Message Boards

Topic : 06/11 Scary Skinny

Number of Replies: 391
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, November 02, 2007, 11:53:05 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 11/16/07) We live in a culture that glamorizes svelte celebrities from Angelina Jolie to Paris Hilton. But some women put their lives in jeopardy for the sake of being skinny.  Twenty-three-year-old Jessica weighs 95 pounds and has battled anorexia for 10 years. She says she’s obsessed with exercising and counting calories, and only sees a fat woman when she looks in the mirror. Jessica’s younger sister, Theresa, fears for Jessica’s life but doesn’t know how to approach her. What’s at the root of Jessica’s disorder? Find out why the siblings say the answer lies in their childhood. Then, Jessica isn’t the only one in her family fighting anorexia. Her 12-year-old cousin, Nicole, was recently hospitalized because she lost 60 pounds in the last three months -- all in an effort to look like Nicole Richie. Don’t miss Dr. Phil’s strong message for the young women. Plus, Alita became bulimic at the age of 17 when she weighed 220 pounds. Now, at 24, she’s 95 pounds lighter but still wants to lose weight. Alita says she binges every day -- eating up to six plates of food at a time -- and then purges. She gives Dr. Phil camera crews a disturbing look at a day in her life. And, Alita’s father, Frank, worries that she’ll die if she doesn’t get help soon. Is Frank enabling her bulimia? Share your thoughts here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 10, 2007, 6:00 pm CST

so is so sad, as I think

#1. when nothing is never good enough

by the vehicles you drive, house you live in, stuff you have inside your house or other wise,{how nice you keep your decor or house clean}, your religious preferences, your nationality{black, white, Asian, or Mexican, etc.} You{your too skinny, your too fat, your nose is too big, or too small, your butt is too big or too small, your facial features, your hair, you are looking older, you look too young, you never have enough money, or have enough money but, don't share it, if you get a pedicure or manicure or {can't even afford it ever}, your clothes, {are they trendy, are they nice}, and on and on and on!

Wow, just take a look at some of the stress people can actually have.

#2. MEAN PEOPLE
. why do people always have to be so mean to others?
Why can't everyone just get along, via your religious preferences, or nationality?

then this lady asked me via a conversation on this topic:

If there is only one Heaven and most of us will be lucky enough to go there, then why the urgency to have enough and then the judgment we get by people, if we can't?

I agreed with her. It has never made any sense to me.

Thank God, we live by:

It is not what you have, it is whom you are that counts!

my wish is that everyone can get along, and stop worrying about their weight.

Why does society do this to us? Poor Lady.

November 11, 2007, 9:02 am CST

This DOES help people

I'm glad that Dr. Phil does his shows because there are girls and women right now who are anorexic and bulimic and need to know and understand that help is available for them and that they CAN get better with treatment.

My boss had to quit his job on Tuesday because they realized she's anorexic and buliimic, she's only 12. And I really miss him, but I would rather know that his daughter is going to get better and overcome this distortive problem.

It's like when my daughter was being molested and she saw 20/20 and Montel do shows on sexual abuse, it gave her the strength to tell me and get help for us. That was last year in June.

People just don't like the idea of listening to horrible stories, but ignorance only breeds the issues, it doesn't address them and it doesn't get people who are suffering any type of problem the help they deserve. Everyone with issues does deserve help, some get private help and some go on talk shows to help others as well as help themselves. I truly believe that is the only way to get past a lot of issues, to help others get help too.

November 11, 2007, 9:36 am CST

11/16 Scary Skinny

I am looking forward to this show, as well. 

I absolutely love Dr. Phil, and believe he has so much information and advice to share that it is unreal.  I seem to take something out of every show, but this show in particular I hope to take some useful information and guidance from.  It's a subject that I can relate to in many different ways.

I'm sure Dr. Phil will change a lot of lives on Friday. :)

November 11, 2007, 9:48 am CST

Scary Skinny could be about a long list of illnesses, I look forward to it with excitment!

Unless you have suffered from or had a family member suffer from a seriuos mental disorder you will never understand what this is like. I have fought various disorders and diseases over my 55 years and know first hand how shattering it can be. So many people blow these illnesses off as just some kind of hangup this or that person has, but it isn't that at all. I'm very concerned for this young lady and pray Dr. Phil can help her.

November 11, 2007, 12:35 pm CST

scary skinny

hi dr phil firstly i love your show and i have learnt so much from you.im looking forward to fridays show as it

is a topic that not only frustrates me but also worries me.as a parent of 3 young girls i cant tell you the amount of times i have had to console my 8 yr old daughter as she gets called names at school like fatty etc .i might add she is not even overweight she is a healthy girl who eats properly and she is involved in sporting activities.its society doing this and the stick thin celebrities who are in actual fact like illusions because alot of celebrities can afford cosmetic surgery and the very best trainers in the world.some children as young as 6 are purging and dieting and that is such a tragedy as their little bodies need food to help their bones grow .my children often look to these celebrities as their role models but in actual fact this could b dangerous as they are only teaching my children to feel inferior.whilst i admit in my day at times having my fat days it wasnt as prevalent as it is now and the role models we had back then were rounder and not sickly looking thankyou dr phil ill b watching friday and congrats to jay on his wedding 

November 12, 2007, 11:17 am CST

Scary Skinny

Quote From: jmjacobsen

The great thing about TV's is,,,,,,you can change channels. If you are tired of the topic, you are free to watch something else. There are many sides to eating disorders, as there are with most other addictions. Anorexia and bulemia kill THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of OUR children each year.

This upcomming show is very close to me too. I'm a 53 year old guy and also the next door neighbor to Alita, the second girl who will be on the show. I've seen her go from a beautiful talented little girl to a skeleton of a person that was near death. We've lived next door to her and her family for 14 years and i'm SO thankful that the show choose to bring her on and get her help.

Just because you don't understand it, please don't minimize their struggles and the seriousness of their diseases.

Mark

I agree 150% with you Mark.....If your sick of the topic just don't watch it.  There are thousands of young ladies in this country fighting this disease that can benefit from this watching this show.  It's a serious physical and mental disease.  I can think of a hand full of times when a good friend of mine who is fighting this awful disease told me how great and skinny I looked when in realty she was always at least 20-30 pounds less than me, sick and dying.  I think that Jessica on the scary skinny show has a huge amount of courage and I am sincerely proud of her.   Thank you Jessica for helping yourself and many many others.

-Jessica's High School Friend

November 13, 2007, 6:04 am CST

Last Friday - Nov. 9th

Hi, I would like to know why last Friday's show was changed to this Friday - Nov. 16th instead? I think that Eating Disorders are much more important than anything that's going on in Dog The Bounty Hunter's life. People are dying from these diseases and they don't really care to know what's going in some celebrities's life and what effect it might have on the public. I very much look forward to watching this Friday's show. I went through anorexia a few years ago and now that I'm fully recovered, I would like to try and help other people who are suffering through this mind altering disease.

November 13, 2007, 8:26 am CST

Scared Skinny

Quote From: toughlove1963

Dr. Phil, I am Really waiting to see your Show on friday.

People really don't Understand this Disorder It Wrecks Havok In Every Area of One's Life. I am A 44 yr. Old Woman from Michigan. I Struggle Everyday to Tell Myself to Eat. I Was Married at 16yrs.old. And It Lasted 27yrs. I Finally Broke Free from a Very Possive Husband. I Won't Go There, But I Read a Few of the Comments on your Page I am responding to... No-one Can Understand it Unless they Live It !!!

Right Now I Weigh 103lbs.  I Have Had So Much drama Since my Divorce. My Kids Hate my Disorder but they don't even want to spend time with me. I Have No Means of Transportation so I am Again trapped. I Know that the Lack of Freedom and Choice play a Large role in the Behavior. I Went to Forest View in Grand Rapids, Michigan about maybe 10yrs. Ago. It was A Horrible experience. I Called them the Food Police. Restrictions, Restrictions. I Dont Think there will be a Day i Look In the Mirror and Like what I See.... I Know I am a Caring , Loving But yet a Extremly Emotional Woman. Now I Am On Disability living on Next to Nothing. I Want to Have My Career Back, But I am Soooo...... Afraid that if I Try I will Be Uncapable of Hanging in there. I am here to Tell Everyone, You can Struggle, Take Steps forward A few Back But to Keep trying I am Still in this World for a reason... God Only Knows why .... I Have Restricted, Purged for So many Years I Don't know how I have Managed to Stay Alive.. So For All You Girls And YES Woman Stay strong And the, One Day at A Time Advice is the BEST ADVICE OUT THERE .....I'll Be Tuning In Friday. Thanks Dr. Phil for Addressing the Problem You are an Inspiration to us all... 

I also would like to applaud you so much for being so honest and meaningful in your reply regarding the Dr. Phil show on Friday Scared Skinny. Your life seems very much similar to one that I am living now also. I am 38 years old and have been a bulimic since the age of 15 years old. I am also a recovering alcoholic. Which lately I have been slipping.  My bulimia is every single day no matter how much I pray to God to give me the strength not to purge. I don't see how I am alive today, I know its only by the Grace of God. I was hospitalized last January in a Psychiatric Hospital for eating disorders and they committed me for 30 days after me trying to leave after a day. It done nothing for me. Very strict, and as you said restrictions, restrictions, restrictions. My lowest weight was 96 pounds, I'm 5'4. I currently started drinking again because I have nothing else to lose and hopefully something will end this thing I call life. When I drink I gain weight so I'm up over 100 now. And the way my cycle goes is I'll quit drinking and just purge 5 or 6 times a day and I lose the weight. What I life huh? My marriage is horrible I only wish I had the nerve to leave him, but he threatens me that I'll never see my kids because I'm a drunk and I'm psycho, I don't work I basically sit here hoping for death so that I can be released from these diseases.

Nobody understands eating disorders, they believe its all in our minds, yeah it is in my mind 24 hours/7 days a week. I'm scared because I know I'm losing control again of everything. I am looking forward to Dr. phils show as well hoping to try and get some type of input or some type of other means of help.

November 13, 2007, 9:49 am CST

11/16 Scary Skinny

Quote From: jamico

Hi, I would like to know why last Friday's show was changed to this Friday - Nov. 16th instead? I think that Eating Disorders are much more important than anything that's going on in Dog The Bounty Hunter's life. People are dying from these diseases and they don't really care to know what's going in some celebrities's life and what effect it might have on the public. I very much look forward to watching this Friday's show. I went through anorexia a few years ago and now that I'm fully recovered, I would like to try and help other people who are suffering through this mind altering disease.
I guess it's all about ratings. I agree that "Dog" does not compare to what is going on with our kids but that's not our call. Hopefully, the show will stay on Friday.

November 13, 2007, 5:32 pm CST

cant wait

Hello all. I am currently suffering from annorexia and I must say, it is one of the hardest things I have ever had to deal with in my life. Almost as soon as I recovered from using drugs for 2 yrs, I became obsessed with my weight. Went from one addiction to another. It is a horrible thing to live with and I wish I was not like this, so obsessed with my weight, calories, and bones. I am so glad that Dr. Phil is having this show on Friday and it is only Tuesday, but I can't wait untill Friday at 3:00. lol. I will be sitting waiting in front of the tv. By having girls like me on tv talk about their problems and day to day struggles, it really gets the message out there and lets others know they are not alone. It lets others know what this disease is really all about that may not know, or may be ignorant to it. I hope the girls on Fridays show can get the help they need from Dr. Phil and his team. Thank you Dr. Phil for having this show.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last