Message Boards

Topic : Defining Your Authentic Self

Number of Replies: 7819
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, July 07, 2005, 11:20:02 am
Author : dataimport
Have you read "Self Matters" or become familiar with the process of uncovering your authentic self from watching the show? Share your story here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 25, 2005, 11:27 am CDT

Go For IT, Girl!

Quote From: jazzz6

DANG YOU SOUND HAPPY ABOUT THIS CHANGE....... HERE IS WAS MOUNING AND PITCHING ABOUT MY BUSINESS AS IF I WERE PUTTING A CHILD TO DEATH.... BUT AFTER READING YOUR ENTHUSIASM IT'S CATCHY.....

PUTTING THAT BUSINESS TO REST WILL BE MORE LIKE BURYING THE TWO HUNDRED POUND DRAG I BEEN LIVING WITH FOR YEARS... THE HAPPY DIVORCE... NOW I JUST WANT IT BEHIND ME. MAYBE MY DREAD WAS ABOUT DOING IT... HE HEE HE HEEEEE & WHOPEEEE

July 25, 2005, 12:28 pm CDT

I CAN RELATE

Quote From: turtleplus

Hello there,

I am new to message boards and don't often get to post/get on the net. I am 45yrs old, single professional counselor and just feeling really lost on my spirit's journey. I spend a lot of time just working with families and adolescents and trying to fit in time for myself. I like to jog, and do so 4miles per day, and swim for 2 miles, it helps to reduce stress, keeps me fit and trim and hopefully makes me attractive to a potential mate. I am Native American and participate to two different worlds. It's getting hard to keep it going... When I have my professional hat on, it feels so natural and I have such fun with it, despite all the problems I deal with with my families. Yet, when I come home and I am alone, I often wonder if I have walked my path in truth and made a difference. I have no children, and no partner except Spirit. I often find myself wondering why my Higher self would choose such a path for me, yet, I accept this path but, not sure anymore how to continue the walk/journey.

I welcome any feedback/ideas.

Spirit Bless,

Monica

I STARTED COLLEGE TO BECOME A LICENSED COUNSELOR... CAVED IN AND TOOK THE ROAD OF LEAST RESISTANCE, ACCOUNTING. IT'S DIFFENTLY NOT MY CALLING, ALTHOUGH I BELIEVE I HAVE EXCELLED IN THE AREA. THAT'S MY NATURE, NOT MY CALL. I TOO HAVE ENJOYED MY FAMILIES, AND HAVE DONE NEARLY EQUAL AMOUNTS OF MATH TO LISTENING. IT'S OFTEN BEEN A JOKE ABOUT PUTTING IN A RECLINER. WELL I ENJOYED THAT PART OF MY JOB MUCH MORE THAN THE TAX END. BEING THAT I HAVE $$$$ RESPONSIBLITIES I KEPT PUSHING FORWARD. LIKE YOU I AM SINGLE AND ALWAYS CONSIDERED MYSELF FIT AND ATTRACTIVE. NOT SO OF LATE, SINCE MY TRACTOR ACCIDENT I CAME TO HATE MY BODY, ASHAMED OF IT, I LOST 20 POUNDS WHICH I DIDN'T NEED TO LOOSE, HANGING SKIN. YUK YUK. ALL THIS MERELY ADDED TO THE EXISTING STRESS. I HAVE SOME PROPERTY UP FOR SALE AND WILL BE ABLE TO PAY OFF MY MORTGAGE. THIS WILL GIVE ME TIME AND TH E ABILITY TO FIND MY TRUE LOVE WHAT EVER THAT IS. I'M ONLY SURE IT'S NOT DOING TAXES. AS FOR MY LOVE LIFE THERE ISN'T ONE...... I WAS ALWAYS PRETTY CONTENT WITH MY JOBS, HOME AND WORK. HORSES, DOGS, ETC.  MY RECOVERY HAS ENDED THE HORSEY THING AND I NEED SOMETHING. I WOULD LIKE A MALE BUDDY TO PLAY WITH, NOT NECESSARILY SEXUAL, BUT THAT MIGHT BE OK?????  I AM GOING TO WORK THIS PROGRAM, TRY TO FIND MY OWN ROAD BLOCKS, AND HOPEFULLY THE SECOND HALF OF MY LIFE WILL PROVE TO BE MORE REWARDING...  ENJOYE D READING YOUR MESSAGE

July 25, 2005, 12:59 pm CDT

It's Ok Monica

Quote From: turtleplus

Hello there,

I am new to message boards and don't often get to post/get on the net. I am 45yrs old, single professional counselor and just feeling really lost on my spirit's journey. I spend a lot of time just working with families and adolescents and trying to fit in time for myself. I like to jog, and do so 4miles per day, and swim for 2 miles, it helps to reduce stress, keeps me fit and trim and hopefully makes me attractive to a potential mate. I am Native American and participate to two different worlds. It's getting hard to keep it going... When I have my professional hat on, it feels so natural and I have such fun with it, despite all the problems I deal with with my families. Yet, when I come home and I am alone, I often wonder if I have walked my path in truth and made a difference. I have no children, and no partner except Spirit. I often find myself wondering why my Higher self would choose such a path for me, yet, I accept this path but, not sure anymore how to continue the walk/journey.

I welcome any feedback/ideas.

Spirit Bless,

Monica

I have a different situation, but I have lots of friends and clients in your place. I reccomend alot of books, as I don't have all the Answers. Did you read "Running with Wolves"? I forget the author right now, but I think you would benefit from it! Good luck to you!

July 25, 2005, 2:46 pm CDT

hey I am bored

I am writing a small message on Dr Phil's message board because I am bored. Does anyone here ever just find it exhausting to live life? I have always been considered a "happy", and "fun" person. I have been married for 2 years. I am a going to school to be a Nurse practioner. I tell myself that I love it, I tell myself that I couldn't be going into a better career and that I love treating patients response to illness. Truly though I want a huge house in the mountains that is covered in fruit trees with a fence that is twelve feet high surrounding it. A pool, a barbeque, a million books to read and a dog by my side to keep me company. I don't like people and their infectious diseases. I actually like infectious disease more then I like people. I have no reason to dislike people except that all I see in them is sadness and the ability to be hurt. I see their ability to hurt others with acts of stupidity or just plain accidents. I think I may be depressed, but I have no functional problems yet. My husband tries to get me to talk to a psychiatrist and he makes appointments for me to see one. On my way to the appoinments I rationalize my self out of the appointment. I see the problems in me and I am scared to change them. I like me but I see the sickness in me. I see the sickness in Americans all around me. I try to tell myself that when I am done with school I will find a country with less sickness but I know there isn't one out there. I tell myself I will be happy making enough money to be comfortable on and helping people with their sicknesses and being "good" and "kind" but it won't happen. I know that good and evil are relative and that I am not a candidate for either one of them. I see my fellow students not relishing in the fact that they will soon be able to help people, but the fact that they will be making a 6 figure income soon. All of my ideals of going to school to be a health care provider have been shot in the conversations with my peers. My mind is sick, and I am tired. Maybe I will finish my degree and become a beach bum. That will make my parents proud!!!! I must sound crazy but I was just trying to define my authentic self so deal with it.

July 25, 2005, 3:38 pm CDT

Read the book?

Thanks to all of you who shared your stories on the message board about becoming and finding your authentic self.  From the sounds of it, Dr. Phil's book is the place to start?  I am happy in my career but find that I have a very negative viewpoint and not a lot of self confidence.  I look at others in awe because they seem to be handling life so well...whether they are or not, they just look and seem happier.  Is Dr. Phil's book the first step in defining myself and what will make me happy?

July 25, 2005, 4:13 pm CDT

A Step

Quote From: smiles23

Thanks to all of you who shared your stories on the message board about becoming and finding your authentic self. From the sounds of it, Dr. Phil's bookis the place to start? I am happy in my career but find that I have a very negative viewpoint and not a lot of self confidence. I look at others in awe because they seem to be handling life so well...whether they are or not, they just look and seem happier. Is Dr. Phil's book the first step in defining myself and what will make me happy?

Self Matters is but one way of beginning the journey to find your authentic self.  There are many writers who have given us books - but remember it is not the book that will change you - it is YOU and the commitment you make to your self for the change.

And the other thing that is important to remember is that you should model yourself upon the person that is most important to you and that person is YOU.  For if you look to emulate others you will be attempting to live their life not yours.

The work that Dr Phil sets us in Self Matters and Life Strategies reaches far within our being (providing we allow it to) and will provide you with the platform to model your life as YOU want it.  It tests us and bends us and stretches us to limits we never imagine.  But the goal once reached is well worth it - that goal is YOU.

July 25, 2005, 4:15 pm CDT

Self Matters Jul 26

Dr. Phil's Self Matters Tuesday July 26

It's time to start moving in a new direction that is grounded in the vibrant here and now, instead of continuing in the old direction that is grounded in a tired, outdated, and irrelevant history.

July 25, 2005, 4:51 pm CDT

Change just IS!

Quote From: ritehere

Thought about you alot while the boards were down, but it sounds like you're still here and relatively sane, despite what you feared! I've been studying Buddhist practices, and this was a lovely example of impermanence. I tend to get upset when my carefully balanced spinning plates crash to the floor, but you know what? They do it anyway. Find the lesson and the humor and move on. Great to hear from you!

Ya know, when I was preparing to finalize my separation/retirement I was experiencing a bit of anxiety and apprehensiveness. I actually found myself gnawing at my nails.

Then, I began thinking of how long I've been working with the, "Just get the job done." thinking. I don't mean that I devalue the people I serve and I certainly cherish most of the people with whom I've work with, however, I sure became aware of how much respect I've lost for the 'System' in which I work!

I thought about all of the people who have been right there with me, in the trenches. That's when I said, "I'm worried about NOT being in the TRENCHES...a long narrow ditch?!?!"

I also realized that I really LOVED my job about 15 years ago. As I was being promoted and saying at the same time, "But, I REALLY want to continue to work hands-on in Nursing." So, they gave me BOTH! Acute Primary Care and Management responsibilities! I was an idiot to take on the things I've been assigned in the last ten years!

I will miss those wonderful people I work closest with over the year. (Hey, they think I'm funny!)

However, once I got clear. I grabbed my shoulder bag, with my dingy head held high and headed for the Personnel Office to file for full retirement!

YES!

Brenda :-)

July 25, 2005, 10:43 pm CDT

lost &looking

HI I AM A 53 YR OLD WOMEN WHO IS STILL LOOKING FOR MY AUTHENTIC SELF.

July 26, 2005, 3:10 am CDT

what I've decided

I'm no longer going to listen to the broken record in my head that the ex left running which tells me that I've never had an original thought & I've enrolled in a writing course & I'm going to start my journalism course again. I hadn't been doing it because I couldn't afford the fees, but I entered into an agreement with them today, so that is how I will now be spending me time. I realized, listening to Dr Phils show yesterday that the broken record is him taking my power away & I will allow it no more. His jibes & put-downs will no longer affect the way I feel about myself. Even if it's just to spite him I will find my authentic self & I will be happy (& maybe even successful). MEg

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last