Message Boards

Topic : Workplace Bullies

Number of Replies: 245
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 09:25:23 am
Author : dataimport
Bullying is not just a schoolyard pastime anymore, it has spread to the workplace as well. Share your stories, support and advice with others dealing with a bully at work.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 22, 2005, 10:57 pm CDT

I Didn't do what she said I did

I was working at a rehab., center for women. For the first couple of months of my employment my supervisor was pleased w/my job preformance. In fact she gave me a very good evaluation.  A few months later I started noticeing a change in her attitude towards me. On my second evaluation she marked me all "B"'s (Below Standards). She even wrote on my evaluation that if there was another complaint that she would request my termination. Shortly after that I had put my name in for a full time position, and she told me to come in for an interview. To my suprise, she asked for my resignation, my photo ID badge & my key to the building. I asked her why. She stated because I had missed some contraband on a client who had returned back from a pass, and a couple of days later other staff members had found it. The following day, I had found out from anoher co-employee that I was terminated because I had given heads up on a couple of ladies & their attitudes. That if they didn't change their attitudes that they could receive disciple from staff members or be asked to leave. I had written to the president, vice president, and human resorces. The following day I received a letter from the vice-president of the company that I had been terminated because of my job preformance. I had also found out that I was actually terminated because my supervisor wanted to re-hire an ex-employee. This ex-employee is approx 30 yrs younger than I am, plus of different race. I can't go to the Depart. of Labor to file a complaint of racial & age discrimantion because she covered her butt and said it was because of my "job preformance" Can anyone offer any help or suggestions here?

Desperate in IL

July 23, 2005, 4:26 pm CDT

bullies everywhere

I am glad to see the message boards back up and running.  What I find most disgusting, is the amount of adults that are bullies.  I run into a lot of them through my business.  People are just nasty these days.  They want thier work done ASAP, but then they don't want to pay for it.  People in traffice are in such a hurry that they have to tail gate and zoom in front ofyou, because that extra half a second they would have to wait for a light to change or for traffice to start moving is going to take 10 years off thier life.  When I am shopping I try to at least smile or say hello to people I meet in the isles.  Rarely do I get any eye contact.  I have had people run into the back of me with thier shopping carts, because they are so focused on themselves, that they are unaware that there are other people around and they literally crawl up your back, then can't be bothered to say excuse me.  Very rarely do I find people that are kind, friendly and considerate.  I am having a hard time living in a society that acts this way.  I have given alot of thought to just dropping out of society and going somewhere, like to a big city, where you can get lost in the system and no one is going to care what you do.  In my work at the fire house, I recently went through a situation where some other people at the fire house are so insecure and have so little self esteem, that they thought it best to come after the officers of the department.  They made life intalerable for those of us in the upper positions.  So much so that we finally walked away from it.  In one night our local department lost almost 100 years worth of experience, all thier EMT's,  They lost the chief, asst. chief, the ems director, the secretary, the fire prevention officer and the cadet leader.  They lost thier key people and now they are struggling.  I moved on to another department, but because of all of this, I am a member only.  I refuse to get that involved again.

July 25, 2005, 11:07 am CDT

This is my suggestion

Quote From: bonnielove

I was working at a rehab., center for women. For the first couple of months of my employment my supervisor was pleased w/my job preformance. In fact she gave me a very good evaluation. A few months later I started noticeing a change in her attitude towards me. On my second evaluation she marked me all "B"'s (Below Standards). She even wrote on my evaluation that if there was another complaint that she would request my termination. Shortly after that I had put my name in for a full time position, and she told me to come in for an interview. To my suprise, she asked for my resignation, my photo ID badge & my key to the building. I asked her why. She stated because I had missed some contraband on a client who had returned back from a pass, and a couple of days later other staff members had found it. The following day, I had found out from anoher co-employee that I was terminated because I had given heads up on a couple of ladies & their attitudes. That if they didn't change their attitudes that they could receive disciple from staff members or be asked to leave. I had written to the president, vice president, and human resorces. The following day I received a letter from the vice-president of the company that I had been terminated because of my job preformance. I had also found out that I was actually terminated because my supervisor wanted to re-hire an ex-employee. This ex-employee is approx 30 yrs younger than I am, plus of different race. I can't go to the Depart. of Labor to file a complaint of racial & age discrimantion because she covered her butt and said it was because of my "job preformance" Can anyone offer any help or suggestions here?

Desperate in IL

If you got your job back your boss will make your life a living hell and will try everything to get rid of you. I worked for this factory you have a probationary period that if you missed 3 days you will be fired. It also says in the handbook that if you are sick and have a doctor's excuse then you would not be fired well during my probationary period I got sick and also gave them a doctor's excuse they fired me anyway. I applied to unemployment and got it they disputed it and I won I could of gotten my job back but I knew that if I did they would make my life a living hell and would find another reason to fire me. I am sorry to hear about your situation but people play dirty. If I got you mad I am sorry I did not mean to do that.

September 17, 2005, 3:10 pm CDT

Sweet Justice!

I left my story under my old username microbrew. I was bullied and laid-off.  I finally got to see "what goes around comes around".  The director of nursing for that home health care agency got FIRED in July. Justice still happens in this world! 

September 17, 2005, 6:26 pm CDT

My husband

My husband is experiencing this this right now.  I'm amazed at how cruel people can be. 

September 21, 2005, 9:55 pm CDT

why the meanness?

I have been working a this company for nine years. I made some really good friends. Unfortunately, I witnessed a fellow employee purposely harm another and for five years I had to deal with her retaliation. Now that the company finally fired her, I thought I would be able to come to work and actually enjoy being there without "looking over my shoulder". But this woman had befriended a couple of ladies that are known to be extemely neive and need a "leader". Well they are mad at me because their friend is no longer there. Now they have taken over where she left off. I am at my wits end. I am tired of being the victim. How do I approach this short of quitting my job.  Mind you , most of the other people I work for are great, but these two are gossips and mean spirited. But they are very good at putting on the innocent charm with anyone else is around. Some have figured it out and know they are phoney, but some are still in denial.  I am on the edge and dont know what to do.

October 15, 2005, 4:55 pm CDT

I'm I a Goner?!

Hi, I recently resigned from a "big-time" job making lots of money for reasons I would like to think were really no fault of my own.  It was a job in the Healthcare Industry. It is such a long story, but "let's just say" it didn't work out, but now I am working somewhere new in Retail. I just started this new job and I did not put on my resume or on the application about this recent job I resigned from because it was such a bad experience and I was only there 2 1/2 months.  The problem is one of the women I worked with at the Healthcare company came into the Retail store today and is obviously great friends with one of the managers.  I know that she has told the manager (her friend) that I was last working at that Healthcare company or if not yet already, I know she will ASAP.  I don't know what to do?  Af first I thought I would approach the manager head-on (like a gutsy woman LOL) and just say, "hey, I worked for that company, but the reason I didn't put it down on my resume or application I submitted here is because I realized that was too big of a job for me with my other commitments so I just resigned from the position after 2 months".  What do ya'll think?  I'm scared they are going to fire me for "misrepresenting myself or falsifying my application!"  Any suggestions would be really appreciated!  Thank you!!

October 15, 2005, 9:55 pm CDT

Techically speaking

Quote From: lucky35

Hi, I recently resigned from a "big-time" job making lots of money for reasons I would like to think were really no fault of my own.  It was a job in the Healthcare Industry. It is such a long story, but "let's just say" it didn't work out, but now I am working somewhere new in Retail. I just started this new job and I did not put on my resume or on the application about this recent job I resigned from because it was such a bad experience and I was only there 2 1/2 months.  The problem is one of the women I worked with at the Healthcare company came into the Retail store today and is obviously great friends with one of the managers.  I know that she has told the manager (her friend) that I was last working at that Healthcare company or if not yet already, I know she will ASAP.  I don't know what to do?  Af first I thought I would approach the manager head-on (like a gutsy woman LOL) and just say, "hey, I worked for that company, but the reason I didn't put it down on my resume or application I submitted here is because I realized that was too big of a job for me with my other commitments so I just resigned from the position after 2 months".  What do ya'll think?  I'm scared they are going to fire me for "misrepresenting myself or falsifying my application!"  Any suggestions would be really appreciated!  Thank you!!

you did misrepresent yourself.  If this happened a couple of days ago and this manager has not said anything, then don't you.  If they say something then admitt and apologyze and tell what happened, and you were there for only 2 months.  Each Case is different. 

And quit thinking for negatively. 

October 16, 2005, 5:32 am CDT

Peace of Mind

Quote From: stormy247

I have been working a this company for nine years. I made some really good friends. Unfortunately, I witnessed a fellow employee purposely harm another and for five years I had to deal with her retaliation. Now that the company finally fired her, I thought I would be able to come to work and actually enjoy being there without "looking over my shoulder". But this woman had befriended a couple of ladies that are known to be extemely neive and need a "leader". Well they are mad at me because their friend is no longer there. Now they have taken over where she left off. I am at my wits end. I am tired of being the victim. How do I approach this short of quitting my job.  Mind you , most of the other people I work for are great, but these two are gossips and mean spirited. But they are very good at putting on the innocent charm with anyone else is around. Some have figured it out and know they are phoney, but some are still in denial.  I am on the edge and dont know what to do.
You're peace of mind is more important than any senority at a company or money. You could possibly claim harrassment.  I would document everything being done to you or said to you. Harrassment charges are a long shot because you'll probably be the one fired if you decide to go that route, but since you've been there for so long, you might be able to get an attorney to represent you.  I would talk to an attorney and see what he/she says, too. If you can't find one to back you up then I wouldn't do it, but if these people are this way now, they won't change. So, you might consider looking for another job.  It just isn't worth the stress you're under to continue with a group of unprofessional, mean-spirited people like these and unfortunately these are the type of people that companies usually keep and they let all the good employees go.

October 16, 2005, 5:41 am CDT

The Healthcare Industry must not be good.

Quote From: milehibaby

I left my story under my old username microbrew. I was bullied and laid-off.  I finally got to see "what goes around comes around".  The director of nursing for that home health care agency got FIRED in July. Justice still happens in this world! 
I always thought the healthcare industry was such a great industry to get into until I came across the absolute worse job experience I've ever had in my life. I doubt I ever try it again.  There's a lot of background, mean-spiritied things going on in the industry and I feel sorry for anybody having to work under these type of conditions.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last