Message Boards

Topic : 06/19 Finding Alex

Number of Replies: 187
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, November 02, 2007, 11:49:16 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 11/07/07) How do you get through to rebellious teens who think they are invincible? When Alex and her mother, Kim, last appeared on the show, Alex was an out-of-control 14-year-old who was using drugs, running away and prostituting herself to older men. The family, along with Kim’s sister-in-law, Enza, moved into The Dr. Phil House for an intervention. After attending a therapeutic academy, it seemed like the teen was on the road to recovery. But shortly after returning home to her mom, Alex was back to her bad behavior and having sex with strange men –- some of whom she met on Craigslist! She went on the lam again, and Dr. Phil recruited investigator Harold Copus to hit the streets of Seattle to find her. When Harold confronts the teen, Alex has a major meltdown, then comes clean about the risky behavior she engaged in while living on the streets. She admits to having unprotected sex with up to 50 men, so Dr. Phil has her examined for STDs and pregnancy. What will the tests reveal? Then, Alex refuses to return home to her mother. Will there ever be reconciliation, and will Alex be able to get her life back on track? Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 5, 2007, 8:10 am CST

Once More With Feeling

Perhaps Alex, Kim, and Enza are addicted to being on the Dr. Phil Show. Send them to La Hacienda.

November 6, 2007, 12:51 pm CST

Thoughts

I think that some of the teens of today need to be watched more closely. Because there are some many ways for them now a days for them to get in trouble. Part of the problem is lack of disaplain in the home. Too many broken homes these days.

November 6, 2007, 2:10 pm CST

This is ridiculous

Alex and her family have already gotten one chance more than many people in her situation will ever get.  Do they think treatment programs such as the one she went through are cheap?  And I guess having a psychologist of Dr. Phil's caliber essentially donating his time is just normal and every day? 

There are so many other people out there who need help, and because this family refused to get itself pulled together, more resources have to be poured into them.  I hope Dr. Phil makes this their last chance.  Maybe the realization that they may lose their safety net will give them a heads up.  And, as sad as it is, maybe they should be made to live with their choices as so many other people are doing even now.  Compassion and care can only go so far, people have to want to change and give it their all as well.

November 7, 2007, 1:43 am CST

HMMMMMM?

I'm wondering why things go wrong when she is with her mother? Maybe someone should be aasking the Mom more questions.

November 7, 2007, 6:28 am CST

About Alex

Dr. Phil

I have watched your show for a long time and I agree with you what Alex is doing is dangerous. My family doesn't know this but I used to meet guys from an internet swingers sex site. I only met with two couples the first time the girl never showed and the guy was too controlling telling me I was his property and the second time I met with a different couple both the guy and girl showed but again the guy was too controlling and he tried to choke me with my hair and his hand. He liked to pull hair too which I was not into. Fortunately for the circumstances in both situations there was never any sex involved with either person that I met with. In the second circumstance I was so scared uncomfortable with the whole situation that I quit meeting people from that site I don't even belong to the site anymore. Lucky for me I never posted a photo. I just started dating people outside the site. This is a true story.

Don't get me wrong I am not trying to encourage Alex's behavior just the opposite I hope that this will keep her away from the lifestyle that she has gotten into.

November 7, 2007, 7:17 am CST

She's going to RUN!

There is no way that Alex cares at all what she is doing to herself. She has tunnel vision only of the present and not seeing what will be her future.  I am a mother of a teen boy and remember very well what those days were like. I am not an expert nor claim to be but I can tell by the way she handled herself on the show and the words spoken by her "WHATEVER" she will run away from that facility in OK. She will also be so far into the States that she'll wind up so far out of reach, I only hope & pray for her that this facility has a lock down near to a jailed facility.

When the first show about this girl and her family aired I had watched very intently and did not like the aunt at all, ?is she still in the picture? And really where is the father?

The only thing I can hope for is that this show will hit home to others out there that may be going thru a similar circumstance and this will WAKE THEM UP!  In this day and age so many families forget the boundaries of parenting and the balances.  God gives us blessings, they are children. When we have them baptized we recite a prayer and are given the blessings by God to show and teach our children the right ways to live.  Many have forgotten with the stresses and pressures of our lives with so little time during the day/week too many play-dates, too many extra activities that Children can not raise themselves.

November 7, 2007, 9:00 am CST

Mom needs help, too.

Alex's mother needs to listen to herself - it's all about her:  "I want us to be together", I want you to....", "I need for you to...", "I....", "I....", "I..." - !!!  Not!  I'm nottotally convinced that she's 100% dedicated to helping Alex. I think Mom needs to make herself feel good too, and, as a parent, you can't serve your own personal desires and those of your child at the same time.  Her legal responsibility is Alex, and Alex needs to know that,  understand the ramifications of that and accept that, but Mom needs some help too.  Alex needs to interact with people in order to develop positive social interaction skills - putting her in a lock box isn't going to help her.  For example, she needs to be given a job of some sort in order to feel that her efforts have some worth and to feel success at completing a task - even if it's something as painting her room, cooking in the facility kitchen. You can't put a 15-yr. old in a locked room and say,"now think abou twhat you've done and what you want to do".  She's15!  She hasa very small frame of reference for thinking about she could do with her life.  They both need a lot of help. I'm hopeful.

November 7, 2007, 9:27 am CST

Alex

Dr. Phil, Alex has a sexual addiction.  Its not the sex; its the "high"... the adrenalin rush. 

Maybe if Alex had a new focus, like friends, a hobby etc., her need for sex with strange men (especially on CraigsList) will subside.  Alex is lucky, during her stay at the Dr. Phil house, she got tested for AIDS, pregnancy, etc and didn't have any issues.  Does she feel so bad about herself and her life that she needs to get a disease that will change or even take her life?

There's a 12-step program for sex addicts called SLAA.  Maybe her mother needs to go with Alex... let her know she has her support.  On the top of this site is a link "Dr. Phil's Advice".  There are listings of groups, organizations and programs.  

I am sitting here thinking Dr. Phil, remember the twins that were on heroin, one had a bit of a relapse, the other is working with animals (I think) and doing well.  Maybe the twins can contact Alex and tell her the consequences, along with what they went through and what it feels like to be on the path to wellness.

Pearlhanna

November 7, 2007, 9:48 am CST

the first show

I watched the Dr. Phil house when they were there.

There is a definite breakdown between the Grandmother, mother and daughter. When you got the help for the teen she should never have been allowed to go back home. Especially not that soon.

This time around, she needs intensive care along with at least a year more away from the toxic relationship with her Mom and Grandma.

November 7, 2007, 11:22 am CST

I agree

Quote From: quilterretired

Alex's mother needs to listen to herself - it's all about her:  "I want us to be together", I want you to....", "I need for you to...", "I....", "I....", "I..." - !!!  Not!  I'm nottotally convinced that she's 100% dedicated to helping Alex. I think Mom needs to make herself feel good too, and, as a parent, you can't serve your own personal desires and those of your child at the same time.  Her legal responsibility is Alex, and Alex needs to know that,  understand the ramifications of that and accept that, but Mom needs some help too.  Alex needs to interact with people in order to develop positive social interaction skills - putting her in a lock box isn't going to help her.  For example, she needs to be given a job of some sort in order to feel that her efforts have some worth and to feel success at completing a task - even if it's something as painting her room, cooking in the facility kitchen. You can't put a 15-yr. old in a locked room and say,"now think abou twhat you've done and what you want to do".  She's15!  She hasa very small frame of reference for thinking about she could do with her life.  They both need a lot of help. I'm hopeful.

I whole-heartedly agree with you. My opinion of the mother is that she knows in her heart she has neglected this girl and now she is trying to make up for it. She wants the world to think she's a "good" mom but has a hard time convincing herself.

I also think Alex needs to be as far away from her mother as possible.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last