Message Boards

Topic : 10/23 Tuesdays with Morrie

Number of Replies: 97
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 19, 2007, 01:45:04 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

If you knew you were going to die tomorrow, could you say you lived your life to the absolute fullest, or would you have regrets? This year marks the 10th anniversary of the best-selling memoir of all time, Tuesdays with Morrie, and the author, Mitch Albom, remembers his former teacher and mentor’s simple but important messages that have touched so many. Joined by Morrie Schwartz’s loved ones, Mitch shares his friend’s wisdom and life lessons as they pertain to Dr. Phil’s guests. When Bobby and Kelly appeared on the show previously, they were on the verge of divorce because she was tired of being the primary breadwinner and had lost confidence in her husband. Now, is it possible for Kelly to find forgiveness? Then, Tarah wants her husband to reprioritize his life and start putting his family first. She says he chooses dirt biking, hanging with his pals and lounging on the couch over important family events. Josh admits he can be selfish, but says if Tarah had a job, she’d know how he felt when he got home. Plus, guests reflect on the meaning of Morrie’s life lessons and share how they were inspired to change their lives.  Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 24, 2007, 9:37 am CDT

I totally agree.........

Quote From: kcornelius

I watched the program, and I understand the messages. Unfortunatly for some people in this world, living your life to the fullest, and going to places you only dream about is only a dream. Many people do not have the financial backing to do anything, except work, just to pay  the bills, and I am one of them. Even if I had a terminal disease, I still would not be able to live life, nothing would change, except dying before I thought I would. I do agree that anyone who has the capabilities to live their dreams, should not wait to do it.
While I haven't read the book, I completely understand what the message is.  However, as stated above, if I were to learn I only had six months to live, NOTHING in my life would change.  I'm on SSI, Medicaid, live with my mother.......WHERE would I get the $$$$ this woman seemingly had to do all of the things she did with her life.............it's a great philosophy to live by...............but we all can't AFFORD to live life to the fullest!!!!!!!!!! (Contrary to what Mitch says about money,  you DO have to have it to live and more of it to live comfortably!)

October 24, 2007, 10:11 am CDT

Could have been so much more!

I think Dr. Phil wasted a huge opportunity to share what effect disease has on family, friends and even strangers.  To me the meaning of the book shouldn't have been the main focus.  It should have been the bond formed between Morrie and Mitch and how they enriched each others life.  With more time spent on what ALS is, the history and the need for more research. 

The portrayal of ALS was nice but not realistic for most of us with ALS.  I was 24 and pregnant when I was diagnosed in 2001.  No way we could just pick up and live our dreams.  My husband had to work to pay medical bills and to continue living in our house! 

Dr. Phil; you almost seemed uncomfortable when talking to the lady with ALS.  Why? 

It could have been so much more! 

October 24, 2007, 11:05 am CDT

ALS

In 1968 my grandfather died of ALS. I wasn't born till 1969 a year after his deant so I never even got the meet him. My mother and my grandmother were his care takes and it was the hardest thing they have ever done. When he was diagnosed he was given only 6 months to live and he only lived 2 months. My mom told me that her dad said is that the hardest thing of it all is that the mind is still fully functioning while the body is failing. I am constantly worried that it will hit someone else in my family. I just wish I could have met my grandfather. My grandmother said he was the most wonderful mad she had ever met. They were married for many years and after he died she lived another 16 years. She never dated or even considered dating she said he was the love of her life and there would be no other like him. Anyway, I had never heard of this book untill I watched this show. I plan to buy this book and sahre it with my mother. Thanks for such a moving and thought provoking show.

October 24, 2007, 11:09 am CDT

A Grateful Life

I watched my Mother die of ALS. It was a slow, agonizing death. I know too well how much courage it takes anyone to live through his horrible disease and I have always admired my Mother's courage to not "take the easy way out" as I have seen others do.  This experience taught me to be grateful for each and every day because I have seen first hand how very fast things can change.  I will always miss my Mother and the time she was unable to live to enjoy her grandchildren.  There are many questions I would like to ask her and so many discussions I would like to have with her.   I cherish each and every day I have with my loved ones and do my very best to let everyone know how much I love them and how special life is.  It is so important to live life so that you have no regrets.  The story, Tuesdays with Morrie, hit especially hard but has such a great message.  It would be of benefit for everyone to read.

October 24, 2007, 12:45 pm CDT

10/23 Tuesdays with Morrie

This is a great book..just to let you know that Tuesdays with Morrie is a required book for an Aging class at the University.

October 24, 2007, 1:15 pm CDT

Tuesday's with Morrie

Dear Dr. Phil:

I was so anxious to watch your show of Oct. 23, "Tuesday's with Morrie", by Mitch Albom.  I really felt you would bring to the attention of your viewers the bravery of someone living with ALS.  Instead, you took the book and tried to have your guests (couples with bad marriages) relate to Mitch's book and the lessons he learned from his relationship with Morrie.  I watched the w-h-o-l-e show, and it was so very disappointing.

Dr. Phil, as a care-giver to my husband, who was diagnosed with ALS in 2002, I can honestly say that what you were trying to do with these guests was to have them live by the example of the legecy that Morrie left behind.  However, it was so painfully obvious that these folks just did not and cannot "get IT" because they have not had to endure the pain and sadness of having lost ANYONE they truly love become lost through any accident or terminal disease.

I only hope that I am conveying my message correctly.  What you should have done, if you will forgive me, is to actually FEATURE people living with this dreadful disease and have THEM tell you and your audience the lessons (like Morrie) learned about loving and how they would change their past if only they could. 

May I also strongly urge you to also interview the wives, husbands, friends, and relatives who devote their lives to care for someone who is dying.  These jobs are 24/7,  and are done purely for love of the person who has ALS and is dying before our eyes.  You have many shows where people talk about their lives negatively...why not feature some of the hero's of this world who show their strength just by opening their eyes each morning.

Please, please have a show to talk to people who already have come to know the true meaning of living and loving...the message that Morrie wanted to convey and that which Mitch Albom wrote about.  I am certain that it will have a much greater impact on your audience than to present people who (obviously) don't know the first thing about loving.  I will give you credit for trying. 

Also, you did a great injustice to the patient living with ALS.  She should have been given time to tell her story.  Most people familiar with ALS already own the bracelets.  Hopefully, some folks did make a contribution to the ALS Foundation.  With regard to the book, Yes, I do hope people will read it and be able to learn from it.  But, again, if you had not read the book and did not know about Morrie, your show did not mean anything to your audience.

Rita

Wife of Ken, who was diagnosed with ALS in May 2002. 

October 24, 2007, 1:51 pm CDT

Lifes to short

Quote From: cure4als

My mom, Jeri Garrison, passed away from this horrid disease, ALS, on August 18, 2207.  My biggest fear now is that my daughter, sister, Aunt or even myself could be diagnosed next. The lesson in the Dr. Phil story is important to live your life to the fullest. But as a person who has watched someone suffer from ALS, I beg you to learn about this incurable disease and if in the position to do so help in the fight to find a cure. As I said before, you or I might be next. Please visit alsohio.org to find out how you can help.

My family in one of the 3% of ALS that is heredatary, we carrie the SOD1 gene. Please don't worry that you, your  daughter or aunt will have ALS unless it is FALS and you carrie the SOD1 gene. I am so sorry about you Mom, To lose a Mom  to any illness is bad enough but it is ten fold to ALS. I lost my Dad and 5 other family members to FALS and I know it will not stop at them, Now it's just who's next. So educate yourself and get gene tested if you really want to know.

Take Care
And Race For the Cure

Joe R. Meridith (my Dad) Died 4-14-1983 of ALS.  

Patricia Gaskins (Dad's Sister) Died 1-2007 of ALS.  

Vernadean Hughes (Dads Cousin)Died 1-26-1998 of ALS.  

Roger Pickett (Dad's Cousin) Died 2000 of ALS.  

Thomas Meridith (Dad's Uncle) Died 1979 of ALS.  

Betty Coleman (Dad's Cousin) Died 1998 of ALS

October 24, 2007, 3:34 pm CDT

Tuesdays with Morrie

Quote From: daliany

I wish Dr. Phil would add a way to send private messages from his boards. My situation is so much like yours and it's heartbreaking. I got email from my son almost a year ago telling me that I wasn't fit to see my grandchildren. Last week I got a call from him and he wanted 25,000.00 to save his house from foreclosure. Then 2 days later a call asking me to buy his house and let him rent it from me. Then 2 days later asking me to pay his bankruptcy attorney. Then I saw this show. I am in such turmoil because rather than bail him out financially, I want to send him this book. Young people who are acting like my son and your daughter seriously need to see that someday we will be gone and what heartbreak they are going to go through. I chose to say "no, with love" as opposed to "yes out of fear" to all his requests this past week. Money won't solve his problem. He has a wife who  has steadfastly refused to work, yet never fixes a meal or cleans up the house. When the kids were babies they were in day care. She might have been a stay at home mom but she didn't have stay at home kids, so what was the point? And frankly, she's more of a stay at Target mom than she ever spent at home.

I am bracing myself for the after math of this mess but am trying very hard to keep Tuesdays With Morrie at the forefront of my brain. The house goes to foreclosure today and I'm quite sure my daughter in law will bail from the marriage. They will have to vacate the house by December 1st and at that point my son becomes homeless. I'm hoping I can muster the strength to help my son through this emotionally and when all the smoke clears, that he will see that his wife hadn't been with him for years and that any financial responsibility was not his alone. My son is my only child and I love him dearly. To watch him go through this is harder than anything I've ever done.

Yes your situation sounds somewhat similar. My daughter is my only child as well. At least your son (if only to ask for money) is talking to you now. Maybe you will have your grandchildren back into your life again soon. I hope so for you. I personally don't care about my daughter and her sorry excuse of a significant other anymore. She has done too much to my husband and I over her lifetime of 35 years. She was a good child up until the age of 13, then she turned into a horror. Drugs, dropped out of highschool, ran away from home...we did not know if she was dead or alive for 4 months. Lived with a druggie, got pregnant twice with him and had two abortions (we had to support her through the two) etc etc etc, I could go on and on. She married this guy and we learned of the upcoming wedding two weeks in advance by mistake. She never intended to invite anyone from her family. I refused to attend, but the rest of the family went. I don't go where I am not wanted. I will not go through what went on during the marriage, but we certainly spent a lot of money on them. We helped her with rent, my husband co-signed for a new car and ended up having to pay for it etc etc etc again. She finally divorsed (which we paid for) and we set her up in my parents home which I bought my sisters share of when they both passed away one after the other. We renovated totally and charged her very little rent to live in a beautiful home. She went on a small week-end trip to meet a friend and came home pregnant. Then she brought him back to live with her. He brought nothing to the party. Over the years they had three children. We were very close and good to the children. Vacations, outings, ice shows, circus etc etc. The youngest was taken away from us at 6 months. She was such a doll. She was a year old in June. We did not get to see her for her first birthday. All the time that we thought that they were not in good financial shape, they were saving up their money. They don't need us anymore, so they have thrown us away like an old pair of shoes. We miss the children so much, I cry and cry all of the time. My husband's mother is 82, their great grandmother. She did nothing wrong. She is not contacted either. She also misses them very much. All of our friends know what we did for my daughter, they are all shocked over what has happened. At first they all thought that we must have done something terrible to her for her to leave the way she did. We have told our side of the story to them, but I still think that they think we did something terrible. A normal daughter  would not do this to her parents over practically nothing. My husband sold her his car. He has post dated cheques that have been honored to date, but they run out January 1st and she still owes us several thousand. I bet she will try and get away with it. She bought a very expensive home, but she is now far away. We used to see the grandchildren almost every week-end. Now I have not seen them in 11 months. She told us of her intention to take them out of school early to move, we told her that this was not good to do and she took great offence. All she cares about is herself and her fancy home. We had a friend spy on them. She is on a dead end street with a very busy street at the end. The kids can't even ride their bikes. There are no buses or trains where she lives, no stores, no nothing. The childen will not like living there when they get older, I bet they are not happy there now. What a nightmare, I want to see my grandchildren so bad.  

October 24, 2007, 4:22 pm CDT

10/23 Tuesdays with Morrie

Quote From: als525

How do you know that Tarah keeps her son from Josh's parents? If you know them then you know why his parents don't see Brody that much and you have no right to blame Tarah for anything. If you don't know them, then you shouldn't be posting comments on here blaming Tarah. Tarah doesn't need to change her priorities at all. She is there for her family and friends whenever anyone needs anything.

Tarah and Josh are great peeople and deserve the best. Josh is a good guy but he should have been there for Tarah. She is still having a hard time with the miscarriage and hopefully he will be there from now on.

To Tarah and Josh- I love you both!

It is obvious who is commenting about Tarah keeping her son from her husband's parents. It must be his parents or someone close to them.  They should be the ones trying to help and not HURT the situation.  Whoever commented like that are truly forgetting the most difficult point- the miscarriage. Are they that heartless to comment on Tarah like that have.  They should be ashamed. Marriage can be difficult at times of course, but family support should be 100% all around.  Maybe the ones commenting like that should look at the way they are handling the situation and make changes themselves that are positive for this couple.  They could be the ones making life more difficult for this couple. 

October 24, 2007, 8:25 pm CDT

I So Agree

Quote From: rkinder

Dear Dr. Phil:

I was so anxious to watch your show of Oct. 23, "Tuesday's with Morrie", by Mitch Albom.  I really felt you would bring to the attention of your viewers the bravery of someone living with ALS.  Instead, you took the book and tried to have your guests (couples with bad marriages) relate to Mitch's book and the lessons he learned from his relationship with Morrie.  I watched the w-h-o-l-e show, and it was so very disappointing.

Dr. Phil, as a care-giver to my husband, who was diagnosed with ALS in 2002, I can honestly say that what you were trying to do with these guests was to have them live by the example of the legecy that Morrie left behind.  However, it was so painfully obvious that these folks just did not and cannot "get IT" because they have not had to endure the pain and sadness of having lost ANYONE they truly love become lost through any accident or terminal disease.

I only hope that I am conveying my message correctly.  What you should have done, if you will forgive me, is to actually FEATURE people living with this dreadful disease and have THEM tell you and your audience the lessons (like Morrie) learned about loving and how they would change their past if only they could. 

May I also strongly urge you to also interview the wives, husbands, friends, and relatives who devote their lives to care for someone who is dying.  These jobs are 24/7,  and are done purely for love of the person who has ALS and is dying before our eyes.  You have many shows where people talk about their lives negatively...why not feature some of the hero's of this world who show their strength just by opening their eyes each morning.

Please, please have a show to talk to people who already have come to know the true meaning of living and loving...the message that Morrie wanted to convey and that which Mitch Albom wrote about.  I am certain that it will have a much greater impact on your audience than to present people who (obviously) don't know the first thing about loving.  I will give you credit for trying. 

Also, you did a great injustice to the patient living with ALS.  She should have been given time to tell her story.  Most people familiar with ALS already own the bracelets.  Hopefully, some folks did make a contribution to the ALS Foundation.  With regard to the book, Yes, I do hope people will read it and be able to learn from it.  But, again, if you had not read the book and did not know about Morrie, your show did not mean anything to your audience.

Rita

Wife of Ken, who was diagnosed with ALS in May 2002. 

I was so disappointed with this show.  I was diagnosed with ALS in Jan of 2006.  You know that it's a horrid, cruel disease.  Not only for me but also for the people that love me.  Just as it is for Ken and you. 

I am a happy person most of the time thanks to my faith in God and the love and support I receive from my family and friends.  However, I still think about my future and what my loved ones are going through. 

Dr. Phil missed a prime opportunity to raise awareness and help raise funds for research.  Research for a cure that may not come soon enough to help your Ken and me but hopefully a cure for folks in the future.

My best to the both of you.  I will keep you in my prayers.

Amelia

First | Prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last