Message Boards

Topic : 06/12 Teacher Sex Scandal, Part 1

Number of Replies: 352
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 26, 2007, 03:01:39 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 11/01/07) Dr. Phil explores a disturbing trend: Female teachers engaging in sex acts with their underage male students. The number of accusations has doubled in the past five years. You've probably heard of famous cases like Mary Kay Letourneau, and Debra LaFave and the recent case of a teacher in Southern California, Meredith Johnson Vincent, who was arrested on suspicion of having a sexual relationship with a 14-year-old boy. Dr. Phil meets one teacher who has chosen to fight back. Joelle Ogletree was a respected high school French teacher until she was accused of sexual misconduct by three of her students. Find out what goes through a mother's head as she faces 160 years in prison. Plus, the Dr. Phil show speaks with one of the boys who says the sexual improprieties absolutely did happen and claims he passed a polygraph examination. When he agrees to take another test for Dr. Phil, what do his answers reveal? Joelle has been banned from even volunteering at her daughter's school because of the accusations. Should she be allowed back in the classroom? Watch and decide: Do you believe her ... or her students? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 1, 2007, 3:28 pm CDT

teacher sex scandal

I am absolutely outraged that these kids can get away with ruining someones life like that.

I saw the show on Thurs. Nov. 1 and I could not believe that these boys are so rapped up in pear pressure

that they can distroy someones life like that. It is sad. I am absolutely outraged for two reasons. One is:

Ever heard of the boy who cried wolf? It makes it harder for people who are actually telling the truth to come forward because they will now be more afraid of not being believed. I know This feeling having been a victim myself. Two is that, That poor woman will cary this around unfortunately for the rest of her life. I hope you boys are proud of yourselves.  And if she is Guilty of these acts God knows the truth and he will

make sure that justice is served. But I personally dont think she is guilty and I wish her all the best of luck and blessings that God has to offer.

November 1, 2007, 3:29 pm CDT

11/01 Teacher Sex Scandal, Pt. 1

I don't know why that he had to hide his identity when everyone from Glen Rose knows who he is on the show.  All 3 of the boys were all little punks in school and all they wanted was attention.  I believe she is innocent so the town of Glen Rose needs to stop being so stuck up and get over it.

November 1, 2007, 3:30 pm CDT

Hiding behind mama

This "kid" must be around 19 or 20 years old by now due to time frame given. He is a grown adult by law. So why is he having mommy decide that he can't be on camera? If you are bold enough to accuse someone of something of this nature -- and they are basically vindicated -- but drag it out for years and years, then you need to face that person in the eye and explain your story. The fact that he wasn't there and hid behind mama tells me everything.

November 1, 2007, 3:45 pm CDT

I am looking forward to watching part 2 .... I have this feeling that she is hiding something .... I pray my feelings are wrong.

November 1, 2007, 3:54 pm CDT

Kids vs. Teachers = Teachers LOSE every time.

First off, I BELIEVE MRS. OGLETREE. I don't need a polygraph test to prove it to me. She's just another teacher being persecuted under a trend of the past 20 years where students are being believed over the word of respected teachers. Ten years ago as a reporter, I was witness to a set of little witches who accused a long-standing, highly-respected coach and principal of "touching their butts", simply because their mother was a friend of a woman who had an affair with the principal and was mad that the man didn't lose his job over the matter. After hearing their mother complain about it non-stop, they got together with a friend and made up the story, accused the principal, and suddenly he was under major suspicion and ended up having to leave a town he'd lived and worked in for over 30 years. And the little girls? They're grown up now and I'd love to know if they realize what a horrible thing they did to an innocent man just to make their mother happy.

As for myself, I left the teaching business for many reasons, but one of the major ones was the fact that I could possibly get sued for failing a student for not doing his work. I was warned by the principal that I could be sued by the parents of this student for "non-teaching" of their child!!! Never mind that they never stepped in to make sure he did his homework or his assignments - it was up to ME to make sure their child did it. In then end, I gave the kid a C- grade so he could pass. I have resented doing that to this day.

Another incident that I encountered that resonates with what Mrs. Ogletree is dealing with is less than her problem, but along the same lines just the same. During Research Paper time, I had given my students a calendar of when certain elements were due, and they had signed contracts with me saying they understood what was required of them and their deadlines. Thus, they knew well ahead of time that on a Friday, before their mid-six weeks reports were to be turned in to the Principal, their file cards would be due. As they exited the class, I held out a sack and they dumped them in - all but one girl. She said she had forgotten them in her locker and would bring them by before school let out. She didn't turn them in before I left for the day at 5 p.m. So I turned in her id-six weeks report that she was failing, which meant she wouldn't get to play basketball that coming Thursday. She KNEW the consequences and still failed to produce the cards on time.

Next thing I knew, her parents were up at the school claiming that their daughter had told them that she had spoken to me about it and that I had "verbally" given her until the following Friday to turn them in! A blatant LIE, but she had her two best friends all prepared to back her up - never mind that because of the way I had set up their Research Paper contracts, any changes would have to be typed up by me and signed and agreed upon by BOTH OF US. She had no such contract other than our original contract, but because her parents were prepared to get a lawyer involved, the principal (who was a piece of work himself!) immediately caved and forced me to give the girl an extra week to turn in her cards, whereas everyone else was given no such considerations. Having to go into class every day and see this girl's looks of obvious triumph over me will never go away from my mind, and after seeing so many other teachers being abused in a similar manner and having to defend themselves against the word of horrible, lying children just made me lose heart and leave the teaching business for good.

When I was a child, I was told by my parents that "if you get in trouble at school, you're gonna get it double at home!" and told to ALWAYS respect my teachers, so it never occurred to me that people would change so much as to let their children get away with such lies and manipulations, and now I'm watching your show and seeing yet another Texas teacher having to defend herself against the lies of little jerks whose parents are too scared of their own children to force them to tell the truth. Or else they're too scared to face their own failures as parents. I'm aware that yes, some teachers have broken faith with their administrations and with their students by committing such atrocities, but the majority of teachers are just hard-working, low-paid individuals who want to make it through to 4 p.m. and go home so they can try and forget what hell they go through every day dealing with these monsters, and it breaks my heart to see Mrs. Ogletree having to defend herself against a society that would sooner believe the worst of her than to confront the worst in their own children.

Thank you for letting me air this - I've been choking on it for 15 years and am glad to have a chance to let it out. I pray Mrs. Ogletree gets the vindication she sorely deserves.

November 1, 2007, 3:57 pm CDT

Quote From: innocent5

I don't know why that he had to hide his identity when everyone from Glen Rose knows who he is on the show.  All 3 of the boys were all little punks in school and all they wanted was attention.  I believe she is innocent so the town of Glen Rose needs to stop being so stuck up and get over it.
Because it's not just people from Glen Rose who watch this show. I completely understand not wanting to be recognized by strangers for something as horrible as this. Obviously, he's not after attention.

November 1, 2007, 4:00 pm CDT

Teacher or students guilty...

I hope that that this woman is innocent. It is a terrible thing for adults to have sex with children. I am an adult and my brother is 17 and has male friends that are around the same age and I would NEVER allow my self to even thing about situations that could put my job in jeopardy. I do agree with what Joelle said about the message that school boards are sending to students, by favoring what the student says. Where is the proof? Is there any. So far all I have heard is he said she said. There is no physical proof. NOW this teacher has lost her job, what has happened to the teenage students? How are their lives affected? My personal thought is that these two young men are too deep into this lie that they are unable to see what the real truth is. If this teacher did do these things than she deserves to be punished, however if it is found that she is innocent and the two teenage boys who are now men have lied then their lives deserve to be ruined just as they have ruined hers.

November 1, 2007, 4:04 pm CDT

Quote From: raremissy

I think she did it!!  She is so cold and unfeeling.  If she had really been victimized, she would show more emotion.  Just like Phil said!!  AND IF SHE DIDN'T DO IT, WHY WON'T SHE TAKE A POLYGRAPH TEST??

GUILTY AS SIN!!!

Let's take into consideration that this happened some 5 years ago. She is probably all cried out. Have you ever thought that she is trying to get her life back together for her self and her family! I do think that if she has nothing to hide that she should take the polygraph test.

November 1, 2007, 4:04 pm CDT

I agree...

Quote From: sandralynn65

I have coached and been a teachers aide for several years now and let me tell you these kids can sceme up lies you would be embarrassed about and the problem is once they make the lie up and trouble starts brewing it's like they are too scared to recant their story and so they stick to the lie. They stick to it so bad that they almost convince themselves it really did happen. I think they do this because if they admitt that they lied than they would be in so much trouble that it is worth it to go on lying, after all it doesn' affect them.

I will be interested in seeing the rest of the show tomorrow and this boy that comes forward, but the truth is they will flat out lie to your face and look convincing, but the polygraph should say it all. I've seen instances where teachers should be thrown out on their butt where I have worked. Male teachers flirtting with young girls only in 6th, 7th and 8th grade and to top it all off flirtting with the female teachers infront of the students too. (and this guy is married). I see a lot of inappropriate behavior from both students and teachers and it just is mind blowing that people think that it's ok to display this behavior.

The problem is though it is to easy for students to claim something and then rumors start and then they are believed of what happened. I say we need to put a camera in every class room anymore and that way none of this would happen again. It would be ashame to do this but we need to protect both the teachers and the students at this point. After all if a student got a bad grade from a teacher or was turned down for something it would be easy for a student to claim false accusations.

I have to agree on the idea of putting cameras into classrooms. It's awful that it should come to that, but both teachers and students need some sort of backup to prove situations. I don't suggest that they be watched round the clock, but that there should at least be a tape recording that can be looked to should accusations be leveled either direction. As a former teacher, I know it would have made me feel safer at times when I had students that were much bigger and badder than myself, but it would have been good to have a record just in case.

November 1, 2007, 4:10 pm CDT

EXACTLY

Quote From: innocent5

I have a family connection to Glen Rose who agrees with you - these are three little punks who got mad at her for not giving them a good grade or whatever, and so they got back at her by making up a lie that they could back each other up on. The fact that one has recanted pretty much points a finger at the other two that they made it up to hurt Mrs. Ogletree, and I'm sorry her family has had to suffer the way myself and other teachers have had to suffer at the hands of lying little punks. I wish parents would make more of a stand against their own kids and insist they grow up with honesty and honor rather than allow them to sink into the muck of lies and destruction and then set them loose on an unsuspecting world.

First | Prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next | Last