Message Boards

Topic : 06/13 Teacher Sex Scandal, Part 2

Number of Replies: 2643
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 26, 2007, 03:02:37 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 11/02/07) Dr. Phil continues his look at a teacher sex scandal that has a school and families divided in a small town in Texas. High school teacher Joelle Ogletree faces accusations of sexual misconduct with some of her male students. Joelle claims she's completely innocent but reluctantly agrees to face Matt, one of her accusers, in person. When Dr. Phil drills down into the details of the case, it's her word against his. Matt maintains that when Joelle was his high school French teacher, she came on to him. He says that as a student he received sexually explicit notes from her, but that the notes were written in code. See the encrypted messages and judge for yourself: Are they provocative or harmless? Then hear how Joelle and Matt interpret them. Plus, Matt agreed to take a polygraph test and have the results reviewed by an independent examiner. Find out what the test reveals and how Matt reacts when he hears them read aloud, as he sits face to face with Joelle. Hear both sides of this gripping sex scandal from the accuser and the accused, and judge for yourself if justice has been served. Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 2, 2007, 8:24 am CDT

11/02 Teacher Sex Scandal, Pt. 2

My sister  is a teacher and I feel she gets to involved in their lives. She has had a student stay over night when my child was there. I personal feel that is totally inappropriate I will never let my child stay over there she's only 20 months.  I feel she is giving poor judgment trying to help this kid out. That kid is on house arrest. I really don't feel she gets the rasp of how wrong I feel this is. On her child's birthday she had a phone call and it was another or the same student calling her. I personally feel this is totally wrong. Please give me some input I'm I over reacting or not? I really feel students have no reason to go to teachers houses. thanks

November 2, 2007, 8:27 am CDT

Teacher Sex Scandal

After watching both parts of this story, I still am not convinced that this teacher is telling the truth.  She herself was acting more like a teenager than an adult at the end of the show when it was revealed that

the young man didn't pass the polygraph test (she had a smirk on her face as if to say I got you).  Why would a teacher have students come to her house to help move furniture in the first place?  The most disturbing to me is that she had a sleep over party at her house for her students.  The coded notes are really ridiculous - there again she was acting like her teenage students.  Whether there was molestation on the part of this teacher or not I wouldn't want her teaching a child of mine. 

November 2, 2007, 8:29 am CDT

Teachers

I work during most days so I did not see yesterday's show.  I did get to see today's, but if the boys took  a polygraph why didn't she?  That to me would have been more beneficial.  I am tired of teachers male or female making inappropriate relationships, comments or even looks at our children.   I think she did have an inappropriate relationship with her students, but I am not convinced that she took it as far as the boys indicated, but it doesn't matter, inappropriate is inappropriate.  Obviously her teacher must have done it to her and you know how life goes in cycles until someone is strong enough to break it.  I just hope that none of the 3 boys become teachers or similar fields, please break the chain!

November 2, 2007, 8:31 am CDT

What you do today can bite you tomorrow......

The ol saying still stands-be careful what you do today for it can come back to bite you tomorrow...

I feel there is more here than meets the eye, although teachers are friendly with their students and more is made into it than what really is..

So who is telling the truth????? Stayed tuned!!!!!!

Hopefully this can all be cleared and on with thrie lives..

November 2, 2007, 8:31 am CDT

11/02 Teacher Sex Scandal, Pt. 2

For some reason I do not believe in what this teacher is saying, and the notes, those were  real odd.  Since when do teachers give coded notes to their students, does she have something to hide so no one else will see what's going on between her and her student, to me thats obvious. Matt seemed to be telling the truth to me , why else would he put himself through this in front of millions of people , I'm sure not to make himself look like a liar but to expose her. These  polygrapgh tests to me seems something that people should not depend on for answers, it is a  machine after all . Anyone who is nervous to me could possibly fail. Well I hope the answer comes out someday, in the meantime if matt was right ,would you want her in your school around your son , not  me.

November 2, 2007, 8:36 am CDT

shameful

Quote From: dutchamo

What a shame that this case has gone as far as it has.  This young man is clearly lying to himself and the whole world.  The "I don't remember it was 6 years ago", the "Uhm's and ah's, the failure of the polygraph by this young man and his cohort in Texas.  What more do people need!

After 11 years in the Foreign Exchange Business, this last year was it for me.  I had 2 cases that were similar.  In both cases the students were found to be lying, they admitted it after they were removed from the homes they were in.  Both just wanted new families so they could do what they wanted and not have any rules.  Two men almost went to prison.  For what?  Same goes here, for what???? 
I know these things do really happen, but now kids are using this as a way to destroy adults lives.  What a shame.

i totaly do not believe matt. he got into a  lie that he cant get out of. i hope hes happy to ruin a familys life and a teachers reputation. there is enough truth about this subject going on in the world. we need to concentrate on that and not have teen boys or girls lying about this. hes right about 1 thing, he will take this lie to his grave, because hes to ashamed to be honest. god knows the truth. i wish nothing but  the best for this teacher and her family. and i would let her teach my 1 and only  son. thats how much i dont think  she did anything wrong. if kids really knew the harm  lies like this could cause, maybe they would be more honest. matt could have taken this mom away from her own children for the most important years of their lives. would he have been happy then? he just thinks this is making him so cool, but i  have news for him, it makes him look like a fool.

November 2, 2007, 8:37 am CDT

Been there

It is so sad that these days people are allowed to ruin others reputations for what ever reasons. I too was a accused of sexual molestion. "It did not happen.!" This same person accused me of cutting him with a knife and there was 3 other wittnesses there that seen what had took place. Still yet to this day he still spreads these lies for what ever reason he does. He being a relative makes it just as hard to understand why he does what he does. I guess what mostly is on my mind about the whole thing is.."What is his motivation?"..."Why is he doing the things he is doing?"...and "How do I stay away from this person without alienating a dear family member?"

I  sure can see where the teachers that get falsely accused are coming from or anyone for that fact.

I'm seeing borderline personality disorder........tag those with this. At least that way we can keep the inoccent out of jail.....oh yeah thats right  the accuser may have a good lawyer and say that is inadmissable.
I guess there is no easy answer....We just have to learn to live with it. Maybe being a hermit is the answer.

November 2, 2007, 8:40 am CDT

yup..

Seems to me the guy is lying.

We had some girls in our school, when we were 14, who didn't like our computer teacher, because he smelled like b.o. They wrote a nasty  note about him (accusing him of some sexual stuff) and put it in his bag - hoping that his wife would see it when he gets home. We all knew they were lying about him and when he confronted them, he told them what serious effects it could have, spreading these lies. They ended up apologizing immediately.

But for this guy - I think it all snowballed into a huge lie - and he's to embarrassed/ashamed/or too proud to fess up and apologize.

November 2, 2007, 8:42 am CDT

agreed

Quote From: penzance

I taught for 30 years. I saw first hand what can happen when a student tells a lie and it gets picked up by parents and other students. These lies take on a life of their own and ruin lives and reputations. When I hear former  students talk about how they "got carried away" and say the incidents never really happened, I get so angry because they still don't seem to know the pain they caused these teachers. The teachers and substitute teachers I know recovered professionally, but their  pain never went away. I hope this teacher is telling the truth but she did leave herself open to doubts. There are certainly no winners here. I don't believe the boys.

I absolutely agree with you as a future educator myself. I’m 100% convinced these boys have spiraled a fantasy or lie out of control. But these young men just can’t imagine the repercussions. Unfortunately, today students may think something as extreme as this is just a funny or cool thing to tell their friends. I’m only going into early childhood art education, But I couldn’t imagine being falsely accused of such allegations. This teacher did put herself in a poor position with these young men. I don’t believe there are any winners here either. She absolutely made poor judgment, however, of course if the boys are lying then they have also made very poor judgment.

November 2, 2007, 8:43 am CDT

Teacher's emotion

I disagree with Dr. Phil.  These incidents happened a few years ago.  She is past the anger part.  At times, our anger dissipates to become resignation.  Also she has been in court and has taken on the "I'll prove you wrong" attitude.  I also think Dr. Phil can be a bit too pompous!!  It is also unfortunate that a sexual scandal stays with the accused even if proven innocent.  It is very difficult to remove the stigma.  CLD

First | Prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next | Last