Message Boards

Topic : 06/13 Teacher Sex Scandal, Part 2

Number of Replies: 2643
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 26, 2007, 03:02:37 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 11/02/07) Dr. Phil continues his look at a teacher sex scandal that has a school and families divided in a small town in Texas. High school teacher Joelle Ogletree faces accusations of sexual misconduct with some of her male students. Joelle claims she's completely innocent but reluctantly agrees to face Matt, one of her accusers, in person. When Dr. Phil drills down into the details of the case, it's her word against his. Matt maintains that when Joelle was his high school French teacher, she came on to him. He says that as a student he received sexually explicit notes from her, but that the notes were written in code. See the encrypted messages and judge for yourself: Are they provocative or harmless? Then hear how Joelle and Matt interpret them. Plus, Matt agreed to take a polygraph test and have the results reviewed by an independent examiner. Find out what the test reveals and how Matt reacts when he hears them read aloud, as he sits face to face with Joelle. Hear both sides of this gripping sex scandal from the accuser and the accused, and judge for yourself if justice has been served. Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 2, 2007, 8:11 am CDT

Teacher Scandal

Hi Dr. Phil:

I felt that on today's show it truly showed that the student was lying. He was inconsistent with his stories. I thought it was kind of strange, that if he was truly molested by her, then why did he say that he didn't want anything bad to happen to her? Someone that gets taken advantage of, gets very angry & hurt. I didn't see that in him. I saw him being full of himself. It seemed like he wanted to be the one that scored with the teacher. He seemed be jealous, that she married her teacher. I really thought he was out of line when he stated that she married her teacher. That's none of his business. I also was shocked when you told her she should be angry. She probably was. At this point she needed to prove the inconsistency to prove her point & she did. I felt that she was just trying to show how much he lied & she had every right to do so. I really feel for her & her family. Shame on those boys!!!!!!!!!!! What a sad joke to play on someone's life. Take care. Tina (From CT.)

November 2, 2007, 8:12 am CDT

If there was ever a reason to sue....

The school board in this community needs to be sued. They are totally clueless, apparently one of the families of these liars has a little clout. What they've done to this lady and her family is criminal. The boys should face criminal charges and the school system and families of the boys civil law suits. These boys are clearly liars and the one didn't even have the guts to be identified or show himself on camera.

November 2, 2007, 8:12 am CDT

11/02 Teacher Sex Scandal, Pt. 2

Look at all these women that are getting caught sleeping with their students or messing with them. Everyone of those women didn't really fight it.  Because they were guilty.  This is the only women I remember actually going to this extent to let everyone know she is not lying. I really don't believe she did it and her marrying  her high school teacher doesn't really have anything to do with this. I am 30 and I could run into one of my high school teachers tomorrow. He is a liar!!

November 2, 2007, 8:13 am CDT

Deep fears for all!

All of them have fears for themself and family, friends, society and the future effects.

This teacher and her husband made relationship mistakes.

The 'boys' certainly followed sexual driven fantasies way too far. 

They proved that, kept life in thier powerful stories that gave them so much attention from so

many for so long.  Far too many people feel entitled to get attention with little fear of

consequences from thier victims adversity to it?  Our youth seem overly powered in it.

Schools need much less power also, but was correct in letting an employee go over

over-familiarty with students.  No public servant should let themself become placent with

the boundaries they must follow.

The boys showed me what I have seen before in a liar enjoying the victim they hold emotionally

held hostage to thier lies: cowards to release what they cannot really have.

November 2, 2007, 8:15 am CDT

That boy did appear to be a liar, all fidgety and all.

I will say this to all people in this and similar positions, just hold yourself to a higher standard!  If you are a teacher, you shoudn't be writing encoded messages to students.  I do think there was a flirtation that went on that went too far.  Maybe she hurt the boys'  feelings after she didn't put out.

When I was in high school 20 years ago , our school hired an assistant football coach that was super FINE!  Let me tell you!  And the ladies (not me, I was too shy back then to barely speak to anyone!) relentlessly through themselves after him ALL THE TIME.  After I graduated, I heard he had gotten in trouble for having a relationship with one of those girls.  but gosh, he has barely older than we were and the girls were just throwin' it at him.  I remember him blushing and getting embarrassed about it.

But would your 22-23 year old son have enough sense to turn those girls in for sexual harrassment?  Would anybody have believed him?  I think the better answer would be - -Would anybody have done anything about it?  Probably not.  Especially back then.  Those girls would have been given a warning, if that.  the asst coach probably would have been accused of not being able to handle the pressures of the job.  I don't recall if he taught in classes. 

Just like the professinal athletes and celebs, stop putting yourself out there!  You know folks are out there to exploit you and get what they can get!  So just have higher standards than to do suspect things that are subject to various and devastating interpretations! 

November 2, 2007, 8:15 am CDT

I think the former students are not telling the truth,but I also beleive the teacher had many mistakes getting too close to some of her students.I think in some ways she acted unprofessionaly like with the notes,you just should not do things like that,you are suppose to be a mentor not a peer. With that being said I'am so tired of teachers acting inappropriately with students.At the high school my son attends a teacher was arrested two years ago for inappropriate conduct with a student.He had affairs with three former students,the last one came forward,he is now serving time in prison for that along with unrelated charges,and still maitains his innocence.lol.I also beleive there are many many resopnsible dedicated teachers out there,and I admire them for what they do for our kids.

November 2, 2007, 8:17 am CDT

There is so much more to this story

Although Dr. Phil showed two days worth of this story, I feel he didn't even touch the tip of the iceberg.  Is Dr. Phil going to look into Joelle's situation with her husband?  She married HER high school teacher!  Matt brought this up today (Friday) and no one made a comment about it.  Matt said, "I see this chain here,” Matt explains. “Doug (Joelle's husband) taught you in high school, y'all got married, and then this happens with you and I and ****.”

“What's your point?” asks Joelle.

“That's not clear enough?” says Matt. “You married your high school teacher.”

“What are you implying?” asks Joelle.

“It's a little odd to me,” says Matt. “I'm implying there's something's that's not quite right with this entire situation.”

Dr. Phil, I am so disappointed in you for not stepping in on this comment.   The only thing clear in this sitation, is there are a lot of grey areas. 

Joelle said herself on Thursday's show, regarding one of the acusers who recanted, “I expect [the former student] to go to his grave perpetuating this lie,” she says. “His family is very prominent in the community. They present themselves as a very religious family. Honestly, I believe he did not want to get mixed up with this in the beginning, but he did, and I believe once he did he either has to say, 'I was involved with this person, and know that was wrong but I was a kid,' or he has to say, 'I told a lie, a lie that ruined this person's life,' and I think it's a less evil for him just to keep going on with it in his mind than have to damage his reputation.”

hmmmm, Joelle, maybe the same can be said for you.  You have an established family and husband and I'm sure you wouldn't want to destroy your family over telling the truth that you had sexual/flirtatious relations with at least one of these boys. 

So much grey area.  Joelle trying to portray herself as 'Miss Innocent'.  I think not.    There is so much more here that wasn't said, and I wish Dr. Phil would ackowledge it. 

November 2, 2007, 8:19 am CDT

happens too often

Without going into too much detail, I would like to say that this happens far too often. It happened to me to a far greater extent. No one ever confirmed it, but it happened in a small town and rumors swirled. You would not believe the pressure. I was called into the principal's office constantly and grilled about the situation. I was so scared. I wanted to tell but never felt like I could tell. They made me feel as though it was my fault and, if I told, I would be responsible for ruining this person's career. People said horrible things about me. I took it on my shoulders. Now, I am older and have children. Let me tell you, this experience did not go away or fade with time. In fact, I have gained more clarity about the situation. I realize now that it was not my fault. That this teacher was in the wrong. Although I didn't feel this way at the time, I now feel as though I was raped. I was 14 years old and had never had any sexual experiences before this happened.

November 2, 2007, 8:22 am CDT

Fault on both Sides

I think that there may have been some flirting on the part of the teacher whether she wants to admit it or not. Personally I don't think the young man on the show was that good looking. I do think he is fabricating more than what actually happened. Having worked in the school system for 11 years, I can honestly say that teenagers do exhibit a wealth of fantasy whether it be with a teacher, a student or whoever. If the teacher flirted, maybe this male student took it the wrong way and at that time was looking for some way to flatter himself.  As a school employee, I believe that the teacher is honest in saying she did not have sex with the male student.  I also believe that Matt and his buddy may have thought that getting the teacher in trouble was a feather in their cap.  From watching Matt's actions on TV, I believe he is stuck on himself and thinks that the world revolves around him.  Also I believe that this student has placed himself in a situation where he is damned if he admits to lying and damned if he continues with the fabricated lie.   The best thing for the teacher to do is to leave town and start a new life elsewhere. I know it will be hard to do, but maybe it's the best thing.

November 2, 2007, 8:23 am CDT

way too trusting

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last