Message Boards

Topic : 10/23 Tuesdays with Morrie

Number of Replies: 97
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 19, 2007, 01:45:04 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

If you knew you were going to die tomorrow, could you say you lived your life to the absolute fullest, or would you have regrets? This year marks the 10th anniversary of the best-selling memoir of all time, Tuesdays with Morrie, and the author, Mitch Albom, remembers his former teacher and mentor’s simple but important messages that have touched so many. Joined by Morrie Schwartz’s loved ones, Mitch shares his friend’s wisdom and life lessons as they pertain to Dr. Phil’s guests. When Bobby and Kelly appeared on the show previously, they were on the verge of divorce because she was tired of being the primary breadwinner and had lost confidence in her husband. Now, is it possible for Kelly to find forgiveness? Then, Tarah wants her husband to reprioritize his life and start putting his family first. She says he chooses dirt biking, hanging with his pals and lounging on the couch over important family events. Josh admits he can be selfish, but says if Tarah had a job, she’d know how he felt when he got home. Plus, guests reflect on the meaning of Morrie’s life lessons and share how they were inspired to change their lives.  Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 23, 2007, 5:00 pm CDT

Elaborate

Quote From: cartilagecrown

This book is not all that people say it is. Yeah, death is around, and it sucks when it happens.

He just spent time around an old guy.  Old people talk about death a lot because for them, it's most likely going to happen to them sooner.  Just because a guy was around to hear the old guy talking about death doesn't mean it's more significant.

It reminds us to enjoy life- a simple message that comes around often.

No it does  not mean that only old people or people who know that they are going to die have an answer.
A lot of young people die too.
A lot of people that, you would think. do not deserve to die

But regardless they still have to deal with the same issue: they are going to die and be gone!

Does it really matters how old Morrie was? Hell no. Because 12 years old who are walking the mile know exactely what the old man was saying. They live it.

October 23, 2007, 6:13 pm CDT

Best day possible

Thanks Dr Phil for bringing ALS to a wider audience. I missed most of the show but saw the part with Denise.  Denise, you ARE an inspiration!  I thought of my husband when I saw you.  Thanks to all those who have shared their ALS stories.

I first heard of this disgusting disease in late 2004 when my husband, Jerry, said  to me "I think I have ALS". We had been married for about 2 or 3 months. He had been complaining of various symptoms for since June. He was a nurse, did alot of research on his own and essentially diagnosed himself months before his official diagnosis in June, 2005. We had just bought a house in March, '05 and in May he quit his job. He said if "I'm going to die , I'm not spending what time I have left working." We worked non-stop on getting our new home in order, travelled to Ireland to finish our honeymoon which was rudely interrupted by Hurricanes Francis and Ivan, spent 2 weeks cycling in France fulfilling a dream of Jerry's to see the Tour de France, ate lots of good food and spent time with family and friends. We even drove cross country with our cat and dog in the car to spend the winter in California with his sister because cold weather was hard on his muscles. 

Jerry had been a triathlete in his 20's and continued to ride his bike (he changed to a recumbent bike) until March 5, 2006. 

On March 17 Jerry's friends put on a race (kayak/cycling) along with a silent auction to honor him and to raise money for ALS and the Green River , a favorite kayaking spot. It was an amazing day. www.jerrysbaddle.org  Jerry died 17 days later. He was 48. Including memorial donations we raised over $16,000.00 that year. Last year we raised $12,000.00 (in one day!!) and next April when the 3rd Annual Jerry's Baddle happens we hope to raise more.  I miss my husband everyday. Next Tuesday he will have been gone as long as we were married (573 days). I have him to thank that I have few regrets in our time together.  One morning, about 4 days before he died, when he had decided to stop eating and was ready in his heart to move on, he said to me with a smile  "I'm going to make this day the best day possible."

October 23, 2007, 6:21 pm CDT

What do poor people do?

While I mean no disrespect to Denise and others like her who are able to accomplish their dreams even when stricken with a terminal illness, I have to wonder what thousands of others do who have similar illnesses but cannot afford to fulfill their dreams.  If and when I'm diagnosed with a terminal disease, I'll probably be destitute after paying the first few medical bills.  With no family members able to take me in and a spouse (if still healthy) who very likely will not want to provide care, I would imagine I'll be at the mercy of a charitable institution with a room available.  Travel and dreams will most certainly disintegrate once the diagnosis is given.  Just surviving every day will be the single challenge in what will be left of my life.  Morrie, and those like him, are so lucky to have family support and loved ones around them throughout the course of the disease.  Others are not so blessed.  What happens to them?              

October 23, 2007, 6:33 pm CDT

just sharing a thought...

Quote From: peony4

While I mean no disrespect to Denise and others like her who are able to accomplish their dreams even when stricken with a terminal illness, I have to wonder what thousands of others do who have similar illnesses but cannot afford to fulfill their dreams.  If and when I'm diagnosed with a terminal disease, I'll probably be destitute after paying the first few medical bills.  With no family members able to take me in and a spouse (if still healthy) who very likely will not want to provide care, I would imagine I'll be at the mercy of a charitable institution with a room available.  Travel and dreams will most certainly disintegrate once the diagnosis is given.  Just surviving every day will be the single challenge in what will be left of my life.  Morrie, and those like him, are so lucky to have family support and loved ones around them throughout the course of the disease.  Others are not so blessed.  What happens to them?              
I would really hate to be in the USA for that reason alone.  You guys have to pay your own medical bills.  Way up here(we're not really that far away) in Canada when we are sick we just go to the doctor's.  No difference if you are dirt poor or filthy rich.  Everyone is entitled to the same care. I can't imagine what life would be like having to worry about paying if someone in your family got sick. It's funny how we can live so close to each other and yet be so different. Just curious....how much does it cost for medical care? Let's say to go to an emergency room or for something like having a baby?

October 23, 2007, 6:39 pm CDT

It is the worst

Quote From: lynnkimm

I wish that the husband who wasn't with his wife after a miscarrage would wake up.

My heart goes out to her.  Life is so short. WE all need to live for today!  However, learn to forgive one another is the greatest gift.

I gave birth to a 31 week old still born daughter in the hospital all by myself while my (now) ex husband was home calliing 976 #'s.  Then I had to fight with the hospital by myself that was accusing me of being a drug addict because the baby was deformed in so many ways and I have a high tolerance for pain medication.   I can totally relate to the abandonment issues related with such a tramatic experience.  My dad came and picked me up the next day after my stupid ex finally decided to call my family to let them know what was going on.  It took me a year to get over that one and acctually become a fully functioning person again.  That story is only the tip of the ice berg, my 8 years with a sex addict and a compulsive liar was a complete nightmare...he was so sociopathic it was unreal, he actually believed his own lies.  If I had thought to keep a journal I could have made a fortune selling the story to Lifetime, and his current (new) wife hasn't got a clue she thinks I'm the one that is nuts.

October 23, 2007, 7:09 pm CDT

ALS awareness

I was so glad to see a show that talked about ALS. My Dad was diagnosed when I was just 14. He broke the news the day after Thanksgiving. I had no idea what it was or how hard it was going to be. It is a terrible disease that needs more awareness. I helped care for him for two years, we went to drug studies every month, tried health drinks, exercises, everything we could think of to prolong his life. He died two years later on Thanksgiving day in '99 in my arms. That day still haunts me even now. I first saw Tuesdays with Morrie just a 3 years ago, it hit home. It amazed me to see how someone with such a horrid prognosis could have such a unique perspective on what life he had left. I still cry when I think of it. I went out and bought that book for my husband to read, I also plan on using it as a tool to help teach my children about the disease that took their grandfather from them. I LOVE the book, and I highly recommend it to all who are reading self helpbooks. I have read several myself, but none have quite put life into perspective as Tuesdays with Morrie.

October 23, 2007, 7:18 pm CDT

Did anyone find this show odd?

While the Tuesdays with Morrie book and what it represents is a good message, it didn't seem to mesh well with the rest of the show.  Guests come to Dr Phil to hear his advice and have his feedback.  While I know Dr Phil does thorough background work on each guest, during the show, it seemed more like the guests received quotes from the book more than advice they needed to really hear from Dr Phil.  This was an odd one....

People watch Dr Phil because they value his advice and approach to topics and issues...not to hear another person give advice. 

October 23, 2007, 7:49 pm CDT

I don't know

Quote From: jelpy26

While the Tuesdays with Morrie book and what it represents is a good message, it didn't seem to mesh well with the rest of the show.  Guests come to Dr Phil to hear his advice and have his feedback.  While I know Dr Phil does thorough background work on each guest, during the show, it seemed more like the guests received quotes from the book more than advice they needed to really hear from Dr Phil.  This was an odd one....

People watch Dr Phil because they value his advice and approach to topics and issues...not to hear another person give advice. 

I watch Dr. Phil cause I learn a lot from the show and guests dilemmas.  Learning from them what their lives are about helps me with mine.  The message boards wouldn't be here if our opinions/comments didn't matter. 

Dr. Phil, your quote "can't change what you don't acknowledge"  reminds me of the serenity prayer. 

I have a question about the five people I meet in heaven.  I never read this book, however, when I get to heaven will I meet my birth family or the family that I lived with since I was 3 days old? 

Pearlhanna

PS Not to get off topic, I hope, Dr. Phil and Robin, you're not affected by the fires in California. 

October 23, 2007, 8:33 pm CDT

Inspirational

I found todays topic, the guests and especially Denise to be an inspiration to many.  I will order the bracelets to give to my patients who need a little boost of their own to appreciate what they have in the here and now.  Don't wait for a medical or psychological "wake up call" to get your life in gear. 

October 23, 2007, 9:32 pm CDT

10/23 Tuesdays with Morrie

Quote From: september2004

I want to comment on the couple Josh and Tara.   If Josh needs to read the book,  then Tara needs it more!!!   The whole story about this couple did not come out.   Any woman that keeps her child from her husbands parents need to change some  priorities  too!    The whole DR. Phil thing is all about Tara being Tara

How do you know that Tarah keeps her son from Josh's parents? If you know them then you know why his parents don't see Brody that much and you have no right to blame Tarah for anything. If you don't know them, then you shouldn't be posting comments on here blaming Tarah. Tarah doesn't need to change her priorities at all. She is there for her family and friends whenever anyone needs anything.

Tarah and Josh are great peeople and deserve the best. Josh is a good guy but he should have been there for Tarah. She is still having a hard time with the miscarriage and hopefully he will be there from now on.

To Tarah and Josh- I love you both!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last