Message Boards

Topic : 06/12 Teacher Sex Scandal, Part 1

Number of Replies: 352
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 26, 2007, 03:01:39 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 11/01/07) Dr. Phil explores a disturbing trend: Female teachers engaging in sex acts with their underage male students. The number of accusations has doubled in the past five years. You've probably heard of famous cases like Mary Kay Letourneau, and Debra LaFave and the recent case of a teacher in Southern California, Meredith Johnson Vincent, who was arrested on suspicion of having a sexual relationship with a 14-year-old boy. Dr. Phil meets one teacher who has chosen to fight back. Joelle Ogletree was a respected high school French teacher until she was accused of sexual misconduct by three of her students. Find out what goes through a mother's head as she faces 160 years in prison. Plus, the Dr. Phil show speaks with one of the boys who says the sexual improprieties absolutely did happen and claims he passed a polygraph examination. When he agrees to take another test for Dr. Phil, what do his answers reveal? Joelle has been banned from even volunteering at her daughter's school because of the accusations. Should she be allowed back in the classroom? Watch and decide: Do you believe her ... or her students? Tell us what you think!

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 1, 2007, 10:12 am CDT

PERSONALITY DISORDERS IN CHILDREN AND ADOLESCENTS

While personality disorders traditionally have been conceptualized only in adults, it is not uncommon to encounter children and adolescents with the classic diagnostic signs. Youngsters with personality disorders may come across as strikingly arrogant, defiant, and manipulative, yet their demeanor typically masks devastating experiences of vulnerability and pain.  Some of my favorite books that provide a great introduction and insight are: 

Treating Personality Disorders in Children and Adolescents:  A Relational Approach by Efrain Bleiberg OR Without Conscience:  The Disturbing World of the Psychopaths Among Us by Robert Hare

Emotional Blackmail:  When the People in Your Life Use Fear, Obligation and Guilt to Manipulate You by Susan Forward AND Why is it Always About You?:  The Seven Deadly Sins of Narcissism by Sandy Hotchkiss OR Surviving a Borderline Parent:  How to Heal Your Childhood Wounds & Build Trust, Boundaries and Self-Esteem by Kimberlee Roth and Freda Friedman

Aggression in Personality Disorders and Perversions by Otto Kernberg OR The Psychology of Lust Murder:  Paraphilia, Sexual Killing, and Serial Homicide by Catherine Purcell and Bruce Arrigo

Getting Help:  The Complete and Authoritative Guide to Self-Assessment and Treatment of Mental Health Problems by Jeffrey Wood OR Healing Anxiety and Depression (7 types of anxiety and depression) by Daniel Amen and Lisa Routh

How to Journal for Therapy:

http://arar.essortment.com/therapyjournali_repu.htm 

The best hope for prevention of personality disorders in children lies with parents and other caregivers who are close to children during the early preschool years. Parents must be able to demonstrate empathy and validation in their interactions with the child and with each other. They must also be able to show that they love their children for who they are, not for their appearance, their achievements or their ability to win affection.  And they must focus their parenting efforts on meeting the child's changing needs as he or she matures through the different levels of emotional development during childhood, adolescence and into adulthood.

Hope it helps! 

November 1, 2007, 10:18 am CDT

Do I believe her????

100 percent!~

My mother was a teacher for over 28 years and my father was on the board of education, (and)

I CANNOT BELIEVE that this school district will not allow her back in the classroom,   nor allow her to do free work at her kids school!

WAKE UP AMERICA  this is that school district's way of not paying up  it's all about the GOD ALMIGHTY DOLLAR   $$$$$$$>>>>>>that this teacher is entitled to and this is the reason why she isn't allowed back! 

I agree steps should have been taken to remove her from the classroom UNTIL the court system and charges all were cleared!  NOW THEY ARE and they do not know HOW to let her back.  They are at a stalemate because LAWYERS ARE INVOLVED NOW AND THAT DISTRICT SHOULD PAY THIS WOMAN AND HER FAMILY  MILLIONS OF DOLLARS!  Or settle before it goes to court.

If I were you  start getting this issue cleared up!  TEACHER WITH THE $$$$ You will be getting I hope YOU WILL NOT GO BACK TO THIS  district and teach!  Go to a private school or better yet write a book about this then go on speaking engagements to various colleges and warn future teachers as to what you went threw!  RECLAIM YOURSELF GIRL!  YOUR NOT TARNISHED ANYMORE  anyone who watched today can see what liars these kids were!

November 1, 2007, 11:35 am CDT

Do YOU believe her?

While watching the show today, I was trying to figure out whether or not this woman was telling the truth.  I have not decided yet which party I believe is lying, but the situation scares me a bit.  I just graduated college with my teaching license in middle & high school social studies and I can relate to being a young teacher with adolescent boys as students.  I have had students innocently flirt with me, and it makes me wonder -what if one of them decided to make up a story that I had been sexually inappropriate with them?  It would be their word against mine.  IF YOU ARE INNOCENT, JOELLE, KEEP YOUR HEAD UP.  .  .  the truth will come out.  .  .  IF YOU ARE GUILTY, then shame on you.  You shouldn't have allowed yourself to be tempted by a 14 year old boy.  I'm excited to see more on tomorrow's show!

November 1, 2007, 12:03 pm CDT

Get rid of her

She is the 2nd teacher with in 3 years that has been fired from the Glen Rose district for having inappropriate relations with a student.  That teacher went on his way and she should too.

Just because she spent a bunch of money on a high priced lawyer to get her acquited does not mean she's innocent.  For example, we all know OJ is guilty for a double murder, but he was found not guilty in a court of law due to her expensive defense team.  Money can and will get you out of most any jam.

November 1, 2007, 12:16 pm CDT

NEVER EVER OK

Quote From: heidimarie5857

While watching the show today, I was trying to figure out whether or not this woman was telling the truth.  I have not decided yet which party I believe is lying, but the situation scares me a bit.  I just graduated college with my teaching license in middle & high school social studies and I can relate to being a young teacher with adolescent boys as students.  I have had students innocently flirt with me, and it makes me wonder -what if one of them decided to make up a story that I had been sexually inappropriate with them?  It would be their word against mine.  IF YOU ARE INNOCENT, JOELLE, KEEP YOUR HEAD UP.  .  .  the truth will come out.  .  .  IF YOU ARE GUILTY, then shame on you.  You shouldn't have allowed yourself to be tempted by a 14 year old boy.  I'm excited to see more on tomorrow's show!

I have been out of the full-time classroom for 7 years. When I first stated teaching high school (in my mid 20's), I was approached by quite a few teen boys. One, in particular, was 17, rugged, handsome and DETERMINED to date me, even though I was his teacher and I was married. He persued me before and after classes. Was I flattered? Sort of. Would it have been acceptable to give in to lust? DEFINITELY NOT. There's NEVER an excuse for a teacher crossing that line!!!

We teachers are entrusted with the care, well-being and minds of young people. We owe it to them and to their parents to be the responsible, professional adults we are paid to be. When we cross the line, we need to lose our teaching licenses for LIFE (nationally).

As teachers, we are looked up to and we can manipulate. We have all the power. Teachers who cross the line KNOW that what they are doing is both morally and legally wrong. Again, there is NEVER a justified excuse for crossing that line.

If this teacher is indeed guilty, she needs to be in PRISON! It makes NO DIFFERENCE if a young person is "willing." Children do not have the moral and legal capacity to consent to power figures! If she (or anyone) ever PREYED upon MY children, I would be the squeaky wheel that gets the grease! And I wouldn't stop until the predator was behind bars!!!

November 1, 2007, 12:21 pm CDT

Teacher Sex is more common than U know!

Quote From: myrbeach1

While I believe that some of this may occur.  We have to ask ourselves how much of it is nothing more than a modern day witch hunt.  Our kids are learning about sex at an earlier age that generates curiosity.   The outlet for the curiosity is fantasy dreaming.  How much of this goes from that to real life?  Boys have to outdo their peers, so how easy is it to turn fantasy into reality.  What boy wants to admit he lied and look vary bad in front of his peers?  Most of them would rather save face and push the lie until it can be proven that they are lying.    The morality level in children these days are lower than previous generations.  There is no fear of repercussion for lying, accusing, etc.  Also, we should consider some of it as a revenge thing.  maybe they didn't get the grade they wanted or felt they deserved.  Maybe the teacher embarrassed them in front of the class.  Maybe they got one to many detentions.  More than likely it's the outdo your friend thing.  Another take is that we also train our children at an early age about inappropriate touching and spend a lot of time looking for signs of abuse.  In some extreme cases, parents grill their children so hard that the child admits the abuse in order to get the parent to stop harrassing them. Just giving another point of view.

I've taught in 3 high schools and 2 middle schools during my 9 years of full-time teaching. There was a teacher having SEX with a student in all of those schools. And I would venture to guess that those 5 teachers are just the ones that we all knew about!!!

Sex with students is MORE common than we would like to believe. And in our messed up world, it seems to be getting a "pass," especially when the teacher is female, the student is male and the teacher is young and pretty.

We're going down a slippery slope when we excuse immoral (and often illegal) behavior! If we can't trust teachers with our children, we may soon all be homeschooling!

November 1, 2007, 12:26 pm CDT

Don't be so sure...

Quote From: showstudier

Dr. Phil:

If you read this, I think the Teachers Lawyers have made a grave error in not letting her take the Polygraph test!

The Boy took it thinking the payoff from his parents would translate to a Al's clear in his favor on your show.

After the woman saw he had taken the test and passed it before, she should have taken it and passed it on your show to add more substance to her claims!!

Personally I think she's innocent as I've seen this sort of behavior before when I was in high school as to make the teachers give them passing grades and the such, but that was a long time ago and I thought times would change! Well they have as to ruin a persons life and future and career!! Very seldom did you see anything go this far without someone backing out and telling the truth!!

Just think what these boys will be capable of when they are true adults maybe in Government of police or someone of authority!! SCARY HUH!!

Fm. ShowStudier

It's not easy to pass a lie detector test BOTH TIMES one has taken it. That speaks volumes.

But any good lawyer would tell his client NOT to take the test, even if innocent.

Since the boy had already passed the test, the woman is obviously not too sharp for appearing on national television. To me, that signals that she has problems. That doesn't mean she IS guilty, but it leads to suspicions that she may very well be...

More often than not, these allegations are TRUE. The police have already conducted a full investigation before charges are filed. They interview both parties, co-workers, other students, any witnesses, etc. When charges are filed, it's usually because both the police and the district atty believe they have a case!

November 1, 2007, 12:26 pm CDT

11/01 Teacher Sex Scandal, Pt. 1

Quote From: longwalker

If you are stating your opinion and you are not being totally facetious, then you are one sick individual. I can guarantee you that it is not every boy or girl's dream to have sex with their teachers. Most kids are raised with better morals than that for one thing. That is not to say that kids don't have crushes on their teachers, but they don't fantasize about sex. Most kids would wish for the floor to open up and swallow them whole if the teacher they have the crush on were to so much as try to talk to them alone. I graduated from school in 1968. All but one of the teachers that I had during 12 years of school were married with kids. And since we were at the most 17 when we graduated, we thought all of our teachers were "old". Who in their right mind would want to do something with your "old" teacher? Your are not " a man at 25". For some reason, you are stuck in the past. And wasting your time reviving fantasies from your childhood. You need to grow up.
Well I graduated in 1969, and there were two female teachers at my school who, according to gossip had affairs with students. Both of these teachers were young and single.  I can't say for sure that it was true though, since I personally never saw  anything.

November 1, 2007, 12:30 pm CDT

Time has not changed this...

Quote From: showstudier

Dr. Phil:

If you read this, I think the Teachers Lawyers have made a grave error in not letting her take the Polygraph test!

The Boy took it thinking the payoff from his parents would translate to a Al's clear in his favor on your show.

After the woman saw he had taken the test and passed it before, she should have taken it and passed it on your show to add more substance to her claims!!

Personally I think she's innocent as I've seen this sort of behavior before when I was in high school as to make the teachers give them passing grades and the such, but that was a long time ago and I thought times would change! Well they have as to ruin a persons life and future and career!! Very seldom did you see anything go this far without someone backing out and telling the truth!!

Just think what these boys will be capable of when they are true adults maybe in Government of police or someone of authority!! SCARY HUH!!

Fm. ShowStudier

As ShowStudier said... "I've seen this sort of behavior before when I was in high school..." It's been 30 years since I graduated and it went on when I was in high school. It just wasn't publicized and out in the open. When I graduated the teacher we all knew about, was still there. Probably meeting the football team after class and during the day in the "little theater". No one wanted to embarass the family back then. Keep it quiet. Now it is about money and lawyers. Time doesn't change anything.

November 1, 2007, 12:39 pm CDT

Accusations

I was a teacher .

I started looking for another job the day that a six year old said "If you don't let me [play when I wanted him to sit still] I'll tell the Principal you touched my bum and you'll get fired."

Was he right? You bet.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last