Message Boards

Topic : 10/23 Tuesdays with Morrie

Number of Replies: 97
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 19, 2007, 01:45:04 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

If you knew you were going to die tomorrow, could you say you lived your life to the absolute fullest, or would you have regrets? This year marks the 10th anniversary of the best-selling memoir of all time, Tuesdays with Morrie, and the author, Mitch Albom, remembers his former teacher and mentor’s simple but important messages that have touched so many. Joined by Morrie Schwartz’s loved ones, Mitch shares his friend’s wisdom and life lessons as they pertain to Dr. Phil’s guests. When Bobby and Kelly appeared on the show previously, they were on the verge of divorce because she was tired of being the primary breadwinner and had lost confidence in her husband. Now, is it possible for Kelly to find forgiveness? Then, Tarah wants her husband to reprioritize his life and start putting his family first. She says he chooses dirt biking, hanging with his pals and lounging on the couch over important family events. Josh admits he can be selfish, but says if Tarah had a job, she’d know how he felt when he got home. Plus, guests reflect on the meaning of Morrie’s life lessons and share how they were inspired to change their lives.  Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 23, 2007, 3:33 pm CDT

Help us connect the dots

As an old guy with ALS, I have a special connection with the message of Morrie, Augie and Denice.  ALS is relatively unknown. I know i didn't know anything about it before my diagnosis in 2004 when I was told I had 3 to 5 years to live.  I decided then to try to follow the message that Mitch gave us in his heartwarming story of Morrie, to live, to make an impact.  I have become an avid advocate on ALS and in the process found that over 60 years from when Lou Gehrig died of and gave his name to this disease, that not much new was known and only medicine had been approved and that is estimated to extend life by two to three months.  I also found that the ALS Association had been promoting a national registry of ALS patients in order to determine who, where, when and why someone gets ALS.  The good news is that the House of Representatives just passed legislation to establish such a registry and to finally start collecting the dots now that someone is bothering to collect the dots.  Augie has brought his super skills and connections to make sense on a coordinated and aggressive research program.  I may even find some breakthroughs before this disease fully paralyzes me.  Thanks Dr. Phil for raising the curtain on this orphan disease and some of the inspiring people that are helping to do this.

October 23, 2007, 3:34 pm CDT

Tuesdays With Morrie

This was a very moving program.  It caused me to do a lot of thinking.
I've had cancer three times...all totally different cancers.  Two years ago my husband died of cancer, and just 3 weeks later, I was diagnosed with my 3rd cancer.  I had 6 surgeries, chemo, and radiation.
It was so difficult to go through that all alone right after the death of my husband.
Two months ago I received a call from one of my oncologists.  He said I had to have surgery right away.
August 23rd a large tumor was removed. It turned out to be a recurrence of my 2nd cancer...the one I had 20 years ago.  I was informed that it is not curable.  It will be back.
I live alone way out in the country on a dirt road.  I can't even see any of my neighbors. 
After today's program, I want to read "Tuesdays With Morrie" and intend to purchase it as soon as I can afford it.
It was a wonderful, uplifting program.  I'm so glad I watched.

October 23, 2007, 3:39 pm CDT

10/23 Tuesdays with Morrie

Quote From: mlambert01

I watched the movie Tuesday's with Morrie in a death and dying psychology class and there was not a dry eye in the place when the movie was over. I learn something new everytime I watch the movie and have read the book twice. I love the book and the movie. Morrie had life down to an art, and he knew not to miss a day. What a blessing his life was, and what a blessing Mitch Albom's life is as he continues to tell the wonderful life story of Morrie. God Bless you as you spread the Morrie message...

Marsha

I want to comment on the couple Josh and Tara.   If Josh needs to read the book,  then Tara needs it more!!!   The whole story about this couple did not come out.   Any woman that keeps her child from her husbands parents need to change some  priorities  too!    The whole DR. Phil thing is all about Tara being Tara

October 23, 2007, 3:48 pm CDT

Denise is already inspiring

Dear Denise,

I just finished watching the Dr. Phil show on the book 'Tuesdays with

Morrie'. I have not read it, but I assure I will.

My motivation to write is to tell you how you have inspired me. I watched

your 'wish list' come true for you. I am so happy that you were able to see

such awesome sights on God's green earth. I watched the tiny clip of you in

Antartica with the penguins. HOW COOL WAS THAT????? You were right there

in their habitat face to face with Mother Nature. That prompted me to think

about the 'things I want to do before I die'.

Let me fill you in. I'm a healthy 45 year old woman with a 9 year old and 4

year old. I am happily married. I just started my second career as a

pre-school teacher (first one was telecommunications engineer) and I love

it. Life is good.

So anyways, I think about this list that I've already started. I want to go

to where my ancestors come from....Italy and Ireland. I want to have an up

close encounter with humpback whales. I want to swim with dolphins. I want

to hear corn grow (and from what they tell me in Iowa, you can). I want to

see a shuttle launch into outer space. I want to see little sea turtles

scramble to the shore in the full moon (and I understand that I can do that

less than 300 miles from where I live).

You have opened my eyes and given me the desire to do these things without a

diagnosis. Why? Why on earth would I wait to do these things after the

diagnosis, before I die? Why would I wait for a diagnosis? Why wouldn't I

do these things while I am living, before I die? That is what you inspired

me to think.

THANK YOU. Thank you for your inspiration. If you tell me where, I'll send

you pictures of the whales, dolphins, shuttle launch, sea turtles, Italy,

and Ireland. You do not have to ask how you can inspire people. You

already have.

THANK YOU,

Kathi

October 23, 2007, 3:53 pm CDT

Thank you

Quote From: casmist

I feel so sorry for this guest!! 

I work as an Ultrasound technologist and I see first hand the heartbreak and pain these poor women endure after a miscarriage.   This is a loss of life!!!   What kind of a person is her husband??

Is he so ignorant not to realize that this loss was a little part of him.

Your comment is such common sense that it should strike us all.

It is is not about ignorance, it is about selfishness. The man needs to grow big time

October 23, 2007, 4:01 pm CDT

Tuesday's

I originally read Tuesday's With Morrie when it first came out ten years ago.  I honestly could not get enough of the book and bought several copies for friends and coworkers as I just couldn't part with my own copy. 

If you have not read the book run to the library and grab a copy.  I'm going to dig out my copy and have my husband and I read it together. 

Right now it seems like the perfect time to share that message with him. 

October 23, 2007, 4:06 pm CDT

Your teacher's best pick

Quote From: brea1789

I am a 9th grader and I am reading Tuisdays with Morrie in english right now. I saw that Mitch Albom was going to be on the show today and was excited to watch it. I think everyone should read this bood and anyone who has has been moved or touched by it. I thought this was a great book that my english teacher picked for the class to read.

Sweetie,

Mitch Albom is possibly not the greatest writer on the planet. But he has a philosophical/spiritual approach to our everyday life. A reality approach. So he speaks to us all - regardless of our situations.

The great news with his writings is that he makes us progress to closer to home. Tuesdays with Morrie is a huge lesson about life. His next book: for one more day - takes it a step further, much, much closer to home. And believe me, it hurts as much as it is a joy. It forces you to rethink.

That guy should have been a "preacher" instead of being a sport journalist!

But I guess, it does not matter what line of work your pursue as long as you are true to yourself and the people around you

Great choice from your teacher!

October 23, 2007, 4:27 pm CDT

Living is the challenge, not death

Quote From: wolflady2804

I just want to add  tell your love ones how much you love them and what they mean to you.  I was never  one to express my feelings in words or hugs.  I learned a hard lesson, i finally made myself tell my sister Wendy 1 day before we disconnected the life support, and she lost her hard battle to ALS, in1998.  I began to tell my dad how I loved him and gave him a hug and kiss every time I saw him.  I started that way to late too, my dad passed away Oct. 2007.    Make time for your family. One day it will be to late.  I know I made that mistake to many times. I now tell my surviving sisters and bother and my son I love them every time I see them and hugs are sooo easy to give.   THANK YOU Dr. Phil for the show  "Tuesdays with Morrie"   I wish more people could get information on this "death sentence" disease.  I feel that there is not enough public awareness on it.  I think it should get as much attention as aids or cancer does.   

Kudos to you.  It is never to late to figure out the key to living.  Dr. Phil is a wonderful inspiration and his  guests provide the link to reality in a hurting world.  My sister died suddenly this year in a terrible car accident.  One week before her death we had laughed and planned a get-together, which is on hold for now.  Soon enough God will call me home to join her and we will share in spirit.  How grateful I am that our call ended with, "I love you,sis"   Mom is not so much at peace;  her vist withmy sister, just before the sudden death was left with bad feelings, an argument over a minor matter.  She cannot go to the gravesight without guilt and tears.  I keep my sister in my heart, at peace and with fond, loving memories.  Thank you for reminding us all what is the REAL DEAL in life. 

October 23, 2007, 4:34 pm CDT

Morey & ALS & my big brother

I happened to catch your show today.  It was very touching.  You see my big brother has ALS.  He is dying.  He is young, only 50yrs old.  ALS isa blessing but yet a nightmare.  My brother and I were estranged for over 15yrs.  A year ago this month he called me to say he loves me, misses me and appologized for everything I didn't realize he had any idea how I felt that I felt he hurt me.  He sincerly appologized during that call.  I was mad as hell, I thought he was drunk, then he told me he had ALS.  I listened to what he had to say.  He wasn't drunk it was the ALS.  By hearing this diagnosis it prompted me to let down the wall that I built up and had allow me to force his memory out of my life. 

The ALS forced me to learn to forgive and give people a chance to not pass judgement so fast and harshly.  I HAD to listen to him, I HAD to try, I HAD to be able to say I gave it my best sho. ,What did I have to lose but a few tears.  If I didn't let down my pride, my guard and my stubborness I might miss out on something pretty damn good and I don't like living with regrets.  My big brother Dennis reminded us life isn't forever and forgiveness can be part of life. should be part of life. 

Less than a month later we had a big family reunion here at my home - with my big brothers, yes I was estranged from both my brothers.  They also didn't know I was in contact with our mother's (died in 1987) family so for them it gave them back a big sense of family.  They gave me the gift of a big brother, I gave them the gift of family.  I and my brothers gave our cousin & family the courage to also reconcile that weeekend, they had been estranged 12yrs.

This past April we took my brothers to Oahu for Dennis's 50th birthday.  A big vacation was something he really wanted to share with Diane.  While planning the trip we did have to tell them where we were going for vacation, they were happily surprised.  They also decided to get married while in paradise.  They had the most beautiful, intimate wedding I've ever attended.  It was just my 2 brothers, the bride Diane, myself and my husband standing barefood on a knoll of grass at ocean's edge.  Truely a feeling of having come full circle in our lives.

Had I not listened to my brother during that first phone call I would have lost out on so many cherished moments this past year.  My big brother means more to me that anything in my life right now.  My husband and I both feel that we got the big brother that we always wanted but never really had.  In the 15yrs of estrangment Dennis changed in many ways, mostly due to the love of his new bride Diane.  I am strong in the feeling that each minute with my big brother is worth more than anything else life can provide right now.  His symptoms are advancing, it seems as of lately they are going faster than I thought they would. 

So in many ways ALS was a blessing, it gave me back my brother but it is also taking it him from me. It taught me to forgive, it taught Dennis how to be a big brother & husband.  Never take tomorrow for granted.  I always tell people I love them before I hang up the phone, before I say goodbye, before I leave the house - every chance I get, tomorrow may not be here, enjoy today.

October 23, 2007, 4:35 pm CDT

Tuesdays with Morrie

Quote From: phnafferty

this book was so inspirational to me, i lost my son in tragic circumstances nearly 2 years ago and i know for a certainty that if i had just one more day with my son i would  let him know just how much i loved him and how much his passing has saddened my life, we should never take the time we have with our loved ones for granted  tell them every day just how much they mean to you and how much you love them because we never know it may be the last day we see them. i still tell my son even though he is not here in body but hee in spirit that i love him more than life itself
I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your son.  I think of situations like yours and am so confused about situations like mine.  Almost 11 months ago, my husband and I tried to give some guidance to my daughter about her wanting to buy a new home. She had given us the impression for many years now that she was not in a good financial situation, so it came to us as a suprise that suddenly after we had sold her a home that we owned at half of it's worth, (because of her financial situation) that she was quickly ready to sell it and was looking for very expensive to purchase. She took our guidance as harassement, caused a small arguement, moved out without telling us where. She has blocked our emails, we are not permitted to send emails to her business site. We found her new address through her business in the Yellow Pages. We have not seen our 3 grandchildren for almost a year. We have sent emails to her business asking to see them repeatedly but she does not answer us. In a way I have lost my child and grandchilden as well. I am so confused and hurt I cry everyday. I just don't understand. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last