Message Boards

Topic : 06/13 Teacher Sex Scandal, Part 2

Number of Replies: 2643
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 26, 2007, 03:02:37 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 11/02/07) Dr. Phil continues his look at a teacher sex scandal that has a school and families divided in a small town in Texas. High school teacher Joelle Ogletree faces accusations of sexual misconduct with some of her male students. Joelle claims she's completely innocent but reluctantly agrees to face Matt, one of her accusers, in person. When Dr. Phil drills down into the details of the case, it's her word against his. Matt maintains that when Joelle was his high school French teacher, she came on to him. He says that as a student he received sexually explicit notes from her, but that the notes were written in code. See the encrypted messages and judge for yourself: Are they provocative or harmless? Then hear how Joelle and Matt interpret them. Plus, Matt agreed to take a polygraph test and have the results reviewed by an independent examiner. Find out what the test reveals and how Matt reacts when he hears them read aloud, as he sits face to face with Joelle. Hear both sides of this gripping sex scandal from the accuser and the accused, and judge for yourself if justice has been served. Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

June 22, 2008, 11:11 am CDT

The student is a punk

Quote From: paragrafix

I'll tell you why she didn't sue the families of those boys. She KNOWS that she did something wrong. Matt glared her straight in the eye as he spoke. She had no emotion and just kept trying to prove why the incidents couldn't have happened. She never called him a 'liar' or said 'I didn't lay a hand on you'....no pun intended, or anything like that. She just spewed some crap about her headlights. Now, that IS an important piece of evidence, especially being that Matt is so adamant about giving details. I just don't think that was the time to talk about it if she was 100% in the right. She would have come up with some sort of emotional outburst. Now, if you believe her version of what those notes meant then you are just plain stupid. That note is so grammatically incorrect that no teacher could have ever written it. It means exactly what Matt said it meant. You just have to tear it apart and look at it. The 'sometimes' means that she would like to say 'just F*** me' but she can't, and there's a reason. The 'sometimes' means that she KNOWS the reason they aren't having sex but that it's hard to refrain from having sex. I think it's because she was waiting for him to not be her student, or for him to turn 18. There was a reason, and the reason she didn't call him a straight up liar is because she KNOWS she did something to piss this kid off. She did something to deserve to be fired, just not the sex. She did something, probably having an emotinal relationship, or just led him on to 'get rid' of her husband, or something along these lines. She strung this kid along and then he found out about another relationship she was having..........enter; kid number two. That's when the other note came in, the IASS, which both agreed meant 'I am so sorry.' She's sorry she hurt him. When he came into class and said 'I'm going to ruin your day' and she said 'you don't have the power to ruin my day.' He was going to prove to her that he, in fact, DID have the power so he made the accusations. He wants her to NOT be teaching at that school, and there's a reason for that too. He knows how she had this emotional relationship with him and he doesn't want that happening to his younger relatives. If NOTHING I said is right, just the fact that she wrote these notes shows a level of comfort between a teacher and student that is inappropriate in and of itself. There is a lot more to this than either of them are saying. Matt is telling half truths, which is why he failed the polygraph. There is a truth somewhere in there and they both know what it is. He glared at her while he spoke and that only comes from truth or anger, and especially anger fueled by betrayal. She hurt him and she knows how. She won't sue the families because she's afraid the truth will come out and she knows that, whatever the truth may be, it's inappropriate too. She hurt that kid, and however she did it, it was inappropriate. Joelle deserves to have her license taken away. I wouldn't want her teaching my teenage boy. Would you? Would trust her enough to put your teenage male student in a class she was teaching? I don't think you would, and if you would, then you're just like those parents that keep sending their kids over to Michael Jackson's home to stay the night with him. Those parents are sending their kids into the mouth of the lion too. I would trust her with 3rd graders, but not junior high or high school. This woman has some issues. She showed no emotion at all except when she found out that Matt was going to be there face to face with her and then she was scared. The fear SHOULD have overshadowed by the rage, but it didn't. I think all this adds up to her knowing she was wrong. Like I said, I have a couple of theories. Read my 'post' and you'll see what I'm talking about. I got into the basics of one of them here, but there's a lot more, and A LOT more reasons why I KNOW she's lying. But then again, he's lying too. I wish I could speak to Matt. I would find out what happened. I am a professional speaker and I speak at schools about the consequences of alcohol abuse, and drinking & driving. I get kids to open up to me witout even trying. They just feel comfortable around me, and they trust me. I could get him to do the same thing. Anyway, I'll stop babbling now, but that's why she won't sue them too. She doesn't want the truth to come out.
By the way, don't you think he looks like Clay Aiken????
There is no proof that the teacher gave the boy a hand job. The so called notes don't mean anything. They are not notes because no words were written. What is the problem with the boy. He said on the show that he was 16 or 17- what is it. The advarage boy is interested in having sex at that age with anything wearing a skirt. He enjoyed the hand job and blow job. Lucky guy. The so-called note he states that it said 'she wanted to **** him',but she didn't -he would have enjoyed that as well. One the show he said it was wrong of her to give him the time of his life-he is full of crap. He admits that he had sex before with someone else. Maybe he had sex 100 before. The boy is evil-maybe she as well. There is no proof that she did it and there is nothing wrong with asking a student to move a piano.  She is sueing the school because she lost her job. That is the truth. The school fired her because they believe the kid ,with no proof. Or- the school just wants it to go away and thats how they want to deal with it. He is not being sued because it's he said she said.

June 22, 2008, 2:38 pm CDT

Quite to the contrary

Quote From: jeaniaraye

Thank you very much for your reply.  I feel much better since hearing from you.  I was wondering if I was taking a stance which harmed the teacher, when I was only trying to help her see that her path was inappropriate.

Sincerely,

Jeania

Had you been her teaching mentor...we have them in N.Y., Joelle wouldn't have found herself in this position.  Don't feel bad, because your advice would have been worth more than gold, and your post was really, the voice of professional conduct.  Thanks for saying that I made you feel better, because your sharing was in no way harmful, and hopefully, may have reached a new teacher who may be reading the boards.  You may have spared someone else from this nightmare!

I admire you!

Kathy

June 23, 2008, 8:14 am CDT

Smart...

Quote From: moveonalready

There is still a lawsuit going on.  She is suing the school district for 1 million dollars. 
my hubby is also careful to protect himself--he is a firefighter and works with firefighter women on 24-48 hr shifts. They are very reputable and we do not believe any are deceptive. But it is also smart to cover yourself and be on hi-alert pro. Also, we will NEVER let my hubby drive the babysitter home--it is ALWAYS me!

June 23, 2008, 7:46 pm CDT

I SO agree!

If YOU have ever suffered from a migraine, you should know that there is no way you would even want to be anywhere but at home in bed!  I don't buy the whole migraine story, because I do know how they feel.  Why did she just not call his mother to come and get him?  He was sick and needed to go home.  She apparently knew his phone number, as she has called it before.

P.S.  I also live in a small town.  Glen Rose, to be exact.  And I am a caring person also.  So caring, I would make sure that this person who was in so much pain, that he needed medication did not come back to my house for a "campout".

Migraine's are totally debilitating! Unless......this was a.....ahem....set up??? I am stil asking---where was her daughter she said was in the car?? Why wasn't she mentioned in teacher's defense on Dr Phil? I can't imagine any "carrying on" in front of a child.

June 24, 2008, 11:11 am CDT

06/13 Teacher Sex Scandal, Part 2

Quote From: amcdaniel1969

For educators to take our trust and stomp on it in such a haneous inexscusable way is unbelievably and utterly disgusting.  When you are entrusted with the care and education of our most precious resource for this country's future you negate that when you take advantage of someone that really does not conceive the ramifications of what they are engaging in. Don't get me wrong I am certain that there are some children under the age of eighteen that wish to argue that they understand what sex is, but I say they dont know the overwhelming emotional place of anguish that these adults are placing them in.  It is unacceptable and rather the perpetrator is male or female they should be in and in my mind under the jail. This gives good teachers a bad reputation and the perpetrators should be ashamed of their rediculous behavior.  Why cant these people find someone that is their age? They need to get a clue, I can guarantee you that as a home day care provider that stays home so that I can be easily accessible to my children I talk to them constantly about what is appropiate and inapprpiate interaction with anyone especially adults and If for any reason any individual especially an educator crosses the line, I will do my best to ensure that they are prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law with every waking breath taking moment of my life and then some.

All of the responses that I have read are written with such conviction.  Only The teacher & Matt know the real truth.  When I watched the first show I was pretty convinced that Mrs. Ogletree had fallen victim to  the lies of 3 male students and I still believe that 2 of them may be lying. 

However, the second show, I felt, changed her credibility.  I am not totally convinced one way or the other, but my opinion of Mrs. Ogletree was altered in a large part because of her body language, her explanations of the coded notes written by her (I believe one of the explanations she gave for her coded note was grammatically incorrect, highly suspect  for a language teacher) & her failure to confront her accuser from the get go with a strong tone & total denial of any misconduct on her part.  She appeared as a shrinking violet, shoulders drooping, lip out and no stern eye contact when facing her accuser.  I'm sure anyone could argue that she has been through alot and thus weakened.  However, if I had the chance to face a lie told about me, I would sit with confidence, shoulders back, straight eye contact and from the start tell my accuser that misconduct NEVER happened & then continue on with the facts. 

In my opinion, Matt was the one who sat up straight & told his story without animosity & maintained his story to be the truth even after the polygraph test was revealed.  He did pass one polygraph but failed one.  In my opinion polygraph tests are not admissable in court for good reason.  As much as I don't want to believe it, I still feel that there is a possiblity that there was misconduct on the part of this teacher. 

June 24, 2008, 4:13 pm CDT

Quote From: genesis1

Migraine's are totally debilitating! Unless......this was a.....ahem....set up??? I am stil asking---where was her daughter she said was in the car?? Why wasn't she mentioned in teacher's defense on Dr Phil? I can't imagine any "carrying on" in front of a child.
The daughter you are referencing is 7 now, so she was just a baby at the time.

June 24, 2008, 6:14 pm CDT

evenso...

The daughter you are referencing is 7 now, so she was just a baby at the time.
that would sick and disgusting with a baby in the back seat. If it was me I would be infuriated and appalled that the boy would even suggest such a thing took place with my child in the backseat....had I been innocent.
Just sayin'.......

June 28, 2008, 4:27 pm CDT

Wow, some people are SO gullible.

Quote From: ashley100

It's crystal clear the school board never investigated anything, just took the word of the boys.  If they had, they would have seen their stories changed, one even admitted it wasn't true. The other two couldn't come up with other explanations when they were confronted, such as Natt and the headlights, or moving the piano, the other boy claiming when it where it took place, yet the teacher was over an hour away at a Dr. appt. during that same time.

And the mother of one of the boys stating the teacher started dressing different, wearing her hair different, yet never stated how she dressed, or how she wore her hair etc. Since when does this make a person a pedifile, even if she had changed ?  Which the teacher stated she hadn't, other than wearing maternatiy clothes due to being pregnant.

It's obvious she's innocent, otherwise the D.A. would have taken it to trial again, and never has.  At least they were smart enough to see the boys were lying, pity there isn't anyone on the school board with any intelligence to see this.

Instead they've helped ruin a good teacher's life, her career, put her and her family through hell, all based on lies, and don't have the guts to admit they were wrong, and unjustified.

I hope she wins her lawsuit for every dime the school district has, and I would be sueing the boys families for every dime they have as well.

It's really sad when a person's life can be destroyed by false accusations, what happened to innocent until proven guilty ?  Apparently it went out the window with justice for all.

It's obvious the boys are afraid of what will happen now if they come clean and tell the truth, not to mention the financial cost of having to pay for what they've cost the teacher and her family financially.

It might be good for the people of that town to remember, especially the boys, what goes around comes around.

If you believe that crap that Joelle was spewing on that stage you are one gullible individual. What is this crap; "they've helped ruin a GOOD TEACHERS life, her career......"???? Are you out of your mind? I have theories as to what happened. It's too long to write again, but I have already written them on this site so click on my name and it will take you to them. I will say this though, those notes alone show that she did something extremely inappropriate. The boy was lying, but so was she. The point is that she hurt that boy enough to make him lie to get her in trouble, and what she did was bad enough so that she won't defend herself by telling what "really" happened because it was inappropriate too. If you believe her version of the notes then you have to wonder HOW IN GOD'S NAME she ever became a teacher because "sometimes I wish you were just funnier Matt" is so grammatically incorrect that even the most NON ENGLISH speaking moron could spot the errors in that. She wouldn't speak like that. That note meant EXACTLY what Matt said it meant. She lied, but I don't think they actually had sex either. Like I said, my theories are on this site. The point is they are BOTH lying, but this teacher did something VERY inappropriate. Even if EVERYTHING she said was the truth, those notes, and her calling students to her house shows a level of comfort that she should not have had with a student. I travel around the country speaking in schools about the consequences of drinking and driving. I see the way kids act, but I know that you have to keep an authoritative demeanor between teacher and student, which she didn't do. That being said, everything she said IS NOT true. The way he glared at her showed one of two things. Either he was telling the truth, which isn't the case, or he was furious with her. She did something to seriously piss him off. She won't say what it is because, like I said, it's just as inappropriate. The reason he failed the polygraph is because he is only telling half truths. They did spend time together. She led him on. The "sometimes I wish you would just F@#K me" is what that note meant, and the "sometimes" shows that she "wants to say that" but there is a reason she doesn't. She led that young man on for some reason, whether she wanted to wait for him to be "of age" or she wanted to get rid of her husband, or some other twisted reason, but one thing she isn't, and that's a "good teacher". She married her teacher, which shows something isn't right with her in the first place. She DOES NOT deserve to be a teacher. Would you send your teenage boy into her class? If you would, you're just like these parents that keep sending their kids to "play" with Michael Jackson. This woman has some "issues" and I partially explained my theories, but if you want to see the entire thing, just click on my name. As for the D.A. not taking her to trial; that's just because this is something that would be hard to prove, they don't have enough evidence, but that doesn't mean she didn't do anything. That just means they can't prove it beyond a reasonable doubt. You also say that the boys couldn't come up with anything when confronted with things like "the headlights." Didn't you see how fast she came up with "the headlights" thing? That was the first thing she said to repute what he was saying. She should have been so full of rage at someone who had just "ruined her life" that she should have exploded on him. She should have come out with "you liar" or "I didn't lay a hand on you" or something along those lines. All she did was talk about how a certain incident couldn't have happened because of her headlights. I DO think that the "headlight" thing is relevant, especially because Matt was so adamant about coming up with every detail. For him to be wrong about that is relevant, but it just shows that he made up that incident. It doesn't mean that some inappropriate relationship didn't occur between the two. Her mannerisms were just not that of someone who was facing the person who had torn their life apart, which essentially, that is what he had done. She never once said, "I did not hurt you". She "hurt" him in some way and she KNOWS she did. Did you not see her body language around him? Stevie Wonder could see how guilty this woman acted. The only time she showed any emotion was when she found out he was going to be face to face with her and then she was just scared. She was not anxious to face him and prove him wrong. This woman is guilty, it's just we don't know what she's guilty of. You could watch the two of them on that stage and I just KNEW that there was something that they were both hiding. He knows he was "justified" in hurting her this way. He wants to hurt her, just not too much. If she were going to prison for any amount of time, he would tell the truth, and she would too. Anyway, there is something going on here that we just aren't hearing from either of them. We probably will never know what she had done, and what the real relationship was between these two. I would LOVE to know, but we won't. I just wanted to show you that you are wrong. The notes alone show that, and if you believe that Joelle's version of what those notes meant, then she STILL doesn't need to be a teacher because she has no working knowledge of the English language. That being said, that note meant exactly what Matt said it meant, and the "IASS" they both agreed meant "I am so sorry". She said it was because she embarrassed him in class after he said "I'm going to ruin your day" and she said "you don't have the power to ruin my day." I think that meant he was going to tell something about their relationship, and she basically said that nobody would believe him. That is exactly why he came up with the sexual things. He knew that their relationship was inappropriate but that he couldn't prove that so in order to get her busted he had to make up the sexual aspect. She scared of facing him because she knows she did him wrong. She knows she has hurt him. I KNOW people, and I am POSITIVE that they are both lying. I am also positive that she had an inappropriate relationship with this young man. Alright, I'm finished here. I have showed you how wrong you are. If you still choose to believe this woman is an innocent victim then you are gullible, AND stubborn because I have given you many reasons, and if I haven't proven it to you here, like I said, I have 2 theories and I KNOW that I am close to the truth with those theories.
By the way, do you think he looks like Clay Aiken???

July 2, 2008, 1:41 pm CDT

Quote From: jewelsf

Now that is funny! I want to ask really? But I know that you are serious! LOL!! Actually, I lived in a little town in the mountains for awhile and it was dead silent at night, pitch black from no city lights, nothing, and we slept with the windows open in the warmer months. Sometimes at night we could hear our next door neighbor snoring while he slept. Totally serious! We even lived on big lot's, not the usual small lots like you see with track housing. This was a very friendly town where people left you alone but at the same time everybody would stop for a chat as you went for a walk. We would do just about anything to move back there again! My favorite place to live ever!

I must admit this, though. When most of the locals get behind a steering wheel, their minds shrink to nothing. Some of the worst drivers I've ever seen.

July 7, 2008, 8:18 pm CDT

Update

Quote From: junehilde

This show originally aired 8 months ago.  It would be nice to know what the progress has been on the lawsuit against the school division.,  How about an update??

I would imagine that Joelle has spent many, many hours over the past 6 years being very emotional.  Phil made it seem like there was something wrong with her because she could now talk about it relatively calmly.

As for the cryptic notes.  In these days of texting, abbreviated words are the norm.  Perhaps Texas (?) was just ahead of this learning curve.

Matt is a real piece of work.  This poor little Christian boy sees himself as so appealing that a competent, beautiful  teacher, wife, and mother just couldn't keep her hands off him.  In your dreams Matt.

Bravo to the boy who recanted his story.  How difficult that must have been for him.  That showed a lot of maturity and courage to admit to his lies. 

Teachers are very vulnerable, especially with students like Matt. 

On a somewhat related theme.  Wayne Gretzky has always protected himself from possible scandal.  For example, if he is alone in an elevator and a lone woman gets on, Wayne will leave the elevator.  He never allows him self to be in a position where he is alone with a woman who might later make accusations.

We live in a very skewed world.

The update you are wanting won't come for awhile.  Looks like the court date has been set.........April 2009. 

First | Prev | 259 | 260 | 261 | 262 | 263 | 264 | Next | Last