Message Boards

Topic : 06/24 Banned from the Wedding, Part 2

Number of Replies: 1897
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Tuesday, November 20, 2007, 06:04:42 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 11/27/07) Dr. Phil follows up with a family torn apart when the mother was banned from her only son’s wedding. The bride-to-be, Michelle, said she’d rather burn in hell than let her future mother-in-law, Jane, attend the ceremony, and her fiancé, Jay, stood behind her decision. This sent the entire family into a tailspin, with the best man resigning, the aunt disowning the groom and the wedding planner on alert to call 911 if Jane showed up. The big day has come and gone, and everyone returns to update Dr. Phil with the latest. Were they able to bury the hatchet before the wedding? Jane has gone through a rollercoaster of emotions, and Dr. Phil finds out what has her so mad at him, she even wrote him a scathing letter one week after her appearance. Has Jane done a 180-degree turn since? Has Michelle stopped her “campaign of hate mail” as Jane called it and opened up her arms to her husband’s mother? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 24, 2007, 9:10 am CST

It's time to grow up

I feel it's time for the bride to grow up and consider her husband's feelings.  She will eventually regret the way she is treating his mother and not allowing her to have a relationship with them.  The mother is just as wrong at what she has been doing and it's time she cut the apron strings and allow her son to live his own life.  If both the bride and the mother would do these things they could have a wonderful relationship of enjoying each other.  I dread to think of what it will be like if and when children are brought into this union.

November 24, 2007, 10:05 am CST

Doctor Phil Show

Banned Doctor From Part Phil The Two Wedding. Well Well Well Here we go again. I did see One Part------

but never Part Two. See you on Tuesday November 27th, 2007.  Sincerley Your.  Russell Vlaanderen.-------

November 24, 2007, 10:10 am CST

Spoiled Brat

I am a mother in law and I really felt very sorry for the mother of the son. The girl that he was marrying really was very "mean spirited!" I don't know how things could be fixed unless the bride would learn how to respect other peoples feelings! When the children come along, it will only get worse because they have started out on the wrong path. The mother always holds the key to the gate.

November 24, 2007, 11:50 am CST

Respect

I can't imagine marrying a man I felt so little respect for that I was at ease pulling rank, insulting and being generally abusive to any members of his family - much less his Mother! Real  love can not exist without respect. Michelle should walk away from this union. When she finds someone that she truly loves she will be willing to welcome his family into her home - if not her heart.

November 24, 2007, 12:29 pm CST

Please Grow Up

You should be ashamed of yourselves. Family is one of the most important things you will have in life.  I do not have  family and would give anything to have one.  I would do whatever was possible to try and ensure peace and love within the family.  This is the time of year for sharing and loving and you need to understand that ALL families will ave problems.  The mature person will extend the olive branch and try and make peace.  A wedding is such a special time that is suppose to bring 2 families together not drive them apart.  Now that you have had your 15 minutes of fame over this, move past it.  Learn to forgive.  As it states in the Bible, if you do not forgive one another then God cannot forgive you.  Love each other, put the past in the past an live for today because tomorrow may never come.  Stop being selfish and open your arms to everyone.  One day I pray you realie what you have missed out on by pushing your family away.  If you really do not want a family,  I would be more than happy to accept them into my life.  I would love to have someone I could turn to in good times as well as bad times.  The words of the Bible are being fulfilled very quickly.  Take a deep breath, step back, regroup, apologize and ask for forgiveness.  It will bring blessings into your life if you learn to forgive and forget.   I will pray that God will bring this family back together in love, peace and haromy.

Blessing in God,

Donna

November 24, 2007, 3:22 pm CST

bummer for all

I FIND IT INTERESTING THAT EVERYONE FEELS SORRY FOR THE MOTHER IN LAW.  SHE IS NO ANGEL.  I MYSELF AM A DAUGHTER IN LAW TO A WOMAN WHO PRETTY MUCH IGNORES MY EXISTANCE.  SHE PLAYS FAVORITES WITH HER OTHER DAUGHTER IN LAW---OVER THAT OF HER OWN DAUGHTER.  SHE PLAYS FAVORITES WITH HER GRANDCHILDREN.  OFTEN TIMES PEOPLE POINT FINGERS AND MAKE ASSUMPTIONS THAT IT IS THE BRIDES JOB TO MAKE NICE WITH THE MOTHER OF THE GROOM........HOWEVER, IT WOULD SEEM THAT IT IS JUST AS MUCH THE MOTHERS RESPONSIBILITY TO MAKE NICE WITH THE BRIDE.  AS FOR THE SON.  MAYBE HE SEES THE PICTURE FOR WHAT IT IS.  MAYBE HE IS SIDING WITH HIS BRIDE TO BE BECAUSE HE KNOWS HOW HIS MOTHER IS AND BEHAVED IN THE PAST.  AS FOR MY HUSBAND AND MYSELF WE SPEND VERY LITTLE TIME WITH HIS FAMILY.  USUALLY DURING THE HOLIDAYS ONLY.  THEN FOR AS SHORT A TIME AS WE MUST.  WE BOTH GET LITTLE ENJOYMENT OUT OF IT.  THERES ALOT OF COMPETITION BETWEEN THE OTHER DAUGHTER IN LAW AND MY HUSBANDS SISTER.  SO TAKE A LOOK AT THE MOTHER OF THE GROOM AND CUT SOME SLACK TO THE YOUNG BRIDE.

November 24, 2007, 4:06 pm CST

11/27 Banned from the Wedding, Part 2

Quote From: dsarmstrong

You should be ashamed of yourselves. Family is one of the most important things you will have in life.  I do not have  family and would give anything to have one.  I would do whatever was possible to try and ensure peace and love within the family.  This is the time of year for sharing and loving and you need to understand that ALL families will ave problems.  The mature person will extend the olive branch and try and make peace.  A wedding is such a special time that is suppose to bring 2 families together not drive them apart.  Now that you have had your 15 minutes of fame over this, move past it.  Learn to forgive.  As it states in the Bible, if you do not forgive one another then God cannot forgive you.  Love each other, put the past in the past an live for today because tomorrow may never come.  Stop being selfish and open your arms to everyone.  One day I pray you realie what you have missed out on by pushing your family away.  If you really do not want a family,  I would be more than happy to accept them into my life.  I would love to have someone I could turn to in good times as well as bad times.  The words of the Bible are being fulfilled very quickly.  Take a deep breath, step back, regroup, apologize and ask for forgiveness.  It will bring blessings into your life if you learn to forgive and forget.   I will pray that God will bring this family back together in love, peace and haromy.

Blessing in God,

Donna

Donna,

What wise words you have for us all.  I can not believe that a woman that has such a wonderful look on life can be alone.  Family is wonderful but I hope that you let your friends step in until it is time for you to welcome a family on your own.

Maura

November 24, 2007, 4:24 pm CST

Banned from the Wedding

I think the bride could be more gracious, however, in matters dealing with the m-i-l, it is the SON's place to do so.  I married a man while living in Europe.  His mother came to visit him at that time.  To her knowledge, I was merely 'the girlfriend.'  I did not feel it was place to tell her we were getting married the week after she left.  She was furious that she 'missed the wedding.'  Firstly, not my place to tell her.  His.  Secondly, she didn't miss a 'wedding.'  We went to another country, just the two of us.  Not like she was excluded.  Nobody was included other than the two of us.  I made efforts to please this woman, nothing worked.  Gradually, I just backed off and stopped doing things like buying the exact same Mother's Day card for her that I got my own mother.  Getting her son to write one line on the card and sign it himself got nothing but three weeks of arguing between the two of us until I'd usually sign it myself and it often got there late!  HIS fault, not mine.  There are two sides to every story and between the two lies the truth!

November 24, 2007, 4:33 pm CST

Quote From: dsarmstrong

Blessing in God,

Donna

Donna,

Im really sorry that you do not have any family. Ill will be more glad to share mine with you.  ITs easy for you to sit back and say the things that you have said because obviously you havent had the experiences that some of us have had with our familes.  Just because these "people" are our family doesnt mean we have to have a relationship with them.  For example: I have a sister that is 55 years old and stole my mothers identity.  Yes,  it is called Identity Theft.  She shows no remorse for what she did. Now, because of this, I do not choose to have a realationship with her.  You cant trust these kind of people.  I have given her family money in time of need, and she has chosen to lie and steal and I do not feel like I will ever have a relationship with her ever again. So, until you have been in such a situation then I think you need to think again about wanting family.  Sometimes its more heartache  than its worth.

November 24, 2007, 5:10 pm CST

Quote From: mac2372

I FIND IT INTERESTING THAT EVERYONE FEELS SORRY FOR THE MOTHER IN LAW.  SHE IS NO ANGEL.  I MYSELF AM A DAUGHTER IN LAW TO A WOMAN WHO PRETTY MUCH IGNORES MY EXISTANCE.  SHE PLAYS FAVORITES WITH HER OTHER DAUGHTER IN LAW---OVER THAT OF HER OWN DAUGHTER.  SHE PLAYS FAVORITES WITH HER GRANDCHILDREN.  OFTEN TIMES PEOPLE POINT FINGERS AND MAKE ASSUMPTIONS THAT IT IS THE BRIDES JOB TO MAKE NICE WITH THE MOTHER OF THE GROOM........HOWEVER, IT WOULD SEEM THAT IT IS JUST AS MUCH THE MOTHERS RESPONSIBILITY TO MAKE NICE WITH THE BRIDE.  AS FOR THE SON.  MAYBE HE SEES THE PICTURE FOR WHAT IT IS.  MAYBE HE IS SIDING WITH HIS BRIDE TO BE BECAUSE HE KNOWS HOW HIS MOTHER IS AND BEHAVED IN THE PAST.  AS FOR MY HUSBAND AND MYSELF WE SPEND VERY LITTLE TIME WITH HIS FAMILY.  USUALLY DURING THE HOLIDAYS ONLY.  THEN FOR AS SHORT A TIME AS WE MUST.  WE BOTH GET LITTLE ENJOYMENT OUT OF IT.  THERES ALOT OF COMPETITION BETWEEN THE OTHER DAUGHTER IN LAW AND MY HUSBANDS SISTER.  SO TAKE A LOOK AT THE MOTHER OF THE GROOM AND CUT SOME SLACK TO THE YOUNG BRIDE.
Here, here The mother-in-law is the main problem ! Quit dmping on he bride ! She is just responding tothe M-I-L. 

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last