Message Boards

Topic : 06/13 Teacher Sex Scandal, Part 2

Number of Replies: 2643
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, October 26, 2007, 03:02:37 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 11/02/07) Dr. Phil continues his look at a teacher sex scandal that has a school and families divided in a small town in Texas. High school teacher Joelle Ogletree faces accusations of sexual misconduct with some of her male students. Joelle claims she's completely innocent but reluctantly agrees to face Matt, one of her accusers, in person. When Dr. Phil drills down into the details of the case, it's her word against his. Matt maintains that when Joelle was his high school French teacher, she came on to him. He says that as a student he received sexually explicit notes from her, but that the notes were written in code. See the encrypted messages and judge for yourself: Are they provocative or harmless? Then hear how Joelle and Matt interpret them. Plus, Matt agreed to take a polygraph test and have the results reviewed by an independent examiner. Find out what the test reveals and how Matt reacts when he hears them read aloud, as he sits face to face with Joelle. Hear both sides of this gripping sex scandal from the accuser and the accused, and judge for yourself if justice has been served. Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 2, 2007, 7:35 am CDT

Protect Yourself

Quote From: ms102806

Although I was never at a trail, to me these two shows were proof enough.  This poor woman is most definitely innocent.  In my opinion, this is how it all happened:

The boys are in high school and they have a "hot" teacher.  They begin speaking about what they wish would happen and it gets out of line.  Students go over to her house to help her out which leads to a prime opportunity for them to begin making rumors because they now have a "place where it all happened".  To me, having students over to help move something is nothing out of the ordinary.  People I know have helped high school teachers as well as college professors move things from house to house.  So now extreme rumors are started and they get leaked to the administration.  Questioning begins, hormones, and young male student egos come into play.  The boy, Matt, finds himself so deep into his lies that he can't retract what he previously said.  Now, it has all spun so out of control and this woman finds herself losing so many important things in her life.

It's really just so ridiculous and Matt's statements proved it all today.  He is clearly a liar who may, again, be so deep into his lies after 6 years that he has no convinced himself that they are true, even though none of it ever happen.
That is why it is so important to NEVER allow yourself to be put into a situation where you are alone with anyone from the opposite sex.  That is where accusations can fly and it becomes a He said She said game.  Our church is very strict regarding this issue and we are not to be alone with anyone - even a car ride.  You think your helping out but in the end it could result in the destruction of your integrity/reputation.

November 2, 2007, 7:37 am CDT

She is GUILTY!!!!!

It is so obvious that this Joelle lady is GUILTY...look at her body language...that speaks volumes about her behavior!!!!

I do also think that perhaps some of the boys exxagerated the sexual details in this case though, as they are teenagers.

This woman married her former high school teacher...that means that she knows HOW to cross the line between student and teachers!!

November 2, 2007, 7:37 am CDT

11/02 Teacher Sex Scandal, Pt. 2

Quote From: iamwhoiam112

The teacher that was involved in my situation wrote notes too and would come to my house to help me and my mom out.  

The teacher would help you and your Mom out with what?

If it was your schoolwork, then I think that's fine, although I think it would be much more appropriate to do that in a public forum, i.e., school, library, etc. And what's with the writing of notes? I just don't get that. Why not talk to a student after class instead of passing notes?

Unfortunately, professionals that are in a position of authority have to be extremely careful today. Intentions can be and are so often miscontrued.

November 2, 2007, 7:38 am CDT

student accuses teacher of sexual activity

When I was a sophomore in HS, a boy I knew but had never even dated started saying he had slept with me. Soon, a couple of other boys who I didn't even know were claiming the same thing. I found this out from girlfriends of boys who knew them. I assume they lied because they wanted to impress their friends.

November 2, 2007, 7:39 am CDT

Unbelievable

To know that this teacher has gone through the hell that she has, just upsets me the more I think about it.  What the underlying motive for those students to have done and still are doing to her I'm sure we'll never know.  I just hope that they receive the help that they truly need to deal with what didn't happen.  The fact that the school system where this happened would turn their backs on her, just disgusts me.  I am not saying that when this type of disgusting act(s) happen that school systems shouldn't act accordingly but they need to realize that every situation is not the same and to put all of these acts in one general group without investigating the alleged acts is by far the wrong approach.  What also makes this case sad is that they have essentially cried wolf for not only themselves but for all of those involved in these types of situations. 

I only hope that she will be able to return to one of the most valuable and heroic jobs out there-teaching.

I also commend Dr. Phil for bringing this to the public and showing that just because someone reports this type of horrific and disgusting type of crime, that unfortunately some of the claims may turn out to be false.

November 2, 2007, 7:42 am CDT

Admire her strength

Quote From: rhonda222

Dr. Phil commented several times about the way that she reacted to statements, and how she was addressing "little details", and going around the real issue. I have spent approx. 8 years fighting 9 custody battles over my daughter. It is apparent that she has spent many years in the court system fighting for her life, as I did my daughter's. People used to comment to me about the way that I would "respond more like a lawyer". After being in that arena for so long, you learn that you must knit pick every detail to prove your case. In many ways, I still walk thru life with that legalistic demeanor. It's survival. I get it. It didn't take away from her answers in my opinion, it just proved how damaged she is from this whole ordeal...

I agree totally!  I really admire her strength to keep it together.  Dr. Phil kept insisting that her reactions were odd, but yet I feel she was handling things exactly the way she should.  It's so easy to respond on emotion, but like another viewer wrote, she listened and responded pointing out all the inconsistencies in his statements.  I think she was extremly smart in handling the situation in this manner.

November 2, 2007, 7:45 am CDT

Leaning toward the teacher's explanation

Quote From: dutchamo

What a shame that this case has gone as far as it has.  This young man is clearly lying to himself and the whole world.  The "I don't remember it was 6 years ago", the "Uhm's and ah's, the failure of the polygraph by this young man and his cohort in Texas.  What more do people need!

After 11 years in the Foreign Exchange Business, this last year was it for me.  I had 2 cases that were similar.  In both cases the students were found to be lying, they admitted it after they were removed from the homes they were in.  Both just wanted new families so they could do what they wanted and not have any rules.  Two men almost went to prison.  For what?  Same goes here, for what???? 
I know these things do really happen, but now kids are using this as a way to destroy adults lives.  What a shame.

I find it hard to believe that this teacher or any teacher would be so blatant as to have the kind of sexual encounter in a classroom that these boys are depicting.  Unless, of course, she was in such a post partum depression that she lost ALL perspective.  I believe that the boys are in a predicament now and they dare not back down or admit what they have done.  I know that these things do happen to students and I don't want to minimize that, but I really don't believe that it happened in this case.  Boys (not all, some) will exaggerate their sexual experiences just to be part of the gang.  I was a teenager in the 50's and I know that some teenage girls had their reputations sullied because boys wanted to brag.  I haven't seen the Friday show yet, so I'm not sure what my thoughts will be after that.

November 2, 2007, 7:46 am CDT

lots of doubt

I taught for 30 years. I saw first hand what can happen when a student tells a lie and it gets picked up by parents and other students. These lies take on a life of their own and ruin lives and reputations. When I hear former  students talk about how they "got carried away" and say the incidents never really happened, I get so angry because they still don't seem to know the pain they caused these teachers. The teachers and substitute teachers I know recovered professionally, but their  pain never went away. I hope this teacher is telling the truth but she did leave herself open to doubts. There are certainly no winners here. I don't believe the boys.

November 2, 2007, 7:49 am CDT

Inappropriate Teacher

Now that I have seen the notes that the teacher gave to her student Matt, I am pretty certain that she has had some sort of inappropriate relationship with him. I knew exactly what the IWTGYHSB (or whatever) meant before the young man even translated it. First of all she should not be slipping any sort of notes to her students; and why would she even code an innocent message? Also, why did she invite students to her house? Many of her behaviors with her students are inappropriate. Quite frankly, I believe she is guilty of some sort of misconduct with her students.

November 2, 2007, 7:49 am CDT

Shame!

Quote From: dutchamo

What a shame that this case has gone as far as it has.  This young man is clearly lying to himself and the whole world.  The "I don't remember it was 6 years ago", the "Uhm's and ah's, the failure of the polygraph by this young man and his cohort in Texas.  What more do people need!

After 11 years in the Foreign Exchange Business, this last year was it for me.  I had 2 cases that were similar.  In both cases the students were found to be lying, they admitted it after they were removed from the homes they were in.  Both just wanted new families so they could do what they wanted and not have any rules.  Two men almost went to prison.  For what?  Same goes here, for what???? 
I know these things do really happen, but now kids are using this as a way to destroy adults lives.  What a shame.

There is little choice but to believe this teacher is innocent.

I believe these boys either had some kind of a grudge against this teacher or their hormones caused them to begin fantasy-sex with this woman.  What I wonder is this:  As these boys grow older and have families of their own, will they ever wonder if someone will decide to lie about them and destroy their lives? 

Even though she has never been convicted of anything and therefore is innocent, gossip has ruined her life.  Where does she go to get her reputation and her life back.  And what harm have these boys done to her child?

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last