Message Boards

Topic : 06/12 Teacher Sex Scandal, Part 1

Number of Replies: 352
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 26, 2007, 03:01:39 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 11/01/07) Dr. Phil explores a disturbing trend: Female teachers engaging in sex acts with their underage male students. The number of accusations has doubled in the past five years. You've probably heard of famous cases like Mary Kay Letourneau, and Debra LaFave and the recent case of a teacher in Southern California, Meredith Johnson Vincent, who was arrested on suspicion of having a sexual relationship with a 14-year-old boy. Dr. Phil meets one teacher who has chosen to fight back. Joelle Ogletree was a respected high school French teacher until she was accused of sexual misconduct by three of her students. Find out what goes through a mother's head as she faces 160 years in prison. Plus, the Dr. Phil show speaks with one of the boys who says the sexual improprieties absolutely did happen and claims he passed a polygraph examination. When he agrees to take another test for Dr. Phil, what do his answers reveal? Joelle has been banned from even volunteering at her daughter's school because of the accusations. Should she be allowed back in the classroom? Watch and decide: Do you believe her ... or her students? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 1, 2007, 2:57 pm CDT

teacher sex scandal

Give her back her teaching job and leave her alone. I don't believe her accuser.

November 1, 2007, 3:02 pm CDT

11/01 Teacher Sex Scandal, Pt. 1

Quote From: courtney87

AS A PARENT WHO IS GOING THRU THIS RIGHT NOW WITH MY DAUGHTER. THIS MAKES ME SICK.WE LIVE IN A SMALL TOWN IN TEXAS.WE FOUND OUT EASTER WEEKEND THAT A 37YR OLD TEACHER WAS HAVING SEXUAL RELATIONS WITH OUR 17YR OLD DAUGHTER. HE WAS OUR FRIEND AS WELL AS A TEACHER. THIS HAS COMPLETLY DESTROYED OUR FAMILY. TEACHERS ARE IN SUCH POWER POSITIONS. WHEN THEY ABUSE IT THEY HURT EVERYONE AROUND US. THE HARDEST THING WE HAVE EVER DONE IS COME FWD WITH THIS. BUT WE COULD NOT LET HIM GET BY WITH THIS AND DO IT AGAIN. AS PARENTS WE HAVE TO STAND UP FOR OUR CHILDREN BECAUSE NO ONE ELSE WILL. WE HAVE TO TAKE A STAND AND SAY WE ARE NOT GOING TO TOLERATE THIS BEHAVIOR ANYMORE. WE HAVE TO PROTECT OUR CHILDREN. I AM HEARTBROKEN FOR MY DAUGHTER.SHE IS NOT THE SAME PERSON WE KNEW 7MOS AGO. AS A COUNTRY WE HAVE TO CRY OUT FOR SOMEONE TO PUT IN PLACE STRICTER LAWS TO PROTECT OUR CHILDREN.
 I agree with you....as a parent, we have to protect our children because the teachers will not and the school board will not!  It does changes your child personality and also make them angry!  Try talking to your child and counseling to help.  Do not push your child to discuss the details and let her come to you!  Pray for her and always let her know the family is their for her!  Let her know she is not at fault...the teacher is....see if you can file charges on the teacher and make him pay for the damage he has cause!  At least file sexual assault on him....she is a minor still and I hope she is the only one...most likely not!

November 1, 2007, 3:05 pm CDT

A Lie Detector EXAM????

Dr. Phil, Get real..... there is a reason why lie detector exam results are not allowed in court!!!!!!!!!!..... they are not 100% accurate!!!!  I was falsely accused of something I did not do, during an interview for EMPLOYMENT!!!!  Never will  I agree to a lie detector exam again!

Dr Phil, Usually I agree with your points and reasoning.... but the lie detector issue I am completely opposed to.

Laura

November 1, 2007, 3:05 pm CDT

Guilty as charged

She did it, got caught, doesn't want to own it. 

Where is Dr. Phil when a MAN gets this kind of charge filed against him!!??

November 1, 2007, 3:06 pm CDT

Quote From: medic0145

I agree. I have been in a situation when I had to explain events over and over. In the beginning I cried through the entire statement. Six months later in court I was calm, cool and collected (until I just couldn't control my emotions and was terrified on the defendant). I understand the way she was able to handle herself so well.
I agree 100%. You answer the same questions with the same answers. Your answers are always consistent. The one who is lying can't look you straight in the eyes and always has a different version of the false accusations. When you PROVE what they are saying is wrong; they change it a little bit. Then you have to prove yourself all over again. Always tell the truth and God will stay by your side and get you through it. Voice Of Experience.

November 1, 2007, 3:07 pm CDT

Everyone can see what a liar this kid is. They lied for some reason and now they have to stick with their lies.

November 1, 2007, 3:09 pm CDT

so this was in Texas?

man, these Texans love to harass sex offenders.  I moved to Austin less than 2 years ago and I have heard more sexual predator stories here than I have my whole life combined!  It's the lead on the news most every night, there is NO "innocent until proven guilty" theory around here.  In fact, last night for Halloween, the lead story was "let's go check on the registered sex offenders"......the news stations will give out full names and full addresses....it's pathetic.  Thus far, I am not impressed with Texans....

Perhaps this Megan's Law needs to be reviewed.  In the meantime, I hope this woman will continue to fight until her name is clear because if she stays in Texas, they will NEVER leave her alone again.  I'm so sorry this happened....Love, Luanne       

November 1, 2007, 3:15 pm CDT

Quote From: serene1066

Dr. Phil, Get real..... there is a reason why lie detector exam results are not allowed in court!!!!!!!!!!..... they are not 100% accurate!!!!  I was falsely accused of something I did not do, during an interview for EMPLOYMENT!!!!  Never will  I agree to a lie detector exam again!

Dr Phil, Usually I agree with your points and reasoning.... but the lie detector issue I am completely opposed to.

Laura

I totally agree! This is an excellent point- imagine how nervous you would be if you were in that situation, of course your heart rate, breathing, etc are going to be irratic! Polygraph tests offer NO absolute proof.

November 1, 2007, 3:23 pm CDT

It's hard to be a teacher

I have coached and been a teachers aide for several years now and let me tell you these kids can sceme up lies you would be embarrassed about and the problem is once they make the lie up and trouble starts brewing it's like they are too scared to recant their story and so they stick to the lie. They stick to it so bad that they almost convince themselves it really did happen. I think they do this because if they admitt that they lied than they would be in so much trouble that it is worth it to go on lying, after all it doesn' affect them.

I will be interested in seeing the rest of the show tomorrow and this boy that comes forward, but the truth is they will flat out lie to your face and look convincing, but the polygraph should say it all. I've seen instances where teachers should be thrown out on their butt where I have worked. Male teachers flirtting with young girls only in 6th, 7th and 8th grade and to top it all off flirtting with the female teachers infront of the students too. (and this guy is married). I see a lot of inappropriate behavior from both students and teachers and it just is mind blowing that people think that it's ok to display this behavior.

The problem is though it is to easy for students to claim something and then rumors start and then they are believed of what happened. I say we need to put a camera in every class room anymore and that way none of this would happen again. It would be ashame to do this but we need to protect both the teachers and the students at this point. After all if a student got a bad grade from a teacher or was turned down for something it would be easy for a student to claim false accusations.

November 1, 2007, 3:28 pm CDT

Sick twisted teacher!!

I think she did it!!  She is so cold and unfeeling.  If she had really been victimized, she would show more emotion.  Just like Phil said!!  AND IF SHE DIDN'T DO IT, WHY WON'T SHE TAKE A POLYGRAPH TEST??

GUILTY AS SIN!!!

First | Prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next | Last