Message Boards

Topic : 06/13 Teacher Sex Scandal, Part 2

Number of Replies: 2643
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 26, 2007, 03:02:37 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 11/02/07) Dr. Phil continues his look at a teacher sex scandal that has a school and families divided in a small town in Texas. High school teacher Joelle Ogletree faces accusations of sexual misconduct with some of her male students. Joelle claims she's completely innocent but reluctantly agrees to face Matt, one of her accusers, in person. When Dr. Phil drills down into the details of the case, it's her word against his. Matt maintains that when Joelle was his high school French teacher, she came on to him. He says that as a student he received sexually explicit notes from her, but that the notes were written in code. See the encrypted messages and judge for yourself: Are they provocative or harmless? Then hear how Joelle and Matt interpret them. Plus, Matt agreed to take a polygraph test and have the results reviewed by an independent examiner. Find out what the test reveals and how Matt reacts when he hears them read aloud, as he sits face to face with Joelle. Hear both sides of this gripping sex scandal from the accuser and the accused, and judge for yourself if justice has been served. Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 2, 2007, 1:33 am CDT

Shes not telling the whole truth!!

There is just something about this woman that really bothers me! She is not telling the whole truth, come on! Why would these boys say these things and have DETAILS ! I know they failed their polygraphs but she did something with them or why else would they all make this up?? She just sat there with a smug look on her face and focused on small stuff, she did not come across as a woman that is telling the truth! She had the same tone to her voice for most of the shows, again STRANGE! If this was your story and you KNEW you were being accused of something YOU DID NOT DO.....wouldn't you be a tad more aggresive?!!! Shes lying and I belive Dr Phil agrees!!

November 2, 2007, 2:04 am CDT

Who was the real victim

Quote From: taniat21

My friend and I were at the taping of this show. We were so puzzled when we left. I think that something was definitely going on with these boys and her. The way she reacted to this boy was very odd. She showed no emotion and this boy had supposedly ruined her life with a lie. I'm not sure what exactly was going on between them, but something was. I felt sorry for her husband.

In response to the girl that was at the taping.  Joelle reacted like many do after years of fighting to get back what is most important to anyone that has worked hard to acomplish a goal and the respect of their peers. Their good name. 

Most often, someone that is assumed to be guilty of a crime that embarasses them or their family, inspite of what the court rules, will do anything to just "make it go away".  Yet Joelle remained in the community, encountered the 'wheels of justice' which whether you are the the accused or the victim, is very emotionally and physically demanding. THEN she went on to fight for her right to teach and in the end she can't even do volunteer work? 

Trust me - you hit enough brick walls in regard to a legal issue and you finally learn - You have two ears and two eyes and one mouth.  Stop drowning out your opponent  with your words.  Instead watch and listen to your opponent.  Listen and watch long enough and let someone else be your 'pit bull' (Dr. Phil in this case) and the truth will piece itself together.   

Watch the tape again.  Watch her eyes and his eyes as they speak.  His flite about - kept look to the right - which indicates he is searching the "Creative" part of his database files - which leads to inconsistancies in his story.  Joelle on the other hand searched her left side of her brain - that's the part where facts are kept.  Joelle had plenty of emotion going on inside her head and in her fingers.  She was concentrating on what Doug was saying and remembering what he had said under oath. Not only was taking notes a very smart thing to do - but it also gave her a place to channel her energy. 

Today's society is quick to allow teachers and politicians to be the scapegoat for their bad kids and miserable jobs.  I don't know how old you and your friend are, but if you engaged in sex before you were 25 with a boy the same age or younger - think about those first times together - Did your partner even get his underware completely "off" before he did?

The "Quickness" of the boys was a running joke among the girls at my school.

November 2, 2007, 3:10 am CDT

all wrong

How dare people beging to make accusations! I knew these kids personally. That's all I will say, I do not want to involve myself in this, and I know for a fact that she is innocent! So everybody get their facts straight. There is no need to go out and speak against them without knowing them. And what's with this "trust our educators" crap? Just because it happens in some places, doesn't mean it's going to happen to everyone out there. That's all....

November 2, 2007, 3:40 am CDT

Reply to authors of

Some points for you to ponder if you are able:

1.  The teacher in this particular situation refused a plea bargin.  Then after the prosecution requested and was granted a mistrial, all charges were dropped.  Prosecuters don't request mistrials and then drop all charges unless they feel the case is unwinable, indicating that the teacher probably had a strong likelyhood of being aquitted (i.e found not guilty).

2.  One "victim" recanted after being caught in a lie and the other two were found to be deceptive via a polygraph test performed by professionals not linked to either side of the story and if Dr. Phil picked the polygraphers then I do not doubt their skill or experience.

3.  In case you all didn't catch this fact:  Her husband was her highschool teacher.  This would indicate that her preference for age leans toward older not younger.  This could also be seen as a preference for men with authority & maturity, traits not often seen in  a 16 yo boy.

4.  This is one teacher who DID NOT abuse her students!!! I find it amazing that the very traits that make an excellent and effective teacher (compassion, empathy, the ability to engage and connect to students) can be twisted by hindsight to appear sinister, predatory, and sexual.

So, why are you ranting about all those "evil" teachers out there instead of praising the dedicated, underpaid and disrespected professionals who make up the overwhelming majority of our nation's teachers?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, yeah...A teacher has already earned your respect by virtue of their education, their dedication, and their continued willingness to believe that the children they teach are worth the effort involved.

November 2, 2007, 3:54 am CDT

Unsure

Stories like these are so difficult to watch.  I find myself saying "She's lying!... No, maybe he's lying?"  There is a big part of me that can't believe that someone would continue to lie about something like this.  I understand that they would be facing consequences for admitting they lied, but something about this story just isn't sitting well with me.  I can't decide yet who I think is lying, but I'm sure I'll be able to today when we watch her and the other student on stage face to face.  Dr. Phil, I can't tell you how much I respect you for handling a situation like this.  I can't imagine how hard it must be to try and sort through all the crap when someone is obviously lying.  I'll be tuned in today to hear your opinion on this matter!

November 2, 2007, 4:27 am CDT

shes guilty

there is no way this teacher is innocent.  her body language is telling me that she is happy she is getting away with this.  Its people like her that need to be charged a nd spend the time in JAIL for their crime.   In this world today there are way to many teachers getting away with doing this to our children.   she seem

tobe avoiding all the questions that you dr Phil are asking.   She has yet to just nswer the questons without applying some of her accusers answers.   

I just have a bad feeling about her.   Guess we will find out the truth on todays show when sh is confronted by one of her victims!!!!!

November 2, 2007, 6:09 am CDT

Something is "off" with this woman

In 9 years of high school teaching, I can tell you that I am my co-worker friends never sent ANY note to a student that was anything but carefully worded....REPORT TO DETENTION, HAVE YOUR MOTHER CALL ME, etc. This woman has some EXPLAINING to do!

Saw yesterday's show and from my law enforcement training and my high school teacher experience, I did get an odd feeling from this woman. Something is off. Not sure if that implies guilt, but something is definitely off. Personally, I would not trust her with the care of MY children. I would err on the side of caution.

She's hiding SOMETHING. Perhaps the extent of her "contact" with these boys is exaggerated, but I do feel she is not being forthcoming.

November 2, 2007, 6:10 am CDT

Annoyed

I have seen yesterdays show and the teacher was right, if you are a victim your story doesn't change. It sounds like the boys stories changes as many times as you blink. They probably just thought about dirty thoughts with their teacher, it got out, the seriousness of it all hit and they had to go with the lies. They are lying. The teacher is innocent and those boys are liars.

November 2, 2007, 6:12 am CDT

She has problems

Quote From: taniat21

My friend and I were at the taping of this show. We were so puzzled when we left. I think that something was definitely going on with these boys and her. The way she reacted to this boy was very odd. She showed no emotion and this boy had supposedly ruined her life with a lie. I'm not sure what exactly was going on between them, but something was. I felt sorry for her husband.

Amen!

Something is NOT 100% above board here. She may not be guilty of everything she's accused of, but she's not being forthcoming.

My GUT feeling tells me the boys may have exaggerated some things, but this supposed "educator" is hiding something. Deep down I believe she knows she crossed the line with her students. And the fact that she placed herself on national television tells me she has PROBLEMS.

November 2, 2007, 6:17 am CDT

agree

Quote From: drphilrocks07

There is just something about this woman that really bothers me! She is not telling the whole truth, come on! Why would these boys say these things and have DETAILS ! I know they failed their polygraphs but she did something with them or why else would they all make this up?? She just sat there with a smug look on her face and focused on small stuff, she did not come across as a woman that is telling the truth! She had the same tone to her voice for most of the shows, again STRANGE! If this was your story and you KNEW you were being accused of something YOU DID NOT DO.....wouldn't you be a tad more aggresive?!!! Shes lying and I belive Dr Phil agrees!!

Do I ever agree with you!!!  If I were that woman and that guy is really lying, they would have to get security to keep me from ripping him a new butt hole. I can't follow her demeanor at all. She wants to act like the victim but it just doesn't seem real.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last