Message Boards

Topic : Stress at Work

Number of Replies: 237
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:24:47 am
Author : dataimport
How do you manage stress in the workplace? How do you leave the office at the office and manage a stress-free home life? Join us to share strategies.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 18, 2005, 8:00 pm CDT

Job stress

Quote From: jettav

Too much stress can affect a erson mentally emotionally, spiritaully and physically. We must learn to choose our battles and do what is right for us as individuals, yes, we want our families to be happy and provided for but if we are so stress out and can't tell if we are coming or going then we will be of no help to those we love and care for. I have been a workaholic and have been stressed to the point where every aspect of my being was being affected. I had to learn to say no and to stick up for myself even to the point where I had walked out on a job leaving those Iw orked with in a great bind as there were children involved in my work, but it was something that had to be done for the sake of my own health and well being, yes, the guilt was there as well as the feeling of failing others but it was the best thing that I could have done for myself but now I am experiencing it again only this time it is my husband going through this and not only is the stress affecting him but it is affecting me and our children, We love each other dearly and are a great support team and as we have been dealing with this my husband just got laid of his main job which brings in about 6o % of our income but it is a blessing in a way as he is in much need of rest and reassurrance that he is a great asset to himself as well as to his family and friends. We must set our priorities but at the same time keep our selves in tune with our bodies and minds and to realize that we deserve to be happy and fullfilled. Sometimes we need to take time for us and for me, prayer and family/friend support has done wonders. If we are not as "together" as we need/should be then it will affect our families as well and no one will succeed. As in our situation at the moment, yes, it is gonna be a little rough at first but I want my husband to be himself again and to have that self worth that we all so much need in this society. We do not have to allow people,situations to take control of our lives, I know all this sounds easiersaid then done but to me it has been a reality, sometimes we just need to take a step back and give our selves some time to reevaluate our goals and to work to get ourselves where we need/want to be. stress and depression as far as I am concerned are definetly on the top of the list of ruining not only an individual but also a family, just not worth it. Though my hubby is a little concerned about not having this job, he and I both can already see a difference in his attitutde and physical health, blood pressure is not too high as it has been for months and he is eating better and it has only been a a few days since the lay off. I have encouraged him to take it easy and as he is sending out resumes, not to feel pressured and as we prepare for vacation in a few weeks, he will have the much needed rest and be ready for the new job that we know he will soon have. We have faith and each others strength and support and know that all will work out for the best. Life isn't always easy but we must take control of our own lives and do what we need to do to help ourselves to be achievers, if we don't then we will lose and may take otheres along with us. In my case as well as hubby's case, we found that work related stress just wasn't worth our time, some stress may be good but when it comes to taking over our lives then I believe that is wrong and to be who we are/want to be just isn't easy or even possible because we are so bogged down with work and the probelms there that we just don't have it in us to reach our full potential, and that is when some changes need to start taking place and it might mean stepping out of our comfort zones and seeking out new options.......

Hi Jettav 

I love your post about too much stress etc. I am 52, and am very stressed at work. Dental office, high pressure. I have about decided to quit. We would miss my salary though. I know ways I can cut back on spending, but it concerns me about the lack of salary. However, I am so stressed out that I am exhausted all weekend, finally get the energy to go back the next week,even tho I don't want to . I am really beginning to feel that I will eat dried beans or whatever it takes. I have no energy for life out side  of my job. I really did like your post. Good luck to you and your family!! 

August 18, 2005, 8:21 pm CDT

Stress at Work

Quote From: mcdaniel50

Hi Jettav 

I love your post about too much stress etc. I am 52, and am very stressed at work. Dental office, high pressure. I have about decided to quit. We would miss my salary though. I know ways I can cut back on spending, but it concerns me about the lack of salary. However, I am so stressed out that I am exhausted all weekend, finally get the energy to go back the next week,even tho I don't want to . I am really beginning to feel that I will eat dried beans or whatever it takes. I have no energy for life out side  of my job. I really did like your post. Good luck to you and your family!! 

I am glad that you liked my post. I do understand about stress and what it can do to a person and really, it just isn't worth the pain and energy that it causes. Just listen to your intuition and follow your heart. Your health and happiness is very imporant. you already said that yo know of things that you can cut back on, maybe you can find a part time job to help with finaces. What are your hobbies/things that you like to do? Maybe you can find something to do that would fit into your lifestyle and enhance your hobbies. I believe that if we are not happy with our jobs then life is just going to be miserable, of course that is just my opinion, but looking back at what I went through with a certain job and the whole situation there, I am glad that I walked out, I stood up for my self and when I got home and actually sat down for a bit, I felt such a relief, I was a littel nervous about how our finances were going to be like and all but yet, relieved and it was a great feeling. My husband had high blood pressure for months and when he got laid off, it went down within a couple of days and it is still down, he isn't edgy as he was and his whole attitude has changed for the good. Now, he is a hard worker and loves what he does, but this particular work place had many demands and dead lines to meet and sometimes my husbnad was the only one putting in the effort, to the point that he was working 15 hours a day and not making it to the second job or just too exhausted to be with his family, just not worth it, I told him that he needed to quit and in less then two weeks he was laid off, God certainly had his hand on my husband. I have made it clear to him that I an not ready to be a single parent therefore he needs to start taking care of himself. :)

August 19, 2005, 5:21 am CDT

thanks

Quote From: jettav

I am glad that you liked my post. I do understand about stress and what it can do to a person and really, it just isn't worth the pain and energy that it causes. Just listen to your intuition and follow your heart. Your health and happiness is very imporant. you already said that yo know of things that you can cut back on, maybe you can find a part time job to help with finaces. What are your hobbies/things that you like to do? Maybe you can find something to do that would fit into your lifestyle and enhance your hobbies. I believe that if we are not happy with our jobs then life is just going to be miserable, of course that is just my opinion, but looking back at what I went through with a certain job and the whole situation there, I am glad that I walked out, I stood up for my self and when I got home and actually sat down for a bit, I felt such a relief, I was a littel nervous about how our finances were going to be like and all but yet, relieved and it was a great feeling. My husband had high blood pressure for months and when he got laid off, it went down within a couple of days and it is still down, he isn't edgy as he was and his whole attitude has changed for the good. Now, he is a hard worker and loves what he does, but this particular work place had many demands and dead lines to meet and sometimes my husbnad was the only one putting in the effort, to the point that he was working 15 hours a day and not making it to the second job or just too exhausted to be with his family, just not worth it, I told him that he needed to quit and in less then two weeks he was laid off, God certainly had his hand on my husband. I have made it clear to him that I an not ready to be a single parent therefore he needs to start taking care of himself. :)

You are very mature for your years! I got out of the bed this am, could barely walk due to low back pain. It loosens up after a while, but is getting worse. My hips ache during the nite, and my back has spasms during the nite. I think that is a postural thing from my work as a DH.  Dentists want you to see pts faster these days, production. I am so tired of feeling like a machine.  I just wish I could get this weight off my body now! I need to lose 90lbs at least. So hard to stay motivated. But I want to be slender one more time before I get too old! 

Have a great day. 

August 24, 2005, 10:40 pm CDT

Need Help Motivating a Student

Hello, everybody! 

I just started a new job today, where I work with a group of sixth graders in an after school program. It's my job to help them with their work, see that they don't kill each other, etc. I really love it; they're great kids...all but one. He was reluctant to do his homework and disruptive to the point that the teacher had to send him out of the room. He's a good kid, really, but he just can't seem to obey the rules and focus on his homework. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can help to motivate him to reach his full potential? Any and all comments would be greatly appreciated! 

Thank you! 

~Greeny. 

August 25, 2005, 10:50 am CDT

Job Frustrations

I am really sutck in a bad position. I have a job working 12 hour shifts. I would definately like to change jobs. I saw a course at a near by college that I want to take to start a new career. Because of my crazy 12 hour shifts, my boss will not authorize my to take the time off to take this course. So I am stuck in this job because it is the only think I know how to do. It is all I have done sice I come out of high school. GRRRRRRRRRRR. So frustrating.  

August 27, 2005, 8:03 am CDT

changing jobs

Quote From: hercules12

I am really sutck in a bad position. I have a job working 12 hour shifts. I would definately like to change jobs. I saw a course at a near by college that I want to take to start a new career. Because of my crazy 12 hour shifts, my boss will not authorize my to take the time off to take this course. So I am stuck in this job because it is the only think I know how to do. It is all I have done sice I come out of high school. GRRRRRRRRRRR. So frustrating.  

HI,  

I don't know how good this advice is..........But quit!  If you can afford to go with out working for a while, quit and go back to school, or start saving up and then quit.  I would not let this job dictate how your life is going to go.  If you can see a way to better your self, then do it.  It may seem crazy right now, but in the long run you will be glad you did.  Good Luck!  

August 28, 2005, 6:33 am CDT

Stress at Work

Quote From: greeny

Hello, everybody! 

I just started a new job today, where I work with a group of sixth graders in an after school program. It's my job to help them with their work, see that they don't kill each other, etc. I really love it; they're great kids...all but one. He was reluctant to do his homework and disruptive to the point that the teacher had to send him out of the room. He's a good kid, really, but he just can't seem to obey the rules and focus on his homework. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can help to motivate him to reach his full potential? Any and all comments would be greatly appreciated! 

Thank you! 

Greeny. 

Hey!I'm not a child psychologist, but if the kid isn;t ready to do school work right after school, maybe he needs a break. Does he have low blood sugar that makes it hard for him to concnetrate? Does he just need to run around for a while? Maybe if you can get him into some exercise and then a snack with a glass fo water he will settle down. Or, it might just be he needs to do some deep breathing. Everyone thinks I am nuts, but when my kdis get hyper, I stand really close to them and give them a hug and say "calm down, take a deep breath, calm down, take a deep breath" like a chant and it truly calms them down (the extra oxygen can't hurt!) Now they tell their friends and even me when they see me getting haired out, to calm down and take a deep breath. Its a lot better than screaming at them to stop it.

August 28, 2005, 6:36 am CDT

12 hour shifts.....

Quote From: hercules12

Thats tough! Does that mean you work 12 hour shifts 5 days a weeek? Could you start some online course things? Does the college offer anything close to your time off? HAve you talked with the college about trying to do some scheduling?YOu are not alone! If youare working 12 hour shifts already, you are probably motivated enough to succeed in whatever you do- good luck!

August 29, 2005, 8:46 pm CDT

The IRS

Ok, about the IRS. First of all, if you looked at the amount of money it takes to simply run the IRS as badly as they do, you would see that very little money actually enters the US coffers- the country is run on fines, fees and interest. I believe that if we instituted a transactional tax and did away with an income based tax- which would only collect tax when someone buys something- we would all have more money. IT would also be far more fair because people with more money buy more things, and hence would pay more tax. Imported goods would need to be taxed more heavily, especially luxury items, to encourage people to buy American and stimulate the job market. The money that people DIDN'T have to pay in income tax, would be used in one of only 2 ways- saved or spent. Saved would mean that there would be more domestic money available for Americans to borrow, and interest paid directly to the citizens, or Spent, which would create jobs and  industry. BUT since the rich don't pay their taxes -ask Leona Helmsley-due to tax shelters, exemptions, etc, they are never going to encourage this. Yes, a transactional tax would have to be steep, but since we would have more money from not paying income tax, it would more than even things out......hey, I think the American gov't should give each taxpayer who makes less than 100K a year a check for 10,000 that they had to spend within one year- can you imagine all the purchases made, jobs created, loans paid off and more money in circulation?????

September 2, 2005, 7:12 am CDT

you should run for president

Quote From: queentween

Ok, about the IRS. First of all, if you looked at the amount of money it takes to simply run the IRS as badly as they do, you would see that very little money actually enters the US coffers- the country is run on fines, fees and interest. I believe that if we instituted a transactional tax and did away with an income based tax- which would only collect tax when someone buys something- we would all have more money. IT would also be far more fair because people with more money buy more things, and hence would pay more tax. Imported goods would need to be taxed more heavily, especially luxury items, to encourage people to buy American and stimulate the job market. The money that people DIDN'T have to pay in income tax, would be used in one of only 2 ways- saved or spent. Saved would mean that there would be more domestic money available for Americans to borrow, and interest paid directly to the citizens, or Spent, which would create jobs and  industry. BUT since the rich don't pay their taxes -ask Leona Helmsley-due to tax shelters, exemptions, etc, they are never going to encourage this. Yes, a transactional tax would have to be steep, but since we would have more money from not paying income tax, it would more than even things out......hey, I think the American gov't should give each taxpayer who makes less than 100K a year a check for 10,000 that they had to spend within one year- can you imagine all the purchases made, jobs created, loans paid off and more money in circulation?????

Hi there, I like your idea, but that is probably way too simple.   LOL  But my problem with the IRS is the fact that they made a mistake, not me.  They sent me one of their nasty threatening letters on a transaction that was already done, sent in, paid in full.......what ever.  They did not bother to look at my account to see what activity had taken place, because if they had, they would have seen that there was a note on my account to the fact that my papers had been received almost 3 weeks before this time.  I have been searching the web for almost 3 weeks now and I have yet to find a place to file a complaint.  I can find all sorts of agencies or websights that "might" be able to help or I send an email and never hear back.  People need to stop being affraid of the IRS.  I know they can ruin your life, but this time this is thier screw up and they need to face the music just the same as we do when something goes wrong.  But the way I am seeing it, they screwed up, so they can just retreat and hide.  I call fowl on this one.  If anyone that reads this knows of an avenue for me to use, I would love to hear it.  They made me very mad and having a nice day did not happen that day and I just don't think I needed to be put through that.  

Thanks and have a great weekend.  Pray for the people in Louisiana and Mississippi!  

NOrma  

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last