Message Boards

Topic : 12/25 Parent Trap

Number of Replies: 3786
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 26, 2007, 02:49:00 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 10/29/07) Fraud. lies. conspiracy. They may sound like the latest Washington scandal, but these are allegations of exes at war over child support. Dr. Phil's guests claim they became victims of the perfect crime when they were led to believe they fathered a child that was not biologically their own and were forced to pay. First up, Enrique says he was shocked and angered to discover he was not the father of his youngest daughter, Selina, and that she was conceived during his ex-wife, Maria's, adulterous affair. Maria says he raised Selina but then abandoned her to save money. Why does Maria say Enrique's current wife is to blame for the fractured relationship? Next, 13-year-old Selina speaks one on one with Dr. Phil. Will she decide to let the man she once called Daddy back in her life? Then, Carnell Smith, who uses the online moniker, "Man4Justice," suffered a similar fate to Enrique, and but he fought and won. He says he's tired of seeing women trap men and get away with it. A heated debate ensues between him and feminist attorney, Gloria Allred, who argues that men like Enrique should continue to act as the father ... and continue paying! Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 27, 2007, 12:14 am CDT

Women who do that should be ashamed!

Women who pass their kids off as someone else's should be ashamed of themselves.  It is women like that who make it hard for women like me.  My ex husband has been denying our 18 year old son since before he was born.  Never mind that I have always been willing to have my son tested.  He is over $20.000 behind in child support and hasn't seen my son in 11 years.  I thank God for my current husband; a real man who has taken on the responsibility of being my son's "dad".

October 27, 2007, 12:56 am CDT

women have the advantage

Since the beginning of time women have had an advantage over men when it comes to parenting.A woman always KNOWS a child belongs to her.A  man can only know what he's told.Therefore the greater responsibility belongs to a mother.

October 27, 2007, 8:20 am CDT

Fathers

Fathers are more than a checkbook.  I don't think he should have to pay if he isn't the biological father - especially since he's been lied to this whole time.  HOWEVER, if he's raised this child and is the Dad that the child knows - I would assume there is love between the two of them.  That relationship should continue. 

Biology has less to do with parenthood than love, trust, teaching and caring that comes from that relationship.  "Anyone can be a father - but it takes someone special to be a Dad"

Just my 2 cents.

October 27, 2007, 9:02 am CDT

Sue for fraud

I think men in these circumstances should be able to sue these women for fraud. It's no different than someone misrepresenting themselves as an investor and then bilking innocent people of hard earned money. That's a crime punishable by jail and fines, as it should be for these women. No one can put a price on the emotional and mental stress their dishonesty causes but they should still be held liable legally. Women who've done this to men AND their children...SHAME ON YOU! Men who've gone through this...I'm terribly sorry and hope you can some day find peace.

October 27, 2007, 9:06 am CDT

Equal Rights

Women have the right to ask for DNA to prove who fathered the child so why can't a man request the same procedure?  No one should be expected to pay child support for a child that is not theirs.  I also think the mother should be held legally responsible if she knows the child is not her husbands/boyfriends and lies to the courts about it.  It is about time that the rights of the mother and father be equal and that we throw out this anitquated theory favoring women in divorce.  I feel sorry for the child who finds out that his father really isn't his father and that his mother has been lying to him/her.  People do not realize the damage they do to children with their selfish acts.  If we insist that the man pay child support for a child that is not his we are giving the real father a free pass on his responsibilities and telling the mother what she did was acceptable. 

October 27, 2007, 10:42 am CDT

Doctor Phil Show

Doctor Parents Phil Trap. What are you talking about Doctor Phil? The only Parents Trap is in the movie.---

See you on Tuesday October 30th, 2007. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.--------------------------------------

October 27, 2007, 11:53 am CDT

10/29 Parent Trap

Hmmm...what I believe is that women like Maria are afraid to tell the men that their child isn't theirs, because they are afraid that he is going to leave her, & her family, & that's what I can understand on. It also happened with Frankie & Gwen a few weeks ago (just titled "Frankie & Gwen"). I also have to say that women like her aren't evil creatures. True, what she did was wrong, but probably has a good reason, & that women do bad things just as the men, but they're definitely not evil. No matter what bad things they have done, I would never degrade women, like calling them awful names & such, because they're totally disrespectful. I also think that the man should continue to be in her life, just because he's been in her life for so long. If I was in the man's situation, I would continue to be there for the child, & support him/her. Should DNA matter? Absolutely not.

October 27, 2007, 12:36 pm CDT

Monday Parent Trap

I have no idea who Carnell Smith or Gloria Allred is, but it sounds like both of them need to do what most judges and attorneys in Chancery Court need to do. (For those who are not familiar with injustice that means they need to get their head out of their crack.) I hope Enrique no longer has to pay child support to a child that is not his biological child. I hope the mother of that child has to return every penny of illegal child support she stole from Enrique. I hope the mother gets the child support her child deserves from the biological father, who should have been paying child support from the very beginning if he is alive and able to do so. Every man that has been paying child support to a child that is not his biological child should sue Gloria Allred and people similar to her to send a message that men who are not the biological father of a child should not have to continue the lie of being the biological father and they should not have to continue paying for a child that is not their biological child. Once a man has discovered that he is not the biological father of a child and he still wants to be a father to that child and pay child support to the child he should be allowed to do so of his own choice and he should be commended for doing an honorable deed. And that child should thank him for it and be grateful that he or she has a man like him in his or her life.

This paragraph is in response to the first 5 messages posted on October 27, 2007 by Princess1, lovthesand1, vixiex, joyklein and archladydi respectively. In some states the child can sue the biological father, after the age of 18 years, and get the child support money he or she did not receive. Be glad the biological father was not in your son’s life and stop thanking god and thank your husband for being who he is and hopefully your son is grateful for having a real man in his life. In the real world and in America women do NOT have an advantage over men. Any man who is being "accused" of being the biological father of a child should immediately request a DNA test if he is in doubt. If he does not then he must want to pay child support for a child that is not his biological child. And if a man does not want any children, he can always get a vasectomy and prevent future children he does not want to be responsible for. I agree, fathers are more than a checkbook, but for those who are not fathers they can be good providers and the woman and the man’s biological child should be grateful for that at least. If two people want a special bond to remain in tack, they will ignore that lack of biology and continue the love that was meant to be and be grateful for one another. Women do ask for DNA test. If a man truly wants to know if a child is his biological child he will take the DNA test or request it himself. Women who know that a man is not the father and just flat out lie should be legally prosecuted in some way. Maybe not jail, unless it is an absolute last resort, but punishment is definitely in order. And I hope all men falsely accused can some day find peace. Again, a man can request a DNA test and should if he feels he is not the biological father. I, personally, am sick and tired of hearing about the rights of mothers and fathers. I want to hear about the rights of children. No one is fighting for their rights. What do the children want? Who do the children want to live with? When will the children be listened too. The children should go to the parent that is emotionally capable of raising the child in a stable loving environment. If the child is happy where he or she is, leave him or her where he or she is. And the father should not get a free pass from his responsibilities. Lying and dodging responsibility is not acceptable from either biological parent.

I know I will miss a good show that day and I probably will not be able to read any more comments after today, but I wish you all well.

October 27, 2007, 12:56 pm CDT

Can you define "greater responsibility?"

Quote From: lovthesand1

Since the beginning of time women have had an advantage over men when it comes to parenting.A woman always KNOWS a child belongs to her.A  man can only know what he's told.Therefore the greater responsibility belongs to a mother.
Are you saying it is more the woman's responsibility to provide and take care of the child?

October 27, 2007, 2:03 pm CDT

Child support of non-parent.

The actual biological father should have to pay support.  If the child and former "father" wishes to continue a good and established relationship, then it is of best interest to do so.  That does not mean financial support to the mother.  She has already done him enough wrong.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last