Message Boards

Topic : 11/09 Debate Dr. Phil and the Bishop

Number of Replies: 1747
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Wednesday, November 07, 2007, 01:51:45 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
From a celebrity’s controversial meltdown caught on tape to nooses cropping up around the country, Dr. Phil and Bishop T.D. Jakes tackle tough racial issues. First up, Dog the Bounty Hunter spewed slurs in a phone conversation with his son, Tucker, and used the N-word repeatedly when referring to Tucker’s black girlfriend, Monique. Monique’s mother, Linda Shinnery, joins the Dr. Phil show via satellite and says she was appalled by Dog’s tirade. Should the reality TV star lose his job over a private conversation? Civil rights activist Al Sharpton, rapper Master P, and BET correspondent Jeff Johnson weigh in. Then, nooses, a symbol of hatred for African-Americans, are cropping up more and more across the country – from Jena, Louisiana to Columbia University in New York. Najee Ali, founder and co-director of Project Islamic Hope, shares his views on empowering the black community and combating stereotypes. Don’t miss this intense debate about racism and sensitivity in America, and find out how you can educate your children. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 8, 2007, 3:37 am CST

Dog the bounty hunter

I listen to Dog on Larry King, and I believe he should continue in his show. I do not think he should of said the n word, but the man admits he needs to change how he speaks. This man is a Christain that has come a long ways. He needs to be encouraged, and learn from his mistakes. I really appreciate Dr. Phil having T D Jakes on his program, and expect to see good changes for people to be more tolerate.

November 8, 2007, 3:39 am CST

11/09 Debate Dr. Phil and the Bishop

No i don't think that the Dog should lose his job over a private conversation!!!  His good out weights the bad in IMO. You have "the black rappers using it all the time in the wrong context" so why should everyone 'Other than black people be excepted to"  I know the word is black ( and just before u start yelling at me I AM BLACK") A&E should not cancel his show over this. I think it would be a very big mistake.He said he was sorry so why is everyone making this such a big deal. Again it was a private convo with his son. we don't know all the facts and yet we are here judging this man because he said a word to his son out of anger. I know for a fact the Black people use it out of anger ALL the time, and i don't see Al sharpton coming down on them! 

November 8, 2007, 3:45 am CST

Given You a Break!

Racial epithats have been used by many Americans in reference to The key word hate. People get angry and when they do their is a tendcy inherit to people to revert to an angry state and vent their fusrations in a way not that does not cause harm physical yet emotional and then again maybe not so emotional as this applys to the context , State of Mind.

Symbolist that are harmful in nature those being, Hung noose, Burning crosses and the such other symbolisms that are hateful by nature, Shows an ignorance unjustifiable by standard of American Value.  These acts are by nature being punishable should be set example of the intolerances of their ignorances.

Epidemics caused by the used symbols of hate and racial words need only be prefaces to a larger epidemic being murder by hate.

November 8, 2007, 3:52 am CST

WHEN IS PRIVATE,PRIVATE?

I AM SURE AS PARENTS WE HAVE ALL SAID OR DONE SOMETHING WE REGRET THINKING WE WERE DOING IT IN THE BEST INTEREST OF OUR CHILDREN.   I DO NOT BELIEVE A PHONE CONVERSATION BETWEEN A SON AND HIS FATHER SHOULD ANYWAY BE MADE PUBLIC NOR USED AGAINST HIM IN ANYWAY.  DAWG MESSED UP HE KNOWS IT NOW THE WORLD KNOWS IT, BUT IT WAS A PRIVATE CONVERSATION AND I THINK HIS SON IS ON A GET EVEN KICK NOTHING MORE.  IT WOULD BE LIKE OUR CHILD TAPING A PRIVATE MOMENT IN THE WASHROOM/ BEDROOM AND SELLING IT.  IT WAS WRONG AND I THINK THAT DAWG HAS PAID ENOUGH FOR HIS MISTAKE

November 8, 2007, 3:55 am CST

dogg

Are you serious???? Ok dogg should not loose his show over a private conversation with a family member. And the reason i say this is... ITS JUST A WORD!!!! ok if  you dont like it you might as well board yourself up in your house.  Why is it that if a white person says they N word we are automaticly all over tv news stands ect. but if some one calls a white person  a honky, redneck ect we just write it off??? and black people who get offended by the n word... well then stop calling each other that!!! stop sayin what up N****! grow up its just a word and if you cant handle it then put in ear plugs!

November 8, 2007, 4:09 am CST

Upcoming debate on Racism on Friday

I think that Bill Cosby would have been an important guest to have on this show.  He has been doing a lot to "wake up" and inspire the black community at large to do what is necessary to change the sterotype of black people. 

November 8, 2007, 4:12 am CST

not just black/white

I'm Jewish, aged 60 living in Carrollton, Ga.  Front page news Tuesday--a Jewish resident findsStars of David and slurs scrawled on her house.   Front page news Thursday-- A huge lighted cross is erected at the city limits in front of the new stadium cinemas.  We saw it going up.  My husband first thought it was going to be a utility pole.  I thought the empty car dealership behind it was to be converted to a church.  Now we have that, a statue of Jesus in front of the now dry lake bed, and paid bill boards letting everyone know Jesus lives in Carrollton.  Someone needs to tell Jesus to get a grip on his followers.  In this area Jews hide.  My husband did not know he was Jewish until he found out as an adult.  It seems the family felt that what he did not know would keep him safe.  This method is still being practiced here. 

November 8, 2007, 4:15 am CST

11/09 Debate Dr. Phil and the Bishop

I love dog and I don't believe he is a racist. Quite a few of us have been raised with this vocabulary. That doesn't make it right, but it slips out. My dad was an Archie Bunker type, and although I think he was wrong, I think we sometimes use the n-word to describe an attitude or lifestyle rather than a color. I think people need to stop pretending this word never gets or got used. It is regular vocabulary in some parts of the world(including mine-southern Ohio). I don't like it and I'm not defending it, but like teens having sex, stop denying, It's happening!!! There's no educating it out of some folks. However, I think Dog can turn around!!!

November 8, 2007, 4:23 am CST

Debate Dr.Phil and the Bishop

Dear Dr.Phil,

I find this trend of these nooses as symbols of black hatred so worrying because racism still seems to exist in a world where we, as human beings haven't learnt anything from past history, where the Klu Klux Klan ran rampant in the south. Where slaves were transported over from Africa and used for the white man's pleasure.  It's just so tragic that racism always rears it's ugly head in some way or form. I am a white woman by the way, and i feel ashamed at times to be white.

Sincerely,

Lory(Australia)   

November 8, 2007, 4:23 am CST

Racism

As long as parents raise their children to have hate in their hearts, racism will never end. You are not born being a racist; however, you are taught to be one. It's a generational problem. Why does it always have to be about color ? People should be judged on behavior and how we treat one another. It shouldn't matter what race you are, but should be about the individual. The only reason the "Bounty Hunter" incident is an issue is because of money and greed. Why are we fueling this issue? Because they have it on tape. It would not be an issue otherwise (except between the family and that's where it should have stayed). 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last