Message Boards

Topic : 10/23 Tuesdays with Morrie

Number of Replies: 97
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 19, 2007, 01:45:04 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

If you knew you were going to die tomorrow, could you say you lived your life to the absolute fullest, or would you have regrets? This year marks the 10th anniversary of the best-selling memoir of all time, Tuesdays with Morrie, and the author, Mitch Albom, remembers his former teacher and mentor’s simple but important messages that have touched so many. Joined by Morrie Schwartz’s loved ones, Mitch shares his friend’s wisdom and life lessons as they pertain to Dr. Phil’s guests. When Bobby and Kelly appeared on the show previously, they were on the verge of divorce because she was tired of being the primary breadwinner and had lost confidence in her husband. Now, is it possible for Kelly to find forgiveness? Then, Tarah wants her husband to reprioritize his life and start putting his family first. She says he chooses dirt biking, hanging with his pals and lounging on the couch over important family events. Josh admits he can be selfish, but says if Tarah had a job, she’d know how he felt when he got home. Plus, guests reflect on the meaning of Morrie’s life lessons and share how they were inspired to change their lives.  Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 24, 2007, 10:49 pm CDT

As my husband was dying

I read "Tuesdays With Morrie" many years before my husband died from Cancer in 1997.  It was such a help in coping--letting Jack talk about our life, our love of 32 years, our child--his dreams, his failures (as he perceived them).  I think my knowledge of this book let my husband die in a way that was both elegant (sorry--that is the right word) and powerful.  The word I used-elegant--means with his head up, with knowledge, with the awareness of himself.

October 24, 2007, 11:21 pm CDT

ALS

Dr. Phil,

I though Mitch Albom and Denise is a great job. It is to bad that you did not tell the audience about what ALS is. You could of had more patients, friends and family of people that are living with ALS. Instead you decided to bring back people that were on your show a couple of months ago. It is to bad you missed this opportunity.

You have know idea what life is like. There is plenty that would fill up the show. You could of had Denise on stage and asked her about her story.

lbo

October 25, 2007, 9:02 am CDT

Tuesday's With Morrie

I am a high school teacher in inner-city milwaukee and needed some way to  reach out to my students who do not think beyond tomorrow. Most of my students have a small picture of what their lives are going to be like and truly believe that they cannot plan ten years ahead because they are unsure of whether they are going to reach next week. I have had a hard time getting them interested in reading, so I decided to pick up Tuesday's With Morrie. I read the book when it came out and thought "this might work". So, I brought it to class. Not only did we finish the entire book, but my kids loved it. We then watched the movie, and they loved that as well. I see some of my students this year and from time to time they bring up the book. They learned a lot of life lessons and brought up some very pertinent conversations. Thank you for having him on your show...I told some of my students and they watched the show as well. You never know who you are going to reach and some of the toughest kids on the streets really enjoyed this book.

October 25, 2007, 11:34 am CDT

What a Great Book and Message!

When this book came out ten years ago I was only 14 years old. Now I am 24 years old nearly 25, Im going to college to be an elementry teacher and when I say Mitch on the show and how much Dr. Phil talked up this book I bought it that day. I have read it cover to cover in two days which is not easy with a 13cr class load and midterms. But it was so captivating and insiteful and it really gave me perpective on where and how I want to live my life. Thank you Mitch, Dr. Phil and esspecially Morrie for helping me realize what's really important in life.

October 25, 2007, 5:24 pm CDT

Thank you Dr. Phil for airing ALS info. on Your Show!

I am a 37-yr-old single parent of an 18-yr-old boy. I struggle with depression and anxiety, and after the death of my Dad in 2004 due to ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease), I have had a painful void in my life, as has my Mother, sister and son.  He was like a Father to my son.  He was his role model.  My Dad was only 60 yrs.old when he passed away from this very cruel disease.  I unfortunately missed the show that aired this past Tuesday, but will buy a tape, so my family and I can watch.  You have no idea how much it means to my family and so many others for you to have done a show relating to ALS.  The disease gets little media attention, and not enough funding.  Most individuals don't even know what it is.  It is a rare disease, but it does not discriminate.  I still to this day cannot believe my Dad is no longer here because of some "mysterious" disease that there is no cure for.  Many Gulf War Vets are being dx with ALS.  There are certain "clusters" in various states.  I do believe it is part environmental, and part gene-related. 

The House of Representatives just passed a bill approving an ALS National Registry.  That has been needed for many years, and I was so happy to hear about that.  It will give the researchers so much important information that will help them fight this disease and hopefully help them find a cure very soon.

My Dad was on the Burleson School for many years, a successful self-employed CPA, and a very good, Christian man involved with the First Baptist Church as a deacon.  He is missed by many friends, some he had known since elementary school.  He was fortunate to be a patient of one of the best ALS doctors in the U.S.  Dr. Stanley Appel, who works at UT Southwestern Medical Center in Houston, Texas.  Dr. Appel was wonderful, and my Dad was very fortunate to live so close to his location, and to receive the best care available to him.  There are so many that are not able to receive the care my Dad had, and I know there are many that do not have insurance. 

My heart and prayers go out to those individuals who have or are now struggling with this disease, and also to their family members.  I know how hard it is to watch someone you love so much dying.  I know the feeling of not being able to do anything to stop it. 

Thank you again for giving this disease media attention.  Now more people know what it is, and that is so very important.  

Julie in Texas 

October 25, 2007, 6:27 pm CDT

I would like you to read Tuesdays With Morrie

Quote From: birmanmom

This was a very moving program.  It caused me to do a lot of thinking.
I've had cancer three times...all totally different cancers.  Two years ago my husband died of cancer, and just 3 weeks later, I was diagnosed with my 3rd cancer.  I had 6 surgeries, chemo, and radiation.
It was so difficult to go through that all alone right after the death of my husband.
Two months ago I received a call from one of my oncologists.  He said I had to have surgery right away.
August 23rd a large tumor was removed. It turned out to be a recurrence of my 2nd cancer...the one I had 20 years ago.  I was informed that it is not curable.  It will be back.
I live alone way out in the country on a dirt road.  I can't even see any of my neighbors. 
After today's program, I want to read "Tuesdays With Morrie" and intend to purchase it as soon as I can afford it.
It was a wonderful, uplifting program.  I'm so glad I watched.

Hello birmanmom!

I am a family member of Morrie Schwartz and also a cancer survivor.  I looked on the website today because someone told us that pictures of the family were posted online as a result of the 10/23 Dr. Phil show.  We didn't know that they would be online, nor that there was a message board regarding the show.  There's a first time for everything!  Out of curiosity, I wanted to also read about what viewers thought of the show and came across your posting.  I cannot imagine what it is like to be you and understand everything you have been through and are still enduring.  I can only offer something that you may find helpful in lifting your spirits and to provide you with some hope.  If you would like one, I would like to send you a copy of the book, Tuesdays With Morrie as a gift.  Out of privacy for the both of us, please send your name and mailing address to this e-mail:  loveandhope@forcedelesprit.net. 

We (my husband and I) have set-up an alias e-mail address as we are not interested in receiving communications from everyone who is reading these postings.  To the brave lady to whom this is directed (birmanmom)--we hope that you truly enjoy the book!  To everyone else, thank you for respecting our wishes and privacy.

Love and Hope,

D

October 26, 2007, 9:58 am CDT

Tarah and Josh

I had a husband that expressed similar views as those of Josh.  It should have been enough for my daughter and me that he brought home the paycheck.  He wanted to do only those outside activities that primarily interested him: tennis and running w/ buddies, reading sci-fi books when he came home from work.  He also encouraged me to go to work rather stay at home and raise our daughter, so that I would have outside interests and not expect him to interact w/ us.  I would ask him to go play w/ our daughter and then would find her playing in the sandbox or playroom alone while he sat by and read.  The only time he would speak to her would be to correct her play or scold her for something. 

The winter before I left him, I was extremely ill w/ ear/sinus infection.  I had to force him to take a couple of hours from work to go to the doctor w/ me to watch our daughter--no available babysitter and the doctor's office did not allow children w/ patients.  After leaving him at work and going home so ill, he came into the house asking what was for supper.  I know that this is minor compared to missing a wife's miscarriage but the same inconsiderate mindset applies.

When our daughter was 3, he entered her playroom. when she realized it was daddy and not momma, she jumped as if doing something wrong.  That was my defining moment and we left him 7 months later.  I tolerated the mental abuse to me, but when I realized it was affecting my child, I put my foot down and left.

While watching the episode w/ my now 23 yr old, she kept saying, "Oh my goodness that sounds just like Dad!"  Even Josh's facial expressions were reminiscent of my ex-husband's.

I applaude Tarah's reaching out for help at this early stage and hope that either they continue the marriage after some serious counseling or she makes the decision to move on with her life and protect her child from this horrible example of a father/husband/man figure.

October 26, 2007, 6:55 pm CDT

10/23 Tuesdays with Morrie

Quote From: fromthesquare

As if it is not hard enough not to have insurance there is an added complication. The hospitals and doctors cut a deal with the insurance companies.  The doctors might bill $95 for an office visit.  The insurance company tells the doctor that they will pay $40.  After a small deductible is paid by the patient the rest is written off.  Without insurance there is no negotiator.  The patient without the insurance pays the full shot.  I recently had a procedure where they monitored my oxygen with a O2 saturation machine.  This is a clip that fits on your finger and gives a number.  They charged $110 to monitor my oxygen alone.  The insurance company paid $12- the rest was written off.  The patients without insurance therefore actually pay more for their medical care than the insurance companies pay.  Having a healthy baby can cost $4000-$8000.  An emergency room visit can be $100-$200 with tests a HUGE additional charge.  An MRI for example is $1000. We do- of course- have Medicaid which kicks in after you lose everything you own.  Something needs to change.  I am not sure that I want the government in charge of my healthcare though. 
I have no problem with our government being in charge of our healthcare system.  Whenever I go to the hospital the care is always exceptional--sometimes overcrowded but I guess everybody gets sick once in a while. Having a baby here in Canada well you pay nothing.  Everything you  need for yourself and the baby while you are in the hospital is free and anything that you had but didn't use well you get to take home with you.  I couldn't imagine how you guys manage to live like that.  I was sick recently and made probably a dozen hospital emergency room visits--all free.  Had to undergo many different test--also all free.  Had to be administered many different meds--also all free.  I honestly have nothing to complain about the govenment--not when it comes to our medical care---other issues, a different story.

October 29, 2007, 10:28 am CDT

This says what I believe

I was so blessed to watch this show.  I worked for a medical organization inside a prison and was always telling myself, I refuse to treat others as bad as I was treated (by staff not inmates) because if I were to die today I will have pleased my Lord.

I fully understand how  my life has been blessed "because" I worked with the bad of the bad and experienced the worse of the worse in people.  

What would I say on judgment day, when asked "how did you treat your fellow man today?"

I am going to purchase this book and carry it with me because I still plan to work inside prisons once I receive my degree.

God bless

October 31, 2007, 9:37 am CDT

Positive Attitude Creates Positive Results

I had this show on my DVR list for a couple days and then watched it...I was going to erase it cause the info didn't seem to thrilling to me....but I am so glad I did watch it.  I also did purchase the book and should be receiving via mail in the next day or so. 

My best friend just passed away, she was 26 yrs. old, died from complications associated with leukemia and it is terrible how so many people live there life day to day complaining about the little things...and as I watched my best friend struggle to just get to be in her sister's wedding and try so hard just acquire the little things that we all take for granted, it made me realize that nothing is more important than surrounding yourself with things that make you happy today because tomorrow is not guaranteed to anyone.  And, being there for the people you love is much more rewarding than most anything I could think of...it gives me great solace in knowing that I was there holding her hand when she took her last breath and I wouldn't have traded that moment for anything else in the world. 

So live life to the fullest and love strongly...keep those you love close to your heart cause you never know when they could be taken away.

First | Prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last