Message Boards

Topic : 06/12 Teacher Sex Scandal, Part 1

Number of Replies: 352
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 26, 2007, 03:01:39 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 11/01/07) Dr. Phil explores a disturbing trend: Female teachers engaging in sex acts with their underage male students. The number of accusations has doubled in the past five years. You've probably heard of famous cases like Mary Kay Letourneau, and Debra LaFave and the recent case of a teacher in Southern California, Meredith Johnson Vincent, who was arrested on suspicion of having a sexual relationship with a 14-year-old boy. Dr. Phil meets one teacher who has chosen to fight back. Joelle Ogletree was a respected high school French teacher until she was accused of sexual misconduct by three of her students. Find out what goes through a mother's head as she faces 160 years in prison. Plus, the Dr. Phil show speaks with one of the boys who says the sexual improprieties absolutely did happen and claims he passed a polygraph examination. When he agrees to take another test for Dr. Phil, what do his answers reveal? Joelle has been banned from even volunteering at her daughter's school because of the accusations. Should she be allowed back in the classroom? Watch and decide: Do you believe her ... or her students? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

June 12, 2008, 9:10 am CDT

i don't get it

These women are so hot they could get just about any man they wanted.   Why are they attracted to boys?  I guess that's whey they are called pedophiles... they are sick.

June 12, 2008, 12:45 pm CDT

Teacher Sex Scandal Part 1

I think this teacher is innocent.  The accusor student sounded too scripted.  I think he's manipulative, scripted and this was very thought out.  Who knows he may even be a person with a personality disorder.  Especially in light of the fact that he failed the polygraph.  This just doesn't add up. 

June 12, 2008, 12:47 pm CDT

06/12 Teacher Sex Scandal, Part 1

Quote From: jokr8790

I didn't see this show when it first aired. First, the fact that one of the students ia a so-called "Christian," cuts no ice with me in terms of his credibility. Bush is allegedly a Christian and he has no credibility whatever, in fact, pathological liar is probably a more apt description. Secondly, school guidance counselors, who obviously have no training in investigation or appropriate interrogation, have no business being involved. Her questioning the boys together, instead of separately, screwed up the case from the beginning. Dr. Phil's questioning her  (the teacher's) demeanor, as to why she wasn't upset when she heard the allegations over the telephone from the boy, didn't surprise me. She had heard these allegations before and had been living with them for some time. If this was a new allegation, or she hadn't heard any of them before, I'm sure her demeanor would have been extremely different. Finally, the school board's actions in refusing to tell her who her accusers were or the specifics of the allegations, are such a basic denial of due process as to be shocking in this day and age. The fact is there are predatory teachers and our children must be protected from them. There are also, however, false accusations that ruin lives of those accused and if you make the allegations shocking enough they are believed simply because of the nature of the allegations. Anyone remember the McMartin pre-school case?
I don't agree with you about Bush, but the rest of your post? Heck, yes!
I remember the McMartin case. And, the ruinous nature of those allegations. Season One or Two, Dr Phil did a show on people falsely accused of various things. And, the effect these allegations had on them. Don't remember if the McMartins were included, though.
I agree that the allegations against Joelle were mis-handled by school district personnel. Then. And, now. She was tried. And, acquitted. So, shouldn't her teaching credentials be reinstated?
One boy has already recanted.
And, the other two didn't show me any credibility.
The first boy's "profession" to be a "Christian" doesn't cut any ice with me, either. According to Joelle, the story this boy told Dr Phil, wasn't the one he told earlier.
And, the second boy failed his polygraph test.
It bothered me too. that Dr Phil questioned Joelle's demeanor. What was his problem? That she wasn't a histrionic, squalling drama queen? A drama queenish demeanor would've compromised her credibilty.
Another boy "comes forward" tomorrow. Wonder what he'll have to say.

June 12, 2008, 12:58 pm CDT

I haven't seen the entire show, but.................

I find it odd that Dr. Phil would mention to the teacher that she is acting like an attorney and is not emotional, or angry enough due to these allegations. After she has been through this for so long, after about 100 depositions, after court appearances, and after everything else she has been through you get to a point where you become numb when talking about it. Maybe that's not the right term. You have just been so engrossed in it, and it has gone on for so long that you do speak like an attorney, unfortunately are so used to it, and you get to a point where you have nothing else inside of you to give in the way of emotion. I don't know if she's guilty, I will watch a repeat of the show, but I feel that was an unfair question. I have been through a lawsuit before, not of this kind of course, and after awhile it just wears you down. You become like a robot, if you became emotional every time the subject came up it would eventually kill you. You cry enough at home, even when you are the one who has brought the lawsuit that you have to learn some self control. I'll watch it again and be able to give my opinion on the entire matter later. Bye everyone!

June 12, 2008, 1:00 pm CDT

Joelle changed her "style" from Freshman to Sophomore year? Was she supposed to continue wearing maternity clothes after having a baby? And, even if Joelle dressed "like" her students, school dress codes don't allow the provocative, revealing clothes she was accused of wearing. Surely, school administrators would've intervened if she'd worn anything inappropriate. Such allegations sound like the "work "of "scorned" boys and "jealous" girls.

June 12, 2008, 1:05 pm CDT

I felt the same way!

Quote From: jokr8790

I didn't see this show when it first aired. First, the fact that one of the students ia a so-called "Christian," cuts no ice with me in terms of his credibility. Bush is allegedly a Christian and he has no credibility whatever, in fact, pathological liar is probably a more apt description. Secondly, school guidance counselors, who obviously have no training in investigation or appropriate interrogation, have no business being involved. Her questioning the boys together, instead of separately, screwed up the case from the beginning. Dr. Phil's questioning her  (the teacher's) demeanor, as to why she wasn't upset when she heard the allegations over the telephone from the boy, didn't surprise me. She had heard these allegations before and had been living with them for some time. If this was a new allegation, or she hadn't heard any of them before, I'm sure her demeanor would have been extremely different. Finally, the school board's actions in refusing to tell her who her accusers were or the specifics of the allegations, are such a basic denial of due process as to be shocking in this day and age. The fact is there are predatory teachers and our children must be protected from them. There are also, however, false accusations that ruin lives of those accused and if you make the allegations shocking enough they are believed simply because of the nature of the allegations. Anyone remember the McMartin pre-school case?

I felt the same way about Dr. Phil questioning her demeanor. I even posted on this subject alone. I totally agree with you on that. I haven't been able to watch the entire show, I'll watch it again so I can't make any opinions about the guilt or innocence yet, but I had to reply on this particular subject. I felt he was wrong in asking this. I feel it comes down to common sense why she is acting the way that she is. Lawsuits that drag on or accusations that drag on can wear you down, you have to be strong, especially if your right.

June 12, 2008, 1:18 pm CDT

I don't yet know if she's guilty.........

Quote From: sporty4

I think it sexual abuse on a child and why would a grown up even want to have sex with a kid. You have to be a real sick human being to abuse a kid or even think about . They should all go to prison and rot in there. Because the kid will have to live with that the rest of his life. How can a kid turn on an adult? You people are sick and its sad that us parents can't even trust a teacher anymore..
Since I haven't watched the entire show I can't comment on her guilt or innocence but she may very well be innocent. I can't say as of yet. But it is true that there have been allegations made towards teachers before that have in fact been untrue. It ruins their lives, they have to live with the horrible stigma of being a pedophile, and their children also have to suffer the consequences. Yes, I am fully aware of the teachers who have in fact done this and like you I too can't understand how any adult could possibly be attracted to a child, I find it unbelievably disgusting! But like I said, these accusations have been made against teachers who are also innocent. I don't know about her yet, I need to watch the entire show. It's a touchy subject that needs to be handled with care, I have a personal interest in this because my step daughter is a school teacher, she is in her 30's, started in her early 20's and happens to be very beautiful. She is a prime target for false accusations, I'm sure that more than a few male students have had a crush on her. I would hate to see her life ruined, and the life of her twin daughters, because of a false accusation. It does happen, not all teachers who are accused are guilty. 

June 12, 2008, 1:43 pm CDT

Quote From: jewelsf

I find it odd that Dr. Phil would mention to the teacher that she is acting like an attorney and is not emotional, or angry enough due to these allegations. After she has been through this for so long, after about 100 depositions, after court appearances, and after everything else she has been through you get to a point where you become numb when talking about it. Maybe that's not the right term. You have just been so engrossed in it, and it has gone on for so long that you do speak like an attorney, unfortunately are so used to it, and you get to a point where you have nothing else inside of you to give in the way of emotion. I don't know if she's guilty, I will watch a repeat of the show, but I feel that was an unfair question. I have been through a lawsuit before, not of this kind of course, and after awhile it just wears you down. You become like a robot, if you became emotional every time the subject came up it would eventually kill you. You cry enough at home, even when you are the one who has brought the lawsuit that you have to learn some self control. I'll watch it again and be able to give my opinion on the entire matter later. Bye everyone!
When Dr Phil questioned Joelle's demeanor, I was so irritated! What was wrong  with it? What did he want? Drama queenish histrionics? Loud, tearless squalling? I saw more than enough of that in one of his other guests. Joelle's demeanor was a breath of fresh air.

June 12, 2008, 1:52 pm CDT

Innocent Teacher?

As I watched this episode I was extremely heart-broken because it really it close to home. I know that there are those sick-o's out there who do take advantage of children and use their occupation as a position of power and it is these people who have created a black mark on the teaching profession and for that they should be banished from the teaching profession and thrown into prison all the while hearing the cell door click behind them. Although, it is those teachers who are becoming vicitims and are being accused of crimes that they have not commited  that my heart really goes out to. People are losing their careers (which many have paid thousands of dollars to obtain), their character is being attacked and they are being treated as outsiders. It is sick, that those teachers who live to teach and educate our youth are being treated as criminals. I have had the experience of knowing an educator that was falsely accused and aquited of all charges, yet she still cannot find a job,her reputation has been shattered and she cannot even find work in neighboring cities.Newpapers attacked her,  and it seems no matter what she does she cannot get out of this rut she's been thrown into and the sick thing about all this is nobody cares that she was falsely accused.  My heart aches for this teacher, I have spent countless nights on the phone with her and she is so destroyed about what has happened to her that she can't even fight back against those who have ruined her and her familys' life.  What should she do?  

June 12, 2008, 2:07 pm CDT

You shouldn't regret your own hurt...........

Quote From: marimarie77

I have to make a comment to this entire subject in general. With the comment, I mention MY story and experience in this subject.

For about 3 years, I, myself was involved with one of my teachers. This, of course, was a HIGH SCHOOL teacher. There is a BIG difference,in my eyes, when it comes to a teacher being "involved" with a student in, let's say a middle school and a teacher being "involved" with let's say a high school aged student. I am sad to mention that the reality is a student in high school, especially a 16 to 18 yr old, is fully aware of the choices being made.

At the time I began a "relationship" with this man, I was of age and aware of my decision in getting involved with him. I was not a CHILD being persuaded by an ADULT to be sexually involved with him.That wasn't even part of the relationship until just about a year. I, MYSELF, made that decision and was fully aware of the consequences, we both were.

Alot of these "young boys" are being put in a victim "pedestal" as if they were taken advantage of. ( I am specifically speaking about the high school scandals) These teachers are being persecuted as criminals as if they RAPED these students, forced them to do something they didnt want to do. That makes me angry. You know what, I WAS raped, and there was a HUGE difference between that situation and MY decision to have a relationship with this man. It is my opinion and/but I speak in behalf of the student, not the parent, not the teacher, but the student. I KNOW WHAT IT IS TO REALLY BE IN THAT SITUATION AND KNOW THE REALITY. I AM NOT A VICTIM OF THIS MAN! I am not a victim because I was and am fully aware of the choice I made to continue in that relationship for 3 years even after  I did graduate. Until about 6 or 7n mth ago.

P.S. although I am not proud of the fact that he is married and DID make me fully aware of that from the beginning, I do not regret those 3 yrs, no matter how much hurt I felt, feel, now that it is over. I wouldn't take it back. 

You SHOULD regret the hurt that you have knowingly or unknowingly inflicted upon his wife!!!!!!!!  How can you post on here so casually about having an affair with a married man? Instead of defending the teachers you should be apologizing for your behavior. The married teacher should also be ashamed of himself too. Not only has he violated the marriage vows that he took but he also has violated his position as a teacher. It makes NO difference that you were of age! You were still his student and he was still your teacher. A teacher should never have sex with a student no matter what the age of that student is. He should be fired! And let's forget, he should be divorced. Shame on you for what you have posted here, shame on you for having no regrets, and shame on you for saying that even though it is now over you wouldn't take it back. Your teacher/lover gives men a bad name and you give women a bad name!

First | Prev | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | Next | Last