Message Boards

Topic : 06/17 A Daughter in Danger? Part 2

Number of Replies: 956
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, November 08, 2007, 07:39:52 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 11/15/07) Dr. Phil continues the story of a young woman who made international headlines when she ran away to Palestine to be with a man she met on the Internet when she was just 16. Katherine was stopped by the FBI and brought back home, but two years later and now an adult, she’s left the United States again to be with Abdullah, the man she says she loves and wants to marry. Katherine’s terrified family thinks she is being brainwashed, and may never be allowed to return home. They say they’ve witnessed Abdullah’s violent temper when he’s verbally abused her over the phone. Now, in an exclusive interview via satellite, Dr. Phil speaks with Katherine and Abdullah together. Is Abdullah lying about letting Katherine return home? Is this couple already married? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 15, 2007, 7:06 am CST

11/15 A Daughter in Danger? Part 2

Quote From: bluitexan20000

y do yal assume the worst? maybe he learned the wrong english words sounds like his english is kida poor i see no marks on her maybe they do love eachother she needs to make mistakes to learn from them not all arab men are bad yal always assume the worst
I will assume you are a young girl with your naiveness (sp) of course not all Arab men are bad, not all white men are either, or black men, or asian men... BUT SOME ARE. Being able to speak english has nothing to do with how he treats her, talks to her. Seeing marks on her, they are new right now but it doesn't mean he hasn't hit her or bit her (they are good at that) Don't be so naive about men

November 15, 2007, 7:20 am CST

well, well I huess a Mother knows best.....

I see at the end of today's show...Katherine DOES come home on Friday AND he WAS beating, and threatening her. I am dissapointed Dr. Phil didn't say when that follow show airs? I would like to finish the story..though the previews does show her here and him there and very angry.

November 15, 2007, 7:33 am CST

LET ME HELP YOU GET HER HOME

I would love to help you get her home. It's what i do....

November 15, 2007, 7:45 am CST

Daughter in Danger

Quote From: princessgina

I think this girl maybe brainwashed why would she stay with a dude that is abusive? I think he is just using her to get a greencard. I am betting dollars to doughnuts she had already elopted with this dude.  Her mom needs to get her daughter out of this quick before something real bad happens to her.
She is definitely in danger.  By coming there without a parent, and when she was 16 originally, and by living with him before marriage, his culture sees her as a whore.  He will treat her accordingly.  He has probably confiscated her passport, so she might think she can't get away.  Her mom needs to GO THERE immdeiately to "visit" her daughter.  She should take several relatives along, including at least one male, preferrably a big burly one.  If Katherine wants to leave, get her to the consulate, and make sure they brought identifying documents.  A passport can be issued on the spot.  Get her out if she's at all willing.  If not, keep some family there and build a rapport with his family so you can get her out when she's ready. This must be done before she has kids, or he'll do anything to keep them.  In that culture, kids go with the father after a split.  Also, pray.

November 15, 2007, 8:09 am CST

I was able to read your message....

Quote From: michelebr

Most 18 year olds don't understand what it means to love someone and surely her parents warned her that women have no rights in the Middle East.  It's too bad she is going through this and maybe this experience will help her prevent a worse situation in the future.  I am sorry for the pain and suffering her parents are experiencing.

You are ASSUMING that her parents told her about the way women are treated in that culture, but she also may NOT have wanted to hear that or thought they were just trying to make an excuse to keep her home.  I feel she probably was so blinded and lied to by the boyfriend that she didn't want to believe anyone but him.

November 15, 2007, 8:12 am CST

When will Part 3 be aired??

If they're doing the annorexic & bulemic show tomorrow when are they showing part 3?? You can't show the previews and have me practically fall out of my seat and then not show it!!!

I think this guy is manipulating this girl. I remember being 18...it wasn' t that long ago...I'm only 24! After seeing previews for part 3 I can see he WAS lying and so was she....at least Dr. Phil got her home!!

Don't be a slave to an owner! NO DEBT is the way to go.

Quote From: michelebr

Why did they need five new cars?  That was a ridiculous waste of the money.  It's their own fault and it was stupid.

Thanks to financial, Christian wiz DAVE RAMSEY, after 18 years of marriage my husband and I are FINALLY debt-free. It is so freeing...so empowering...so wonderful not to have to worry about  money. We make our money work for us now and we know where it is going. We're able to give more to charity (we've always given plenty, but now we can give and give and give).

My friend won the Maine lottery. Within one year, she had bill collectors calling. Unless people have common sense and discipline, getting a large chunk of money will ALWAYS bring problems.

We are in a society that worships the almighty dollar and falsely believes that money equals happiess. Unless a person is happy already (along w/ being mature), money will do nothing good. It's a curse.

Not living beyond ones means, getting and education, working hard to earn more, saving whenever possible and not indulging in INSTANT GRATIFICATION will lead to both happiness and success.

What kind of role models are we to our children when we rack up credit card debt and give in to all our wants? We're LOUSY role  models!

Our children will be signed up for a Dave Ramsey junior class in the spring, even though we already have their college education paid for (thanks to relatives and to savings). They know (from us) how bad credit cards are. If you don't have the cash, don't buy it. Even the Bible talks about us being "slaves" to our "owners" with regard to debt. When will all of us learn that keeping up with the Jones' means being in debt and being very immature and shallow!

There is something very wrong with ANYONE that will meet someone on the internet, and then go to live with them immediately.  I realize that Katherine talked to Abdullah daily for 2 years, but people can be sitting in the same room with you and be hiding things from you.  The internet has made it very easy for shady people to come across as normal to those that are not careful.

Even I can appear charming on the internet.  Anyone can.

November 15, 2007, 8:17 am CST

Quote From: rarebeauty

I knew the day  I saw the previews on this show I had to watch it. I am currently in the same situation, dating a man although not in the middle east, but outside the country. He and I have also agreed to be married, and there is a since of rush on his part but not on mine. Although for us it has been almost a year since we first met, and I have fallen in love and plan to marry him as well.  I felt the need to get to know him first. It is hard to know of someone that many miles away, the phone, and internet and lettters helps a little, but its not like spending time in person.  I have questioned him extensivelly as to why he wants to marry an american, and the answer is always the same, vaguely I just always wanted an american. This I hate to hear, but is his reaction.  I will admit that I am afraid as hell to go to his country, and I worry if he is lying to me as well. I am a lot older than katherine and my fiance is a lot older than her boyfriend.  However my fiance does not use profanity, is not a muslim, and loves me totally. I dont quite understand the fuss, although the middle east is a very scary place to be, and i would never go there.

I hate to tell you this but it's so easy to be anyone you want to be over the internet and in letters etc. Have you ever heard "Online" by Brad Paisley?? It's true!! Just cause he's caring and loving etc online and in letters doesn't mean you'll get along AT ALL when you meet the real person and spend time with him. Also I'm disturbed by his answer to your questions. "I just always wanted an American"...that's creepy. Sorry! I am NOT knocking meeting people online, I met my husband online over SIX YEARS ago and we've been married THREE YEARS and have a 16 month old son. Granted we only lived a couple hours away from each other so we spent a LOT of time actually together rather than on the internet. I don't understand, at any age, how people promise to marry and spend their lives together when they DON'T really know each other. Talking online, on the phone, through letters etc is not KNOWING someone. That's called a pen pal. Please just be careful...especially when meeting someone from another country (no matter WHAT country it is). You never know people's real intentions in situations like this...

November 15, 2007, 8:18 am CST

And, am I crazy, or did Abudullah say that it is "normal" to call your girlfriend names?  Did I hear him say that?

My husband has never called me a name, not one time.  I suppose that he likes his teeth where they are.  :)

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last