Message Boards

Topic : 11/26 Katherine Returns

Number of Replies: 521
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Tuesday, November 20, 2007, 06:03:36 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil follows up with a family terrified for the safety of their loved one, Katherine, a young woman who flew to the Middle East to be with Abdullah, whom she met online. When she last spoke with Dr. Phil, Katherine promised that she would return to the United States within two days, but immediately after the show, she changed her mind. Find out what happened during two failed attempts to get Katherine home, and what finally got her on a plane. Then, Katherine’s mother, Shawn, and sister, Mary, say they were overwhelmingly relieved to have her back safe, so why didn’t they greet her at the airport? Katherine joins her family onstage and offers her tearful apologies. After hearing how her actions have affected her family and Dr. Phil’s staff, will Katherine go back to Abdullah, or will she have a change of heart? Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 24, 2007, 12:07 pm CST

never heard that before

Quote From: lifeslikethat

In  Australian non- Australian citizens aren't allowed  to own a home outright above a certain price ($150,000 I believe it is), doesn't the US have similar laws if they do his credibility goes out the window instantly.
 I don't think thats true. Im Australian and have never hread that before.

November 24, 2007, 1:22 pm CST

REGARDING: KATHERINE STORY

I hope that Katherine will never return to that abusive boyfriend she had.  He is controlling,

manipulative, cunning, and deceptive.  I was once in an abusive relationship for over twelve

years, and it just got worse,---year after year....Things never get any better!  No matter how

hard you try!  When I was in my abusive relationship, I would go through all the "cycles"---where my

abuser would hurt me, physically & emotionally, & then, he would apologize for a day or so~ then

the hurt and angry tirades would start all over again!   I truly wish I had listened to my family &

friends, and left my abusing husband alot sooner than I did...I feel as if I wasted twelve years of

my life then.  I am now married to a kind, loving, gentle man who is completely different from my

first husband.  He and I, have been married nearly fourteen years now, and I'm very happy, now!

I hope that Katherine "sees the light," and never goes back to "that abuser," again!  She is so young, and has her entire life in front of her...Someday, she will meet a man who loves and respects her, & she

will know the true meaning of  "love...."     Sincerely, Tami K. MIller

November 24, 2007, 1:31 pm CST

abdallah foult maybe katherines parents foult for sure

im palistinian and american and i think people are geting off the main subject here it was  wrong for a 16 year old girl to leave her family ofcourse if it was my doughter i would have lost my mind but howcome everyone is concentrating on the fact that he was middle eastern from palistine would it have been better if he was germany mexico or anywhere else in the world and why isent there any blame on the parents they say she told them she was going to canada with a friend how can they say ok sweety have a nice trip without checking every single detail and after she was cought and brought back here if that was my doughter she would be able to secretly talk to him becouse she wouldnt get to keep a computer in her room where i cant moniter her or a cell phone to call him from so for all the people blameing abdallah and his dad what about her dad and mom whos job it is to know everything about there doughter  ever heard of parental controls on a computer there available to you for a reason so u cant stop things like this from happening abdallah is a kid who maybe fell in love and wanted to be with ehr or maybe wanted to marry her for a visa he is a part of the problem ofcourse but i think the bigest part of the problem is katherines parents who allowed there doughter to get into this situation every county has wrong people who do wrongs things that dosent mean becouse he was palistinian that we are all bad

November 24, 2007, 1:43 pm CST

Katherine Returns

I only hope and pray that Katherine will stay here in the US. If only she knew how lucky she is to have Dr. Phil and her family trying very hard to get her to see what the real facts are in this relationship and what could happen to her if she goes back.  It will not be good at all for her to go back to that man and/or that country unless she has a "death wish".  Katerine please listen to Dr. Phil and your family. They are the ones that really sincerely love and care about you and your health and safety! Trust them with your heart and your feelings. We are all praying for you Katherine to do the right thing for yourself and your family.

November 24, 2007, 1:45 pm CST

He should have been extradited for statutory rape two years ago.

First of all I don't understand what kind of a mother Katherine has that would let things get this far out of hand without knowing it. Kids don't have a right to privacy beyond what is reasonable and merited. This business about them they don't fell you trust them because you are always looking over their shoulders and adults who say I trust my child implicitly is insanity. Children do not know what to do with privacy or anything else when they come into this world. It is up to the parents to gently but firmly guide their children through the learning process of right and wrong, good and bad, innocence and ignorance. Her mother failed at this miserably.

Katherine has gotten way out of hand and needs to be realed back in even if it is against her will. She has no idea what she is in for if whe returns to that crazy backward country. I would buy a shack in the backwoods of Kentucky and take her there where I'd keep her tied up if that were the only way to keep her from going back over there. I would rather go to jail than see her go through hell.

Abdullah is a swine. He doesn't care about Katherine in the least. Nothing he said on the first show was truthful and everyone knew it. It was obvious that she wanted to disagree with him or cry out for help but was too afraid of the consequences once they were off camera. He should be arrested immediately if he comes to this country and tried for statutory rape for the sixteen year old abduction of Katerine when he first coerced into coming to him in Jordan. I think we should resort to cutting off non-essential body parts if he comes here, just like they do over there.

Parents: Please Do Look into your childs computers and see where they have been. That isn't wrong, it's responsible.

November 24, 2007, 1:52 pm CST

Can HE get a VISA to the USA?

Katherine's Middle-Eastern fiance may not be able to visit her and her family  the USA.

I am a Canadian and I know that he might have difficulty obtaining a VISA tocoe to the USA, depending upon his country of origin in the "Middle East".

How could Robin and Dr. Phil promise this man that he could sit down with Katherine and her family and work it out, around the kitchen table once she was back home?

Was this  fair, honest & ethical?

November 24, 2007, 1:55 pm CST

Why she said is true so what's your problem?

Quote From: mariamq

You should not have picked the first guy who asked for your hand.

You should know that it's your right to choose who you want as a husband.

You call yourself a muslim, why are you trying to make a mockery of islam?..

Are you really a muslim?.
Nothing that was said was untrue. I know many muslims also and what she said is true. Love is not a part of their culture, at least not as far as marriage is concerned. Even in family it isn't as strong as in the US. You won't see an American give his son an AK-47 and tell him to run out in the street shooting every American he sees until he is killed himself. In Islam women are just possessions and easily replaced for a few camels or a pack of cigarettes. I mean, give me a break, you don't really defend the actions of such a people do you?

November 24, 2007, 1:59 pm CST

looking for adventure

This young girl obviously thought  this would be a adventure full of romance ending with the house with happily ever after.  It's sad she was so naive to find herself in what must of been a terrifying situation when reality hit.  I hope the mother changes the phone number to unlisted right away.  She needs to protect her daughter who has a lot of growing up to do.  This man isn't to be trusted or his family. 

November 24, 2007, 2:08 pm CST

11/26 Katherine Returns

Quote From: snowfirel

Being involved in this other Nam the way we are right now, it is not a good idea to let people like this fella inside the country.  If you ever venture into the chat rooms, you will find yourself getting hit on by many middle eastern people trying to make friends, really trying to get over here.  The only people allowed here right now should be those older business people already established here from say 15 or 20 years ago.  No young people unless they are children under five or six needing a perminate home. Or those with US relatives just coming to visit.  There are too many over there being taught all about self sacrifice, what if they get in here, and start blowing themselves up, and us along with them just as they are doing now over in their own country.  On another note, we should let China handle North Korea, it is very unwise to get into another mess, esp. with Asia, and Bush you should not do what you are doing to this country, it's just not right.  We don't need oil over there, after all we are on the same planet, drill in our own oceans, near Alaska, plenty right here, the animals make use of the metal structures we build, and platforms anyway, they get behind them to fight off head winds in wintertime.  Get the heck out of the mideast, our kids don't need to be drying, and fighting it is a lost cause, life is too short.

Just my take,

sf

Very well said!

November 24, 2007, 2:49 pm CST

Abdullah

Dr. Phil: You are a very smart man.  I am sure you have sought out legal counsel on how to deal with Abdullah and his father. Seems to me his father helped a 16 year old "child" get out of the country. Is Abdullah that spoiled? "Dad, I want that American girl. Bring her to me." It sounds like that's what happened. The father had to know how old the girl was.

I would be very afraid if I were Katherine and her family. They should change all of their telephone numbers, screen names etc. Get a restraining order against Abdullah and any member of his family. Katherine should have rigorous counseling. It will take  long time for her to get over this...if ever. It takes a long time for a rape victim to get beyond what happened. I can't imagine what Katherine is feeling like after this ordeal.

Our children need to be educated in the schools regarding internet love affairs. We have health class, computer class, PE..why not a class on true internet safety?  I'd start one up for sure.

Dr. Phil...you are the greatest. Thanks for always bringing the most informative stories.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last