the job each day hating it and knowing that this is your depressing future. What options do we really have? The root of his problem seems to be stress and lack of confidence - I believe this partly comes from the icky jobs, the fact that he has no vehicle and has to bike uphill to work or anywhere, I live out of town so am only able to see him after work sometimes or some weekends, he is stuck in that tiny room not able to afford more, has debt, doesn't know what he can do for school and doesn't want to risk more debt, and has no family here who can help him. It's a lot of pressure too hoping that we can have a future while meanwhile things are not looking up for him and he can't do his part to make our future work until some of these things are resolved. Even I am under a lot of pressure because I don't want my parents to be unhappy with me for seemingly wasting my time on him. We really need suggestions and help. I'd appreciate anything at this point. I'm a believer in solving the problem, not putting on a band-aid or hoping it will go away. I can't give him money, but even if I could, it would only be a temporary solution. I can't give him motivation or confidence, that has to come from within. I'm going to at least do what I can to seek out options starting with contacting the ministry for counseling. Any other suggestions? Thanks so much. 

Kristin

Hi Kristin, 

It sounds like you love this man very much.  As I read your post a question kept popping into my mind,   does your boyfriend have some mental health issues that need to be dealt with?  I get a strong sense that he is dealing with  maybe depression or some other issue that he may not even recognize.  This may be something you could discuss with him and suggest there is nothing to lose by checking into .  Don't let money be the issue as most mental health agency's 

have sliding scales and other avenues of helping people work out the payment.   

Other suggestions to explore may include a job coach,   skills assessment, (which can be done without cost here online.  just do a google search) and depending on his age maybe a job core program.  I think they take people to age 26 but you would need to look into that.  Its a wonderful program which provides training while also dealing with many of the other issues that may be stopping a person from being successful.  Call your local employment servicess office and they should be able to give you some information on it, or again do a google search. 

My last thought is, i understand he has had a difficult past but like others have said, that can be said of many people that find ways to overcome it.  Kristin, please try to take a step back and look to see how much effort you are putting into him making changes and how much effort he is putting into making changes.  I have spent the biggest part of my adult life working in the area of supporting others and advocating for them.  I don't claim to know all the answers but one thing i can share from my experience is that there have been many times when I wanted the person I was helping to succeed alot more than they wanted to.  In each of those cases I realized that I had provided the support, the information, I had taken away the excuses of transportation, money and all the others they threw at me.  I found ways around all of them and in the end it always boiled down to me realizing that as much as they said they wanted to change, they weren't going to.  Basically they were happy the way things were.  They knew they could count on me to shoulder their burden and that I would come up with something, they wanted my approval and assistance so they said the right things to me and went thru the right motions but when left on their own they made no effort to change. 

I think your boyfriend is probably a great person and loves you deeply but until he stands up and takes the lead when your not around  there won't be any change and you are going to spend so much energy on him that you will lose yourself.  Please share information with him, but at some  point you must leave it in his hands.   Ask yourself  a few questions;  do you want to see the changes more than he wants them for himself?  If down the road you find yourself struggling and needing guidance and support is he going to be strong enough to supply that for you as you have for him?    If he doesn't discover what it is that holds him back, what is the liklihood that anything will change?   If he doesn't ever change are you willing to spend this much energy keeping him going for the length of your relaionship?  If you are thinking marriage and children, will he be able to provide a strong role model for your children or would he be like another child you need to take care of?   Kristin, there are so many people out there that have the skills they need to be successful yet they aren't, all you can do is provide the path, they must walk that path on their own. 

I wish you the best. 

Theresa 

November 29, 2005, 9:52 pm CST

My work stress

I have a demanding job...I go all day long, letting my boss know where files are, replying to emails, entering orders, making changes on orders, verifying orders with salesmen. Its busy and there are lost of interruptions. I eventually get the work done but by the end of the day I feel like a chicken with its head cut off. Too much at once, I am wondering if I would be more comfortable in a less busy and friendlier work environment.  On top of stress at work I am also deal with stress from my parents because i still live with them. I am trying to find a position where I feel a level of comfort where I can wake up each day and actually not dread going to work.  Is that possible? What do you guys think? Is it worth it for me to look for a new job? Or would I just be setting myself up for another dissappointment by looking for a new job that may or may not be a job that I am comfortable in. Any words of wisdom? Thanks!!!

November 30, 2005, 2:34 pm CST

burnout

Help!  I am an elementary guidance counselor in a small town.  Most people would think this would be a low stress job, but let me tell you it is quite the opposite.  I feel like I am at the end of my rope.  I'm being to feel that for many of our youth the future is grim, even hopeless.  Everyday, teachers and parents send me their children in hopes that I can "fix" them.  How can I "fix" so many children whose lives are literally destroyed by their parents' (bad)choices.  I have so many students whose parents are divorced, on drugs, or in jail, or they change partners on a weekly/daily basis.  There may be 4 siblings in a home, each with a different father. New mom or dad is whoever spent the night last night.  Many are unemployed. So many parents don't have clue that what they do has such an effect on their child's behavior; and if they do, they don't seem to care.  We live in a time where parenting, morals and values come second to the parents' daily desires.  Don't get me wrong, I love my job....but I feel my well is running dry.   If some of you only knew the horror stories I hear on a daily basis.   Adults can control their lives.....children can't!  Is our society doomed........I am being to think so if things don't change. How can I help kids when there is so little they can control???????????

December 7, 2005, 4:34 pm CST

Stress at Work

Quote From: andynono

Many people who choose to take the verbal and emotional abuse they endure at work with a smile on their face, only go on to abuse their loved one's outside of their work environment. This is very similair to the school-yard bully, only in reverse. As in most abuse cases, the abused takes the abuse again and again, only making the abuser feel even more powerful. Abuse can be as subtle as an employer who expects undue or unrealistic respect from an employee. There are all kinds of courses, conferences, and books on how to be a better employee. I have heard of none that are on how to be a better employer. 

Actually, I have heard of courses/conferences that talk about being a better employer. My boss is taking them. I only wish these things were more widely available and advocated.

December 7, 2005, 11:30 pm CST

TRAINING FOR THE FURTURE

Quote From: findu10

You're not alone I'm now almost 42 and lived in the same situaton for years. You're only hope is  

that you're father is soon going to retire as mine did. I found out at a young age that labor laws 

do not apply to you're children. Sure you have the option of getting another job. But, you have worked so hard to make this business you're future. One day I walked up and put it on the table 

I demanded a decent wage and respect. I meant it and it worked. Now 6 years later, I own the company and my parents are retired. I was a long road but, one worth walking.   

I have read your post and I thought that you might look at some high School kids to assist you and most kids will try hard, It might give you some very needed help.. 

Good luck, 

December 12, 2005, 10:52 am CST

Follow your heart

Quote From: della_anne

I have a demanding job...I go all day long, letting my boss know where files are, replying to emails, entering orders, making changes on orders, verifying orders with salesmen. Its busy and there are lost of interruptions. I eventually get the work done but by the end of the day I feel like a chicken with its head cut off. Too much at once, I am wondering if I would be more comfortable in a less busy and friendlier work environment.  On top of stress at work I am also deal with stress from my parents because i still live with them. I am trying to find a position where I feel a level of comfort where I can wake up each day and actually not dread going to work.  Is that possible? What do you guys think? Is it worth it for me to look for a new job? Or would I just be setting myself up for another dissappointment by looking for a new job that may or may not be a job that I am comfortable in. Any words of wisdom? Thanks!!!

For many years, I worked in an office that was high stress. My "boss" was very clueless to many aspects of the business, and relied heavily on the support staff. I always put my job and his business first in my life. Bad move!! When it came right down to it, I was just as expendable as a piece of paper! This man only cared about himself , the money he was making, and how not to spend it on the business. I suffered with a musculo-skeletal  injury and my Dr finally took me out of work fulltime. Dear "boss" fired me,  made sure I didn't receive unemployment , and is fighting tooth and nail to deny me disabilty and compensation benefits to receive further medical care. I am now unemployed, financially stressed, and in pain still. 

SO...never, ever , ever, ever, put a job before your health, your peace of mind or your family. If you are feeling like a chicken with your head cut off, Get Out now, before it detroys your life. 

My opinion only...life is too short to be miserable.  We should work to live, not live for work. Good Luck! 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last