Message Boards

Topic : 06/17 A Daughter in Danger? Part 2

Number of Replies: 956
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, November 08, 2007, 07:39:52 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 11/15/07) Dr. Phil continues the story of a young woman who made international headlines when she ran away to Palestine to be with a man she met on the Internet when she was just 16. Katherine was stopped by the FBI and brought back home, but two years later and now an adult, she’s left the United States again to be with Abdullah, the man she says she loves and wants to marry. Katherine’s terrified family thinks she is being brainwashed, and may never be allowed to return home. They say they’ve witnessed Abdullah’s violent temper when he’s verbally abused her over the phone. Now, in an exclusive interview via satellite, Dr. Phil speaks with Katherine and Abdullah together. Is Abdullah lying about letting Katherine return home? Is this couple already married? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 14, 2007, 2:11 pm CST

u guys dont know him

y do yal assume the worst? maybe he learned the wrong english words sounds like his english is kida poor i see no marks on her maybe they do love eachother she needs to make mistakes to learn from them not all arab men are bad yal always assume the worst

November 14, 2007, 3:19 pm CST

dating a man outside the us

I knew the day  I saw the previews on this show I had to watch it. I am currently in the same situation, dating a man although not in the middle east, but outside the country. He and I have also agreed to be married, and there is a since of rush on his part but not on mine. Although for us it has been almost a year since we first met, and I have fallen in love and plan to marry him as well.  I felt the need to get to know him first. It is hard to know of someone that many miles away, the phone, and internet and lettters helps a little, but its not like spending time in person.  I have questioned him extensivelly as to why he wants to marry an american, and the answer is always the same, vaguely I just always wanted an american. This I hate to hear, but is his reaction.  I will admit that I am afraid as hell to go to his country, and I worry if he is lying to me as well. I am a lot older than katherine and my fiance is a lot older than her boyfriend.  However my fiance does not use profanity, is not a muslim, and loves me totally. I dont quite understand the fuss, although the middle east is a very scary place to be, and i would never go there.

November 14, 2007, 3:22 pm CST

dating outside the usa

I hate to sound like the devils advocate, but u never know where u might find love. A lot of Arab men are not suckers, and know very much what they want out of life.  I believe he may love her and she loves him, its just a culture difference. Im dating a man who is very different from myself, and I love him alot, and he loves me. Also we are not to young teens in love but full flege adults. 

November 14, 2007, 4:03 pm CST

11/15 A Daughter in Danger? Part 2

Quote From: lutherniveen

Oh my God, this man doesn't love her at all. I am Palestinian too and I know how the Palestinians in Gaza strip are living they are looking for any chance to leave Gaza. I believe that Kathrien is very good opportunity to help Abdullah to have American passport and to live in USA in the future.

There are some Islamic groups in Gaza who try to converts the Christians to Islam and persecute the Christians and hate the Americans for being aggressive to us by giving power to Israel.

Last several months a Christian was killed in Gaza strip, his guilt is being Christian serving Christ. I believe that Abdullah is using Katherine and she has to return to her homeland. Love is not everything in the world. Her love to him will not protect her and keep her safe from him. Go to Gaza and you will understand much more. She is in danger indeed. She need somebody to help her.

You say you are Palestinian but you don't even know this couple. Also I don't know what kind of agenda you have by talking about Christian oppression but it's irrelevant. Also do you realize that there are millions of Christians living extremely well in the Middle East. I know this firsthand. Egypt has 20 MILLION Christian, Palestine, Jordan, and Lebanon have million more. You cannot assume she is in danger, I find a lot of what you're saying to be bigotted.

November 14, 2007, 11:46 pm CST

A Survivor's Warning

I can really relate to Katherine--and even when her family calls her "stupid" and "crazy". That's how I feel now--both stupid and crazy, after having met someone online, entered into a relationship and suffered years of abuse though, at the time I was convinced I was "in love".

I was Katherine's age when I went online at my high school, there was no talk of internet safety. Kids were shown how to use the internet and make web pages. I was one of many who went into chat rooms during school hours. I did not have my real name online but I used my real age and location. That was enough for someone to find me, using the "online now" feature and begin to correspond. The person immediately showed alot of attention, with a focus on meeting in person. It was a much older man who told me all the things young girls like to hear--you are pretty, you are smart, your parents don't understand. Then it got into the talk about our special connection, I am the only one he can trust--he has never felt this way about anyone else. I met in person and was a bit nervous because this person was trying to get too close too fast, and was insisting on a relationship. Then again he wasn't like the teenage boys that burp in your face and take you to fast food dates, so I figured we still had a chance. Eventually I was drawn into this man's life--in part because I was so ashamed of things that had happened between us, and clinging to the hope that things would change. It's better to get out early because when things get bad, it will be much more difficult to leave. I began to go into denial to survive, to forgive all his faults and accept the insults hurled at me. It was easier to believe I was a bitch or stupid than to believe the man I loved was hurting me. My spirit was broken. All I knew was to stay silent and pretend everything was fine.

I spent years in an abusive relationship with a man who I believe has done similar things to other young girls. This man has no close adult friends. He choses young girls from single parent homes, coming from troubled backgrounds to "rescue". He adapts all his interests to be exactly what yours are. He uses his own troubled childhood to win sympathy. Once you feel so in love, and so together--the isolation and abuse begin. When I finally left, I was so in denial that it took him actually laying his hands on me for me to recognize the abuse. Even then I couldn't go to a battered women's shelter--I didn't feel I "deserved" it. I am working very hard to heal--and it gets better, each day of freedom and joy erases a little of the pain. Yet I am afraid for my safety and that he will hurt me. I am living in the worst kind of poverty imaginable. I suffer nightmares. I would not wish this experience on anyone. It's so important that parents stay involved, and do what they can to monitor online activity. And for girls--there is no prince charming that will find you online and bring you to a castle. Don't compromise who you are for anyone--or risk your life for a man. Love will not hurt you, Love will not cause fear. Love will not isolate you from your family. Love will build you up and make you a stronger person. That love begins in yourself, not online. You don't need a computer to be popular or cool. Turn it off. Spend your time taking care of yourself and working towards your dreams.

Best, Juliet

November 15, 2007, 4:22 am CST

Culture

She should ask, what would happen to an 18yr old muslim girl, who left her parents home to go live with  her boyfriend ? Would his parents allow / tolerate their daughter doing the same  as what she has done ? Honor killings still happen.

And she thinks she can raise the children to choose their religion, or even learn about hers - think again.

November 15, 2007, 5:56 am CST

Come on now

Quote From: shisha4

You say you are Palestinian but you don't even know this couple. Also I don't know what kind of agenda you have by talking about Christian oppression but it's irrelevant. Also do you realize that there are millions of Christians living extremely well in the Middle East. I know this firsthand. Egypt has 20 MILLION Christian, Palestine, Jordan, and Lebanon have million more. You cannot assume she is in danger, I find a lot of what you're saying to be bigotted.

It doesn't take a board certified psychologist to see she is in danger. If things were perfectly fine then why does he have to monitor every phone call she makes? Why is he so rude and disrespectful to her family? Come on now and put two and two together. You don't have to know this couple to see that something doesn't add up. There many be many of Christians living well in the middle east, but why are they there? Do they long to live in that country, or are they working there? I cannot imagine that someone with a sound mind would WANT to live there.Also, comparing Egypt to Palestine is like comparing a prison to a five star hotel.

November 15, 2007, 6:12 am CST

myspace focus

why is it that everything bad that happens over the internet has to happen on MySpace. Just because of a few kids that don't have the sense and the parental control not to meet with strangers. I personally met my husband on MySpace and if it weren't for that particular website, I truly believe we wouldn't have met. I am truly sorry to all the parents who have had something horrible happen to their children after meeting someone on MySpace, but it happens on other websites too. Why does MySpace have to get all the bad press?

November 15, 2007, 7:00 am CST

This is so sad!  It is brain washing, even the sister is brained washed calling the killing of inocent people a "holy war"  I do hope you all understand that the is no such thing as a holy war.  I am sorry for the mother who needs to face a reality she knows nothing about,  Ramalla is not Israel!  It is a whole different world in any way you can think about!  There is not enough space here to expalain!  She is a victim, he is using her to get here and plan another 9/11!  They all want to come here and when they are here, they only talk about how much they hate America and Americans!  They want to have sex, but not with one of their own (or she will be killed by her own parents!), but once they had the sex, the American woman is called a hore.  Get to this girl before it is too late!  She is there inlove and probably enchanted by the family closness she sees, without understanding the danger she is in.  I hope there is a happy ending to this story

November 15, 2007, 7:02 am CST

Quote From: shisha4

I think you are naive, or dumb to thnk this poster is bigotted. She is absolutely correct. I live with my daughter here in the states who is married to a man from Palestine (Jordan) at first he said this man family will let her go home if she wants to, but when I told him don't stick up you them because they come from where you come from, be honest, this family may not be like your family, when he heard she was in the Gaza Strip my son-in-law said oh she's gone. I am watching the second part right now, Katherine is saying what she is saying ecause she was told what to say before hand, meaning she was told if they say this you say this......it is naive to thnk she is speaking freely. Whatever Abdullah tells her she beleives, he most likely told her that whatever you say in privite I will know, somone I know is taping this so if  you say anything wrong I will find out and you wil never go home, it s a threat to Katherine. 

Also my son-in-law sad it is true that when a muslim man marries a Christian women it is his duty to convert her to musim, the reason men are allowed to marry Christians are for that purpose, muslim women are not allowed to to marry a Christian man, they are not strong enough to convert their husbands.

Now I hear that Katherine's family did have her watch "not without my daughter" and it made no impact on her, her reply was childish and very Naive "that is a different area" coming from a young girl that just admitted that she knows nothing of their country or culture, she didn't study it inschool. Now I just watched the previews for tomorrows show and Katherine admitts Abdullah has been abusive towards her, now that Dr. Phil got her home (Praise GOD) the truth comes out.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last