Message Boards

Topic : 06/11 Scary Skinny

Number of Replies: 391
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, November 02, 2007, 11:53:05 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 11/16/07) We live in a culture that glamorizes svelte celebrities from Angelina Jolie to Paris Hilton. But some women put their lives in jeopardy for the sake of being skinny.  Twenty-three-year-old Jessica weighs 95 pounds and has battled anorexia for 10 years. She says she’s obsessed with exercising and counting calories, and only sees a fat woman when she looks in the mirror. Jessica’s younger sister, Theresa, fears for Jessica’s life but doesn’t know how to approach her. What’s at the root of Jessica’s disorder? Find out why the siblings say the answer lies in their childhood. Then, Jessica isn’t the only one in her family fighting anorexia. Her 12-year-old cousin, Nicole, was recently hospitalized because she lost 60 pounds in the last three months -- all in an effort to look like Nicole Richie. Don’t miss Dr. Phil’s strong message for the young women. Plus, Alita became bulimic at the age of 17 when she weighed 220 pounds. Now, at 24, she’s 95 pounds lighter but still wants to lose weight. Alita says she binges every day -- eating up to six plates of food at a time -- and then purges. She gives Dr. Phil camera crews a disturbing look at a day in her life. And, Alita’s father, Frank, worries that she’ll die if she doesn’t get help soon. Is Frank enabling her bulimia? Share your thoughts here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 6, 2007, 10:39 am CST

11/09 Scary Skinny

Quote From: dap180aa

I am so tired of reading/hearing about these anorexic or bulemic people. I saw a women with this disorder in a bikini years ago and thought I was going to be sick. How she could even psychologically believe she was fat is beyond me. However, I am so tired of this topic.

Then don't watch the show!!!

Alot of ED's stem from society's perception of what is considered beautiful. Teasing and peer pressure have a HUGE impact as well. A few months ago, my best friend's 9 year old daughter started acting very strangely. She didn't want to have ice cream when they were shopping at the mall, she said she wanted to walk around the mall instead. Now when a 9 year old doesn't want to have ice cream, you KNOW something is wrong. She didn't want to eat dinner that night either, they were at a restaurant and she barely ate anything. My friend sat down with her later that night and asked her what was wrong and she didn't want to talk about it at first, but finally she said that she was fat, she needed to lose weight. Apparently, 2 other little girls from school had teased her and called her fat, which SHE IS NOT, by any stretch of the imagination. Just one hurtful comment made her think she was fat and had her mother not intervened, she could have started down a long, difficult, unhealthy road. That's all it takes, just one thoughtless cruel comment. Read the Karen Carpenter story. One writer referred to her as "chubby" and that is what started the whole downward spiral, which ended in her untimely death.

November 7, 2007, 7:09 am CST

It Is A Never Ending Battle

Dr. Phil, I am Really waiting to see your Show on friday.

People really don't Understand this Disorder It Wrecks Havok In Every Area of One's Life. I am A 44 yr. Old Woman from Michigan. I Struggle Everyday to Tell Myself to Eat. I Was Married at 16yrs.old. And It Lasted 27yrs. I Finally Broke Free from a Very Possive Husband. I Won't Go There, But I Read a Few of the Comments on your Page I am responding to... No-one Can Understand it Unless they Live It !!!

Right Now I Weigh 103lbs.  I Have Had So Much drama Since my Divorce. My Kids Hate my Disorder but they don't even want to spend time with me. I Have No Means of Transportation so I am Again trapped. I Know that the Lack of Freedom and Choice play a Large role in the Behavior. I Went to Forest View in Grand Rapids, Michigan about maybe 10yrs. Ago. It was A Horrible experience. I Called them the Food Police. Restrictions, Restrictions. I Dont Think there will be a Day i Look In the Mirror and Like what I See.... I Know I am a Caring , Loving But yet a Extremly Emotional Woman. Now I Am On Disability living on Next to Nothing. I Want to Have My Career Back, But I am Soooo...... Afraid that if I Try I will Be Uncapable of Hanging in there. I am here to Tell Everyone, You can Struggle, Take Steps forward A few Back But to Keep trying I am Still in this World for a reason... God Only Knows why .... I Have Restricted, Purged for So many Years I Don't know how I have Managed to Stay Alive.. So For All You Girls And YES Woman Stay strong And the, One Day at A Time Advice is the BEST ADVICE OUT THERE .....I'll Be Tuning In Friday. Thanks Dr. Phil for Addressing the Problem You are an Inspiration to us all... 

November 7, 2007, 1:27 pm CST

Understanding somewhat

I can kind of undertsand about this lady on friday's show. I have had issues of food myself. i am unhappy about my body. My eating habits are strange. If i get depressed i can overeat but I actually hate eating though. i can go hours without eating. Plus i tend to exercise a lot too. but sadly only lost 21 pounds. But I am still at a healthy wieght of 160 now but feel fat. I can understand but if it's overdone then you can die that's why I don't overdo it.

November 8, 2007, 3:55 pm CST

confused about air date???

I am confused, I just got an email saying that this Friday the show is now going to be Debate Dr. Phil and the Bishop.  So when is Scary Skinny going to be on?

November 10, 2007, 7:33 am CST

If I could

Quote From: almostcrazy

Then don't watch the show!!!

Alot of ED's stem from society's perception of what is considered beautiful. Teasing and peer pressure have a HUGE impact as well. A few months ago, my best friend's 9 year old daughter started acting very strangely. She didn't want to have ice cream when they were shopping at the mall, she said she wanted to walk around the mall instead. Now when a 9 year old doesn't want to have ice cream, you KNOW something is wrong. She didn't want to eat dinner that night either, they were at a restaurant and she barely ate anything. My friend sat down with her later that night and asked her what was wrong and she didn't want to talk about it at first, but finally she said that she was fat, she needed to lose weight. Apparently, 2 other little girls from school had teased her and called her fat, which SHE IS NOT, by any stretch of the imagination. Just one hurtful comment made her think she was fat and had her mother not intervened, she could have started down a long, difficult, unhealthy road. That's all it takes, just one thoughtless cruel comment. Read the Karen Carpenter story. One writer referred to her as "chubby" and that is what started the whole downward spiral, which ended in her untimely death.

To be honest, if I could purge, I would. Luckily or maybe not, I have some kind of throat problem and would no doubt choke to death, if I tried.  I am obease and I hate it. and myself . I do have days of feeling like, 'why go on.'

Here's the thing.  I don't eat large amounts of things but I eat the wrong things to loose weight. I eat pretty normal foods most all day.  I don't have more then one piece of meat or whatever.  But I do often wonder " Why can't I say no to that dish of ice cream at night?"  In a way, I think I have the same problem as the anorexic, but opposite of them.  It's some kind of mental thing.  Of course, I do have a few tumors on the thyroid and have had thyroid problems since I carried my second child.  Little by little and with age coming on, I began to gain weight.  It was hardly noticable at first.  And I had some very strong reasons to 'just give up'  And i"m sorry to say , I did.  Stupid on my part.     Now I'm depressed and don't see any hope for me.

I used to dance, alone, for about two hours a day. My husband worked and my kids were in school, so besides all the care of the house I managed to dance. There were no witnesses.   lol....... I think this really helped keep the weight off. I also walked three miles every night with a friend.  But we moved away and since then I've been pretty much   alone and in hiding.  There are all kinds of sickness and hurt that cause people to do things that arn't good for them.  I feel doomed.  I'm sure these anorexics feel the same way.  It is hopeless. Hopefully Dr. Phil can help these poor women.  I feel so bad for them.  I know what they mean about seeing themselves as fat.  It's not as simple as saying "don't eat" or EAT.  There's something else going on in that persons' head.   I don't know what but I know it's true.   

Biggots make remarks and give you looks that are so hurtful. It's like you're not suppose to like yourself Or even be worthy of breathing.  If anyone says a nasty thing to me, I say this.  "I know I'm fat but maybe some day I will lose the weight, YOU on the other hand are UGLY, and NOTHING can change that."  That has always shut them up and maybe taught them to more careful how they insult people.  Especially when they are with their friends.   . I'm not sorry I say it.  People deserve to be told off when they think they are any better then me or ANYONE ELSE.  Who died and made them Emperor? And frankly, you know, THEY ARE ugly, inside at least. 

I don't understand exactly what causes anorexia.  I have a friend whose daughter got this way in collage.  The thing is. she was nerver fat. Not even a little.  So it was some kind of control thing, I guess. I was so shocked, because of all the kids, she was the sweetest, nicest , smartest girl.  Maybe it's too hard to be perfect.  

One thing I will warn you of.  McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's and all the other fast food chains will be your down fall. It's not that I had two or three meals at a time.  But I ate there almost every day. I was seemingly addicted to that food.  I love McDonald's food but it has ruined my life.  If I didn't get food, I at least got a coke every single day. Now I have iced tea and Equal and the food just doens't taste that good any more.  Thank Heavens for that!!  I know the food is great tasting for most people, but don't go there.  For God's sake, don't take your children there.  It's a very bad habit.  It's OK when you're in the prime of life and you're active but when you get older and it's a nasty habit you might not be able to break.   You can't do enough to burn those empty calories.  Please, STAY AWAY FROM FAST FOOD PLACES.  No matter what!!!!! Remember, anything that taste good or is fun, is usally bad for you.

November 10, 2007, 8:12 am CST

11/16 Scary Skinny

Quote From: millermeg

I am confused, I just got an email saying that this Friday the show is now going to be Debate Dr. Phil and the Bishop.  So when is Scary Skinny going to be on?
I received a call from the show and it's been re-scheduled for Friday, November 16th. "Dog, the bounty hunter" took it's slot this week.

November 10, 2007, 10:45 am CST

repulsive is a better word

Must we do this again?  This program topic is the only one that offends me enough to not watch Dr. Phil's show.  Judgemental of me?  Not sure, because it's the only one.  This topic is all about being self absorbed....not the other way around. 

November 10, 2007, 10:52 am CST

Doctor Phil Show

Doctor Phil Scary Skinny. That I never have heard that before. But I will see anyway.  Be good. See you on---

Friday 16th, 2007. Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.----------------------------------------------------------------------

November 10, 2007, 11:18 am CST

Scary Skinny - Friend's Daughter

I know someone who weighs less than 75 lbs. right now.  No, she's not a baby; she's in her 40's!  She has been sick since she was in her teens.  The doctor she sees is amazed she has lasted this long without enough food to make her gain weight.  About a week ago she was rushed to the hospital AGAIN because she has bleeding ulcers in her stomache.  The doctors didn't want to operate thinking she was die on the operating table so they just cotterized her stomache and sent her home a week later.  Her mother is now her nursemaid and has to do everything for her because she is still too weak to do anything for herself.  My friend is at her wit's end and is getting sick herself trying to deal with her daughter for so long.  She is out of solutions, patience and her mind with grief.  Any suggestions?

November 10, 2007, 1:27 pm CST

Jessica's eating disorder

Jessica is a beautiful woman, but such whining is difficult to listen to when so many other young people have ailments that show and they have to work with society, uncomfortable in their appearance every day.  I know she suffers from a "real disorder" but stop whining and start eating.  What she is doing is very unhealthy, and hard on her heart. Thanks for helping her, Dr. Phil, by being blunt regarding the truth.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last