Message Boards

Topic : 06/13 Teacher Sex Scandal, Part 2

Number of Replies: 2643
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 26, 2007, 03:02:37 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 11/02/07) Dr. Phil continues his look at a teacher sex scandal that has a school and families divided in a small town in Texas. High school teacher Joelle Ogletree faces accusations of sexual misconduct with some of her male students. Joelle claims she's completely innocent but reluctantly agrees to face Matt, one of her accusers, in person. When Dr. Phil drills down into the details of the case, it's her word against his. Matt maintains that when Joelle was his high school French teacher, she came on to him. He says that as a student he received sexually explicit notes from her, but that the notes were written in code. See the encrypted messages and judge for yourself: Are they provocative or harmless? Then hear how Joelle and Matt interpret them. Plus, Matt agreed to take a polygraph test and have the results reviewed by an independent examiner. Find out what the test reveals and how Matt reacts when he hears them read aloud, as he sits face to face with Joelle. Hear both sides of this gripping sex scandal from the accuser and the accused, and judge for yourself if justice has been served. Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 2, 2007, 7:16 am CDT

She's innocent

I too think there is more to the story than she is leading us to believe.  I think possibly there was flirtation on her part, but I don't believe it went any further than that.  It sounds as if this was a friendly community considering her husband even asked her to call some "boys" referring to her students?  That probably wouldn't happen in my town.  So I think there was a personal level between her and her students.  I do think that the boys are lying regarding having sexual contact with her.  They both claim they passed the first lie detector test but yet that was given in their hometown community.  I think I heard in the first episode that one of the students involved in the accusations was the mayors son???  Well OF COURSE they would pass.  DUH!  Whats funny is that they were so confident since they passed the first test that they felt they would have no problems passing the second.  But of course, they BOTH failed.  Not one, but both.  How ironic is that.  This polygraph was unbias and I believe accurate.  I agree with what the teacher said that this is sending the wrong message that students can say anything they want and get away with it. 

November 2, 2007, 7:16 am CDT

11/02 Teacher Sex Scandal, Pt. 2

Quote From: grfan1998

How dare people beging to make accusations! I knew these kids personally. That's all I will say, I do not want to involve myself in this, and I know for a fact that she is innocent! So everybody get their facts straight. There is no need to go out and speak against them without knowing them. And what's with this "trust our educators" crap? Just because it happens in some places, doesn't mean it's going to happen to everyone out there. That's all....
I knew them too.  And she is innocent. 

November 2, 2007, 7:17 am CDT

Things do seem strange

Things with this story do seem as though there are a lot of inconsistencies but I believe the teacher.  I believe she responds in the mode she's been forced to take from the beginning.  She couldn't just say these things didn't happen she had to prove how they couldn't take place because she was somewhere else at the time, etc...  For her it's had to become all about proof.  I can't imagine why these boys would want to ruin her career and cause this trouble for anyone other than they are just deviant, unruly boys that think they have the power to do whatever.  It's sad to see....our children are in trouble today.  They don't treat parents with respect, they are spoiled most of the time, and out of control but that's another story!

November 2, 2007, 7:18 am CDT

Boundry Issues

I get the feeling the the truth lies in a grey area in this situation. I believe that there was no sexual contact, however there most certainly were boundry issues on the teacher's part. The coded notes are one example, asking a student over to help move furniture is another, and taking him home when he had a migrane headache is another. It does make me wonder if she was flirting with him, and possibly even made overtly sexual comments to him.

And on the coded notes, why write them in code if they meant what she says they did? What possible reason could she have for doing that? Why write notes to a student in the first place other than on homework or a test and relating to her teaching responsibilities? Additionally, it sounds as if they had some contention in front of the class that was handled unprofessionally by the teacher, the impression I was left with was one of two peers battling back and forth, not a teacher and student interaction.

November 2, 2007, 7:22 am CDT

What a shame

What a shame that this case has gone as far as it has.  This young man is clearly lying to himself and the whole world.  The "I don't remember it was 6 years ago", the "Uhm's and ah's, the failure of the polygraph by this young man and his cohort in Texas.  What more do people need!

After 11 years in the Foreign Exchange Business, this last year was it for me.  I had 2 cases that were similar.  In both cases the students were found to be lying, they admitted it after they were removed from the homes they were in.  Both just wanted new families so they could do what they wanted and not have any rules.  Two men almost went to prison.  For what?  Same goes here, for what???? 
I know these things do really happen, but now kids are using this as a way to destroy adults lives.  What a shame.

November 2, 2007, 7:23 am CDT

The Boy

Why would he come out with this now. The teacher is being hoaxed or the boy has turned gay. He looks and acts wierd-Not embarrassd ect.

November 2, 2007, 7:26 am CDT

11/02 Teacher Sex Scandal, Pt. 2

This situation makes me upset and worried at the same time.  This woman was trying to give these kids an education and then they accuse her of this??  yes in the beginning it seemed like she was guilty i will admit to that.. but as the story went on i could tell she was telling the truth.. for both boys to fail the lie detector test on the show but supposively passed it in texas seems a little sketchy to me..  i believe that dr phills test is the real test.. and teh second boy matt seemed to be searching for answers instead of answering the questions truthfully.  i was raped and molested by a family member when i was in 2nd-3rd grade and i remember all the details vividely.. so i dotn know why he said that he cant remember anything from 5 or 6 years ago.. i believe both boys were lying just like the one boy that recanted his story.. they were all probably just infatuated with her or something and decided to make up a story to make them look more popular or something ad it didnt work.. and now they went too far and cant go back on their story.  this just makes it hard for the teachers who are doing their jobs.. and makes future teachers worried about taking a teaching position with out getting accused with child molestation.  and i do believe some kids do it just to get attention when they arent getting attention or the love or affection from their own parents.  which is sad.  i hope that mrs ogletree can get her life back and that this wont hurt her in the future with getting another teaching position.  this just makes me worry about how many other kids will come and make up a story just to get their teacher in trouble... thanks dr. phill for doing this story.  yes i do agree that some teachers do, do this but in this case i believe she is innocent.. and the courts have proven it to be so..

November 2, 2007, 7:28 am CDT

I don't think Joelle will get closure !

I just want to state that this event in reading through the slide show has sort of left me confused about the truth of the matter.  Matt does seem to be stating what happened as a truth, but Joelle and her husband seem to differ with Matt in different situations. Only Joelle really knows if Matt is telling the truth. I do believe that something did happen, for Matt seems to be quite affected by this, and he's scared that she might be back teaching at his school. It's a sad state of affairs as this has happened many times here in Australia as well.  I think Joelle really should own her actions once and for all to clear this up. This case is like a catch 22.  Personally i do believe some untoward behaviour did happen, and Matt is telling the truth. Joelle has a lot to lose if she does state that she is guilty in this situation and i think that's why she's not telling the truth. It's sad that a small group of teachers, who are in a position of trust act as paedophiles the world over.   

November 2, 2007, 7:32 am CDT

Teenage Boys and Their Egos

What a fiasco!  Neither of those boys seemed credible to me.  Matt tried to act like he was the MAN, cursing, piercing eye contact - a definite sign of lying aside from the lie detector test.  Both boys and I use the word "boys" because that's what this is about.  Teenage boys who thought they were being so cool, competing with each other over their fabricated sexual experiences; a pretty teacher who made the mistake of being too friendly to them.  If she'd been an old ugly teacher, do you think these boys would have been the least bit interested in her?!  They thought she was hot.  Come on!!   Her friendliness or the way she wore her hair, choice of clothes doesn't make her an abuser or worse; however, it does make these young men totally responsible for the harm they deliberately did to her reputation just so they could brag to each other about their "coolness" their "manhood" and it appears that their families support them in perpetuating lies about the teacher.  It seems to me like the families egged on the destruction of a good teacher so their "boys" could save face for lying; consequently, you may expect to see more lies and gossip or worse from the "boys" as they get older.  It sounds like their parents have taught them that to lie is OK - to gossip is OK; to ruin someone's reputation is OK - parenting at its worse.  Sad and needlessly destructive.

November 2, 2007, 7:33 am CDT

not sure

i'm not sure about this one. i think maybe she didn't molest them, but i also don't think she is totally Innocent, either. i think she may have been flirtatious, and maybe led them on, but i don't know if she really did what they are accusing her of. i mean, why would she be sending secret coded messages to her students? that's kind-of weird.... and she wasn't reacting the way i would think someone totally Innocent would react. she always seemed to have a smirk on her face, and that whole thing with the note pad and everything.... it was like she had an answer for everything, and like she was her own lawyer. she didn't look like a real victim. but, like i said, i don't really think she molested them. i also don't always trust polygraph tests. so they could be wrong, but i'm just not sure....

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last