Message Boards

Topic : Defining Your Authentic Self

Number of Replies: 7819
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 11:20:02 am
Author : dataimport
Have you read "Self Matters" or become familiar with the process of uncovering your authentic self from watching the show? Share your story here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 25, 2005, 8:29 am CDT

Hello all

I am so excited to have accessed this web site. I need the interaction with people on a search like mine. I've been self-employed for 21 years as a tax accountant.  I've endured inner conflict for years. My desire to please people coupled with my since of fairness and obeying our gov't laws.  I have recently decided to sell or close my business due to the stress reinforced by other personal problems. Depression and pain.   I am so encouraged by this message board. I do hope to establish some buddies that will help me sort through my life issues.  Thanks

July 25, 2005, 8:31 am CDT

tee heee heee

Well don't change the sense of humor.l0l. It is definatly part of ur authentic self.
Thank you very much and i will make sure that i remember that!!!  *Digs through self to find all the good things*  ooooooo thanks for seeing this one i missed it.  Now if it just stays there so I remember it LOL!!!

July 25, 2005, 8:56 am CDT

Welcome!

I am so excited to have accessed this web site. I need the interaction with people on a search like mine. I've been self-employed for 21 years as a tax accountant. I've endured inner conflict for years. My desire to please people coupled with my since of fairness and obeying our gov't laws. I have recently decided to sell or close my business due to the stress reinforced by other personal problems. Depression and pain. I am so encouraged by this message board. I do hope to establish some buddies that will help me sort through my life issues. Thanks

You're in the right place!!! There are MANY WONDERFUL and WISE people here. I know because I sure have felt the same sense of urgency for SOME kind of resolve and the feedback from these folks has always been helpful, on target and very useful.

Just keep coming back!!!!

Brenda :-)

July 25, 2005, 8:57 am CDT

Welcome!

I am so excited to have accessed this web site. I need the interaction with people on a search like mine. I've been self-employed for 21 years as a tax accountant. I've endured inner conflict for years. My desire to please people coupled with my since of fairness and obeying our gov't laws. I have recently decided to sell or close my business due to the stress reinforced by other personal problems. Depression and pain. I am so encouraged by this message board. I do hope to establish some buddies that will help me sort through my life issues. Thanks

You're in the right place!!! There are MANY WONDERFUL and WISE people here. I know because I sure have felt the same sense of urgency for SOME kind of resolve and the feedback from these folks has always been helpful, on target and very useful.

Just keep coming back!!!!

July 25, 2005, 9:27 am CDT

Spiffy New Message Board!

Oh! Ritehere, Teri, Michelyn5 and Longstory, I have missed you all so MUCH!!!!

I was just browsing and reading to try and catch up with every one! Hope everyone is having a fabulous summer!!!

Only 3 more working days before I am officially retired-from this particular position, that is. RETIREMENT... sure hope I'm doing it correctly!

I just have no experience at retiring. Is it supposed to be one of those solemn, somber things or like a 'Yee-ha, it's party time, ya'll!' kinda thing? Hope it's NOT too serious. I don't have a single decent black outfit! And, that black hat and veil are just plain gone... lost the veiled black hat while racing down the road after a funeral!!!

So good to have the board back! I've missed you all!

Oh! I did return to the beach, have another M-O-T-H-E-R story, later!

July 25, 2005, 9:38 am CDT

Defining Your Authentic Self

Moira,

Something I have learned is that a good therapist will listen and guide you to find your own answers. Quite often we know the appropriate answers for our life's challenges, it just takes saying them outloud to be recognized. Good job!

It is wonderful that you get to share this gift with your children and grandchildren. Often we don't go towards our lives confused on purpose...and our children usually figure that out. Your gratitude shows, and I celebrate it with you!

Teri

Moira,

Hi, I am new to this too, but I wanted to reply to you because I have been where you have been. I have had "therapists" tell me that I was nuts and that I had all kinds of disorders I knew I did not have.  I was badly abused as a child growing up and it took me awhile to figure out that being abused every day was not normal. Of course the "therapists" and Psychiatrists that practiced in the 60's were a lot different than the ones that practice today. I finally stopped seeing them and luckily I found a support group of beautiful people who had been treated the same way I had been. They became my lifeline and yes, I made a lot of bad decision but I figured out that I am not nuts and I have raised 3 beautiful children and I have 2 beautiful granddaughters. I am like you, I don't have bad days anymore allthough I am fighting cancer and I have a lot of other physical problems, I feel like if I wake up each morning than that is a GREAT DAY!. I am so glad that you have great days and have a wonderful time with your children and grandchildren.

Connie

July 25, 2005, 9:41 am CDT

RETIREMENT????

I was just browsing and reading to try and catch up with every one! Hope everyone is having a fabulous summer!!!

Only 3 more working days before I am officially retired-from this particular position, that is. RETIREMENT... sure hope I'm doing it correctly!

I just have no experience at retiring. Is it supposed to be one of those solemn, somber things or like a 'Yee-ha, it's party time, ya'll!' kinda thing? Hope it's NOT too serious. I don't have a single decent black outfit! And, that black hat and veil are just plain gone... lost the veiled black hat while racing down the road after a funeral!!!

DANG YOU SOUND HAPPY ABOUT THIS CHANGE....... HERE IS WAS MOUNING AND PITCHING ABOUT MY BUSINESS AS IF I WERE PUTTING A CHILD TO DEATH....  BUT AFTER READING YOUR ENTHUSIASM IT'S CATCHY.....

PUTTING THAT BUSINESS TO REST WILL BE MORE LIKE BURYING THE TWO HUNDRED POUND DRAG I BEEN LIVING WITH FOR YEARS... THE HAPPY DIVORCE... NOW I JUST WANT IT BEHIND ME.  MAYBE MY DREAD WAS ABOUT DOING IT... HE HEE HE HEEEEE & WHOPEEEE

July 25, 2005, 9:49 am CDT

Lyne,

Hi Ritehere,

It is good to see you back on the board, your input is always refreshing to read and your wisdom is clearly something i acknowledge and look for.

Thank you for your kinds words for Lynn i sure will say a prayer for her.

Have a nice day

Sincerly Lyne

So glad to hear from you again! Aren't vacations just what you need? I hope your surgery is completely successful and recovery is quick. Keep us posted.

July 25, 2005, 9:59 am CDT

Brenda,

Thought about you alot while the boards were down, but it sounds like you're still here and relatively sane, despite what you feared! I've been studying Buddhist practices, and this was a lovely example of impermanence. I tend to get upset when my carefully balanced spinning plates crash to the floor, but you know what? They do it anyway. Find the lesson and the humor and move on. Great to hear from you!

July 25, 2005, 10:58 am CDT

Not sure where I am?

Hello there,

I am new to message boards and don't often get to post/get on the net. I am 45yrs old, single professional counselor and just feeling really lost on my spirit's journey. I spend a lot of time just working with families and adolescents and trying to fit in time for myself. I like to jog, and do so 4miles per day, and swim for 2 miles, it helps to reduce stress, keeps me fit and trim and hopefully makes me attractive to a potential mate. I am Native American and participate to two different worlds. It's getting hard to keep it going... When I have my professional hat on, it feels so natural and I have such fun with it, despite all the problems I deal with with my families. Yet, when I come home and I am alone, I often wonder if I have walked my path in truth and made a difference. I have no children, and no partner except Spirit. I often find myself wondering why my Higher self would choose such a path for me, yet, I accept this path but, not sure anymore how to continue the walk/journey.

I welcome any feedback/ideas.

Spirit Bless,

Monica

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last