Message Boards

Topic : 06/12 Teacher Sex Scandal, Part 1

Number of Replies: 352
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 26, 2007, 03:01:39 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 11/01/07) Dr. Phil explores a disturbing trend: Female teachers engaging in sex acts with their underage male students. The number of accusations has doubled in the past five years. You've probably heard of famous cases like Mary Kay Letourneau, and Debra LaFave and the recent case of a teacher in Southern California, Meredith Johnson Vincent, who was arrested on suspicion of having a sexual relationship with a 14-year-old boy. Dr. Phil meets one teacher who has chosen to fight back. Joelle Ogletree was a respected high school French teacher until she was accused of sexual misconduct by three of her students. Find out what goes through a mother's head as she faces 160 years in prison. Plus, the Dr. Phil show speaks with one of the boys who says the sexual improprieties absolutely did happen and claims he passed a polygraph examination. When he agrees to take another test for Dr. Phil, what do his answers reveal? Joelle has been banned from even volunteering at her daughter's school because of the accusations. Should she be allowed back in the classroom? Watch and decide: Do you believe her ... or her students? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 1, 2007, 1:50 pm CDT

yeah right

Quote From: damara1210

There is no excuse for having any type of relationship with a student. Teachers are teachers of school work. Sex Education is for the parents to teach, and you so not ever engage in it with a minor child for any reason. Sick Sick people, and I think this would not have happen if the first case had been treated with very harsh puinshment like they do with men. These women need their rights as parents totally and forever removed from them. They should never be allowed near anything younger than 21 years old, PERIOD.
qouting that you said sex ed is for the parents to teach. I walk in the mall here in NYC and I see at least 35 or more teenaged girls between 12- 17 dressed in clothes that would make a street walker blush. Parents have little to no control over there kids anymore. Working retail I have seen children tell mothers and fathers to shut the F up to leave them the F alone and so on. I'll tell you this when i was 12 I became sexually active and my biggest fantasy was with one of my teachers. I would have done anything in this world for it to have happened between us although it never did I fantasized about her all the time and like someone posted before its only when the parents come and and say hey thats bad the boy goes " Oh crap i was raped"
 Watching todays episode I don't know who to believe more. The boy that was on there sounded completely rehearsed in everything that he was saying like someone wrote a page and he had to memorize it. The teacher seemed surprised rather then relieved at the outcome of the polygraph and her unwillingness to take a polygraph herself suggests some sort of guilt.

Do I think its wrong and sick for an adult to have sexual relations with a child? Absolutly. If she is found guilty or something turns up she should go to jail, however, 160 years is insane for this its not the same as a man raping a woman or a pediphile raping a little girl boys think differently then women and its not a traumatising experience for these boys more like a great wonderful thing that everyone should have.

November 1, 2007, 1:51 pm CDT

I am so happy that at least one

of these scandals is shown for what it truly is.  Shame on the kids for doing this to ruin her life and her kids!!  SHAME!

November 1, 2007, 2:02 pm CDT

Joelle Should Be Fully Compensated

Dang! Where were all the teachers like this when I was in school?

Sorry... couldn't resist. :-)
There is no place in our schools for sexual predators, but from what I've seen so far on this, IMHO Joelle is being railroaded.

As far as those boys being from "Good Upstanding Christian" families goes, when I was a kid, I knew a boy down the street who went to church every Sunday, always wore this facade of being a "Good Christian", and would constantly preach to you about your own behavior. If you ever dared turn your back to him though, he would lie, cheat, and steal you blind. So I referred to him as a "Sunshine Christian", meaning that he only acted so piously when somebody was watching him.

Oh, but I forget... All those Catholic priests that have been caught with their hands in the child molesting cookie jars were "Good Christians" too.

Methinks the only trauma these boys have suffered is that involved with getting caught up in their own lies.

Joelle's case was thrown out of court. The last time I checked American law, you are still presumed innocent until proven guilty, therefore, under the law, she is innocent. But 160 years??? Get real. You might as well call that a death sentence.

Since the school has an obligation to protect their students, Joelle should have been suspended without pay while her case went through the courts, but once that concluded with no convictions, she should have been allowed to return to work. She should not have been fired outright based on unsubstantiated accusations alone. 'Nuff said about that.

Unfortunately, Joelle's school and community have already convicted her in their minds, and I doubt that any legal proceeding can undo that kind of damage. She will probably never be able to get any job in that town again, and certainly not at her school.

Unless Joelle is convicted of any wrongdoing in a court of law, I believe she is entitled to compensation and damages from the families of her false accusers as well as the school board, which has treated her so shabbily. And the school should be held liable if they give Joelle any bad job references in the future.

Just my $0.02 worth.

November 1, 2007, 2:21 pm CDT

11/01 Teacher Sex Scandal, Pt. 1

Quote From: killian1

She is doing the right thing by taking a stand not only for herself but for her family and her dignity. She obviously really cares about her self respect. Most cases that Ive been hearing lately hasnt went threw extreme lengths to try and fight back of what she owns and thats what shes doing and I look up to her for that because really a lot of people would be freaked out by allocations and too scared to stick up for herself and what she believes in. This kid is lying and anyone who thinks other wise is in denial I can always tell when they are a lying because they are a bad lire he doesnt even have his stories straight!! He didnt even pass the pathetical test. And then that other kid backed out so we know he was lying! Go Joell fight!!!!

I teach in Texas 5th and 6th graders, and I'm glad she is standing up for herself.  School boards aren't looking out for their employees, but for the board and don't want to loose face.  You would be amazed about how sexually  advance students are today, even 5th graders.  I could see this as student who had a crush on his teacher and he misunderstood her actions.  To me he seemed to scripted in his interview.

November 1, 2007, 2:22 pm CDT

Suprise of the School Board

I'm surprise that the School Board fired the Teacher  instead of letting her resign!  I live in Spring, Tx. and the Spring I.S.D. normally let the Teachers resign so they will not be fired or lose their license.  I know of two cases personally when the Teachers admitted to physical abuse of a child and the Principal and the School Board allowed the teachers to resign so they can go teach in another district and not have any charges filed against them!  I think Teachers need to realize that they are held to a higher standard and no matter how much the students come on to them, the teacher need to be the adult and and let the student know they are out of line!  The students can not make an adult decision to be sexually active.  It is just like a minor child can not consent to sex!!  On the News this week, another teacher was accused of doing the same thing.......when Teachers cross the line with students and are found guilty, there need to be consquences and not let the Teacher resign to go to another school and be a lil' slicker to do the same thing to someone else's child!!   Another life  being  damaged....

November 1, 2007, 2:32 pm CDT

too much

I haven't been able to stop thinking of this case since I watched the show today. Just to think even if the school board let her back in to teach it's obvious that this will happen to her again. This type of accusation sticks with the person wherever they go. She really can't be a teacher anymore regardless how much she wants to be. I think the 3 boys parents should have to pay her her yearly salary every year for every year that she isn't at work as a teacher because these boys really ruined her life and her chosen profession is no longer a viable career for her.

November 1, 2007, 2:46 pm CDT

Say what?

It is sad that it boils down to a he said/she said.  The fact that one of the boys has already recanted his statement and another boy was found to have lied on an FBI-given polygraph test should leave no doubt to the innocence to the teacher.  The state of Texas has already found her innocent as well.  I live about 15 minutes from this particular school.  It is a small town where everyone knows everyone's business.  What surprised me was to find out that her husband is still teaching there.

November 1, 2007, 2:51 pm CDT

11/01 Teacher Sex Scandal, Pt. 1

Quote From: outcome212

I haven't been able to stop thinking of this case since I watched the show today. Just to think even if the school board let her back in to teach it's obvious that this will happen to her again. This type of accusation sticks with the person wherever they go. She really can't be a teacher anymore regardless how much she wants to be. I think the 3 boys parents should have to pay her her yearly salary every year for every year that she isn't at work as a teacher because these boys really ruined her life and her chosen profession is no longer a viable career for her.
Joelle's husband was her HS teacher, they married right after she graduated.... I wonder where she got the idea?

November 1, 2007, 2:52 pm CDT

one more thing...

As a member of the Glen Rose community, I believe the actions of the school board was what was best for the Glen Rose school system.  Everyone who lives in Glen Rose knows what happened and would feel very uncomfortable with Mrs. Ogletree teaching their children.  I'm not saying she would do this again, but what parent would want to take that chance???

November 1, 2007, 2:55 pm CDT

SUE THEM!!

This accuser ruined this girl's life.  He destroyed her livelihood. 

I applaud the teacher for refusing the Plea Deal.

She was innocent then, she's innocent now.

The school, the school board, and the accusers are guilty of Libel ... SLANDER... defemation of character... harrassment... and wrongful prosecution.

I pray that this teacher sues these 'people' for EVERY CENT THEY HAVE.

My prayers are with the teacher.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last