Message Boards

Topic : 06/12 Teacher Sex Scandal, Part 1

Number of Replies: 352
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 26, 2007, 03:01:39 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 11/01/07) Dr. Phil explores a disturbing trend: Female teachers engaging in sex acts with their underage male students. The number of accusations has doubled in the past five years. You've probably heard of famous cases like Mary Kay Letourneau, and Debra LaFave and the recent case of a teacher in Southern California, Meredith Johnson Vincent, who was arrested on suspicion of having a sexual relationship with a 14-year-old boy. Dr. Phil meets one teacher who has chosen to fight back. Joelle Ogletree was a respected high school French teacher until she was accused of sexual misconduct by three of her students. Find out what goes through a mother's head as she faces 160 years in prison. Plus, the Dr. Phil show speaks with one of the boys who says the sexual improprieties absolutely did happen and claims he passed a polygraph examination. When he agrees to take another test for Dr. Phil, what do his answers reveal? Joelle has been banned from even volunteering at her daughter's school because of the accusations. Should she be allowed back in the classroom? Watch and decide: Do you believe her ... or her students? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

June 24, 2008, 11:30 am CDT

Point Well Taken

Quote From: ramair

Dr Phil's questioning Joelle's demeanor disturbed quite a few of us, including me. As if there's something "wrong" with a calm demeanor. He seemed almost disappointed that she wouldn't go into a histrionic melt-down. And, for what? Ratings? Am I the only one? Or, does he seem awfully "ratings-conscious" these days. 

Joelle has been going through this for six years.  I know myself, from a situation of a molstation of my own children...time changes the demeanor of a person.  8 years ago, I was a basket case...cried on a daily basis for the next four years.  Today, I'm not emotional in that way.  I'll never like it, never forgive it, but I can discuss it without the histionics of the past.  You get cried out,  and then, at least I did, become very cold, with a controlled anger.  What has happened is no longer a shock, you aren't in crisis mode.  Still, you are never going to say..."that's O.K." 

The show has had a long run, maybe ratings are becoming more of an issue, as some viewers want sensationalism.  Dr. Phil himself has a calm demeanor.  I saw that when his sister-in-law appeared on the show after a serious and disfiguring accident.  She was also reserved, and it was quite a tragic event in her life.

It galls me when emotions or reactions are judged...like "If it were me I'd...."  Not everyone reacts the same...you learn that in psycology 1. 

June 27, 2008, 7:37 pm CDT

06/12 Teacher Sex Scandal, Part 1

Quote From: meowqueen1953

My 16 year old nephew and I were listening to the first part of this on the car radio as we traveled. He said that he would never tell if he was having sex with a teacher. He thinks these guys are crazy.

Now I know that most teens don't have the emotional maturity to be engaged in sex, and I am NOT condoning a teacher violating the trust placed in them. But unless the boy is very sensitive, the emotional impact is different than when it happens to a girl.

I do however believe that teachers (male or female) who are convicted should be treated the same.

agreed

First | Prev | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | Next Page | Last Page