Message Boards

Topic : 10/23 Tuesdays with Morrie

Number of Replies: 97
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 19, 2007, 01:45:04 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

If you knew you were going to die tomorrow, could you say you lived your life to the absolute fullest, or would you have regrets? This year marks the 10th anniversary of the best-selling memoir of all time, Tuesdays with Morrie, and the author, Mitch Albom, remembers his former teacher and mentor’s simple but important messages that have touched so many. Joined by Morrie Schwartz’s loved ones, Mitch shares his friend’s wisdom and life lessons as they pertain to Dr. Phil’s guests. When Bobby and Kelly appeared on the show previously, they were on the verge of divorce because she was tired of being the primary breadwinner and had lost confidence in her husband. Now, is it possible for Kelly to find forgiveness? Then, Tarah wants her husband to reprioritize his life and start putting his family first. She says he chooses dirt biking, hanging with his pals and lounging on the couch over important family events. Josh admits he can be selfish, but says if Tarah had a job, she’d know how he felt when he got home. Plus, guests reflect on the meaning of Morrie’s life lessons and share how they were inspired to change their lives.  Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 1, 2007, 9:26 am CDT

10/23 Tuesdays with Morrie

Quote From: canadianfan77

I would really hate to be in the USA for that reason alone.  You guys have to pay your own medical bills.  Way up here(we're not really that far away) in Canada when we are sick we just go to the doctor's.  No difference if you are dirt poor or filthy rich.  Everyone is entitled to the same care. I can't imagine what life would be like having to worry about paying if someone in your family got sick. It's funny how we can live so close to each other and yet be so different. Just curious....how much does it cost for medical care? Let's say to go to an emergency room or for something like having a baby?
 Just the day before yerterday,  on the Blue Ridge Parkway, in NC, I noticed a car with a Canadian tag. The young couple was  from London, Ontario. I asked about Canada's health care system. And, was to d that it's terrible. Especially the long waiting lists for necessary, life-saving surgery. When I mentioned that I'd heard of people dying while waiting, the man told me a friend of his would've died if he hadn't had the money to have the surgery done in the US.  The man I spoke to, by the way, has private health insurance through his employer.

November 1, 2007, 9:46 am CDT

10/23 Tuesdays with Morrie

Quote From: jelpy26

While the Tuesdays with Morrie book and what it represents is a good message, it didn't seem to mesh well with the rest of the show.  Guests come to Dr Phil to hear his advice and have his feedback.  While I know Dr Phil does thorough background work on each guest, during the show, it seemed more like the guests received quotes from the book more than advice they needed to really hear from Dr Phil.  This was an odd one....

People watch Dr Phil because they value his advice and approach to topics and issues...not to hear another person give advice. 

I watch Dr Phil for his advice, whether I agree with it, or not.
 Not to see the celebrities he's had on some of his past shows. Having an occasional  celebrity, who's very popular with kids, and is a proper role model,  to give advice, is one thing.
 But those who are poor role models? They're already getting way too much publicity without Dr Phil chimimg in.
All the "Dr Phil Now, breaking news" about Britney Spears, Lindsey Lohan, Paris Hilton and all those others, showing no inclination to quit living so dysfunctionally? He isn't helping them. He's just a wasting air time on them.
I had no problem with the "Tuesdays with Morrie" author. But, agree with you that it wasn't relevant to his other guests' situations. Why not have, with that author, other people inspired by someone in their lives. And, save those seeking Dr Phil's advice, such as Josh and Tarah,  for another show?

November 8, 2007, 5:58 pm CST

who said money was everything?

Quote From: ykfannumber1

Hello Dr Phil,

I must tell you this show came at the right point today. I was talking to a dear friend earlier, not sure why I felt like I should reach out to her today but for whatever reason I did. She was very down and feeling lonely and said to me" I wish I had someone that would just wrap their arms around me and give me a hug or tell me Gosh you look pretty today".

I took notes of the show today and felt that I needed to write down important words I heard today and send them to her along with a copy of the Book so that she knew that her life is a gift from God and to make the best of every precious day she is here...and she is here along with all of us for a reason.

People might think...Oh I was a mistake but NO one is a mistake from God...He gave us all life and our responsibility is to make the most of everyday because we have no guarantee of tomorrow.

My Brother suddenly passed away in July of 2006 after going in for a "simple surgery" so the Doctor said and never made it out of that hospital. I felt like I died along with him that day and everyday since I am searching in my heart for the answers.  I was like alot of those people today talking about "putting work" ahead of everything else and guess what...didn't matter in the end.

I knew my Brother had checked into the hospital that night before on July 25th and instead of calling him and saying I will be thinking of you and I Love you or having a simple conversation I was too involved in the work project I felt I had to do that night....Funny thing is that next day I was thinking at any time my Mother would be calling to tell me everything went ok and he was fine, something told me it wasn't fine and when I returned back to my office that afternoon I got that call we all dread...I knew it I knew I had lost my only Brother at age of 48yrs.  This has forever changed me and I will never be the same.  What I learned about me this past year was Don't take life for granted because NO one can predict what today will bring and tomorrow is a Precious Gift.

Since then, I lost my job after 25 yrs afterall...why? No reason or No reason was given. This also changed me because this was the very reason why I didn't make that call or why I wasn't home for all those important events in my Daughters life and husband. This past 6 weeks has been exactly what God was telling me. STOP! and smell the roses because you are running out of time. Stop traveling and working 70 hrs a week...Stop missing out on your life because the JOB is just a Job and guess what ...WE are all replacable....ALL of us! 

Money is not everything...Its only a part of living but its not the Top of the pile. Be responsible with your choices in life and don't make it so stressful that Money becomes so important.

My life is a gift...I want to share my heart with others...There are alot of lonely people in this big beautiful world, make a difference and share yourself with others. Life is leaving a legacy..Ask yourself what will you leave behind.

Thank you

Sherri

i lost  my oldest brother in viet nam. since then, i have lost my granfather and grandmother.. my mother-in-law and father-in-law. five brothers-in-law, and two sisters-in-law.  a 19 year old and 11 year old nephews. my next to oldest brother and my sister above me. my mother and my father. my husband murdered. i fell in love again and he is gone too. i love all them. i miss them. i have lost some very close freinds  and aunts and uncles too.  i have gone through so much in mylife , i could not begin to write it all.  i  was born into a very poor family. we never even had running water untl 1971.  i have been poor all my life.

i in no way think money is everything, i sure think life would be a little easier with money than it is without it. i know everyone has poblms, i know eveyon dies and everyone hurts.  i just think money is good and i    would rather have more than less. no more posting for me. i do not want to hurt or offend  anyone

November 30, 2007, 4:13 pm CST

I did not see the show, but would like to comment

I did not have a chance to see the show due to being in the middle of the california wildfires.... however, as I read the comments, it appears to me that many did not understand ALS......  and I hope that Dr. Phil does another similar show.

"Tuesdays with Morrie" is a true story about a student and his college professor who suffered  and died with ALS.  ALS is a horrific, ruthless, and relentless disease where there is no treatment, and no cure.  The message the show tried to probably promote is that a person with this disease lies in wait to die, and so each day become so very precious. 

For me, I have to comment, as I have a mother, male friend and cousin who all suffer with this disease. My question to all that did see the show and did not get it is this:   Do you know what it is like not to be able to use your hand to scratch your nose?  Or not hold a brand new grandchild ever?  Do you know what it is like to have a treach inside of you and struggle to breathe, being in and out of the hospital on a constant basis-- or Not being able to walk you daughter down the isle at her wedding?????  These are some of the challenges that ALS patients struggle with and what it leaves for their caregivers to deal with on a 24-7 basis....

Most ALS cases occur between 40-70, and some are earlier.  I hope Dr. Phil does another similar segment like this one with morrie..... as perhaps more people need to realize the devastation that occurs not only to the patient, but to their families as well.  It strikes about one person every 90 minutes, and takes one life just as often, and 350,000 world wide suffer with this disease.

At the present time  I am donating a portion of the proceeds from my new award winning book, "THE APPLICA-PHOBIA OF COLLEGE ADMISSIONS" to the ALS society in hopes of finding a treatment and cure for this dreadful disease.  The goal is to help students get into the school of their choice, and to help people with ALS ------.  I happened to see a write up about the Dr Phil show, and wanted to see what people had to say, and to be perfectly honest, I was saddened that people did not grasp the story better!

I am sorry for the people who did not understand the show...  For more understanding, go to www.alsala.org.

December 4, 2007, 6:49 pm CST

Hollywood glamorizing!!!

Is there anyone out there that has actually gone through the horrors of what ALS is ??? I have been through it and watched it take my beloved mother, day by day and hour by hour. How dare this horrific disease be glamorized by Dr. Phil or anyone!!! I am outraged!!! No wonder I stopped watch you Phil!!! Ask me about the horrors that I witnessed during my Mother's demise and death. Perhaps a better guest on the show would be someone like me-your average person that doesn't have the bucks to be a TRUSTEE on any board-but someone that saw it, and lived it and feels the loss of my Mom, EVERYDAY.

December 4, 2007, 6:55 pm CST

Kudos to you

Quote From: lilmspj

I did not have a chance to see the show due to being in the middle of the california wildfires.... however, as I read the comments, it appears to me that many did not understand ALS......  and I hope that Dr. Phil does another similar show.

"Tuesdays with Morrie" is a true story about a student and his college professor who suffered  and died with ALS.  ALS is a horrific, ruthless, and relentless disease where there is no treatment, and no cure.  The message the show tried to probably promote is that a person with this disease lies in wait to die, and so each day become so very precious. 

For me, I have to comment, as I have a mother, male friend and cousin who all suffer with this disease. My question to all that did see the show and did not get it is this:   Do you know what it is like not to be able to use your hand to scratch your nose?  Or not hold a brand new grandchild ever?  Do you know what it is like to have a treach inside of you and struggle to breathe, being in and out of the hospital on a constant basis-- or Not being able to walk you daughter down the isle at her wedding?????  These are some of the challenges that ALS patients struggle with and what it leaves for their caregivers to deal with on a 24-7 basis....

Most ALS cases occur between 40-70, and some are earlier.  I hope Dr. Phil does another similar segment like this one with morrie..... as perhaps more people need to realize the devastation that occurs not only to the patient, but to their families as well.  It strikes about one person every 90 minutes, and takes one life just as often, and 350,000 world wide suffer with this disease.

At the present time  I am donating a portion of the proceeds from my new award winning book, "THE APPLICA-PHOBIA OF COLLEGE ADMISSIONS" to the ALS society in hopes of finding a treatment and cure for this dreadful disease.  The goal is to help students get into the school of their choice, and to help people with ALS ------.  I happened to see a write up about the Dr Phil show, and wanted to see what people had to say, and to be perfectly honest, I was saddened that people did not grasp the story better!

I am sorry for the people who did not understand the show...  For more understanding, go to www.alsala.org.

Thank you for briefly mentioning the devastation that this horrific disease brings the patient and the family. There is no understanding - unless you have seen it with your own eyes-I have and I get it.
Perhaps Dr. Phil will invite us on the show to give a more realistic version of WHAT this disease does and how it takes and takes and takes and doesn't give up until your loved one takes their last breath.
I watched my Mom suffer, and shed an ocean of tears when she could no longer hold my son, and I know about scratching that itch that she could not longer reach!!!
Yea, Dr. Phil-run something similar to this show, as couples with marriage problems are something can be solved-ALS can't be solved!!!

April 18, 2008, 4:07 pm CDT

Take 1...That's a rap!

Quote From: ramair

If you're talking about Bobby and Kelly, I wonder if she was ever in love with him. Or, rather, in love with the lavish lifestyle she expected him to provide. I found her attitude, on today's follow-up, just as sickening as on the orginal show.
 She married down? What a rotten, demeaning thing to say. I can't believe Dr Phil let her get by with it. I guess, if a wife says it about her husband, it's okay. But, if a husband said that about his wife, Dr Phil would be all over him like white on rice.
It seems that Bobby has withdrawn from Kelly. Or, at least that's what she said, Taken by Dr Phil at face value. But, has Kelly never withdrawn from Bobby? I suspect she has. Withheld sex from him, even. Probably because he wouldn't take  some job she picked out for him. Would she be willing to take that same job? If she wouldn't, how can she expect him to?
And, the $160,000 debt? How much did he wrack up? And, how much did she? He  ought to pay off his part of the debt. And, she ought to pay off hers. No matter whose is bigger. And, I suspect its hers. Since she's the one resenting him because his job won't support her desired lifestyle.
Come, on, Dr Phil! Let's be objective here! Just because she's a woman, doesn't mean Kelly's completely without fault.

I think we need to keep in mind that the Dr. Phil Show, or any t.v. show we watch that is not aired live, is edited.  Have you ever stopped to think that, due to time constraints, many of the important facts might have been edited out...like How much did he loose in the Commodity Market?  I am sure she has added to their debts...Did she ever deny that?  Society does not like to admit that there are still the "Haves and the Have Nots," just like they don't like to admit that racism is still rampant in America!  If people are honest with themselves, there are many topics that we don't like to talk about, but that does not mean that they don't exist.  I agree,  her comment about "marrying down" did come as a shocker, but what about her being on disability and paying for the house where HE is living!!  Withholding sex?  Didn't they infer that there had been no physical intimacy between them in a long time?  I thought they had in one of the episodes.  She did admit that their problems were not just about money, but I do agree that the shows did seem to focus on that.  I think Dr. Phil knew she was also at fault.  Didn't he offer her counseling?

I just think we need to remember that we only see the edited version of the taping and just a few minutes of their reality. 

First | Prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next Page | Last Page