Message Boards

Topic : 06/13 Teacher Sex Scandal, Part 2

Number of Replies: 2643
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 26, 2007, 03:02:37 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 11/02/07) Dr. Phil continues his look at a teacher sex scandal that has a school and families divided in a small town in Texas. High school teacher Joelle Ogletree faces accusations of sexual misconduct with some of her male students. Joelle claims she's completely innocent but reluctantly agrees to face Matt, one of her accusers, in person. When Dr. Phil drills down into the details of the case, it's her word against his. Matt maintains that when Joelle was his high school French teacher, she came on to him. He says that as a student he received sexually explicit notes from her, but that the notes were written in code. See the encrypted messages and judge for yourself: Are they provocative or harmless? Then hear how Joelle and Matt interpret them. Plus, Matt agreed to take a polygraph test and have the results reviewed by an independent examiner. Find out what the test reveals and how Matt reacts when he hears them read aloud, as he sits face to face with Joelle. Hear both sides of this gripping sex scandal from the accuser and the accused, and judge for yourself if justice has been served. Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

June 19, 2008, 8:32 pm CDT

06/13 Teacher Sex Scandal, Part 2

Quote From: vonyoung

I also think hysterical is a strong word, he did not get hysterical but you could clearly see that his emotions changed.  He was bringing up her past which was to take attention from the point at hand; are you lying or not.  Why would her husband come on national tv and make a spectacle of himself.  I saw the concern on his face for the truth.  What was not said was how the student found out that she married her high school teacher.  Was this something she brought up in class or was it something that came out in court to discredit her.
When you live in a town with a population of a little under 3000, you know these kinds of things!  :)

June 19, 2008, 8:36 pm CDT

Update

Quote From: junehilde

This show originally aired 8 months ago.  It would be nice to know what the progress has been on the lawsuit against the school division.,  How about an update??

I would imagine that Joelle has spent many, many hours over the past 6 years being very emotional.  Phil made it seem like there was something wrong with her because she could now talk about it relatively calmly.

As for the cryptic notes.  In these days of texting, abbreviated words are the norm.  Perhaps Texas (?) was just ahead of this learning curve.

Matt is a real piece of work.  This poor little Christian boy sees himself as so appealing that a competent, beautiful  teacher, wife, and mother just couldn't keep her hands off him.  In your dreams Matt.

Bravo to the boy who recanted his story.  How difficult that must have been for him.  That showed a lot of maturity and courage to admit to his lies. 

Teachers are very vulnerable, especially with students like Matt. 

On a somewhat related theme.  Wayne Gretzky has always protected himself from possible scandal.  For example, if he is alone in an elevator and a lone woman gets on, Wayne will leave the elevator.  He never allows him self to be in a position where he is alone with a woman who might later make accusations.

We live in a very skewed world.

There is still a lawsuit going on.  She is suing the school district for 1 million dollars. 

June 19, 2008, 8:42 pm CDT

Quote From: sharonmn

How did this now 24 year old man find out that Joelle had married her one  time teacher?  Did anyone stop to think that she could have finished two years of college in high school and then married her husband after high school and even college putting them only 2-3 years difference in age?  When I was a freshman I dated a Senior and we continued to date for another six years until I went out of state for my last two years of college.  We were four years difference in age.  No one was condeming either of us for "being in love" in high school.
Like I have said before........small town.  You know everyone, including when Joelle graduated and who her teachers were.

June 19, 2008, 8:51 pm CDT

Quote From: murnah

It looks like she's his first big hit in the conning business. He got to be on The Dr Phil Show right out of high school because of her.

He was good at conning until proved to be a complete liar. Are we sure he isn't a thirty-five year old masquerading in the body of a teenager.
He is not a teenager any more.  Did you watch the show?  This incident happened 6 years ago.  AND, he did not ask to be on the Dr. Phil show.

June 19, 2008, 9:32 pm CDT

Quote From: jewelsf

First of all when the piano was moved her husband WAS in attendance. And it wasn't slave labor, they were taking the kids out to dinner after wards. I don't see a problem with it. And when it comes to the car situation where she drove him to get his migraine med's, and they supposedly had a form of sex, doesn't anyone think about the fact that this boy supposedly had a migraine? If you suffer from these as I do you would know that there is NO possible way for anyone no matter what age to be able to become sexually aroused. It's impossible! I also lived in a small town for awhile and people develop small town mentalities. I think you are one of these people, small town , small mind.

P.S. I am also the type of woman who would take a teen boy home to get some much needed med's, I would do this because I am a person who cares. It's unfortunate what could be said or alleged against me for caring. This is one of the reasons people in this world no longer care about each other!

If YOU have ever suffered from a migraine, you should know that there is no way you would even want to be anywhere but at home in bed!  I don't buy the whole migraine story, because I do know how they feel.  Why did she just not call his mother to come and get him?  He was sick and needed to go home.  She apparently knew his phone number, as she has called it before.

P.S.  I also live in a small town.  Glen Rose, to be exact.  And I am a caring person also.  So caring, I would make sure that this person who was in so much pain, that he needed medication did not come back to my house for a "campout".

June 19, 2008, 9:54 pm CDT

Fourth Boy?

Quote From: ramair

Matt was the fourth boy to falsely accuse Joelle.
One, the town mayor's son, I believe, recanted.
The second, a professing "Christian" changed his "story, according to Joelle, during Dr Phil's phone call.
The third failed the polygraph Dr Phil arranged for him. He was shown only from the back.
Matt also failed his polygraph, given by another examiner.

There was not four boys, but three. 

One, Matt

Two, "the mayor's son"  (this is the one on the show that was shown only from the back)

Three, "christian"  (this is the one that recanted)

I know the boy's names, but I am using your quotes so you will understand.  :)

June 20, 2008, 8:30 am CDT

Questions

First and foremost I would like to say that I am not 100% sure who is "guilty". I just have a few questions about this.

1.) It is pointed out how weird her reaction is but what about the boys reactions? They do not seem to be too concearned with any of this either. Most children that this happens to either supress the memories or get very angry. Neither one of them are doing either. The mother on the phone did not seem to angry either. If I had a child who was molested by their teacher I would not be so pleasent on the phone about it.

2.) The notes are inapporpriate but alone they do not mean anything. i am confused at how the messages were sent. Did she just write them and hand them to him? If so would she write them if they were ment to be flirtatious knowing that they could get into the wrong hands?

3.) All of the boys inconsistencies are puzzling as well. Like Ms. Ogletree said if it happened you would know what happened.

To me it seems as though the boys worked this all up togeather as a way to get either publicity or noticed by their peers. This sort of thing happens everywhere. Teachers are put in a position of public figures but that can be used against them so easily.  I just want the truth to come out and by the lie detectors results I would say that it has.

June 20, 2008, 10:11 am CDT

True!

Quote From: moveonalready

If YOU have ever suffered from a migraine, you should know that there is no way you would even want to be anywhere but at home in bed!  I don't buy the whole migraine story, because I do know how they feel.  Why did she just not call his mother to come and get him?  He was sick and needed to go home.  She apparently knew his phone number, as she has called it before.

P.S.  I also live in a small town.  Glen Rose, to be exact.  And I am a caring person also.  So caring, I would make sure that this person who was in so much pain, that he needed medication did not come back to my house for a "campout".

I'll concede on this particular point! I DO suffer from migraines and when I have them I have to be at home, left alone in silence, complete darkness, am nauseous, and unable to do anything. People who do not suffer from them have no idea just how bad these truly are, it's not like an aspirin will help, and I have to laugh about the over the counter migraine med's, what a joke! While I was trying to point out that during a migraine a person would be unable to become sexually aroused I maneged to miss the part where you should be home instead of at a party. Thank you for pointing that out. But I still think she is not guilty for what she has been accused of. What I do think she is guilty of? Immaturity and not much in the way of common sense!

June 20, 2008, 10:45 am CDT

HE CHOSE TO APPEAR

Quote From: moveonalready

He is not a teenager any more.  Did you watch the show?  This incident happened 6 years ago.  AND, he did not ask to be on the Dr. Phil show.

Matt must have been approached by the Dr.Phil staff and asked if he would be willing to appear.  There is this very potent word...that word is NO!  Believe me, he was not kidnapped. 

Why he would agree to go so public is known only to Matt.  Some may see it as a way of "standing his groud" after 6 years, and wanting to be believed.  Others, like myself, see this as a way of saving his butt from a defamation lawsuit. 

IF you bring forth accusations against another person, and you do so in good faith, a suit is very difficult to win.  It all goes back to "he said, she said". 

In my opinion, Matt has gotten some very sound legal advice...the polygraph, as we know, is inadmissable as evidence.  Since that is so, I find the use of them to be a moot point.  

There are websites that give pointers on how to beat the machine.  Do they work?  Who can really tell?  IF you pass, no one can tell if you followed the tips or not.  If you fail, it can be explained away by a good lawyer...yet, they don't make it inside the court rooms.

I am not familiar with the Civil Statutes in Glen Rose...maybe the clock has ticked out.  If it hasn't, can't the boys who recanted be opened to a suit?

Why wasn't action taken against the boys, by the D.A. when they recanted.  I thought it was against the law to deliberately file a false police report.

These were not ten year old children, they were old enough to know a lie.  To recant is to admit that you did not tell the truth.  So, my question, where is justice?  Many teens are tried as adults for lesser crimes than this. 

This show, I hope, will be updated as to what happened after Joelle sued.  If nothing happens to the boys who recanted, it sends a message to all teens that you can say anything about anybody and it's O.K.   Now, do we all ave to be afraid of kids, keep our own kids' friends out of the house because someone may get this brilliant idea to make up a sexual fantasy? 

I find it to be not only disturbing, but very scary, as that could be you or me sitting there defending ourselves, taking a severe economic loss, hurting our children, and living under this cloud of suspicion forever.

I can tell you for sure that in New York, once the recanting started, and the story became altered, the D.A. would NOT have taken it to trial. 

Some people besides Joelle, should be held accountable here...you cry "RAPE" then you recant?  Sorry, it shouldn't work that way.

Matt is a lot smarter than he looks.  he will not take a fall.  His cohorts just may have to do so, and I really hope that there is some accountability.  You just cannot say it happened and decide it did not...it is making a mockery of the people who were truly victims.  I thought the whole thing to be disgusting!

June 20, 2008, 12:37 pm CDT

Teacher sex scandal

Quote From: skbruning

I have not been this angry in a very long time.

That woman is not guilty and anyone listening to her and looking closely at the evidence should sense that THESE BOYS have all chosen to lie about her.

I believe that she is as innocent as can be, is as pure as the driven snow, and that those boys need to be punished SEVERELY. 

She also has the right to fight back, prosecuting all concerned to the fullest extent of the law.

PLEASE, DR. PHIL......................PUT A LINK HERE ON YOUR SITE FOR SUPPORTERS OF JOELLE OGLETREE TO SEND HER CONTRIBUTIONS IF WE WISH.  As it is I will have to hunt her down myself and  I am sending her a $100 check today.  (Wish it had about 6 ZEROES behind it, too!)

(Well, glory hallelujah....Dr. Phil has just read the results of the lie detector test and it shows that boy to be LYING.  "Practicing deception"....such a nice way of saying the same thing. 

I also find Joelle's analysis after the test to be SPOT ON.  SHE has a better grip on things than even Dr. Phil.)

CONGRATULATIONS, JOELLE!.....MY CHECK SHOULD GET TO YOU WITHIN THE WEEK AND I CAN ONLY HOPE AND PRAY MANY, MANY, MANY OTHERS JOIN ME IN SENDING YOU MONEY.  You've been through HELL for ................nothing. 

I am VERY angry on your behalf.  You are a classy, eloquent, wonderful woman and your children and family should not have been put through this.  Lastly, I shall write Glen Rose High School and ask them, "HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MINDS?!" 

God bless you & yours, Joelle.  ;O)

Alot of things you said are true.. But one question for you, how come Joelle refused to take the lie detector?

The boys are lying but she is also hiding something.... (think about it)

First | Prev | 255 | 256 | 257 | 258 | 259 | 260 | 261 | 262 | 263 | 264 | Next | Last