Message Boards

Topic : 10/23 Tuesdays with Morrie

Number of Replies: 97
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 19, 2007, 01:45:04 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

If you knew you were going to die tomorrow, could you say you lived your life to the absolute fullest, or would you have regrets? This year marks the 10th anniversary of the best-selling memoir of all time, Tuesdays with Morrie, and the author, Mitch Albom, remembers his former teacher and mentor’s simple but important messages that have touched so many. Joined by Morrie Schwartz’s loved ones, Mitch shares his friend’s wisdom and life lessons as they pertain to Dr. Phil’s guests. When Bobby and Kelly appeared on the show previously, they were on the verge of divorce because she was tired of being the primary breadwinner and had lost confidence in her husband. Now, is it possible for Kelly to find forgiveness? Then, Tarah wants her husband to reprioritize his life and start putting his family first. She says he chooses dirt biking, hanging with his pals and lounging on the couch over important family events. Josh admits he can be selfish, but says if Tarah had a job, she’d know how he felt when he got home. Plus, guests reflect on the meaning of Morrie’s life lessons and share how they were inspired to change their lives.  Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 23, 2007, 2:04 pm CDT

Tuesdays with Morrie helped me in life.

I read Tuesdays with Morrie, while I waited for my Mom to pass away in 2005 with Cancer.  My

Dad died 7 months later.  While reading this book, my Mom was in a coma.  But I still went to

her bedside and spoke with her and told her all the things I wanted to say.  I know there were things

that I forgot.  I have always been a very friendly people person.  I speak to everyone even a lot of

my friends tell me to be quiet at times.  I guess since my Mom's death I have learned to love deeper

but I have not learned to treat myself well.  I have been married for 14 years to a wonderful Man.

Hard working.  Spends a lot of time in the garage.  So are interests vary.  At 51 I left my job at

my husbands request, to find something better.  I really made a decision in my life to find something

that I would love doing.  I knew what it was, Taking care of pets and becoming a professional pet

trainer.  I am wonderful with dogs and even train some of my friends pets for free.  I researched

schools and found a wonderful college in North Ridge, California.  I talk with them on a weekly

basis because I need the money (low considering what school tuitions are today.)  Anyway after

talking with her she told me that they had a payment plan of approximately 30 dollars per month.

Although my credit score is not high enough, she said my husband could cosign for me.  I was

so excited and called him and he told me that no way would he cosign for me.  I was angry for a

while, and I don't hold grudges, so of course I said that's ok, Ill show him, and I let it go.  Although

there is a little corner of my heart that my husband does not have faith in me.  And it still hurts.

I guess what I am trying to say is I believe Morrie wanted people to follow there dreams, but dreams

are not as important as the people in our lifes.  It just seems I cant' totally let go.  I know this is

what I am going to do.  I will probably find some 9-5 factory job and go back and save th 2745.00

that I need.   I want for once to follow a dream.  It seems like they always fall through.  I don't

want to hurt my husband, but there are a lot of dogs and other animals I know I can help out there.

And at 51 I want to continue learning,  just like Mitch.  I don't want to work to much.  And I want

to make my job part of my life in all areas.  Does this make sense.  I feel a little selfish after watching

the show.  I was very touched by your guests and the ones affected by ALS.  I watch you everyday

and I see just how much you help people.  I want to do the same with dogs, and other animals.

Am I being selfish?

October 23, 2007, 2:12 pm CDT

we can learn how to live

i really liked today's topic. as someone who has taken advice from elderly people on how to live, they know what there talking about. Mr. Albom had Morrie to learn from and I learned from a gentleman named Edgar. We all cross paths for a reason, and that is to learn from each other. Everyone should take the time to smell the roses because life can go so quick. The biggest thing that I was taught no matter what love your spouse or companion unconditionally, and don't give up on them if it doesn't warrant it. There are some situations that you just can't do that because they are severe. The reason i talk about  the love part, is because even though Edgar's wife had been deceased for 5 years he loved her like it was fresh and new. she was alive and that touched me so very much. I looked at my own husband in a different way and realize you can love someone that way. We all have something to learn no matter what age and i think we better start learning.

October 23, 2007, 2:34 pm CDT

Life is short and unpredictable

Quote From: famlefamle

doesn't matter at the end of your life are the people who have money.  when my mom passed away i knew that no amount of money ould kep er alive. even ifi were donald trump my mom would die. i stared getting sick in 2001. evey day i ray for $12 million dollarsbefore i die. $50million to each of my children, the rest to me. i want live like like the rich even for a day i want my childen and their children to live a financial life second to none. i live alone, i live alone in a subsidized apt. on diability. i have read tuesdays wth morrie and thought it a wonerfl book. i have had to learn to accept lie as well as death. it isdefinitely a process. i won't o into it. however, i just wanted to say that money cannot buy life when it is your time to go. i, however,would die awhole lot happier if i could give my children 50 million dollars apiece before i leave this planet. morri had real good insight and seemed like a wonderful man.   mitch did an excellent job writng the book.  i just disagree with some of his thoughts.

Hello Dr Phil,

I must tell you this show came at the right point today. I was talking to a dear friend earlier, not sure why I felt like I should reach out to her today but for whatever reason I did. She was very down and feeling lonely and said to me" I wish I had someone that would just wrap their arms around me and give me a hug or tell me Gosh you look pretty today".

I took notes of the show today and felt that I needed to write down important words I heard today and send them to her along with a copy of the Book so that she knew that her life is a gift from God and to make the best of every precious day she is here...and she is here along with all of us for a reason.

People might think...Oh I was a mistake but NO one is a mistake from God...He gave us all life and our responsibility is to make the most of everyday because we have no guarantee of tomorrow.

My Brother suddenly passed away in July of 2006 after going in for a "simple surgery" so the Doctor said and never made it out of that hospital. I felt like I died along with him that day and everyday since I am searching in my heart for the answers.  I was like alot of those people today talking about "putting work" ahead of everything else and guess what...didn't matter in the end.

I knew my Brother had checked into the hospital that night before on July 25th and instead of calling him and saying I will be thinking of you and I Love you or having a simple conversation I was too involved in the work project I felt I had to do that night....Funny thing is that next day I was thinking at any time my Mother would be calling to tell me everything went ok and he was fine, something told me it wasn't fine and when I returned back to my office that afternoon I got that call we all dread...I knew it I knew I had lost my only Brother at age of 48yrs.  This has forever changed me and I will never be the same.  What I learned about me this past year was Don't take life for granted because NO one can predict what today will bring and tomorrow is a Precious Gift.

Since then, I lost my job after 25 yrs afterall...why? No reason or No reason was given. This also changed me because this was the very reason why I didn't make that call or why I wasn't home for all those important events in my Daughters life and husband. This past 6 weeks has been exactly what God was telling me. STOP! and smell the roses because you are running out of time. Stop traveling and working 70 hrs a week...Stop missing out on your life because the JOB is just a Job and guess what ...WE are all replacable....ALL of us! 

Money is not everything...Its only a part of living but its not the Top of the pile. Be responsible with your choices in life and don't make it so stressful that Money becomes so important.

My life is a gift...I want to share my heart with others...There are alot of lonely people in this big beautiful world, make a difference and share yourself with others. Life is leaving a legacy..Ask yourself what will you leave behind.

Thank you

Sherri

October 23, 2007, 2:44 pm CDT

10/23 Tuesdays with Morrie

Quote From: iamvip

Clearly this babe is no longer in love with him and just can't admit it.  She's racked with guilt over not loving him any more.

Sometimes, in a relationship, there's just too much water under the bridge and you just CAN"T go back to those old feelings.  I don't think Dr. Phil should be sitting there encouraging this woman to stay in a loveless relationship.  Is that fair? 

I know what it feels like to be ignored by your partner for so longer, that you don't even want his touch, time, or attention anymore.  When you prefer that he sleeps in another room.  To live like roommates.

I read Mitch's book several years ago and I believe that our relationships are the most valuable things in life.  However,  is it worth it when everyday you wake up asking - - can I go another day without being touched?  My whole life without a kiss...without holding hands?  I know I can't.

If you're talking about Bobby and Kelly, I wonder if she was ever in love with him. Or, rather, in love with the lavish lifestyle she expected him to provide. I found her attitude, on today's follow-up, just as sickening as on the orginal show.
 She married down? What a rotten, demeaning thing to say. I can't believe Dr Phil let her get by with it. I guess, if a wife says it about her husband, it's okay. But, if a husband said that about his wife, Dr Phil would be all over him like white on rice.
It seems that Bobby has withdrawn from Kelly. Or, at least that's what she said, Taken by Dr Phil at face value. But, has Kelly never withdrawn from Bobby? I suspect she has. Withheld sex from him, even. Probably because he wouldn't take  some job she picked out for him. Would she be willing to take that same job? If she wouldn't, how can she expect him to?
And, the $160,000 debt? How much did he wrack up? And, how much did she? He  ought to pay off his part of the debt. And, she ought to pay off hers. No matter whose is bigger. And, I suspect its hers. Since she's the one resenting him because his job won't support her desired lifestyle.
Come, on, Dr Phil! Let's be objective here! Just because she's a woman, doesn't mean Kelly's completely without fault.

October 23, 2007, 2:52 pm CDT

Maybe Josh could cut back, even waaay back, on those leisure time activities that keep him and Tarah apart so much. I don't think that's too much to ask. Has he been treating marriage like an extension of his single life. It seems that way. But, most men seem to do that. It's one of the things that are negotiated by a newly married couple. As for cutting back on his job, though? He might not be able to do that unless Tarah gets a job, too. Unless she's willing to cut back on their lifestyle. Something else that needs negotiation.

October 23, 2007, 2:58 pm CDT

ALS-Thanks Dr Phil

I am just now starting Tuesday with Morrie and didnt realize before that he was dying of ALS. I lost my beloved Aunt Sandy to ALS May 16,2007. She had a short but painful battle with the disease. If I can tell anyone anything its make time for others. I went to see her 6 weeks before she died with my 2 youngest children. She loved kids and it was one of the highlights for her to see the kids. Before ALS she was a writer, painter, and worked for over 30 yrs for the State of Illinois in the Fire Marshal's office. My uncle is now working for a cure for ALS with her poetry. Please the researchers are getting close to a cure; lets help prevent any other families from dealing with this disease.

October 23, 2007, 3:13 pm CDT

Quote From: cartilagecrown

This book is not all that people say it is. Yeah, death is around, and it sucks when it happens.

He just spent time around an old guy.  Old people talk about death a lot because for them, it's most likely going to happen to them sooner.  Just because a guy was around to hear the old guy talking about death doesn't mean it's more significant.

It reminds us to enjoy life- a simple message that comes around often.

Having ALS myself at 45 I can attest to the fact that this disease is a 'learning lesson'  for those living with it and those who love us.  This disease slowly takes away our independence and if we let it ; our dignity. I have been wheelchairbound for 7 years now, unable to do even the smallest of tasks-brush my teeth, or hair or even feed myself. I chose to use this as a learning experience not only for myself but for my children and others I come in contact with. 

October 23, 2007, 3:14 pm CDT

ALS

Unfornately, I missed the show today exceptr for last 10 minutes.  I was not happy.  But I would like to say that I have read  "Tuesdays will Morrie" and I have watched the movie.  Both with tears.  I know what ALS does to the person diagnosed as well as the people they love.  My mom past away from ALS at the age of 38  in 1978.  I was 12 years old.  I have also lost 2 sisters to ALS.  One was 34 years of age when she passed away in 1998 and the other sister was 40 years of age when she lost her fight to ALS in 2001.  In my eyes ALS is a "death sentence"  It is a horrible horrible disease. 

The woman toward the end of the show, said she wanted to inspire people.  She is 100 percent an inspiration just by being her.  She is fighting a tough battle.  Living her life as full as she can,  what more does she need to do?!  I say nothing.  I don't know this lady nor have i ever met her, but in my book, she is doing all she needs to be doing and I AM PROUD of her.   

October 23, 2007, 3:26 pm CDT

My sympathies

Quote From: wdthomas

I was very touched by the show today.  My mom just recently passed away from ALS in May (2007).  It progressed very fast and was the hardest thing I have ever had to deal with.  My mom tried to prepare all of us for her death.  She seemed to have been ready from day one because she knew what would happen.  I recently bought Tuesdays With Morrie but have not had a chance to read and I am also almost afraid to read it because I do not want to get upset by it.  After seeing the show today it makes me want to read it now.  I was glad to see a TV show that was discussing ALS because I do not hear about hardly anywhere.  Before my mom was diagnosed I knew nothing about the disease.  I hate that I had to learn about it like this.

Whitney Thomas

I wish to extend my condolences on the passing of your mother. I pray that you can and will use your experience to help others understand this disease and it's progression better. I honestly believe that we should use our experiences to help others who might go through the same.

October 23, 2007, 3:27 pm CDT

I just want to add  tell your love ones how much you love them and what they mean to you.  I was never  one to express my feelings in words or hugs.  I learned a hard lesson, i finally made myself tell my sister Wendy 1 day before we disconnected the life support, and she lost her hard battle to ALS, in1998.  I began to tell my dad how I loved him and gave him a hug and kiss every time I saw him.  I started that way to late too, my dad passed away Oct. 2007.    Make time for your family. One day it will be to late.  I know I made that mistake to many times. I now tell my surviving sisters and bother and my son I love them every time I see them and hugs are sooo easy to give.   THANK YOU Dr. Phil for the show  "Tuesdays with Morrie"   I wish more people could get information on this "death sentence" disease.  I feel that there is not enough public awareness on it.  I think it should get as much attention as aids or cancer does.   

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last