Message Boards

Topic : 06/04 Too Big, Too Young

Number of Replies: 476
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Tuesday, November 20, 2007, 06:08:03 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 11/29/07) Obesity is a huge problem for adults in this country, but now it’s becoming an epidemic among young children. Barbra says her 3-year-old daughter started gaining weight at six months old and now weighs 80 pounds. Barbra and her aunt, Dana, are baffled by what they believe is a medical mystery because they say the little girl doesn't overeat. Dr. Phil brings in two medical experts to get to the bottom of this issue. Is Barbra contributing to her child's weight gain? Then, Tammy says she can’t change her family's eating habits. She's obese, her 11-year-old is 175 pounds and her 9-year-old is 136 pounds. Her sister, Debbie, says the boys portion sizes are too big and the family is just lazy. Can Dr. Phil get Tammy to stick to a nutrition plan? You won’t believe the surprise he has for her! Plus, Jessica says her mom, Angie, is blind to the health issues of her 351-pound sister, Jaleisa, who is only 15. Jessica says her mom never buys healthy food, and she fears her mom has Munchausen’s syndrome. Angie says she can’t monitor Jaleisa’s eating habits all day. Can Angie turn this situation around and save her daughter’s life, or is it too late? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 28, 2007, 10:17 am CST

11/29 Too Big, Too Young

If the parent of a 9 year old says she feels there is a problem?  Maybe she is correct.  Unless said child is getting into the auto and driving to the grocery or Wendy's, I'd assume for the most part she has a clue what the kid is putting away pretty much.  At 9 you can have some times where you lose control (snacks you're unaware of at school, the neighbor's home, etc.) but for the most part she has to know what he consumes.  Once again, I see the immediate reaction to a parent saying there is an issue is dismissal.  Why, this parent must be kidding themselves.  This is what I have always gotten.

November 28, 2007, 3:25 pm CST

Parents' fault

Parents want to whine about the kids being overwieght they need to stop and think about what they are feeding their kids. They need to cut out junk food cook healthier and give kids smaller portions. Plus quit going to McDonald's and Burger king!!

November 28, 2007, 4:05 pm CST

11/29 Too Big, Too Young

Quote From: princessgina

Parents want to whine about the kids being overwieght they need to stop and think about what they are feeding their kids. They need to cut out junk food cook healthier and give kids smaller portions. Plus quit going to McDonald's and Burger king!!
Hey my daughter has almost always been overweight but it is not by overeating or McD's. It's weird, she always wants to exercise or do something active, she is 11 and I really do not concider my family lazy.  How could my daughter by over weight and my son be underweight when he eats ALL the time?

November 28, 2007, 4:20 pm CST

too big too young

Quote From: indianalamb

I will not be watching this show due to the fact I've had to live it for about 14 years with my own child and I can only imagine some of what will be said.  Granted we're not to the level I see on the trailer here, but one could (and does) still lump us in this area.  I have had enough judgment in my lifetime on this subject. 

My husband and I were both "born on a diet."  For some reason when we combined our gene pools we gave birth to a child that has a far harder time than we have ever had.  Since our daughter was 2 this has been a struggle.  I know in my gut something is off with this child, tho medically they'll never figure it out.  My extended family says the same.  I'm guessing at this point that what Dr. Phil doesn't cover in this show will be the frustration out here in the real world with all sorts of contributing factors.  From doctors that leave little to be desired (I could write a book on this subject alone), school lunches that are awful, next door neighbors feeding your child fattening snacks after school after listening to you cry about your worry about your childs weight.  I have had this child in one thing after another and she has been far more active than I ever was as a child.  That whole theory of "get them moving?"  Has not worked in this house.  Contrary to what more naturally thin people think, we do not live on fast food, we hardly ever go out to eat and my daughter does not lie on a couch eating Twinkies.  Food rewards are not in our lives.  She was taught years ago to never drink calories.  We've done it all right for the most part.  I have felt for years that this had to come from her and I need to impress "moderation" to see her end up winning with it in adulthood.  All doctors have agreed with the way I have approached it.  I suppose I COULD try to limit her to celery sticks daily, but I somehow get that when she gets out on her own she'll perhaps swing too far the other way due to complete denial.  If we deny a child everything they will go overboard when we're not around to deny it?  It will make it even more desirable?  This is our tightrope we live on.

Most of all I would like to say this.  While the entire focus is now on how fat our kids are?  There are basically no doable programs out there to help us with it.  Nothing geared towards children.  Having a doctor discuss adult diet tips is worth squat in this situation.  They're kids.  Paying a nutritionist $60 an hour to have my kid color veggies was absurd.  My daughter is now 16 and I find it ridiculous that I could go out tomorrow and have her under go a life threatening operation for this, yet there isn't any other sort of help really.  I know other parents that feel the exact same way I do about this area.

Anyway - before all of you jump to judge please remember that not all of us fall under whatever ignorance you see on this show.  Some of us have fought this beast the best we can for years and it's not such a simple fight. If it were?  There would not be this epidemic.  One needs to remember that while you struggle with this with your child - there is a fine line on getting a handle on it and destroying all self-esteem in the process.  Mine is currently working with a personal trainer.  That seems to be having little affect as well.  What you will see on this show?  I'd guess they are a small percentage in the whole "childhood obesity epidemic."  Most parents I know with heavy children are not horrible parents and they do try to tune into it. Part of me would like to smack Dr. Phil for doing a show that appears like this one will, and one that will do nothing more but lend to the impression that all fat kids have bad parents. 

Anyway - this is to the next mom that looks my daughter up and down with contempt.  I can assure you I know what you are thinking.  You wanted me to know it is my guess.  I completely got it after you did the long look and then felt it appropriate to shift your glance to me with a face of disgust.  I find myself praying she doesn't notice you doing it, but she probably does.  Thanks for that.  You do not walk in my shoes.  You do not walk in hers.  You know nothing of what you judge.  Please remember to have a tad bit more compassion as these things are not near as simple as everybody thinks.  Not every child that is overweight is there because of neglect, or fat, out of control parents, either.  Not every child with this problem is a looser that does nothing but sit on their butts in life.

To anybody inclined to offer me advice due to this post?  Don't bother.  I can guarantee you I've either tried it, thought of it, considered it, etc.  I'll admit it.  I'm getting really touchy about the subject due to frustration.  I have spent years feeling bad enough over this issue and don't need more help.

You know I totally agree with you.  My daughter is always active and is still overweight.  You know she failed a test in PE because of her "weight".  That is unacceptable in my world.  I do not think a child  should fail a class or test on count of weight.   My daughter is 11 and weighs 160lbs. and not because of overeating or fast foods. For one I do not like fast food for my children because I hate grease!!!!! Two why should anyone buy fast food for their growing children they are still growing and need the nutrition which fast food mostly does not provide.  I totally agree with you people should not!!! judge other people by their weight or children at that they do not know any history of the child so back off!!!!!!!!

November 28, 2007, 4:22 pm CST

11/29 Too Big, Too Young

First off, I think there has to be a medical assesment done to rule out  things like thyroid, Pradar Willi and some other medical reasons for weight gain.

Then, children like adults have been known to use food as comfort, chocolate+PMS , pizza +hard day at work etc.  They need therapy to find out what the root cause of their overeating is.

Their parents too need to find out why they are like this (many overweight children have overweight parents, the eating habits are passed down from generation to generation), so it has to be a family effort, not just the child.

And parents have to start being stronger, did anyone else catch the little girl saying "I want something SWEET" and gearing up for a major Meltdown, seems to me she has learned over time that if I whine scream and cry, I'll get what I want, now it could be something else, I'll grant that.

I have seen overweight people deny how much they eat in a day, and I've heard parents deny what their kids eat, but if the parents are unwilling or unable to make the changes necessary in their own lifestyles, how do they expect the children do.

Three and seven year olds DEPEND on us to nurture them and care for them, and look out for their best interests, and that includes when it comes to food and exercise, they don't buy the groceries, they can't go to the playground alone they depend on US for that.  I suspect that these children learned that if I scream, Mom will calm me with cookies, using food for comfort.

I belive its time (because another excuse is "well he'll get it at school " now where do they get the money for the vending machines or cafeteria), that more parents in more school systems across NORTH AMERICA take a stand against these vending machines and the unhealthy food in the cafeterias and maybe develop lunch programs for underprivillaged kids, just a thought.

And EDUCATE new parents, you can't do it enough, again, these parents probably learned their behaviors from home as well.

Do we really want to lose a generation to a preventable illness ?  I remember reading somewhere (wish I could find that article) that because of obesity in children and its side effects, this could be the generation who dies before their parents, what a comfort that is.

I would ask parents, before heading for the pantry when your child is upset, TRY to find out the REAL problem, Oreos have NOT been PROVEN to get rid of problems (though they are tasty ).

November 29, 2007, 4:27 am CST

11/29 Too Big, Too Young

Quote From: cati2d

You know I totally agree with you.  My daughter is always active and is still overweight.  You know she failed a test in PE because of her "weight".  That is unacceptable in my world.  I do not think a child  should fail a class or test on count of weight.   My daughter is 11 and weighs 160lbs. and not because of overeating or fast foods. For one I do not like fast food for my children because I hate grease!!!!! Two why should anyone buy fast food for their growing children they are still growing and need the nutrition which fast food mostly does not provide.  I totally agree with you people should not!!! judge other people by their weight or children at that they do not know any history of the child so back off!!!!!!!!

I hate to say this, but it is comforting to find a partner in misery on this one.  Notice the smug remarks from the experts to your post already (makes me angry)?  These people know not at all what they speak of.  I am a tad better off than you.  I have the only child.  It must be AWFUL to have the other child that eats non stop, with a daughter with this problem.  I do have a friend with the exact same problem and she will tell you it isn't fair and makes no sense to her.  What the nasty, judgmental types don't get is how you can not constantly police your daughter with her intake while he's on a free for all because he burns it, and probably needs it.  It is a fine line with kids and 11 is young and difficult.  You can not make them feel completely horrid while battling it.  One also needs to consider how it could lead to the opposite issue - Anexoria, etc.

I am pushing 50 and appear to have a better metabolism than my 16 year old.  I think something is wiggy in the hormone area and have reason too.  All of her friends in the same boat grew out of it.  She still has the immature non woman figure and started late.  But finding a doc to actually listen to this seems impossible as they all seem to think I lie for sport or something.  IF my child were a few lbs. over I would not fuss, but something is not right dang it.  Hopefully your daughter will grow out of it more than mine has.

Funny.  In my view kids have never been more stressed (school is harder!) and busier yet we have this.  Most kids I know are not inactive??  If anything I wonder if they're too busy.  Yet they're worthless, fat, LAZY, icky children and you and I need to be arrested.  Some day? They will figure out you and I didn't make this up, but until then we will be labled horriffic, UNloving parents.  I have cried over this and know others that have as well.  I do not think we are unloving.  It is awful.  Nobody can tell me, nor my extended family that there isnt something more to this.

This show will make it appear you and I resemble these types of parents and I do NOT.

Why is this site so hard to type on?

November 29, 2007, 5:02 am CST

11/29 Too Big, Too Young

Quote From: apples

I just read some of the message boards for overweight children. It worries me that people can be so oblivious to children when it comes to obesity. For the people who wrote and said that these children need to stop eating please be aware this my not be the problem. If they do not have a child who is overweight how can they make such wrong accusations? My 9 year old son is overweight, we had extensive blood work done, stool samples as well as an ultra sound but there is nothing medically wrong with him. We also put him on a very strict diet with the help of a fitness trainer for 6 months with no results. It bothers me when people say the parent should be responsible if the child dies, the parent may have done everything they can like I did. It is hard enough to comfort an overweight child when he is teased at school let alone the comments that come from what is supposed to be grown mature adults. I ask that people who may not have experience with an overweight child to please put themselves in our shoes. I have taught my son to accept who he is and to learn from other peoples mistakes. If anyone has anymore ideas as to what I can do please let me know. Even his doctor and pediatrician are stumped as to what is wrong.

I cannot believe that after 6 months with a personal trainer that your child didnt lose any weight.  I would wonder about that.  I have known kids to sneak snacks, get up in the middle of the night and eat and not remember that they have done that.  I also have alot of problems with the school food.  They serve junk.  High calories and carbs, and not a normal serving size.  You should check on that.  Even if you send lunches with your child doesnt mean he isnt still eating at school.  Possibly even at friends homes too.  Good luck to you

November 29, 2007, 6:56 am CST

It all boils down to PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY

People need to step-up and start taking responsibility.Short of a medical problem, weight is a SIMPLE equation.  Too many calories in and not enough out = weight gain. Yes, it is THAT simple.  3,500 calories equates to on extra pound. If you eliminated 250 calories from your daily diet and exercised enough to burn 250 calories daily, you would lose one pound per week.

People on here saying they are fat but don't eat McDonald's, get a clue! It doesn't have to be fast food to be excessive in calories or fat.  Many people have no clue how many calories they are really consuming, despite nutrition information being right on the package for over a decade now. For example, the  first mom/grandma on the show who were offended that Dr. Phil told them it IS what that 3yr old was eating.  They denied it while a reel showed that over-weight baby eating a thick bologna sandwich.

I am glad Dr. Phil is telling people how it is.  These 145lb kids weigh 18 pounds more than I do. Good grief  How much of an idiot do you have to be to send Dr. Phil  a tape of your child sneaking JUNK food at night and then act like the answer is as elusive as asking, "Where's Jimmy Hoffa?".

Good nutrition starts from birth. Ample evidence has shown that introducing any solids before the age of six months predisposes children to adolescent obesity and diabetes and adult food allergies.  The chemicals and additives placed in baby food are appalling. Meals like"Gerber Graduates" for toddlers should be banned and juice is not a health food. Also, excessive amounts of milk is not a good thing for your baby/toddler.  As for toddlers eating orange chicken fast food, etc,  unacceptable. Nine & eleven year- olds eating an entire large pizza?  Parents who can't control what their children eat? Please, cry  me a river!

I m sick of people, especially the obese, pointing fingers at everyone and everything while stubbornly refusing to shut their pie holes, get off their rears and take PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY.

November 29, 2007, 7:20 am CST

Important topic

I'm looking forward to today's show.  After just seeing the previews and reading about it online, my heart goes out to these families, and especially the children. 

Growing up, food was love, food was comfort, food was security.  Food wouldn't make fun of or reject me, food wouldn't go on drunken tangents or make me feel nothing I did was good enough.  I was an overweight child who developed into a teenager who, depressed, anxious, and desperate to fit in,  developed bulimia and anorexia.  Although I'm much healthier now, I still struggle with food and body image issues at times, particularly when I'm stressed.

I believe that these parents want the best for their children, but are overwhelmed, embarrassed, or, in some cases, unhealthy themselves and unsure how to go about making changes. 

November 29, 2007, 7:21 am CST

Anyone know where the link to win the tredmil is?

I need HELP...I wish so bad I could get the same opportunitited as these families. I saw win a tredmil on Dr.Phil show but can not find where to enter.

Thank,

Camille

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last