Message Boards

Topic : 06/13 Teacher Sex Scandal, Part 2

Number of Replies: 2643
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 26, 2007, 03:02:37 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 11/02/07) Dr. Phil continues his look at a teacher sex scandal that has a school and families divided in a small town in Texas. High school teacher Joelle Ogletree faces accusations of sexual misconduct with some of her male students. Joelle claims she's completely innocent but reluctantly agrees to face Matt, one of her accusers, in person. When Dr. Phil drills down into the details of the case, it's her word against his. Matt maintains that when Joelle was his high school French teacher, she came on to him. He says that as a student he received sexually explicit notes from her, but that the notes were written in code. See the encrypted messages and judge for yourself: Are they provocative or harmless? Then hear how Joelle and Matt interpret them. Plus, Matt agreed to take a polygraph test and have the results reviewed by an independent examiner. Find out what the test reveals and how Matt reacts when he hears them read aloud, as he sits face to face with Joelle. Hear both sides of this gripping sex scandal from the accuser and the accused, and judge for yourself if justice has been served. Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

June 20, 2008, 12:38 pm CDT

Seriously?

This is absolutely ridiculous. Obviously, there are a lot more to this story than be squeezed into a TV show but I feel like in order to make an accurate judgement, copies of documentation from the previous hearings and what was actually previously said should have been there to make a direct comparison with what was said on the show. It would've cut out some of the he said, she said

This teacher seemed very emotionless and almost bored on the show. In my opinion, 6 years is a long time for 3 boys to hold on to a lie. They were young and very immature and it would've been a lot easier to just write it off as a bad joke turned worse but instead they are all maintaining their stance.

The final thing that absolutely appalled me were those notes. Her "interpretation" of the "codes" were insulting to my intelligence. Really? Pu-lease!! What reason could a teacher possibly have to pass such stupid notes? This is a sex scandal case...and those notes were so simple to "crack".

Somehow she's gotten away with touching CHILDREN!! She really should just pick up and move...go somewhere else...and hopefully she wont find any more awkward, acne-prone boys to get a thrill from. She should be living out her student/teacher fantasy with her own husband (which was HER high-school teacher!!!!)

June 20, 2008, 1:11 pm CDT

Yes, you are right...

Quote From: boeml27

This is absolutely ridiculous. Obviously, there are a lot more to this story than be squeezed into a TV show but I feel like in order to make an accurate judgement, copies of documentation from the previous hearings and what was actually previously said should have been there to make a direct comparison with what was said on the show. It would've cut out some of the he said, she said

This teacher seemed very emotionless and almost bored on the show. In my opinion, 6 years is a long time for 3 boys to hold on to a lie. They were young and very immature and it would've been a lot easier to just write it off as a bad joke turned worse but instead they are all maintaining their stance.

The final thing that absolutely appalled me were those notes. Her "interpretation" of the "codes" were insulting to my intelligence. Really? Pu-lease!! What reason could a teacher possibly have to pass such stupid notes? This is a sex scandal case...and those notes were so simple to "crack".

Somehow she's gotten away with touching CHILDREN!! She really should just pick up and move...go somewhere else...and hopefully she wont find any more awkward, acne-prone boys to get a thrill from. She should be living out her student/teacher fantasy with her own husband (which was HER high-school teacher!!!!)
How insulting to my intelligence as well to see these notes she had written!! If they weren't something sexual, couldn't she have just spoken them to him instead of writing it in code? it definately makes more sense to me what the boy said that the note said...he even said he asked her. I hate how the audience thought that the teacher was telling the truth, she just looks like she is a liar. I'm sorry but I didn't believe the things she was saying, she just kept bringing up the fact that in other instances he changed some things around in his story, and if something did actually happen, that he should remember EXACTLY how it happened. Well sorry lady, but I believe you should be doing 160 years...If i lived in the United States I would NEVER put my son in your school...thats scary.

June 20, 2008, 1:14 pm CDT

06/13 Teacher Sex Scandal, Part 2

Quote From: bingosmurf

Alot of things you said are true.. But one question for you, how come Joelle refused to take the lie detector?

The boys are lying but she is also hiding something.... (think about it)

the chick who wrote the thing about sending a cheque for 100 dollars must be crazy. Are you seriously saying we should send 100 dollars to a woman who did sexual things to a teenage boy? come on, i think you're crazy. no offence but you must be a friend of hers or relative if you can believe that everything she said was right...those notes definately meant something more...She declined to take the lie detector because yes she was a person who did something wrong. why pay a woman for being a sexual predator? your seriously insane and no one else would DONATE to her. ughhh you make me sick.

June 20, 2008, 1:18 pm CDT

Sigh....

Ok folks, we have all been through middle school and high school, and we know how we, and others have acted. Looking back on those days, and being a classified assistant in a middle school for a short period of time we know children can make up fibs and lies. One of those boys could have gotten a bad grade on a test, or gotten in trouble and got caught, and wanted to "get back" at the teacher. Could have been Joelle, could have been her husband that they wanted to get back at, and chose Joelle to make it look like what it has blown up to today. I have seen children go to the principal and accuse teachers of smoking, doing drugs, etc in school grounds, and hear them talk about how much thay hate that teacher. Kind of ironic, don't you think? Even though Joelle did not seem very frustrated about this whole situation on air, I am sure she has different emotions off air. Who wants to see a teacher yell and scream and explode on TV? She was trying her best to be calm and professional about this situation!!

June 20, 2008, 1:30 pm CDT

Joelle

Quote From: bingosmurf

Alot of things you said are true.. But one question for you, how come Joelle refused to take the lie detector?

The boys are lying but she is also hiding something.... (think about it)

The boys are lieing - why would Joelle lie - she has a family.

I think the boys made up this story and just could not get out of it - so it just kept going on - are these boys n drug?  are just wanted to show the other boys in school that they are cool - which they are not.

June 20, 2008, 4:15 pm CDT

06/13 Teacher Sex Scandal, Part 2

She could be lying, I can't say, but as for the boy, his account of the 'sexual conduct' sounded like it was right out of Penthouse magazine. It sounded scripted and horribly fictional. The exact kind of thing teenage boys write to try and get into Playboy or Penthouse magazines so they can brag to their friends that they got their story printed in a naughty magazine. Thats just how it sounded to me.

June 20, 2008, 5:11 pm CDT

Teacher being accused

I watched  both part one and two of the Teacher Sex Scandal. I feel bad that  Joelle Ogletree had to be put through all of this.I think that those boys have alot of growing up to do. It's to bad they don't understand the pain that they are putting Mrs.Ogletree and her family through.They don't have anything to lose.So they probably think why bother telling the truth.I'm very glad that Jolle's husband has stuck by her side through all of this.

June 20, 2008, 5:31 pm CDT

The Boys have ALL Lied!!!!!

Having taught school for years - it would seem that the boys got together and made up a pretty story probably aiming at a teacher who may have corrected them for something they did in the class room; may have given bad grades which they earned; or many other things that upset them.  At their age they could have gotten a hold of an "adult" magazine, put their heads together and created a story to get even with a teacher.  I have seen this happen.  Kids have an vivid imagination that will not quit.  They have ruined this teacher and her family and should be taught a lesson by the courts.  She (the teacher) could even Sue the kids (now adults) for scandal which in my opinion would teach them a great lesson.  People are all too ready to accuse the teachers when things go wrong instead of actually stopping and getting to "the bottom" of all stories.  Teachers are worked very hard with MANY extra duties plus teaching and HIGHLY UNDER PAID.

June 20, 2008, 8:19 pm CDT

Why use a code of letters if it was innocent?

Why would a well-educated teacher use a code of letters to send notes to a student if the meaning of that code was all-innocent as she claims?  Why not simply write it out as innocently as she implies?  It does seem strange, and she did compromise her integrity by doing so, especially in the classroom.  No teacher in his or her right mind would ever send any kind of note to a student that could be misconstrued or taken out of context and used against her.  I taught school overseas, and I can tell you that all I had to say to any one student I said so that the whole class could hear it.  If it required confidentiality, then I would conduct the conversation in private, but with a witness present such as the Dean, or Principle. 

Also, it is interesting to note that she did marry her high school teacher.  It could be supposed that perhaps he may have had improper relations with her when she was in school as well.  Perhaps she might think this is OK.

June 20, 2008, 8:35 pm CDT

That Boy is a Liar!!!

Did you hear the kids last statement about the teacher marrying her high school teacher?  I bet those boys thought they could make up stories about her because she married her high school teacher. They thought it would be easy to make her look like a pedophile. So what, like she said, "does marrying her teacher make her a pedophile?"  She obviously has a good relationship with her husband if he has stuck by her side through all of this.  Someone else posted that the boys were probably just trying to get revenge for a bad grade or something, and I agree.

First | Prev | 256 | 257 | 258 | 259 | 260 | 261 | 262 | 263 | 264 | Next | Last