Message Boards

Topic : 06/12 Teacher Sex Scandal, Part 1

Number of Replies: 352
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 26, 2007, 03:01:39 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 11/01/07) Dr. Phil explores a disturbing trend: Female teachers engaging in sex acts with their underage male students. The number of accusations has doubled in the past five years. You've probably heard of famous cases like Mary Kay Letourneau, and Debra LaFave and the recent case of a teacher in Southern California, Meredith Johnson Vincent, who was arrested on suspicion of having a sexual relationship with a 14-year-old boy. Dr. Phil meets one teacher who has chosen to fight back. Joelle Ogletree was a respected high school French teacher until she was accused of sexual misconduct by three of her students. Find out what goes through a mother's head as she faces 160 years in prison. Plus, the Dr. Phil show speaks with one of the boys who says the sexual improprieties absolutely did happen and claims he passed a polygraph examination. When he agrees to take another test for Dr. Phil, what do his answers reveal? Joelle has been banned from even volunteering at her daughter's school because of the accusations. Should she be allowed back in the classroom? Watch and decide: Do you believe her ... or her students? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 28, 2007, 7:54 am CDT

LAST THING

FOR ALL TO THINK ITS OK

OR YOU THE SAME SET OF PEOPLE WHO WILL GIVE KIDS

THE BOOZE AN THE PLACE TO DRINK IT

BEIND THE OTHER PARNETS BACK ALSO

JUST ASKING SEEMS LIKE IT WOULD GO THAT WAY

ITS JUST A TRUST ISSUE HERE

October 28, 2007, 1:00 pm CDT

Fair Trial

I think we need to be real careful about automatically condemning the teacher before it is proven they committed the crime.  I know there are teachers out there that commit these felon acts with children, but there are also some that have lost their careers because a child decided to “get even”.

As a teacher, I have to now be REAL careful about being alone in a classroom alone with a student.  Used to it was perfectly acceptable to have a student come in for help after school – but now it is way too scary. That is sad because the student suffers.

Children are different now and by this statement, I mean SOME not ALL.  There is less respect and support for teachers many times at the parent level.  If we do something that the child doesn’t like then we experience “the attitude”. Some even threaten to get even.  

I know of a wonderful teacher that was falsely accused by a student of sexual misconduct.  It was proven that she did nothing wrong, but her career is over. She is in thousands of dollars of debt from attorney fees, was removed from her classroom, and her reputation ruined, and career virtually over as a teacher.  What can she use her teaching degree for now? – so she is also out all the money for her education as well.

All because this student was mad about a decision that she made and decided to get even. The parents don’t have the money to repay her for her attorney costs and what can they do to the child to punish them for destroying her career?  Boot him out of school for the rest of his life – not likely.

This is a real serious situation that teachers are facing. There needs to be some guidelines set before a teacher is automatically condemned and looses everything over a false accusation. For those that do commit this type of crime, then they need to loose everything. They are an embarrassment to our profession.  

October 28, 2007, 1:20 pm CDT

Sex with teachers

Although I adamantly disagree with the sexual relationships between teachers and their young students. I am curious to hear from the boy in Florida who, a couple of years ago, had a sexual relationship with a very sexy, blonde bombshell teacher. After seeing some sexual  pictures of her on the news and then hearing the boys mother say she wouldn't allow him to testify because he was already traumatized enough, I wondered if maybe the "trauma" she wasconcerned about was his permanent smile. I AM NOT SAYING IT WAS OKAY!!!!! I AM JUST WONDERING WHY A PARENT WOULD NOT ENCOURAGE HER CHILD TO TESTIFY ABOUT SUCH A MISUSE OF SOMEONE'S POSITION TO OBTAIN SEX FROM A CHILD!!!!!????? I have always considered that sexual abuse!

October 28, 2007, 7:50 pm CDT

11/01 Teacher Sex Scandal, Pt. 1

Quote From: laineyloo

I just think it is sick to think of being attracted to an underage child.  I have a sixteen year old child and I am 37 and could not imagine being interested in someone my son's age or younger.  I think they need to find someone more around their age and definately not someone under the age of 18.

OMG, I couldn't imagine a young man of 22, that's my eldest son's age and I'm only 38, so anyone 18 (my daughter's age ) or younger is just too gross to me.

I wonder though, the people who say "Boys think about sex all the time " or "Boys will be Boys" if it was their son, would they feel the same way ? And if it was a MALE teacher with a female student, I would Bet the rent they would be SCREAMING for his BLOOD, why does a PENIS, yes I will say PENIS, make a person sooo special that we Mothers, wives, etc. have to control it for them, and why do we accept the women who perpetuate the myth that women are somehow out of our control of our own sexuality ?

I submit, that the women who like the child- boys are the same as the MEN who like the women-girls, they want and NEED CONTROL, both SHOULD be registered as SEX OFFENDERS, BOTH men and women ADULTS stay the HELL out of the High Schools, the ADULTS are responsible and NEED to be held accoutable, and the double standard between boys and girls NEEDS to be forgotten (teen GIRLS think about having sex as well people HELLO, and they act on it as well ),  we as women have to STOP thinking of ourselves as the keepers of MORALITY.

I guess having sons and being protective of them as well as my daughter, maybe being a victim of sexual assault has left me hypersensitive, but if its RAPE for a man then its RAPE for a woman as well, adults, stop trolling the HIGH SCHOOLS, if you are TOO insecure to have a relationship with one of your PEERS, then get counselling.

October 28, 2007, 8:30 pm CDT

False accusations

One point to be made, a teacher doesn't have to be alone in the classroom with a student for the false accusation to be made.  Today an accusation is all that is needed for charges to be brought, and a teacher's life to be ruined.

Then, like in many of these postings, guilt is automatically assumed.  One poster said "jail her".  Maybe it should be "jail him", the student, for false statements to law officials. 

October 29, 2007, 5:14 am CDT

TEACHERS HAVING SEX WITH THEIR STUDENTS

I find this very upsetting. When I was in school over thirty years ago this did not happen. At least it was not made public as it is today. Plain and simply put this is child molestation. How can a grown adult find any child under the legal age sexually attractive? What has happened to family values in this country? I say that our government has taken away the rights of the parents so much that it has put our children at a far greater risk. We as parents can not spank our child or they are taken away from us. The police will remove a child from the home for what they THINK is abuse but do nothing when the child's teacher is having sex with them. What is wrong with this picture? A teaching in Florida was not put in jail after being convicted of having sex with her 15 year old student because "she was to pretty to be in jail." Dr Phil please help our children to be safe at home, school, and in the church. Thank You,

Mikeshog

October 29, 2007, 8:24 am CDT

11/01 Teacher Sex Scandal, Pt. 1

Quote From: mikeshog

I find this very upsetting. When I was in school over thirty years ago this did not happen. At least it was not made public as it is today. Plain and simply put this is child molestation. How can a grown adult find any child under the legal age sexually attractive? What has happened to family values in this country? I say that our government has taken away the rights of the parents so much that it has put our children at a far greater risk. We as parents can not spank our child or they are taken away from us. The police will remove a child from the home for what they THINK is abuse but do nothing when the child's teacher is having sex with them. What is wrong with this picture? A teaching in Florida was not put in jail after being convicted of having sex with her 15 year old student because "she was to pretty to be in jail." Dr Phil please help our children to be safe at home, school, and in the church. Thank You,

Mikeshog

Maybe this didn't happen where you went ot school or you were not aware of it, but I've been out of high school for over 35 years and I knew of two teachers at my school who had relationships with students.  Or at least that was the gossip at school. May not have been true... I never witnessed it firsthand.  Oh and both teachers were young women.

October 29, 2007, 8:35 am CDT

Washinton State

If you have read the paper on Washington State ,for whatever reason the state has had it's share of this problem, especially on the south end of our school system.

MaryLee Laturneau

http://www.crimelibrary.com/criminal_mind/psychology/marykay_letourneau/1.html

being our most infamous case to date. This state however has had many more and we have had so many , we often wonder as to what is in the water supply.

No student should be left alone in a classroome with any teacher without another adult present ,anymore

No child should ever go to a teachers home to study or get extra help at all

IF the teacher feels the need to help he'/she should go to the students home with the parent there and "HELP" tutor the student.

This protects the teacher and the student and there is no question as to what has happened  or what has NOT happened.

We have had two cases so far of students getting angry at teachers  for bad grades and being removed from sports for bad grades. ANGER in a minors mind is and going through puberty can ruin a teacher in their peer group and still cause doubt no matter what.

They can stay at their jobs but at what cost? the student is re-located , but who wants the kid at their school after that stunt? I would not want to have that kid anywhere close to me at all.

In the case of a guilty teacher they are never allowed to teach anywhere again , we hope. Some do go to other states and are not traceable.That is why I suggest the control of  parental tutoring in the home and never at school or at a teachers home.

October 30, 2007, 9:08 am CDT

Ridiculous

Quote From: sableyes

A teacher / student  (regardless of whether it's a male OR female teacher)  relationship - sexual or otherwise, outside the classroom should definitely be off limits!!   But 160 years of prison time for punishment  is ridiculous!  That's what murderers would face.    Unbelievable what our world has come to.  Ridiculous behavior, ridiculous laws, ridiculous punishments (Or lack of punishment when it's needed.)       

My only comment is that you can kill your wife and get 30 years.  Men rape children and get put on a list.

Women fool around and get 160 years.  Doesn't make much sense to me.  This definately is a man's world.

October 31, 2007, 6:06 am CDT

This is wrong!!!

I'm from  SC and it's happening here like crazy. Just last year to teachers in the same school district were charged with sexual misbehaviors with a child, they both were women. One of them is charged with having sex with her 5th grade students. That's just SICK!!!I'm going to college to become a teacher and I can't imagine being attracted to one of my students. It doesn't matter if its a male or female teachers it's wrong!!!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last