Message Boards

Topic : 07/04 Body Dysmorphia

Number of Replies: 289
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 26, 2007, 02:52:19 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 10/30/07) When most women gaze in the mirror, they may bemoan a blemish here or a wrinkle there. Imagine staring at your reflection for over two hours and hating your face so much that you never leave the house. Dr. Phil’s guests say they are prisoners to body dysmorphic disorder (BDD), a preoccupation with a real or imagined physical defect. Diana, 28, has been suffering with BDD for over 13 years. She’s undergone over 50 permanent make-up procedures –- eye liner, lips and eyebrows –- and didn’t leave her home for two years because she thinks she looks like a monster. Her mother, Guadalupe, and her sister, Liz, say it’s painful to watch Diana deteriorate before their eyes. Find out the shocking event Diana believes caused her condition. Then, 17 year-old Cheyenne used to win beauty pageants, but now believes that she’s an ugly, overweight girl with thunder thighs. She takes several hours to get ready for school in the morning, and constantly picks at her arm hair and lips. Her mom, Bobette, wonders if she’s the cause of her daughter’s bad feelings. Does Cheyenne really have BDD, or is something else affecting her? Share your thoughts here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 4, 2008, 7:54 pm CDT

Most of us have been there.

Quote From: suns150

i was mad fun of in high school i just agerd then and said that they are not me i i nice looking man

This is not to negate the validity of the existance of the disorder but saying being made fun of in school has anything to do with it is silly. I don't know many people who weren't made funof for being too tall, too short, too fat, too skinny, big nose, small eyes, whatever.

I have much more pity for the kids who really are fat, short or ugly and who are teased.

July 4, 2008, 7:57 pm CDT

body of dysmorphia

As the mother of a daughter who was sexually abused, I'm appalled that professional help was not pursued before Diana felt the need to have 50+ "procedures" to try to regain some sense of purpose................(which, by the way, was, unfortunately, in vain).  What a lovely woman, and what a shame that she didn't receive the help she so desperately needed at the time.....

July 5, 2008, 7:40 am CDT

Right! Kudos

Quote From: saradear251

Poor someone that is so beautiful and feels sorry for themselves. Is this another way of them getting the attention they so desire, and do not deserve? How can you feed into these types of people?  What you should have done Dr Phil, is have some real disfigured people sit next to her and then maybe she would quit feeling sorry for herself.

Her world is filled with all the good things, and beauty in her life that she has no idea what reality of the real life is. This girl has the world in the palm of her hands. Life hands you everything when you look as gorgeous as her.

Perhaps  she wants the show to pay for her plastic surgery?  Please tell these types of people that they are nuts, and need to see a shrink.  She needs a good slap in the face from a thing called life. Hopefully she will get it soon. She has lived such a sheltered and pampered life, she does not know what real life is like.

The only reason she probably can't leave home is because she is lazy. If someone believes they are ugly as she believes, what is she doing going on TV to be seen by all your viewers? She is full of malarkey.  

"The only reason she probably can't leave home is because she is lazy. If someone believes they are ugly as she believes, what is she doing going on TV to be seen by all your viewers? She is full of malarkey. "

This is definitely worth repeating

April 

July 5, 2008, 2:45 pm CDT

This, I don't understand!

Quote From: prettynpinkk

Dear , Dr. Phil   or Anyone reading

I think  i may have body dismorfia ( sorry i don't know how to spell that well). I am 27 year years old. I have a skin disorder called hairy nevi.   70% of by body is covered with moles, they look like birth marks so thats what i call them. I also have one big birthmark from my knee to a inch away from my belly button ( in the front), and from the back of my knee till the middleof my back is all brown birthmark. And it does'nt stop there, from 4 months old till 6 years old i went through 11 surgreys, which resulted in half of my thighs to be ALL scar, thick scar that looks like freddy cougar. I have never had a boy friend, i don't trust anyone, and i have no friends. I have lost my son 3 years ago and have'nt seen him, i hear about him though because my mom has him. I tried going to schoool and had a perfect attendence record until i quit after 8months due to anixty. I feel like killing myself everyday , i have over dosed on pain pills 3 times 3 yars ago. I also have depression, learning disablities, personality disorder, and cronic anixty at times. i have not seen a doctor in about 3 years because i don't trust any of them, it's not that there not good doctors but if i can not articulate whats going on in my head how can anyone help.

I am fixated on going on the Dr. Phil show, i have e-mail s 5 times in the last 5 months, i ahve video taped my body, and also mail some pictures. I just want to be there for my son, but i know my mom will not let me see if unless i'm in school and working for at least a year or two. Ifit was that easy i would. I have never had a job over 3 days. I think my body and how i feel about my body is the BIGGEST thing that is effecting my life, i know everything would calm down tremdously if i could calm this body dismorfic thingi have going on. 

I am renting a beautiful 4 bedroom town house right now for a GREAT price, i am sub letting 3 rooms out while i take the basement. i am making about $1000 a month added on to my $1000 disablity cheque. My goal is to go see Dr. Frank Lawlis at the PNP clinic in dallas. This is my thing on that, i ahve been doing it now for months, and have no money saved up, i have gain a new adiction and that is shopping, i have to shop for clothes, acupuciture, things for my house, pedicures, manicure, and thing likem y hair. In calm down my anixty to live in a nice home, and dress in nice clothes so i can blend in as much as i can with everyone else. I hope if i ever go to this clinc that he can talk to Dr. phil for me, see Dr. Phil came out right after i had my son, he is my mentor , and i have watched about 85% of his shows. I have learned alot how to articlate myself , and i own that to dr. Phil, theres been things in my head that i could never get out and he on MANY MANY occians helped me to get them out. I LITERATLY do not trust anyone in this world to help me. I am scared it will be too late, i am not saying that for attention, i am trying really hard to stay postive for my some my the racing thoughts are getting worse , i feel like cuting myslef and proberly would if i was'nt a baby.

I have heard that you can not see dr. Phil if you were diaignosed by another doctor, does anyone know if that is trues. i know with A.D.D (which i also have since four), you have to get assessed every 3-4 years. I just DESPRETELY want to live a productive life, and be a mother to my son.

PLEEEEEASE HELLLLLLLLP!!!

I have worked almost all of my life, since I was 15 years old. I was permanently disabled 7 years ago due to a severe injury. I paid into my Social Security benefits. This woman has never held a job over 3 days and gets $1000.00 per month from disability? I only get $790.00! Am I the only one who thinks that there is a problem here? Maybe I should have never worked before. I feel like I'm being punished and that people who haven't worked are rewarded. This isn't the first time that I have seen this happen, I know a woman who also gets more than I do and she has never worked a day in her life. She is on disability because she is overweight. Although, throughout this entire time that she has received SSD benefits she has managed to have 3 children. Funny thing, after I became disabled the opportunity to have a child was taken away from me. I cannot carry a child to term and I wouldn't be able to take care of one if I did. And BTW, this woman who has posted here, if she is so ugly and has never had a boyfriend or anything, how did she have a child? Yes, this angers me because I have wanted a baby all of my life! I will never get that privilege!

July 5, 2008, 2:55 pm CDT

Hair loss?

Quote From: shadycat1

Maybe you would, I don't know,
But then maybe you would "Dumb Down ", maybe you would become a self centred jerk, maybe you would decide that NOW that you were "Good Looking ", you no longer needed to use your head.
Personally, and maybe its just me, intelligence means more to me than looks, buy hey tha's just my opinion, but I'm sure there are other women even here who would agree to that.

Is this his only problem? Is this what this guy is hung up on? I can't speak for other women but hair on a mans head is the least thing that I'm concerned about. I have huge crushes on celebrities and non celebrities who are bald. Jeez, I also hate the baseball hat cover up that men do, it's much worse than not having hair but they don't seem to get that. Personally, I will never understand some men's hair hang up!

July 5, 2008, 3:42 pm CDT

You do not understan BBD.

Quote From: twistypri

"The only reason she probably can't leave home is because she is lazy. If someone believes they are ugly as she believes, what is she doing going on TV to be seen by all your viewers? She is full of malarkey. "

This is definitely worth repeating

April 

Hi,

As someone who suffer's from this , we are not lazy or looking for a compliment.

That to me is the mos frustrating part of havind BDD,   I have been called conceited , a snob,you name it and  I have been called it.

Until you walk a day in our shoe's, you have no Idea how much we suffer.

A also had childhood trauma, and even in Therapy it is still hard to deal with it.

I don't take compliment's very easy at all, and I am not out there asking for them, but I know the anxiety that I have is real and I am working on it.

Believe me , we know that we have it good and there are so many people with worse problem' and tha just make's us feel worse.

The reason we don't tell alot of people , is because of response' like yours.

I truly believed the first woman, but the second girl  , I  did not - We wound never put ourselves out there like you do for  a Pagant, I do think she has a problem, thinking the only thing good about her is her look' s

and that is something she will have to get help for.

But in " NO WAY  is it BDD!!

Read about, before you make fun of some one.

From someone who suffer's from BDD , I just hate it when people think we are conceited or don't realize all the Bad situation's there, but making fun of us, it is like being back in Highschool.

As my Nana alway's said; " I you can't say anything nice about someone , then don't say anything"

Again until you walk our shoe's  , don't be the first to cast a stone.  Read about it first.

Zack67

July 5, 2008, 6:48 pm CDT

07/04 Body Dysmorphia

Quote From: jewelsf

Is this his only problem? Is this what this guy is hung up on? I can't speak for other women but hair on a mans head is the least thing that I'm concerned about. I have huge crushes on celebrities and non celebrities who are bald. Jeez, I also hate the baseball hat cover up that men do, it's much worse than not having hair but they don't seem to get that. Personally, I will never understand some men's hair hang up!

Okay...to understand this, I guess you have to relate it like so: how would you feel if you had no boobs?

Men feel about their hair how we women feel about our boobs.

Shallow, tough, not fair.....but true, nevertheless.

July 5, 2008, 7:42 pm CDT

07/04 Body Dysmorphia

Quote From: jewelsf

I have worked almost all of my life, since I was 15 years old. I was permanently disabled 7 years ago due to a severe injury. I paid into my Social Security benefits. This woman has never held a job over 3 days and gets $1000.00 per month from disability? I only get $790.00! Am I the only one who thinks that there is a problem here? Maybe I should have never worked before. I feel like I'm being punished and that people who haven't worked are rewarded. This isn't the first time that I have seen this happen, I know a woman who also gets more than I do and she has never worked a day in her life. She is on disability because she is overweight. Although, throughout this entire time that she has received SSD benefits she has managed to have 3 children. Funny thing, after I became disabled the opportunity to have a child was taken away from me. I cannot carry a child to term and I wouldn't be able to take care of one if I did. And BTW, this woman who has posted here, if she is so ugly and has never had a boyfriend or anything, how did she have a child? Yes, this angers me because I have wanted a baby all of my life! I will never get that privilege!
Life is just not fair sometimes....and the government has no rhyme or reason for the benefits bestowed upon some people...they just know how to play the system!

July 6, 2008, 2:09 pm CDT

Sure

Quote From: prettynpinkk

Hey there, i don't know much about this sight, i have alot of learning disablities as well as body dismorphia. I am very confused with this sight and don't know how to work it.  I would like to talk to you more when i am not emotionlly drained and have a little fuel to talk to you. I think we have alot in common .

Thanks

Sure you can contact me if you would like, I have “big ears”, at least for listening.  I see that my profile does not display my email address, however I do see yours.  I will contact you using my hotmail account and will have the subject titled “From D. Phil”.  Until then, I hope you are well!!

July 6, 2008, 2:51 pm CDT

Is it really vanity?

Quote From: fluzem

As the mother of a daughter who was sexually abused, I'm appalled that professional help was not pursued before Diana felt the need to have 50+ "procedures" to try to regain some sense of purpose................(which, by the way, was, unfortunately, in vain).  What a lovely woman, and what a shame that she didn't receive the help she so desperately needed at the time.....

I agree that Diana has suffered greatly from her mother’s choice for not getting Diana the needed therapy to help process and deal with the abuse in a healthy manner.  In saying this, it is also important to recognize the other factors that influenced the whole situation.  By the sounds of it, there was a great deal of denial and resentment within the family when Diana came forth with the sexual abuse incidents.  Also, it seems that until quite recently (even still existing) there was a taboo that things “behind closed doors” were never to be talked about and those skeletons were often buried in closets to avoid humiliation, gossip, or simply the idea that the perfect family did not exist.  Of course, I am sure we all know the negative effect this has on the individuals that have suffered any sort of abuse.  I certainly hope that Diana now finds the resources to obtain the therapy she needs to move forward from her painful past to find peace with herself.

As for your comment about her being “vain” in participating in so many surgeries, I find that quite contradictory to your statement of her needing “help” due to her history of the abuse she went through.  Obviously, Diana does suffer from body dysmorphia, and unfortunately with this disorder, no possible surgery would ever fix her self image, because her image is always distorted when she looks at herself no matter what surgery or mirror she looks in.  The effects of abuse vary from each individual however, there is no dispute that it creates an emotional scar and then to have body dysmorphia on top of that, it is no wonder that Diana sought a “quick fix” not realizing that until the innermost turmoil is dealt with she would never be comfortable with herself.  I do not believe it has anything to do with being vain but everything to do with an attempt to feel comfortable in one’s own skin – emotionally, physically, and mentally.  Perhaps her method of trying to obtain this is different than what others would choose however, it helps no one by passing judgement.

First | Prev | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | Next | Last