Message Boards

Topic : 06/13 Teacher Sex Scandal, Part 2

Number of Replies: 2643
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 26, 2007, 03:02:37 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 11/02/07) Dr. Phil continues his look at a teacher sex scandal that has a school and families divided in a small town in Texas. High school teacher Joelle Ogletree faces accusations of sexual misconduct with some of her male students. Joelle claims she's completely innocent but reluctantly agrees to face Matt, one of her accusers, in person. When Dr. Phil drills down into the details of the case, it's her word against his. Matt maintains that when Joelle was his high school French teacher, she came on to him. He says that as a student he received sexually explicit notes from her, but that the notes were written in code. See the encrypted messages and judge for yourself: Are they provocative or harmless? Then hear how Joelle and Matt interpret them. Plus, Matt agreed to take a polygraph test and have the results reviewed by an independent examiner. Find out what the test reveals and how Matt reacts when he hears them read aloud, as he sits face to face with Joelle. Hear both sides of this gripping sex scandal from the accuser and the accused, and judge for yourself if justice has been served. Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 2, 2007, 6:19 am CDT

Looking at the other side of this

I am concerned about this trend in America.  It seems that more and more teachers are being accused of sexual abuse.  If I were a young person trying to decide a profession, I think I would steer clear of teaching.  However, if, infact this abuse did happen, she should have her license taken away.  From what I have seen on the first part of this show, the court did not find anything to warrant this action. 

Some say she is not angry enough, did not show enough emotions, etc.  Well, how would you act if you were in her shoes????  Would be having a "Postal Moment"on TV???? What does that solve?  I do not know if she is guilty or not, and I am not in her shoes, Thank the Good Lord, but for the sake of all involved, I hope that Dr. Phil can get to the truth.  BUT.......if it proven that she did not commit these crimes, what will happen to these boys???????  Probably nothing, and that is a crime in it self.

November 2, 2007, 6:44 am CDT

Not all teachers are monsters

I know that most want to say believe him not her. However, I highly believe that he is lying. The fact that he say he doesn't want anything to happen to her, but he had to want this. He is lying. I am going into the teaching profession and it is one of the worst due to the attitudes of the society. Yes, there are teachers out there who have sex with students, but not all. On the fact that she did not show emotions, she couldn't because it could hurt her more and she did not want to say anything that he could use such as statements made in anger.    

November 2, 2007, 6:50 am CDT

Something Just Isn't Right.

I have to say, something just isn't right here. I'm not saying Joelle is guilty of what she is accused of, but at the very least, she made some very bad errors in judgement.......errors that a professional teacher should not be making. This whole thing with the "coded notes" and asking students to help move a piano and any other related "extra-curricular" activities that may have taken place really displays some terribly poor judgement in my opinion, especially for a teacher. The way things are today, you just can't let yourself get involved in that kind of behavior. She's a teacher, not a pal to her students. You have to keep the two separate or this is exactly the sort of thing that happens. Just my opinion.

G.

November 2, 2007, 7:06 am CDT

What About Her Lie Detector Test?

Since both of the accusers 'failed' their lie detector tests, why didn't she take one from the same expert to prove her innocence? This was the perfect time for her to prove her innocence NATIONALLY!!!

Because she passed on the test on the advice of her lawyer, she creates needless doubt.

November 2, 2007, 7:08 am CDT

She's innocent

Throughout both shows I vacillated as to who was lying and who was telling the truth.  The statement that clinched it for me came when they were discussing the notes.  Apparently the student had said he had ruined the teacher's day and the teacher's response was, "You don't have the power to ruin my day."  That statement to a 16 year old, who has just been humiliated by his teacher by the way, became a challenge to him.  He'd show her--he'd not only ruin her day, he'd ruin her life!  One boy withdrew his allegations and the other two failed lie detector tests.  What more evidence do you need?

November 2, 2007, 7:10 am CDT

Been There...

This story is so close to home that it scares me...

I went through the same exact thing with the French Teacher in high school except I wasn't the one that told some how or another someone else found out and told the school.  This was a male teacher and apparently there were numerous other students. 

I just wish parents would be more cautious and not trust these teachers so much.  Be aware!!

November 2, 2007, 7:12 am CDT

She's Innocent

Although I was never at a trail, to me these two shows were proof enough.  This poor woman is most definitely innocent.  In my opinion, this is how it all happened:

The boys are in high school and they have a "hot" teacher.  They begin speaking about what they wish would happen and it gets out of line.  Students go over to her house to help her out which leads to a prime opportunity for them to begin making rumors because they now have a "place where it all happened".  To me, having students over to help move something is nothing out of the ordinary.  People I know have helped high school teachers as well as college professors move things from house to house.  So now extreme rumors are started and they get leaked to the administration.  Questioning begins, hormones, and young male student egos come into play.  The boy, Matt, finds himself so deep into his lies that he can't retract what he previously said.  Now, it has all spun so out of control and this woman finds herself losing so many important things in her life.

It's really just so ridiculous and Matt's statements proved it all today.  He is clearly a liar who may, again, be so deep into his lies after 6 years that he has no convinced himself that they are true, even though none of it ever happen.

November 2, 2007, 7:13 am CDT

Her posture/reactions

Dr. Phil commented several times about the way that she reacted to statements, and how she was addressing "little details", and going around the real issue. I have spent approx. 8 years fighting 9 custody battles over my daughter. It is apparent that she has spent many years in the court system fighting for her life, as I did my daughter's. People used to comment to me about the way that I would "respond more like a lawyer". After being in that arena for so long, you learn that you must knit pick every detail to prove your case. In many ways, I still walk thru life with that legalistic demeanor. It's survival. I get it. It didn't take away from her answers in my opinion, it just proved how damaged she is from this whole ordeal...

November 2, 2007, 7:13 am CDT

the notes...

Quote From: gprenn11

I have to say, something just isn't right here. I'm not saying Joelle is guilty of what she is accused of, but at the very least, she made some very bad errors in judgement.......errors that a professional teacher should not be making. This whole thing with the "coded notes" and asking students to help move a piano and any other related "extra-curricular" activities that may have taken place really displays some terribly poor judgement in my opinion, especially for a teacher. The way things are today, you just can't let yourself get involved in that kind of behavior. She's a teacher, not a pal to her students. You have to keep the two separate or this is exactly the sort of thing that happens. Just my opinion.

G.

The teacher that was involved in my situation wrote notes too and would come to my house to help me and my mom out.  

November 2, 2007, 7:14 am CDT

TEACHER SEX SCANDAL

I would like to know what Dr. Phil thinks. What does his gut tell him? I think the boy is telling the truth.

(SORRY TO HER IF I AM WRONG)

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last