Message Boards

Topic : 06/12 Teacher Sex Scandal, Part 1

Number of Replies: 352
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 26, 2007, 03:01:39 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 11/01/07) Dr. Phil explores a disturbing trend: Female teachers engaging in sex acts with their underage male students. The number of accusations has doubled in the past five years. You've probably heard of famous cases like Mary Kay Letourneau, and Debra LaFave and the recent case of a teacher in Southern California, Meredith Johnson Vincent, who was arrested on suspicion of having a sexual relationship with a 14-year-old boy. Dr. Phil meets one teacher who has chosen to fight back. Joelle Ogletree was a respected high school French teacher until she was accused of sexual misconduct by three of her students. Find out what goes through a mother's head as she faces 160 years in prison. Plus, the Dr. Phil show speaks with one of the boys who says the sexual improprieties absolutely did happen and claims he passed a polygraph examination. When he agrees to take another test for Dr. Phil, what do his answers reveal? Joelle has been banned from even volunteering at her daughter's school because of the accusations. Should she be allowed back in the classroom? Watch and decide: Do you believe her ... or her students? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 31, 2007, 8:03 pm CDT

11/01 Teacher Sex Scandal, Pt. 1

Quote From: candacep08

I'm from  SC and it's happening here like crazy. Just last year to teachers in the same school district were charged with sexual misbehaviors with a child, they both were women. One of them is charged with having sex with her 5th grade students. That's just SICK!!!I'm going to college to become a teacher and I can't imagine being attracted to one of my students. It doesn't matter if its a male or female teachers it's wrong!!!

I am trying to understand what anyone would see in a child, a 5th grade kid?

I believe if a teacher touched my child ya all would have to hold me down for years.

Maybe the second coming might have to happen at that point , because I would lose my mind.

In otherwrods, there would be no trial.

October 31, 2007, 11:28 pm CDT

Appauling behavour

Im from Australia I believe the Australia and American judicial system is out of step with reality and the real world. Judges need to get in touch with reality. Especially in Australian because their not elected to the bench here, they don’t know what’s it like living in the real world. 160 years for a woman fooling around, its just as bad as the Nigerian government when they tried to kill a Muslim lady for committing adultery. Is it me, or is the united state government sexiest, and hypocritical. When the lady from Nigeria was going to be stoned to death there was up roar. 160 for statutory rape, or what ever you want to call it is weird to say the least. I was reading a weekly magazine just yesterday that in Australia a lady got a 15 month suspended sentences for sexually molesting a 14-15 year old boy. If it were a man he would have gotten a jail sentence.

Two civilized western countries on two different pages. One thinks its ok for a lady to have sex with a minor and another thinks it worse than a man molesting his daughter. It’s disgraceful and pathetic.

It reminds me of judge who stated some 11 years ago, no means maybe, maybe means yes and yes means you aint no lady.

It’s time the judicial system woke up to itself, in Australian courtroom the victim isn’t even referred to by there name, there referred to as ‘the victim.’ It hide time that victim were allowed to voice there emotional feelings rather than just of an account of what happened to them, there treated like witnesses rather than victim who in the case of sexual assault, their lives have forever changed.

November 1, 2007, 3:09 am CDT

Criminal Minds

I think its disgusting and horrific that this abuse is happening in our world. Whether the teacher is a female or male they have manipulated their positon as a teacher by faking their role as a teacher who is supposed to be there for their students in academic wise, teaching them and preparing them for further studies and for the future that lies ahead whether they choose to go to university or just simply choose to work.  Instead they try and most succeed to gain and pursue their sexual fantasies. Shouldnt those teachers who commit this grossly act be classified as pedophiles ?

I BELIEVE that such predators should be publicly listed as parents can be  made aware of their behaviour so we can protect our children from falling into their mind playing, manipulative, seductive traps if should the law let us down and release them on some good behaviour bond or some form of community services instead of serving a resonable jail term for their crime. As a mother of 3, i would certainly be wary of any teacher that teaches my child and would want a full police check to be done and presented to each family of the students before they commence that year of school regardless what grade they are in.

November 1, 2007, 4:11 am CDT

protect the kids

I was abused as a child. I knew it was wrong, yet was developing so felt aroused. Adults are responsible for their actions and should control their emotions. A child will grow into an adult  who is deeply insecure and guilt ridden, i know from experience. Protect ur kids. It was a neighbour, family member AND a family friend for me.

November 1, 2007, 7:38 am CDT

While I believe that some of this may occur.  We have to ask ourselves how much of it is nothing more than a modern day witch hunt.  Our kids are learning about sex at an earlier age that generates curiosity.   The outlet for the curiosity is fantasy dreaming.  How much of this goes from that to real life?  Boys have to outdo their peers, so how easy is it to turn fantasy into reality.  What boy wants to admit he lied and look vary bad in front of his peers?  Most of them would rather save face and push the lie until it can be proven that they are lying.    The morality level in children these days are lower than previous generations.  There is no fear of repercussion for lying, accusing, etc.  Also, we should consider some of it as a revenge thing.  maybe they didn't get the grade they wanted or felt they deserved.  Maybe the teacher embarrassed them in front of the class.  Maybe they got one to many detentions.  More than likely it's the outdo your friend thing.  Another take is that we also train our children at an early age about inappropriate touching and spend a lot of time looking for signs of abuse.  In some extreme cases, parents grill their children so hard that the child admits the abuse in order to get the parent to stop harrassing them. Just giving another point of view.

November 1, 2007, 7:43 am CDT

Money Talks!!

Dr. Phil:

If you read this, I think the Teachers Lawyers have made a grave error in not letting her take the Polygraph test!

The Boy took it thinking the payoff from his parents would translate to a Al's clear in his favor on your show.

After the woman saw he had taken the test and passed it before, she should have taken it and passed it on your show to add more substance to her claims!!

Personally I think she's innocent as I've seen this sort of behavior before when I was in high school as to make the teachers give them passing grades and the such, but that was a long time ago and I thought times would change! Well they have as to ruin a persons life and future and career!! Very seldom did you see anything go this far without someone backing out and telling the truth!!

Just think what these boys will be capable of when they are true adults maybe in Government of police or someone of authority!! SCARY HUH!!

Fm. ShowStudier

November 1, 2007, 9:27 am CDT

She's Been Proven Innocent

This woman has been cleared of all charges against her - what part of that are y'all missing?  And at least one of her accusers has been found to be deceptive in his accusations.  What part of that are y'all missing? 

Certainly, instances of abuse by educators, care-givers and even parents of children goes on every single day.  If we knew the exact numbers I'm sure we'd all be dumbfounded.  That's why false accusations are so very damaging.  Here's the thing - when people cry wolf - everyone gets hurt in the end - especially the one doing the crying.  The burden of proof ends up falling on the falsely accused party - and in way too many cases, this one included - even if the individual(s) is exhonorated 100% of the false claims against them, the damage done by the accusation can destroy them in so many ways - financially, emotionally, career-wise ... it can ruin relationships, reputations, families.  And in so many cases of false accusation - there's no redress - the accuser basically gets away with destroying someone's life - or at the very least - damaging it horribly.

Crying wolf also casts a pall of doubt on those who are truly being abused.  It makes it far more difficult for real victims to come forward and be believed.  It makes it far more difficult for law enforcement and the justice system to pursue and punish perpetrators.  It's a drain on so many resources and it muddies and confounds already strained systems.

My personal opinion as a parent of a grown son and a current teen-age son is that teen-agers have a tough row to hoe.  Their brains aren't fully formed and they often make completely hairbrained choices without regard for the consequences - they do things out of spite, or revenge, just to test their own power or to see the reaction and fallout of their actions and choices.  Mercifully for many of them, their stupid choices aren't big enough to do more than teach them a valuable lesson and not marr them for life.  Sadly - many of them are making bad choices the long-term ramifications of which they cannot even, with their undeveloped, pea brains, fathom.

Obviously the boy in this story thought his French teacher was hot.  He's certainly not the first, nor will he be the last, adolescent male with unbridled hormones and wild lustful fantasies swimming around in his unfinished brain and body.  Nor would he be the first or last young man to fabricate his fantasies into wild, boastful tales to his friends.  Even some of the first responses here are from males who confirm this very thing.  Generally when people are called on their lies - fanciful or  not - the most common reaction is to defend the lie so as not to be humiliated.  When young people, from fine, upstanding families (at least image-wise) are caught in these tales - it becomes imparative to them to save face with their parents, family, friends - the community.

In some families - particularly, I think socially visible ones - the tendency is to save face at all costs - which in turn blows some very benign incidents or "stories" to monsterous proportions.  I also think in some instances,  families of this sort - or at least individuals within the families - like all the chaos, drama and attention they get from being the victim - with absolutely no consideration for the real truth or damage inflicted on the real victims.

Clearly - in cases like this one there are two people - and only two people - who know the truth.  In every case someone is being damaged for a lifetime - if not both parties.  The rest of us are left to figure out who is telling the truth - because clearly whoever is lying isn't coming forward.  Polygraph tests, legal proceedings and other means of determining the truth are merely poor substitutes for the real thing.  In this case - the legal findings are in favor of the accused.  That's supposed to mean something - but the fact that her former employer continues to defame her and support her accusers - clearly shows a legal finding can mean nothing.

I find all cases like this not only exceedingly frustrating and maddening - but a very sad commentary on our society in general.  Someone here is lying to save their own skin and cover their own misdeeds and poor choices - and in so doing have dragged so many people through so much unnecessary anguish and anger.  If the accusers are being truthful - this woman and other perpetrators like her - are seriously twisted, sick individuals in need of punishment, help and monitoring.  If the accused is being truthful, then her life, reputation, health and well-being, relationships and career have been nearly destroyed by lies and coverups - and in the end, her accusers will be the ones to really pay with a lifetime of guilt and more lies.

But to me - to bash someone who's been proven innocent in court and may, in fact, really be innocent and who has had their life turned upside down may just be perpetuating a lie.  We can have our opinions and guesses about who's telling the truth - but unless and until someone steps up and tells the real truth - we're all just armchair judges watching yet another preventable tragedy unfold.

November 1, 2007, 9:48 am CDT

Christian?

If I was a parent of one of the boys then I would be extremely concerned about their salvation. It' s one thing to believe in God and go to church, but its another to behave in a  way that contradicts that. If the kid is telling the truth and he know in his heart what happened, so be it. But if you took an action whether it be lying, stealing, murder that negatively affected someone's life, I don't think God will consider an apology to him in the form of a silent prayer as making things right. You made the allegations publicly, you need to make amends publicly. The shame of telling the truth now in no way compares with the judgement you will face in front of God. That goes both ways so if the teacher is not telling the truth, it is on her. I must say however that I found her very convincing and she took a stupid gamble if she is responsible for this and she forfeited the plea deal that she did.

I think its good that the parents believed their children and stood by them. But if what Ms. Olgetree is saying is true, then the parents should have been asking hard questions before the situation came to the point it did.

November 1, 2007, 9:53 am CDT

stop and think

Quote From: damara1210

There is no excuse for having any type of relationship with a student. Teachers are teachers of school work. Sex Education is for the parents to teach, and you so not ever engage in it with a minor child for any reason. Sick Sick people, and I think this would not have happen if the first case had been treated with very harsh puinshment like they do with men. These women need their rights as parents totally and forever removed from them. They should never be allowed near anything younger than 21 years old, PERIOD.

Slow down and get the facts first.  When you shot and ask questions later, an innocent person could be hurt.  Teenagers are strange creatures.  They seem all grown up, but they are really toddlers inside bigger bodies.  Many times they do and say things without fully understanding the consequences.  That doesn't mean we disregard them, just proceed with caution! 

I agree that people who have sexual encounters with minors are sick.  All I am saying, before you get your torch and pitchfork, and collect a mob of townsfolk, get the all facts and evidence in order. 

At this rate, if a school board fires a teacher on unproven allegations, teachers don't stand a chance against disgruntal students.

November 1, 2007, 10:07 am CDT

Quilty or innocent, cleared of the charges or not, this teacher has sued the school system. Is it any  wonder they don't want her working  there, even as a volunteer, while  this law-suit is still pending? They've probably received legal advice against letting her work for them, in any capacity, until the law-suit is settled. It's a wonder she hasn't received the same advice from her own legal counsel.  Working for someone you're suing, especially in a volunterr capacity, seems like a major conflict of interest.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last