Message Boards

Topic : 10/23 Tuesdays with Morrie

Number of Replies: 97
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 19, 2007, 01:45:04 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

If you knew you were going to die tomorrow, could you say you lived your life to the absolute fullest, or would you have regrets? This year marks the 10th anniversary of the best-selling memoir of all time, Tuesdays with Morrie, and the author, Mitch Albom, remembers his former teacher and mentor’s simple but important messages that have touched so many. Joined by Morrie Schwartz’s loved ones, Mitch shares his friend’s wisdom and life lessons as they pertain to Dr. Phil’s guests. When Bobby and Kelly appeared on the show previously, they were on the verge of divorce because she was tired of being the primary breadwinner and had lost confidence in her husband. Now, is it possible for Kelly to find forgiveness? Then, Tarah wants her husband to reprioritize his life and start putting his family first. She says he chooses dirt biking, hanging with his pals and lounging on the couch over important family events. Josh admits he can be selfish, but says if Tarah had a job, she’d know how he felt when he got home. Plus, guests reflect on the meaning of Morrie’s life lessons and share how they were inspired to change their lives.  Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 22, 2007, 9:20 am CDT

Loved the book

I read "Tuesdays with Morrie" several months ago and enjoyed it immensely.  The message really hit home with me.  I have faced loss many times in my 62 years.  The loss of my soulmate at age 32, death of two more husbands through an accident and then illness. Finally, the loss of both of my parents, especially that of my Mom just last year.  I learned very early to live life as if it was your last day and to embrace both good and not so good events.  They are all learning experiences.  I recently lost my job and I was so devastated that I began to get depressed.  But, again I had to reflect on the positives and before long I landed an even more exciting and lucrative one.  I've always heard the very much overused sayngs," G-d only gives you what you can handle" and "When one door opens, another one opens".  Most of that advice is true as long as you work on embracing life and looking at the glass as half full.  I am really looking forward to seeing the show.

Sharon

October 22, 2007, 12:42 pm CDT

:D

im sooo happy that mitch albom is going to be on dr phil tomorrow!

he is an amazing author and one of my favorites.
i have read 2 of his 3 books and im just sooooo excited to see tomorrow's episode!

October 22, 2007, 8:42 pm CDT

Mitch Albom's inspirational bookS

Dear Dr. Phil,

I am extremely excited that you would have Mitch Albom as a guest. So far I read 3 books from him: the 5 people you meet in heaven, which was a pure simple but spiritual delight - Tuesdays with Morrie, which took me a long time to read as it was both a painful and joyful real story that forces you to rethink, amongst others things, how you take people for granted and/or get entangled in your own self - and the last one: for one more day, is actually current reality to me since last June.

The 5 people you meet in heaven, actually made me dream and rethink about who I was and how my own existence is part of a whole. It made me rethink my accountability in events/people I ran across and how in sometimes a very simple insignificant way to me, I actually impact their lives and destiny. I was already very sensitive to people but that book reinforced my sense of humility. As part of a whole, I am nothing without people and in a way they are not whole without me. I am also a firm believer of the time and space continuum and I am very aware that my presence at a particular time and a specific place can change  for the better or the worst a situation and someone's life.

Tuesdays with Morrie, was really tough for me to read. Maybe because I could feel Mitch's guilt as I personnaly have friends abroad that I truly care about but have not seen in years because I am simply too busy to make hands meet here. But it also reinforce my positive side, which is how to accept your own painful death and how to cope with your loss. To me, you never lose totally someone as long as you keep their whole spirit alive. But we get so wrapped out into our ownselves and lives that we loose touch with the people we loved and lost, the people who gave us a chance "for free" to be who we are now today. We take their actions and love for granted and never think twice. This book is another lesson, out of real life events. Because we are so much in "reality something", it cannot not touch our souls as humans.

They had the play out in Baltimore 2 years ago and no matter what I was going until I torn out my ACL and destroy my meninscus and ended up not going. I have not forgiven myself to this day (just kidding) to get such a stupid knee injury that I could not attend the play....

For one more day, I personnaly think takes it a step further. "It is close to home"
I bought the book at the airport on my way to France after I had found out that my Dad was in the hospital and I could feel from my Mom's tone of voice that something was wrong. I was flying standby and praying to God: for one more day! I could not read it in the plane because I was too tensed but I was holding it in my thoughts and even though I did not run through, I just felt its power. My flights back home took me 24 hours due to delays. I did not inform any member of my family that I was on my way. I just took a leave of absence without pay for one more day with my Dad. I ended up staying 2 weeks until my Dad was safe. He stayed in the hospital 3 months. My Dad was in a pretty bad conditions between strokes and kidney failure. I became the spoke person for the family because my lovely Mom and my sisters were overwhelmed. Every second of the day I would talk to my Dad in my head feeling that power from for one more day. Interestingly enough, when my family explained what happened to my Dad, he remembered only 2 things: he heard my Mom's voice but could not see her in his daze but he saw me and heard me.
If it is what it took to bring back my Dad to life when he was on his down, then I have to thank Mitch for his powerful title.

I am finally reading the book - started mid October - because now I am psychologically ready for it.
I have been crying quite a bit, but it's OK because this is really the only time I have allowed myself to do so  and I know I need to let go the pain and the fear of loosing someone I love.

This is why I say this new book takes us a step further. It hits home. How ready are we?

Mitch Albom has a way -it seems- to take us to a deeper level every time he writes a book. You can't beat that.

Yet, funny, I have been so intrigued about how a sports reporter could be so deep. Well I guess, appearances do not necesarily reflect who you truly are. Another lesson.

Thank You for your attention

October 22, 2007, 9:13 pm CDT

10/23 Tuesdays with Morrie

Quote From: preslois

ON NOVEMBER 24, 2004, MY SON, BRYCE, KILLED HIMSELF.  I WAS SO DEVASTATED THAT I THOUGHT LIFE COULD NOT POSSIBLY GO ON.  THEN I STARTED READING MITCH ALBOM'S BOOKS.  I HAVE READ THE FIVE PEOPLE YOU MEET IN HEAVEN, TUESDAYS WITH MORRIE, AND FOR ONE MORE DAY.  THESE BOOKS HAVE DONE SO MUCH TO HELP ME HEAL FROM THIS UNIMAGINABLE GRIEF.  IN THE BOOK THE FIVE PEOPLE YOU MEET IN HEAVEN, I LEARNED ABOUT FORGIVENESS, SELF FORGIVENESS.  I OFTEN WONDERED WHO MY SON'S FIVE PEOPLE COULD BE.  BUT. MORE IMPORTANT, I REALIZED THAT BRYCE WAS AT A PLACE WHERE HE COULD FINALLY FORGIVE HIMSELF FOR ALL HIS PERCEIVED SHORTCOMINGS.

I WAS A BIT RELUCTANT TO READ TUESDAYS WITH MORRIE.  I KNEW IT WAS ABOUT NO REGRETS BECAUSE MORRIES CEEBRATED HIS LIFE EVERY DAY.  AFTER BRYCE DIED, I HAD SO MANY REGRETS.  MOST OF THEM HAD TO DO WITH THE THINGS I FELT THAT I HAD LEFT UNDONE WITH BRYCE.  TUESDAYS WITH MORRIE HELPED ME UNDERSTAND THAT IT IS NEVER TOO LATE.  I HAVE TWO OTHER CHILDREN, HELEN AND RYAN, WHO I KNEW THAT I HAD THE CHANCE TO DO THE THINGS FOR AND WITH THAT I FELT I HAD DROPPED THE BALL WHEN IT CAME TO BRYCE.  I LEARNED THE BEST WAY TO HONOR MY SON WAS TO LIVE LIFE FULLY AND WITH AS MUCH HAPPINESS AS I CAN MUSTER UP.

FOR ONE MORE DAY BECAME THE MOST DIFFICULT TO READ.  ONCE I GOT INTO IT, I WAS NOT SURE I WANTED TO FINISH.  IT NEVER OCCURRED TO ME THAT IT ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT BOOKS THAT I COULD READ AT THIS TIME.  IT TAUGHT ME TO GIVE PAUSE AND TRULY TAKE A LOOK AT WHO MIGHT THINK I AM AN IMPORTANT PERSON IN THEIR LIVES.  I NEVER DREAMED HOW MANY PEOPLE IT WOULD HONESTLY HURT IF I WERE TO DO AS MY SON DID.  I MUST ADMIT THAT I WAS AMAZED AT THE TURN OUT FOR HIS VISITATION AND FUNERAL FLOORED ME.  I COULD NOT BELIEVE HOW MANY PEOPLE THAT HE TOUCHED IN JUST 27 SHORT YEARS!  EVEN SO, IT DID NOT MAKE ME TAKE A HARD LOOK ABOUT THOSE AROUND ME.  WE DON'T ALWAYS THINK ABOUT HOW WE AFFECT OTHERS, NOT JUST THE CLOSE ONES BUT HOW IT TRICKLES DOWN.

MITCH ALBOM, PLEASE KEEP ON WRITING ABOUT LIFE AND DEATH.  THEY ARE BOTH SO BEAUTIFUL AND PAINFUL AT THE SAME TIME.  IT IS APPARENT THAT YOU UNDERSTAND THIS TO A GREAT EXTENT.

I share your pain and your pathway with Mitch Albom's books

There is nothing worse in the world than to loose a child. But you have 2 more and they need your undivided love and attention. For whatever  reason, Bryce decided to take his life. Even though it will never soothe your pain, it was his choice. And to get to that level, it takes a lot of courage. He maybe physically lost to you but as you said he lives in you for ever. To deal though with physical absence is hard: you can't see, you  can't smell and we are not used to that, etc.. but....

The wonderful gift that Micth Albom gives us as an author is how every time he goes a step further and deeper into our souls in a very simple way. He makes us feel, smell and almost touch.

His path to our growth is painful and not easy but he makes us move forward and cope with reality of life.
He forces us to dig into ourselves to reassess how we impact and/or react to others around us.

He wakes us up, so to speak, and make us realize that we are not the "center of the world, "too busy.., etc"

Mitch Albom is a great teacher of souls and human spirit. Not once he is negative and he shares his own lesson. I commend him for his courage to share with others what he personnaly learned.

For one more day, has been extremely hard for me too. I just posted a long message about my own dealings with close to home events and my experience with Mitch Albom's books - same way as yours

Best of Love

October 22, 2007, 10:49 pm CDT

I'm Sooo Excited!!!

I love Mitch Albom's books!!  I recently read "One More Day" and I bought 3 more copies for my mom, sis and sister-in-law.  After reading it I had to take my mom to the airport.  When I got there, expecting her to be ready, I realized there was so much left to do.  She had not brought her dog to the "dog camp," or finished packing and she had just realized she didn't have a european electric converter.  Having just finished "One More Day" I decided that this would be the day that we would spend together as if it were our last.  Instead of getting upset at her poor planning- I drove the dog to the "camp," picked up a converter at Radio Shack and helped her pack.  Then I tucked a copy of the book in her carry on, gave her a big hug at the airport, and sent her off to Ireland!! 

October 23, 2007, 7:03 am CDT

10/23 Tuesdays with Morrie

Quote From: zardys

Hello, my name is Sandra Bozard and I am 57 years old. 

I feel that my whole life is a regret.  I have a family that hates me with passion.  My father died early in my life and it just got worse.  My brother and sister was much older me.........I was a mistake.  My mother often told me that it was thought when she had surgery it was an appendicitis......but she was pregnant with me.

Even to this day after my sister, mother and father are gone.............my nephews and nieces hate me.  I live with this everyday and it hurts so much.  I have a wonderful husband of 32 years and he has helped me through so many horrible things.  I am blessed to have him.  All I wanted was to my family to be happy and to get a long.

I love you. For making a lasting marriage with the wonderful man that God sent to you so that you would know that there is good in the world. Lots of people with so called "normal" childhoods don't have marriages that last for 32 years. Don't dwell on what your nieces and nephew think about you. They are the ones who will regret the feelings they have let fester in their hearts. You can make your own happiness. Concentrate on the life you have with your wonderful husband. And let the rest of your family see that what they think does not matter a hill of beans to you. Good luck to you and God bless you every day.

October 23, 2007, 7:40 am CDT

She doesn't love him!

Clearly this babe is no longer in love with him and just can't admit it.  She's racked with guilt over not loving him any more.

Sometimes, in a relationship, there's just too much water under the bridge and you just CAN"T go back to those old feelings.  I don't think Dr. Phil should be sitting there encouraging this woman to stay in a loveless relationship.  Is that fair? 

I know what it feels like to be ignored by your partner for so longer, that you don't even want his touch, time, or attention anymore.  When you prefer that he sleeps in another room.  To live like roommates.

I read Mitch's book several years ago and I believe that our relationships are the most valuable things in life.  However,  is it worth it when everyday you wake up asking - - can I go another day without being touched?  My whole life without a kiss...without holding hands?  I know I can't.

October 23, 2007, 8:14 am CDT

Please help in finding a cure for ALS

My mom, Jeri Garrison, passed away from this horrid disease, ALS, on August 18, 2207.  My biggest fear now is that my daughter, sister, Aunt or even myself could be diagnosed next. The lesson in the Dr. Phil story is important to live your life to the fullest. But as a person who has watched someone suffer from ALS, I beg you to learn about this incurable disease and if in the position to do so help in the fight to find a cure. As I said before, you or I might be next. Please visit alsohio.org to find out how you can help.

October 23, 2007, 8:52 am CDT

God is with you.

Quote From: zardys

Hello, my name is Sandra Bozard and I am 57 years old. 

I feel that my whole life is a regret.  I have a family that hates me with passion.  My father died early in my life and it just got worse.  My brother and sister was much older me.........I was a mistake.  My mother often told me that it was thought when she had surgery it was an appendicitis......but she was pregnant with me.

Even to this day after my sister, mother and father are gone.............my nephews and nieces hate me.  I live with this everyday and it hurts so much.  I have a wonderful husband of 32 years and he has helped me through so many horrible things.  I am blessed to have him.  All I wanted was to my family to be happy and to get a long.

God spoke to my heart and placed the desire to send a message to you.  Through your message I felt the pain you must be going through.  I hope my message helps you. 

First of all, you were not a mistake so do not convince yourself that you are.  God created you for a purpose regardless of what anyone else may think.  You still can fulfill God's purpose in your life.  I understand the hurt you must feel and the isolation you must experience at this time.  Be thankful that you do have a wonderful husband who is there to support and love you.  I am sure (based on what you wrote) he will do anything to help you through this. 

Remember also you have a God who truly loves you and is there for you anytime you need Him.  In any trials you may face whether they are past trials or future trials refer to Psalm Chapter 121 verses 1-8 which states:  "I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there?  My help comes from the Lord, who made the heavens and the earth!  He will not let you stumble and fall; the one who watches over you will not sleep.  Indeed, he who watches over Israel never tires and never sleeps.  The Lord himself watches over you!  The Lord stands beside you as your protective shade.  The sun will not hurt you by day, nor the moon by night.  The Lord keeps you from all evil and preserves your life.  The Lord keeps watch over you as you come and go, both now and forever." 

Regardless of trials in your past or in your future the Lord will always be by your side helping you through the 'storm'.  Put your strength and trust in Him and He will help you through it all.  The Lord has helped me through many trials in my life and I know He will help you.  I pray you will come out of this 'storm' and become the person God wants you to be. 

Faith in Christ Always!

October 23, 2007, 11:49 am CDT

ALS Show

This show has not aired yet today in my time zone, but i am going to tape and watch it as i do every single day......However this show is VERY near my heart my mother Sara Sargent from Fayetteville, NC passed away October 16th 2003 from respritory complication due to the ALS.  Her journey and ours ans a family unit was long and hard but in the end i am proud of who she was and how she fought and god love my father for taking care of her for the last years of her life.  To anyone and everyone who is living with ALS in one way or another I hope for you and your loved ones the best of wishes.

With the love of a big heart,

Emily Trujillo

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last