Message Boards

Topic : 06/04 Too Big, Too Young

Number of Replies: 476
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Tuesday, November 20, 2007, 06:08:03 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 11/29/07) Obesity is a huge problem for adults in this country, but now it’s becoming an epidemic among young children. Barbra says her 3-year-old daughter started gaining weight at six months old and now weighs 80 pounds. Barbra and her aunt, Dana, are baffled by what they believe is a medical mystery because they say the little girl doesn't overeat. Dr. Phil brings in two medical experts to get to the bottom of this issue. Is Barbra contributing to her child's weight gain? Then, Tammy says she can’t change her family's eating habits. She's obese, her 11-year-old is 175 pounds and her 9-year-old is 136 pounds. Her sister, Debbie, says the boys portion sizes are too big and the family is just lazy. Can Dr. Phil get Tammy to stick to a nutrition plan? You won’t believe the surprise he has for her! Plus, Jessica says her mom, Angie, is blind to the health issues of her 351-pound sister, Jaleisa, who is only 15. Jessica says her mom never buys healthy food, and she fears her mom has Munchausen’s syndrome. Angie says she can’t monitor Jaleisa’s eating habits all day. Can Angie turn this situation around and save her daughter’s life, or is it too late? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 25, 2007, 2:01 am CST

Munchausen’s syndrome

I would like to know more on this topic as half of my family has been burdened by this.  Reading what this show will be is saddening knowing that my niece has been greatly affected by some loving people gone overboard.  She weighed about the same amount this child did at the same age but my sister was proud of it.  Her and my father were proud she was showing that she was growing.   My niece is fortunately a very intelligent little now 7 years old but knows she is not the same as others.  She is constantly being called "Big" by other kids moms and it is really bothering my sister.  I hope this is my sister's wake up call into a more healthy world but moreso my father's as he seems to be the only one who doesn't get it.  I'm of a normal size and he thinks I'm anorexic.  My niece is living an overactive life for the compensation of this overeating but is getting a little bit burned out.  My Dad shows his love through food and gives adult sized portions.  I love them all and wish they all could watch the show and have it help them change their actions.  My sister is learning but my Dad remains stubborn and in denial but then again, he has diabetes and denies that too.   It's just one big eating disaster as always.  I don't live in the same city and even if I did I still wouldn't know what to do.  This has thrown the entire family into a horrible scare for their health.  They think it is just abou them.  I wish they would wake up and realize the pain it is causing us all as it is NOT about looks. 

November 25, 2007, 2:06 am CST

11/29 More Big Fat Babies

Quote From: apples

I just read some of the message boards for overweight children. It worries me that people can be so oblivious to children when it comes to obesity. For the people who wrote and said that these children need to stop eating please be aware this my not be the problem. If they do not have a child who is overweight how can they make such wrong accusations? My 9 year old son is overweight, we had extensive blood work done, stool samples as well as an ultra sound but there is nothing medically wrong with him. We also put him on a very strict diet with the help of a fitness trainer for 6 months with no results. It bothers me when people say the parent should be responsible if the child dies, the parent may have done everything they can like I did. It is hard enough to comfort an overweight child when he is teased at school let alone the comments that come from what is supposed to be grown mature adults. I ask that people who may not have experience with an overweight child to please put themselves in our shoes. I have taught my son to accept who he is and to learn from other peoples mistakes. If anyone has anymore ideas as to what I can do please let me know. Even his doctor and pediatrician are stumped as to what is wrong.

I believe you and wish you all the luck in your quest.  It is all about health and if your son is healthy then so be it and that should be good enough.  We all have had to deal with individual turmoils in school.  School is for learning and growing to become a good citizen and person in the world and that is the best focus.  You are obviously on the right track.  I wish I could say the same for my family as that is not the reason.  The reason is bad habit gone awry, laziness and denial.  This hurts more than just the people directly involved as we, the family, are a community in reality.  I wish you the best.

November 25, 2007, 8:03 am CST

Good candidates for "Biggest Loser" Program

Dear Folks:

These persons should look at the television program, The Biggest Loser, as it takes work to burn off the extra calories that are eaten by "big" people. They didn't get that way without bending a elbow (minus the health fact having a root cause) . People have choices to make that are more factural - natural foods - those the closest to the way nature grew the food, is less fatty and eaten in moderation, will help to maintain and lose this extra padding they carry around. Having a person that obese, may need to have a visual clue. It might be, that they need to see the actual weight in sugar or bricks to show the extra weight they carry. Eating and working out like they do on Biggest Loser, shows that eating can be controlled with the right motivation. I am from Canada, where the educational programs here no longer have Home Economics in school - this is a big mistake. Parents are off making money, and no one is teaching the next generation how to cook naturally, the way my grandparents and middle school taught me. I not only can my own food, I also freeze food as close to nature as I can possible get. Why not take the natural way of losing this "fat" - and exercise is a must!

November 25, 2007, 10:35 am CST

40% FEWER CALORIES - GREAT FOR BAKING AND COOKING

Xylitol is a natural occurring sweetener found in many fruits like strawberries, pears and plums.  Pure Xylitol is a white crystalline substance that looks and tastes like sugar. On food labels, Xylitol is classified broadly as a carbohydrate and more narrowly as a polyol. Because Xylitol is only slowly absorbed and partially utilized, a reduced calorie claim is allowed: 2.4 calories per gram or 40% less than other carbohydrates.   

Xylitol has 40% fewer calories and 75% fewer carbohydrates than sugar and is slowly absorbed and metabolized, resulting in very negligible changes in insulin. About one-third of the Xylitol that is consumed is absorbed in the liver. The other two-thirds travels to the intestinal tract, where it is broken down by gut bacteria into short-chain fatty acids. 

Chemically speaking, Xylitol is not actually a sugar, but a sugar alcohol. It differs from other sweeteners such as sorbitol, fructose and glucose because the Xylitol molecule has five, instead of six, carbon atoms. Most bacteria in mouth are unable to make use of such sugars. This is one reason why Xylitol helps prevent cavities.  

Xylitol tastes and pours like regular sugar, but provides 40% fewer calories.  Xylitol mixes and dissolves readily and is heat stable, making it the ideal sweetener for hot beverages, baking and other cooking applications unlike artificial sweeteners. 

Xylitol looks, feels, and tastes exactly like sugar, and leaves no unpleasant aftertaste. It is available in bulk and many forms.  It can be purchased at health food stores and over the internet.  Xylitol was approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 1963. 

Hope it helps!  

November 25, 2007, 11:32 am CST

EMOTIONS - OVEREATING AND WEIGHT GAIN

The brain is involved in everything we do.  How we think, how we feel, how we act, and how well we get along with other people is related to the moment-by-moment functioning of the brain. When the brain works right, people tend to work right. When the brain is troubled, people tend to struggle being their best selves. 

Emotional eating is the practice of consuming large quantities of food in response to feelings instead of hunger.  Experts estimate that 75% of overeating is caused by emotions.

Depression, boredom, loneliness, chronic anger, anxiety, frustration, stress, problems with poor self-esteem and interpersonal relationships can result in overeating and unwanted weight gain.  

To identify what triggers excessive eating in you, keep a food diary that records what and when you eat as well as what stressors, thoughts, or emotions you identify as you eat.  You should begin to identify patterns to your excessive eating fairly quickly.

One of my favorite books that provides a great introduction and insight is:

Healing Anxiety and Depression (7 types of anxiety and depression) by Daniel Amen and Lisa Routh

How to Journal for Therapy:

http://arar.essortment.com/therapyjournali_repu.htm fairly quickly.

Many of us learn that food can bring comfort, at least in the short-term.  As a result, we often turn to food to heal emotional problems. Eating becomes a habit preventing us from learning skills that can effectively resolve our emotional distress. 

Hope it helps!

November 25, 2007, 3:37 pm CST

Do you even consider side effects of certain medications in Childhood Obesity?

I know that I will get slammed by those who may be ignorant of the causes of childhood obesity except for the obvious childhood overeating. There are several medications that are administered to children which cause the metabolic changes neccesary to trigger obesity in most children even those without psychiatric disabilities if they were given these drugs would develop obesity.

The obvious solution is to ration the child's portions and encourage exercise but if they are taking an atypical antipsychotic medication, even if you physically lock up the pantry and the refrigerator, the child will gain weight exponentally or more than 100lbs in most cases.

I await the inevitable barrage of hate posts telling me that I don't know what I'm talking about but the information is there if you know where to look. With that said, I will sign myself

Phantom

November 26, 2007, 6:50 am CST

good point

Quote From: phantom2007

I know that I will get slammed by those who may be ignorant of the causes of childhood obesity except for the obvious childhood overeating. There are several medications that are administered to children which cause the metabolic changes neccesary to trigger obesity in most children even those without psychiatric disabilities if they were given these drugs would develop obesity.

The obvious solution is to ration the child's portions and encourage exercise but if they are taking an atypical antipsychotic medication, even if you physically lock up the pantry and the refrigerator, the child will gain weight exponentally or more than 100lbs in most cases.

I await the inevitable barrage of hate posts telling me that I don't know what I'm talking about but the information is there if you know where to look. With that said, I will sign myself

Phantom

I think you have made a very good point. All  avenues need to be examined when a child is obese not just the obvious eating too much problem. we do live in a "fast food' society i know and sometimes that can be the problem, portion size also in this country is far too big. I'm not an over weight woman , my family also are within the normal weight range.we have always eaten healthy with smaller portions , fast food was only occasionally. But i do realize that others may be battling a whole different set of issues, eating disorders, medication affects etc. I feel so sad for these children, it must be very difficult to have a weight problem kids can be so cruel in schools.

I hope you do not get the awaited "hate posts". You have a very valid point. We live in a society quick to medicate but at what cost?.

November 26, 2007, 7:05 am CST

11/29 More Big Fat Babies

Quote From: nancydoell

You know, each time my son & I visit the US of A
we are continuously astounded by how many obese people we see in a day and we aren't out to ridicule them. We don't know the reasons of why each individual is so overweight but each time we see one
we think about how much weight the body is carrying around and the burden placed on the hearts and knees and joints ! As Dr.Phil has said, the obese seriously need to take on a lifestyle change if they want to be healthy and do this before your weight take its toll on you physically and emotionally. It's very demoralizing for people to stare at you open mouthed and just with the 'how could you allow yourself to get like that in the first place look" on their face.
If my 10 year old can make healthy choices and tell me he'll pass desert because he had some candy earlier, you can too... we might add, we are real foodies too.. we love to eat, but our weight is healthy. Thanks.

I live in Canada and believe me we don't have to go to USA to see this problem. its all around us. If there is no medical reason for the weight problem, then yes a healthy approach to diet and exercise will fix the problem. my husband has a friend who is very overweight ... he eats way too much and all the  wrong types of foods....and at 53 has had two replacement knees already.It is not a kindness to raise kids in an uhealthy eating lifestyle. some day they'll be paying the price ... maybe with their lives.

November 27, 2007, 2:07 pm CST

11/29 Too Big, Too Young

Quote From: nancydoell

You know, each time my son & I visit the US of A
we are continuously astounded by how many obese people we see in a day and we aren't out to ridicule them. We don't know the reasons of why each individual is so overweight but each time we see one
we think about how much weight the body is carrying around and the burden placed on the hearts and knees and joints ! As Dr.Phil has said, the obese seriously need to take on a lifestyle change if they want to be healthy and do this before your weight take its toll on you physically and emotionally. It's very demoralizing for people to stare at you open mouthed and just with the 'how could you allow yourself to get like that in the first place look" on their face.
If my 10 year old can make healthy choices and tell me he'll pass desert because he had some candy earlier, you can too... we might add, we are real foodies too.. we love to eat, but our weight is healthy. Thanks.

Sorry, it seems like I am all out of medals and trophies. 

November 28, 2007, 5:24 am CST

Here we go again . . . .

I will not be watching this show due to the fact I've had to live it for about 14 years with my own child and I can only imagine some of what will be said.  Granted we're not to the level I see on the trailer here, but one could (and does) still lump us in this area.  I have had enough judgment in my lifetime on this subject. 

My husband and I were both "born on a diet."  For some reason when we combined our gene pools we gave birth to a child that has a far harder time than we have ever had.  Since our daughter was 2 this has been a struggle.  I know in my gut something is off with this child, tho medically they'll never figure it out.  My extended family says the same.  I'm guessing at this point that what Dr. Phil doesn't cover in this show will be the frustration out here in the real world with all sorts of contributing factors.  From doctors that leave little to be desired (I could write a book on this subject alone), school lunches that are awful, next door neighbors feeding your child fattening snacks after school after listening to you cry about your worry about your childs weight.  I have had this child in one thing after another and she has been far more active than I ever was as a child.  That whole theory of "get them moving?"  Has not worked in this house.  Contrary to what more naturally thin people think, we do not live on fast food, we hardly ever go out to eat and my daughter does not lie on a couch eating Twinkies.  Food rewards are not in our lives.  She was taught years ago to never drink calories.  We've done it all right for the most part.  I have felt for years that this had to come from her and I need to impress "moderation" to see her end up winning with it in adulthood.  All doctors have agreed with the way I have approached it.  I suppose I COULD try to limit her to celery sticks daily, but I somehow get that when she gets out on her own she'll perhaps swing too far the other way due to complete denial.  If we deny a child everything they will go overboard when we're not around to deny it?  It will make it even more desirable?  This is our tightrope we live on.

Most of all I would like to say this.  While the entire focus is now on how fat our kids are?  There are basically no doable programs out there to help us with it.  Nothing geared towards children.  Having a doctor discuss adult diet tips is worth squat in this situation.  They're kids.  Paying a nutritionist $60 an hour to have my kid color veggies was absurd.  My daughter is now 16 and I find it ridiculous that I could go out tomorrow and have her under go a life threatening operation for this, yet there isn't any other sort of help really.  I know other parents that feel the exact same way I do about this area.

Anyway - before all of you jump to judge please remember that not all of us fall under whatever ignorance you see on this show.  Some of us have fought this beast the best we can for years and it's not such a simple fight. If it were?  There would not be this epidemic.  One needs to remember that while you struggle with this with your child - there is a fine line on getting a handle on it and destroying all self-esteem in the process.  Mine is currently working with a personal trainer.  That seems to be having little affect as well.  What you will see on this show?  I'd guess they are a small percentage in the whole "childhood obesity epidemic."  Most parents I know with heavy children are not horrible parents and they do try to tune into it. Part of me would like to smack Dr. Phil for doing a show that appears like this one will, and one that will do nothing more but lend to the impression that all fat kids have bad parents. 

Anyway - this is to the next mom that looks my daughter up and down with contempt.  I can assure you I know what you are thinking.  You wanted me to know it is my guess.  I completely got it after you did the long look and then felt it appropriate to shift your glance to me with a face of disgust.  I find myself praying she doesn't notice you doing it, but she probably does.  Thanks for that.  You do not walk in my shoes.  You do not walk in hers.  You know nothing of what you judge.  Please remember to have a tad bit more compassion as these things are not near as simple as everybody thinks.  Not every child that is overweight is there because of neglect, or fat, out of control parents, either.  Not every child with this problem is a looser that does nothing but sit on their butts in life.

To anybody inclined to offer me advice due to this post?  Don't bother.  I can guarantee you I've either tried it, thought of it, considered it, etc.  I'll admit it.  I'm getting really touchy about the subject due to frustration.  I have spent years feeling bad enough over this issue and don't need more help.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last